What type of wine did Jesus produce when he turned water to wine?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (34 posts)
  1. davidkaluge profile image55
    davidkalugeposted 12 years ago

We have heard about the miracle where Jesus turned water to wine. People seem not to understand the type of wine that was made. Some said it was alcohol while some claim it was non-alcohol like fruit wine. I think a knowledge of the wine invoke at that time can give us an idea. Those that oppose alcoholic drink claim Jesus produced non-alcohol while those that take alcohol think otherwise. It is now a doctrine used to for benefit interest so how do we know the truth?

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The guests at the wedding said that Chateau de Jesus was the best wine served throughout the whole wedding. These people would be accustomed to the difference between good and bad wine.

A simple test, next time you go shopping get a bottle of a nice Chianti, Merlot, Rioja, etc and a bottle of non-alcoholic fruit wine. Set yourself up a couple glasses in your kitchen and do some tasting. The non-alcoholic will stand out so far removed from the rest; it will likely be very sweet, will be characterless, empty, and most importantly the taste and nose that alcohol imparts to the wine will be absent.

So at the wedding, if non- alcoholic wine was served to a people who had never tasted non-alcoholic wine, then can anyone be serious when they say Jesus served up sickly sweet, bland, empty fruit juice?

Besides which, wine makes for merriment and Jesus wants us and them to be happy.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
        mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Manichewitz: A sacrificial wine of the Hebrew traditions. If jesus could do such a thing, it would have been a Jewish wine because Jesus was Jewish, at least at one point.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OK a Jewish wine it is then. But my point is, wine needs alcohol otherwise it's glorified fruit juice. Now if for thousands of years God is more than happy with Jews making alcoholic wine without condemnation or laws forbidding it, then why would anyone believe Jesus would suddenly change the rules?

2. melbel profile image94
          melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I seldom (like maybe once a year or every two years) drink alcohol, but I do enjoy Manischewitz, a port wine, or really any dessert wine. Usually at weddings or something. I'll only drink it if it doesn't taste like alcohol. tongue

2. Tyrone Smalls profile image69
        Tyrone Smallsposted 3 months agoin reply to this

So true!

2. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

In ancient times wine was used as a method of preservation and as a means to obtain a beverage that was not laden full of pathogens like most water from wells and streams. It was the alcohol content that made wine and beer healthier beverages than water, since the alcohol would kill the microscopic nasties.

In the story of the wedding feast at Cana, Jesus is described as turning water into wine. In the description of the event, the word used in John 2:9-10 is "oinos", which is the Greek word for the fermented product from grape juice, namely wine.

In Matthew 11:19 it says "The Son of Man came eating and drinking and they say Behold a gluttonous man and a drunkard a friend of tax collectors and sinners". Thus, the critics of Jesus in the days he was alive seized on the fact that he obviously used to enjoy the opportunities to have a good meal and (alcoholic) drink or two.

Naturally, this sort of assertion is hard for sour-faced, miserable-living fundamentalists to swallow and they will do their best to worm their way out of it and back into their killjoy way of life.

1. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I disagree with miserable-living fundamentalists.
      There is persuasive for both non alcoholic and alcoholic wine.

My stance has always been and will forever be non alcoholic wine and the reasons for that i will forgo.

My life is not miserable because i do not touch alcoholic drinks at all and that is just my preference. What others do is what others do. I am fine with my summation and that is all I need.

My life is robust without alcohol and my conscience is clear as well as my head smile

1. WriteAngled profile image73
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have no quarrels with people who forgo alcohol for their own reasons.

I also know very well that alcohol can be addictive and can destroy the lives of certain people. The man I loved was among those. He was finally killed by alcohol last year after turning from a intelligent, witty, loving and compassionate man into a stinking, slovenly, physically violent moron. I bore the brunt of this for 2.5 years.

The solution, however, is not in condemning the vehicle. Excessive quantities of the wrong foods can kill as well, but no one advocates starvation as a general way of life.

People with addictive tendencies, who also feed their depression instead of trying to get help to combat it, will always find a way to kill themselves, regardless of what becomes forbidden.

For the rest of humanity, alcohol can be a pleasure, a means of relaxation and, when not over-indulged actually promotes health.

Therefore, brotheryochanan, if you are happy in your life and do not seek to dictate the way in which I live mine, there can only be peace between us smile

1. JenJen0703 profile image78
          JenJen0703posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, to both WriteAngled and Brotheryochanan, the issue was not whether or not we should drink wine or not.  They drank wine, but God cautioned that we use self-control and not be drunk.  For some, that is easier said than done; self-control in all our actions and moderation.

1. JenJen0703 profile image78
            JenJen0703posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, and I forgot my answer to this forum.  Irregardless what type of wine was produced, Jesus produced the best wine known to the people.

1. profile image0

He does indeed

2. couturepopcafe profile image58
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good info, writeangled.

3. Tyrone Smalls profile image69
      Tyrone Smallsposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Wow! You learn something new everyday!

3. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

A nice blackberry Merlot?  Jesus had to have good taste right?

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking, maybe, tropical-fruit Chardonnay.

4. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 12 years ago

It depends on what everyone was eating, of course. Jesus had several large urns of water to work with, so who's to say he didn't create several kinds of wine, all of them the best?

5. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

I have never heard that any of the wine in the Bible was non-alcoholic.
    Then again, I never heard of any of the bread in the Bible being a round wafer of some cardboard-like substance that sticks to the roof of your mouth, either.
    So what do I know?

I tend to agree with those who state that several vats of water were used. I'm thinking Jesus converted a new vat for each course, saving the final vats for a lovely Muscat or Porto to serve with the wedding cake and maybe a few cigars.
    smile

6. Andy Ramjohn profile image71
    Andy Ramjohnposted 12 years ago

I apologize in advance for the long reply, but the answer requires a thorough explanation..

In the Greek and Hebrew languages, there were thirteen words for the one word “wine” in our English Bible.  If each of these thirteen words had been translated according to their correct meaning, I am sure that there would be no doubt as to the truth of the Scriptures regarding intoxicating beverages.  The word “wine” in our Bible includes all kinds of grape products:  grapes as fresh fruit, grape juice, raisins, grapes prepared as jam or syrup

Fresh grape juice was made to keep without fermentation by boiling until it became thick like molasses.  Then it was stored away in skins or jars for future use.  This preserved grape juice was used in various ways, but mostly as a spread for bread and mixed with hot or cold water, as a fruit drink, as described in the Hebrew Bible by Solomon.  If more of the syrup was added to the water than usual, it was called ‘strong drink’.  The Greek writer, Aristotle, and Pliny, an early Roman writer, both tell of the common custom of boiling down the grapes juice.  Pliny records that, when the grape juice is boiled down to one third it’s bulk, the finest flavour is obtained and then it can be made into the “best wines”

This grape drink was non-intoxicating and was the ordinary drink of the people in the time of Christ.  This being true, we can only conclude that is was this kind of “wine” that Jesus created at the marriage feast of Cana.  It is written in early Roman history, at about the time of Christ, that fermented wines were used almost entirely for certain (heathen) temple ceremonies, and were drunk only by men over thirty years of age.  Women were forbidden to use it except at the temple sacrifices.  (Valerius Maximus, Book II, 1:5; VI, 3: Aulus Gellius, Book X, 23; Pliny, Book XIV, 13.)

When Jesus instituted the ordinance of the holy communion, He said that the wine that was to be drunk was a symbol of His blood.  We know that this wine was not fermented, as fermentation in the Hebrew rituals represented sin,  One day before the Passover lamb was slain, all leaven, or fermentation was to be put out of their dwellings; and, at the Passover feast, no yeast, or leaven,, was used in the bread, as it involved fermentation.  Ex.  12:15-19;  13:3-7.  The unleavened Passover bread was representative of the sinless body of Christ.  Likewise, the unfermented wine represents His sacred blood, which was spilt to wash away our sins.  1 Tim. 5:23 also refers to unfermented wine.  It is a scientific fact that grape juice is especially good for the stomach;  it is high in mineral content and vitamins and is a very satisfying drink.

The use of fermented wine and drunkenness are condemned in the Scriptures.  Prov.  23:29-35 gives us a most solemn warning against the use of intoxicating drinks and reveals the dreadful results of their use.  The 31st verse tells what kind of wine this Scripture is warning against.  “Look not thou upon t he wine when it is red, when it giveth his color in the cup, when it moveth itself.”  You may have noticed how fermented drinks burst forth into a foam as soon as they are uncorked.  The fermentation causes it to “move itself”.  Of such intoxicating drinks God warns us, “At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.”  In 1 Cor. 6:10 we are told, ‘Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards… shall inherit the kingdom of God.’  Surely God would not put His stamp of approval on something that would cause man to lose his eternal salvation.

I hope this helps wink

1. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really? If the fermentation in wine represents sin so much, how come fermented wine is still in use at Seder meals?

1. profile image0

They need to be corrected.

1. Valerie F profile image60
          Valerie Fposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so. The interpretation that Scripture prohibits any consumption of alcohol is a much more recent development than the practices prescribed in Scripture.

I know it will hurt your eyes to read this, but the practice has been since the beginning of Christianity to consecrate and serve wine with the unleavened bread, not grape juice. Why? Because that's what Jesus did, oinos being Greek for fermented wine, after all. And if fermented wine was not allowed in early Christian liturgy, it makes no sense that Paul had to go after the Corinthians for their immoderate consumption and even drunkeness while at table- while neglecting to mention anything about alcohol consumption being in and of itself a sin.

1. Andy Ramjohn profile image71
            Andy Ramjohnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

With all due respect, "the practice" is irrelevant.  Consider Matthew 7:13...
            "Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye."

2. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They distilled lsd from unleavened bread in 40's and it became popular in the 60's. Ergot, a mold found on unleavened rye, was common and I would tend to think that alot of the holly experiences of the day, were the result of eating moldy bread.

3. couturepopcafe profile image58
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Andy, wow that was a lot of very interesting information.  Thank you.

4. profile image0

very astute.
      Thank you.

7. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 12 years ago

Does it really matter?

8. Rain Defence profile image79
    Rain Defenceposted 12 years ago

It was whatever type of wine people want to believe it was. If you want to imagine it was a nice merlot, or a fruit juice, then it makes no difference.

9. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

What type of wine did Jesus produce when he turned water to wine?

I don't think Jesus ever did it.

1. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course!
      You know more than what the Bible teaches.
      We know that!

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bible does not claim and gives reason that it is a perfect book; it is written by the sinful scribes; so one can point out its mistakes legitimately.

10. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 12 years ago

The real issue is not whether or not it was alcoholic, really.
    It's what we make of it.

It seems mankind is "hell bent" (to use an expression) on making doctrines about anything.

Jesus healed a blind man using mud made of spit and dust.
    Does anyone care to make a doctrine out of it. Start making mud from spit, rub into blind eyes, and see them healed?

How about cursing fig trees. Jesus did that too.

Or, catching a fish with a gold coin in it's mouth to pay taxes.

The list is long, but I hope I got my point across.

Oh, BTW, I recon it was alcoholic, and I would be classed as a "fundie" AND, I do take alcoholic beverages. lol

11. davidkaluge profile image55
    davidkalugeposted 12 years ago

Well, certainly we were not there to be sure of the type of wine produced at the wedding. I also note that one of the Apostles took wine because of his sickness or whatever. The point is that some Christains claim that alcohol is a sin while other Christains do not agree that its a sin. That is why I asked the question. Someone said,fermented drink is a sin in Jewsish law so alcohol is a sin.But we know that Noah and his family were saved by God yet same Noah drank wine and was drunk.Bible called it "wine"

1. steveamy profile image61
      steveamyposted 12 years ago

No doubt it was from a miracle vintage ...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)