Thank George Bush We're Leaving Iraq

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (68 posts)
  1. mortimerjackson profile image58
    mortimerjacksonposted 12 years ago

Despite what Obama's press secretary might tell you, the only reason that America is leaving Iraq is because of a declaration signed by George Bush saying that America will leave by 2011. Obama insisted upon staying in Iraq, but the Iraqi government has refused to grant US troops immunity for their actions in Iraq beyond 2011. Interestingly enough, this shows that the democratic Iraqi government is functioning quite well. 

But the point of the matter is this. When Obama gets credited for pulling troops out of Iraq, know that it was George Bush that got Americans out. Not Obama.

1. Mighty Mom profile image79
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Uh. Who was it that got American troops INTO Iraq?
      I mean, if we're giving credit where credit is due...
      roll

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. Lololo! He sent them in, so the least he could have done was pulled them out. lolo! big_smile

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
          Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thank Bush for leaving office, period!

1. cmontijo profile image60
            cmontijoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha in my house we thing the same Paul hahaha

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
              Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So does 75% of this county and 99% of the rest of the world.

2. Deni Edwards profile image75
      Deni Edwardsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where do you find this declaration?  From my understanding, the declaration was verbal and during a press conference--this, when the Iraqi reporter threw shoes at President Bush.  Post a link to this declaration.  Also, a declaration is not legislation but more of an opinion or promise--just like "Mission Accomplished".

President Obama gave an order for troop withdrawal, not the ex-president Bush.

1. profile image52
        Guitar4christ365posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did you hear? Obama also single handedly killed Osama Bin Laden.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For which we should thank Bush.

1. profile image52

No. We should thank Seal Team 6. Who took names, and kicked ass. Yes, they were sent on the kill mission by Bush, so some of the credit goes to him. But I'm sick and tired of politicians taking the credit, and beefing up their resumes with the accomplishments of our Army. Those guys work their asses off to keep us free.

Really?  I didn't know ex-presidents could do that.

1. profile image52

Last I checked, Osama was alive when Bush was in office. Moron.

Republican

Sorry, that was low.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
              Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And, of course, you're willing to stop criticizing them when things don't work out well??

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
                Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hollywood will never be short for movies thats for sure roll

3. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

NO.

4. Quilligrapher profile image74
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mr. Jackson,

How many times do you want to give President Bush credit for success in Iraq?  Did he not already claim “Mission Accomplished” on May 1, 2003 aboard the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln?  Instead, why don’t you give him credit for all the weapons of mass destruction he found in Iraq?

You should really be giving credit where credit is due! The real truth, Mr. Jackson, is that the mission wasn’t really accomplished until May 1st, 2011, on the 8th anniversary of the "mission accomplished" speech, when President Obama announced Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden had been killed by US forces.

It is much too late to try to polish the tarnished administration of President G. W. Bush.

5. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

EXACTLY!

And lets not forget to also thank George Bush for finding all those weapons of mass destruction, killing Bin Laden, and disproving evolution by his very existence

1. profile image52

Who would you like to give credit to for killing Bin Laden? And I swear to God if you say Obama, I'm gonna flip.

Seal Team 6 gets the credit there, big man. And who sent them out on the hunt? Do your research.

1. Greek One profile image64

Wow, that is really impressive, especially for someone who has been on the site for less than a day.

You manage to freak out over something I didn't type, and then within unwarranted condensation, answer your own question. 

Well done!!!  That's kind of the dedication to 'logic' that got thousands of US troops killed in Iraq.

By the way, like it or not it, it was Obama who made the call to go after Bin Laden in Pakistan.. a potentially dangerous move if it turned out that he wasn't in the compound.

2. cmontijo profile image60

Guitar4christ365 I agree with you 300% because the Seal Team 6 are the one that should have the credit because they were the ones there fighting risking their lives for their country knowing that they can get killed any minute even though they are true experts in that matter.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Destroying thousands of innocent people and a beautiful country to find one man?

Hell if any country did that to mine ,Id want them out too wink

6. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Almost 4 and a half thousand troops came home in coffins.

1. cmontijo profile image60

Sadly this is the truth..Shinkicker...I remember everyday watching the news how many soldiers were reported...etc

7. Ralph Deeds profile image66

George Bush also deserves "credit" for lying us into Iraq in the first place which was the biggest and costliewst foreign policy blunder since Vietnam.

8. GNelson profile image59
      GNelsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is like thanking the guy that stabbed you in the back for pulling the knife out.

9. 2besure profile image81
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Bush, for sending us to Iraq for imaginary weapons of mass destruction! Thank you for all the American who died in vain because of your lie.

10. ElderYoungMan profile image68
      ElderYoungManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Isaiah 5:20

11. ElderYoungMan profile image68
      ElderYoungManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Obama has driven you folks insane.

12. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bush got us into Iraq, he got us out of Iraq. Big deal. And I don't think Obama (or any sitting President in living memory) has every gotten credit for anything he has done. (While in office.)

2. Ruben Rivera profile image61
    Ruben Riveraposted 12 years ago

yes

3. mortimerjackson profile image58
    mortimerjacksonposted 12 years ago

For those who you who want proof to what I am saying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/19/world … wanted=all

This article states the deadline that was set by George Bush, with the UN for troop withdrawal.

I don't bring this up to laud the moronic efforts of George Bush, but rather to criticize a clearly unpopulist and pro-corporate Barack Obama. While Bush would have likely done the same thing had he served a third term (that is, pursued staying in Iraq), Barack Obama is pursuing the EXACT same policies in wanting to continue the war efforts. So when people come and say that it's better to vote for Obama than a Republican, I ask you, what is the difference?

As ridiculous as the Republican party is, I see no reason to vote for Barack Obama over any of their candidates. He is just as bad as the rest of them, and deserves NO credit for pulling troops out of Iraq.

http://news.firedoglake.com/2011/07/05/ … -presence/

Proof that Barack Obama wanted to keep troops longer than the December 2011 deadline.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I say we all should go Conservative and vote out 545 people and start all over again. We are the people; therefore we can do it! smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aren't you guys the same ones who elected Dubya twice?  smile

1. mortimerjackson profile image58
          mortimerjacksonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't vote for Dubya. And as far as I can recall, the guy didn't even win his own election.

2. profile image52

I say, we go Constitutionalist, burn Washington to the ground, redraft the Constitution, Declare Independence from our own stupidity, humbly apologize to the world for our screw-ups, and start over from zero.

2. Quilligrapher profile image74

Hi again, Mr. Jackson,

I get confused very easily and I need your help understanding, not what you meant to say, but with what you actually said. Your words were, “the only reason that America is leaving Iraq is because of a declaration signed by George Bush saying that America will leave by 2011.” When Deni Edwards asked for a link to this “signed” declaration, you replied with a link to an article in the NY Times dated July 19, 2008. My confusion lies in the fact that this article only mentions an agreement that had no timetable. Quite to the contrary, this item clearly states, “The White House offered no specifics about how far off any ‘time horizon’ would be, with officials saying details remained to be negotiated. Any dates cited in an agreement would be cast as goals for handing responsibility to Iraqis, and not specifically for reducing American troops, said a White House spokesman, Gordon D. Johndroe.” Your article continued, “Mr. Bush and his aides, traveling in Tucson and Houston to attend Republican fund-raisers, insisted again that the administration was not accepting any timetable for withdrawing American forces.” The link you provided to us clearly contradicts everything you said in your OP statement.
      This appears to be another blatant misstatement. The only mention of the UN was in regard to a “UN mandate [that] expires at the end of the year[2008].” There was NO “deadline that was set by George Bush, with the UN for troop withdrawal” I wondering where this comes from. 

Ah, but that is not the end of your misleading claims. You offer a second link as “Proof that Barack Obama wanted to keep troops longer than the December 2011 deadline.”  When I read your “proof” I learn it is not President Obama who wants troops to remain beyond the December 2011 date. An embedded NY Times reporter reveals elements of the Iraqi military are pushing for a delay of the US withdrawal.  “Even as few Iraqi politicians are willing to admit publicly that they need American help, Iraqi soldiers say that American troops must stay longer to continue training and advising. ’The Americans need to stay because we don’t have control over our borders,’ said Maj. Gen. Fadhel al-Barwari, commander of the Iraq Special Operations Force.”

I hope you will come to my rescue and explain why there are so many contradictions in your claims. I also hope you will set aside you political opinions and simply focus on the obvious irregularities in your statements.  That would really help me a lot.

I am looking forward to your explanation. Until then, I wish you fair skies and a favorable wind.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here ya go, Quill - 5th paragraph:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/ira … d=12493176

It was a pact between W and Maliki.

1. Quilligrapher profile image74

Thank you, Habee, for your additional reference.  Paragraph five does state “In late 2008, the Bush administration and Maliki's government agreed on a security pact that required U.S. forces to leave Iraq by the end of 2011.”

There is no doubt in my mind that neither President earns an accolade in this matter.  Bush clearly denied on the record in 2008 that he agreed to withdraw by any timetable.  And the current Iraqi government is clearly insisting that we leave by the end of this year.  Either way, I’m delighted to hear our troops are coming home.

Thanks very much for your input.

1. habee profile image93

I'm glad they're coming home, too. I think we need to bring them home from other places around the globe, also.

Q, you are a very patient and intelligent man.

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I'll be honest. I don't care. Just because Bush decided to put a limit on the insanity doesn't mean I should be thankful. Our government has proven, time and again, that promises mean nothing. We could have easily ignored that agreement; had our government chosen to do so.

Don't get me wrong. O'bama gets no credit in my mind. I would have been impressed had he begun withdrawal from both Afghanistan and Iraq; upon taking office. As it is, I see this as a political move, more than one of doing what is right.

1. habee profile image93

I agree with your assessment.

5. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 12 years ago

You are right about this one.  Obama wanted to leave troops in, but the government would not grant them immunity.

Still, giving GWB credit for ending a war that was a huge waste of lives and money is fine.  I hope you will be consistent and also blame him for the stupidity and incompetence of the war itself.

1. habee profile image93

That's right. I, like most Americans, was supportive of the Iraq war when I believed there were WMDs. But once it was discovered that we were going on "faulty intelligence," I was ready for us to get out.

6. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

Thank George Bush for leaving Iraq.

That's like saying thank George Custer for finally taking it easy on the Sioux.

7. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

It's like a plumber coming into your home to fix a toilet that wasn't broken, destroying your home in the process (albeit getting rid of a small bothersome turd in the bowl), and then demanding that the next plumber leave the worksite regardless of the condition of the job

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66

"Small, bothersome turd"=Dick Cheney?

1. habee profile image93

I think Darth is a BIG bothersome turd.

8. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

It's like your minister impregnating your sister then having the alter boy he has been molesting chip in on the abortion and get blamed for the pregnancy by the crazier members of the congregation.

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

And you have listened to the Republican debates and advocate what they want to do if any one of them is elected? You seriously want a GOP run government?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the point is, neither of our nations should have been there in the first place. But, we can thank Tony Bliar and George W, for the genocide they committed in our name.

10. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

George Bush shouldn't have sent troops to Iraq, Obama should have pulle dhtem out as soon as he got in to power.  Lets face it, both parties are equally at fault here. 

The current American defecit could be solved by the removal of all military spending, but it could be drastically reduced by pulling troops back from overseas.

1. habee profile image93

Oli for prez!!

11. profile image52
    Guitar4christ365posted 12 years ago

^9/11 should've gone unpunished?
    And 'the removal of all military spending??' Really? You'd prefer our borders to be unprotected? Ok. Disband the army. Screw the worlds largest most powerful navy. Forget the airforce. But when people come after us, I'm handing you an M16 and throwing you on the front lines.

1. the bunco squad profile image61
      the bunco squadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why ae you Right Wingers so fearful, and quick to send others to die to ease your minds?

1. profile image52

I'm as far from Right wing as I am Left. My point was, disbanding our military and eliminating military spending would screw us over, and I wasn't willing to do that. If he was willing to leave us unprotected, that's fine by me, so long as he realizes I'll be using him as a human shield.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
          Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Our Department of Defense is a misnomer.

It is truly the Department of Offense.

1. profile image52

Even so, whether or not you agree with the actions taken to defend us, they still defend us. Demonitizing them isn't going to help.

They don't defend us. Are you nuts?

Going overseas to bomb people usually pisses them off. Then they tend to want to kill us more. And then stuff like 9/11 happens.

Our DoD does NOT - repeat - DOES NOT DEFEND US. They actually make us much less safe.

The CIA has been telling us about this - they gave it a name: "Blowback" - for 20+ years.

2. Greek One profile image64

What exactly did 911 have to do with Iraq?

Other than the former was used as a pathetic excuse for the later?

12. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

I hate to piss you all off...

... but we aren't leaving Iraq.

We're leaving a few thousand troops there AND the world's largest embassy ever constructed.

1. the bunco squad profile image61
      the bunco squadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever noticed that Right Wingers are like sports fans, they sit their fat butts on the couch and watch a war some how relating themselves to the soldiers that are fighting it. To me it’s a kind of cowardice; they fear something so they send others to die to give them peace of mind.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I watched this phenomenon in disgust.  It still makes me sick to think about it. 

Not all right wingers, though.  Those who have been to war themselves are rarely as eager to send others to fight.

Ron Paul receives more money in donations from military service men and women than ANY OTHER CANDIDATE.

He received more than ALL OTHER R CANDIDATES combined, and much more than Obama.

As I recall Cheney was a draft dodger and Bush ducked into the National Guard thanks to pull from his daddy.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

I'm a bit confused as to why your post was replied to my post...

... were you talking to me?

3. 2besure profile image81
        2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My son ought in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I thank God alone he has come home safe!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)