Hub Score, hubber score

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I just happened to notice that somebody asked me a question about increasing their score  weeks ago and I missed it - careless inattention as usual.

I gave an honest answer - which is to say that I don't have a clue.  My score goes up, my score goes down and I never know why.

What I DID get a kick out of was doing a little searching and finding people with very low scores giving confident advice to their readers about how to increase these scores.  Maybe they do have the secret recipe and choose not to follow it themselves?

Or maybe HP has punished them for being too close to the truth?  Yeah, that must be it :-)

HP needs a bot that just automatically answers this with "Nobody knows but HP and they aren't telling".

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They have one.  It's called the FAQ.

From http://hubpages.com/faq/#hubscorecalc
      HubScore takes into account many factors and will change over time as data about its performance continues to stream in. It will also fluctuate quite a bit, seemingly at random, and that is nothing to worry about.....

We reserve the right to change the factors used to assess a Hub’s HubScore as we continue to determine those that measure a great Hub. The bottom line is if you write original, useful content, your HubScores will eventually reflect the quality and work you've put into your Hubs. Please try to avoid getting too hung up on your Hubs' HubScores.

Of course, as I'm sure you're only too well aware, you can lead a person to information but you can't make them think.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it put on its bathing suit either.

Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is there a hub that covers how you might attempt that?  And if so, what is its score?

Relache, , nobody believes the  FAQ because it doesn't tell them HOW other than to suggest writing '"quality" hubs -  which, as I'm sure you know, every single person who ever joined does with complete mastery.

2. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I definitely quit worrying about hub scores a long time ago.  When I was a newbie, I dutifully read the FAQs, forums and hubs on the topic.  And I obsessed about my scores like many other newbies.  Now I just look at them w/ occasional interest and amusement. 

Reading this again was pretty amusing.  For giggles, I took a look at my current stats.  I have a hub in the upper 90s that had 1 visit in the last day, less than 20 in the last week, and less than 300 since it was published as a contest hub in Mar 2010.  And trust me, this is absolutely not my best work.  It was just something I cranked out for the contest, going for the max, just to see if I could. 

On further inspection, seems I have at least 10 hubs with >/= 90 score, that are at least a year old, some almost 2, and have less than 1000 lifetime views.  Most have had only 0-2 view in the last 24 hrs.  Yet I guess the HP secret scoring formula sees some merit in these hubs?  Or maybe they were drawn out of a virtual hat.  

It's a dart board.  I'm sure of it.  I'm going to try to plant a camera or two in HP's offices to catch the staffers in the act of scoring our hubs that way.  Do you know any good operatives I could hire to plant the bugs?

1. missolive profile image61
            missoliveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you are on to something Pcunix - LOL smile

2. rmcrayne profile image90
            rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Take a page from Men in Black.  Orion's belt?  Send them a mascot, like a pug or a Siamese cat, and plant the camera on their collar.

I tried shipping a cat once.  It did not end well.   At the other end, the cat was very, very angry..

3. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
        Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I read that little ditty in my efforts to find out what a hub score meant. It struck me as a very non-answer answer. I felt like I was reading the latest political post.

I even went so far as to wonder if a hub score might be related in some way to my karma. But I was wrong there, too. Hub Pages has its own karma, and that karma has nothing to do with your odds of ending up a marsupial in your next life.

I finally decided that a hub score was an algorithm devised by a disgruntled and misogynistic Hub Pages employee who has made a very profitable upward career move after convincing supervisors that hub scores do, indeed, have meaning. The reports are on their desks every morning to prove hub scores continue to be relevant.

Knowing that has helped me a great deal. Now I ignore them.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if you looked at only "old" Hubbers; but in fairness to some low-score people, some of them are just new- and could be good at researching and writing a solid article.   Then, too, there's the "alter ego" thing, and someone could be writing under another name and score.

Having said that, this site is full of people who have low scores and tell everyone else how to get high scores, and it's full of people who don't earn any money and tell everyone else how to earn it.  I suppose a lot of them may go with researching an article and may assume a well written enough article will have enough credibility.  A good part of the time, though, the author, himself, won't have credibility because what hits a lot of readers in the face is, "How come you aren't doing it, or haven't done it, then?" 

Personally, I tend to stay away from offering any "advice" about anything I haven't already done, or am not doing.  If someone doesn't want to be that subject-shy then he should at least address the issue that's going to hit a lot of readers in the face.  hmm   I think a lot of people just take it for granted that if the thing has been researched and well written that's enough for readers.  Sometimes it is.  Sometimes it isn't.  I think not knowing enough to address the elephant in the room, though, doesn't do much for readers' faith in the writer's ability to know what the reader's looking for.

There's an elephant in the room? 

I thought it was a cat.  I just got new glasses, too.  I think I need my money back.

No, seriously, you are dead right.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)