Finally, Proof that watching Fox News makes you dumber...

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (49 posts)
  1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago
    1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This has confused the hell out of me. I thought you had to be dumb in order to watch Fox news? Chicken...egg..?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a vicious cycle... and proof of reverse evolution.

Indeed it is. I have to admit, however, I've always appreciated the comedy element of fox. When we get glimpses in this country, to me at least, it was akin to watching Robin Williams doing stand up. ROTFLMAO

1. John Holden profile image60
            John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And we supposedly get a very sanitised version of Fox News in the UK!

2. Sue B. profile image94
      Sue B.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought that was very funny! Thank you for passing on. Although I agree I don't completely take the poll as seriously as I would research studies and other more reliable sources, it is interesting.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

Have you watched Sky news in the middle of the night when they "switch" to USA mode?

1. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I've ever watched Sky News, I'm sure I'm missing something!

I do sometimes John, but kinda out of bewilderment. Do people actually buy this? There could be comedy element if it wasn't so tragic.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

Did you see the version of the interview with Murdoch Snr? Where he wouldn't discuss the phone hacking. It was hilarious.

1. carol3san profile image60
      carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Fox version of the news can be so easily challenged.  Thankfully there are peopl who do just that everyday.

4. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Where do you think The Daily Show and The Colbert Report get their material? lol

1. carol3san profile image60
      carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They are a funny bunch of people.  They make those on the fox news channel look a bit ridicules.

2. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Those shows would be out of business without the clown car of news! big_smile

1. LookingForWalden profile image61
        LookingForWaldenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Without a doubt.

5. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 12 years ago

I cut down on watching Fox News when some of the commentators started spouting liberalism on important topics and/or ignoring those topics.   If that makes me smarter, then so be it.
    But hey, I wouldn't put much stock in a "survey" emanating from some institution or persons I hadn't properly vetted anyway.  That's why America's in the pickle it's in now.
    And actually, I'm sure it was a smart move on my part to stop watching CNN too in the first place, long before I got disappointed with some of Fox's stuff. I wasn't able to get Fox News when all the carp started, so I watched CNN.  Boy, yes, I did learn a lot!  I saw liberalism dig its nasty claws into the News arena when the agenda first exploded onto our tv screens.  I guess if they didn't want me to see what was going on, they shoulda hid it.  But alas, it was all there in living color streamed directly into our living rooms.  And some other channels followed, making a mess of what should be good news reporting.

Either way, I'd much rather be "dumb" about some specific facts/timeframes than to be ignorant and/or deceived about an entire ideological stance.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://www.theloopnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Asian-carp.jpg

Why do you have to bring the carp into every discussion?  What did we ever do to you? mad

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol Hi Ron.
        I could write the word without the middle letters transposed, but....then I'm afraid you'd post pix of that.  Ergo, the poor helpless fishy gets the bad rap! wink

2. Xenonlit profile image60
        Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

3. wavegirl22 profile image49
        wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah Ron .  .this is perfect for the party. . Carp (Gefilte fish) goes great on a Friday night with the challah  .. . and since you are bringing the fish . .dont forget the horse radish... .

2. livelonger profile image85
      livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm guessing you might think ChristWire is a better news source.

1. profile image0

Hadn't even heard of it 'til you mentioned it.
        Googled it.
        Is that the kind of warped satire you watch?

1. livelonger profile image85
          livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it's hilarious. big_smile

Remember Poe's Law:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

I've often applied Poe's Law wondering if you're serious about what you write, or if you're just pulling a fast one on everyone.

1. profile image0

You'd do much better if you applied discernment and conscience instead of some "Poe's Law".   I'm neither an extremist nor a satirist.  I'm simply a firm Believer, and that includes belief in knowing what's right and standing up for it. That's crystal clear in my writings, really.  Perhaps you've been reading too many blogs like that one you mentioned, or the Onion, or watching Rachel Maddow?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
          Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Brenda, try the Landover Baptist site. You might like it.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5814889_f248.jpg

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
            Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I must have been struck down by that old devil consumerism.
            I read your suggestion, Ralph, as "try the LANDROVER Baptist site."
            lol

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

A similar study conducted by the University of Maryland, judged how likely consumers of various news outlets and publications were to believe misinformation about a wide range of political issues. The study found that Fox News viewers, regardless of political information, were "significantly more likely" to believe that:

--Most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely)

--Most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points)

--The economy is getting worse (26 points)

--Most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points)

--The stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points)

--Their own income taxes have gone up (14 points)

--The auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points)

--When TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points)

--And that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points)

In addition, the study said, increased viewership of Fox News led to increased belief in these false stories.

Funny. We see these exact same talking points presented and defended regularly on Hub Pages, don't we? Now we don't have to wonder where our fave neocon hubbers are getting their non-news! lol

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can't be.  They never, ever watch it.  They tell us that all the time. 

According to them,  these things just pop into their heads.

U mean like spontaneous deconstruction?
        Or more like divinely inspired?
        Or maybe through their tin-foil hats?
        lol

7. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/CBS_Production_News/18/712/es_oreilly_414_480x360.jpg

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

http://greenfyre.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/fauxnews.jpg

Faux and Unbalanced News

9. mikelong profile image60
    mikelongposted 12 years ago

I think its the hats.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/tin-foil-hat.jpg

La la la la
      Unless your name is O'Reilly or Hannity
      I can't hear you!

10. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://www.reporterslive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/OReilly_Behar-300x225.jpg

11. emrldphx profile image60
    emrldphxposted 12 years ago

A poll of 64 people that listed Fox news as 'a source' they had gotten news from in the previous week.

Firstly, this doesn't address if Fox news is the person's primary source.

Secondly, margin of error on a group of 64 people is +/- 12%!

That means any particular answer for the Fox News category can be off by as much as 24%.

Hardly a worthwhile poll...

Polls are for news, not for real information.

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this
      1. emrldphx profile image60
        emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but I don't care enough to look at every poll you posted. I was curious about the OP, and I ended up with spittle on the screen from a news source citing this as anything near reliable information.

1. Moderndayslave profile image61
          Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

... that's the same poll as the OP stated. Polls aren't good for this kind of thing, because there is no control done for varying factors.

Again, the margin of error for the Fox news group is +/- 12%. Almost the same margin of error for CNN.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64

Just curious, where do you get your information?

from the source of the poll:
        http://publicmind.fdu.edu/2011/knowless/

looking at it again, turns out they weren't smart enough to put a % sign on the number of responses that said they listened to Fox during the past week. So it's not 64 people, it's 64% of 612 people or 392 people that got news from Fox.

But, since it's percentages, it means that only a maximum of 26% of the 612 could have possibly gotten their news chiefly from Fox news, and a minimum of 0% getting their news chiefly from Fox news. There was no control in the poll at all. 612 people with 3439 total news sources.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt that every person who didn't get news from the most popular source also got ALL of their news ONLY from Fox. That's 159 people, which still leaves a margin of error of +/- 7.7%.

http://americanresearchgroup.com/moe.html

This is why these polls are worthless. Nothing in the poll checked to see which news source was the person's main news source. The average person from the poll listed 5.6 news sources they used from the previous week. There is no control.

12. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I watch FOX sometimes, so I guess I must be stupid. I also watch CNN and MSNBC. I read voraciously, from a wide variety of sources - left wing, right wing, moderate, etc. I think you have to do this to get an idea of the truth.

I think that's true. If you only ever read information or watch TV sources that are nearest to your own perspectives, you can't critique. Reading widely allows you to reach your own conclusions. (still think Fox news is a bit OTT, though. Mind you I also think the BBC is very one sided)

2. S G Hupp profile image82
      S G Huppposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I also watch FOX in addition to CNN, MSNBC and what ever else.  Also, when a particular news story gets my attention I try to check out a variety of sources because they all have a different slant.  The FOX news derangement syndrome is pointless.  They slant right but most of the others especially MSNBC (hysterically) slant left.  You can put them all together and get a more realistic picture.   Anyone who is too dogmatic to explore other sources of information is missing a lot  of what is going on in the world.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64

3. LookingForWalden profile image61
      LookingForWaldenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the formula is to take 1/8 of what you read times it by pi squared times the cosine of a quarter of all the news you watch.
      You end up with aprox half the truth after that.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
        AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL

13. JSChams profile image62
    JSChamsposted 12 years ago

You listen to those people? And who is dumber? You think that is unbiased?

14. JSChams profile image62
    JSChamsposted 12 years ago

So is the alternative Current? You know where Keith Olbermann fled to and now gets about 16000 viewers a night? Only the Left believes failing downward is a good thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)