Are people as good as they look?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. John Sarkis profile image80
    John Sarkisposted 12 years ago

Paraphrasing Schopenhauer "you're as good as you look."  e.g., attractive, clean and tidy people are usually nice and dependable; ugly, dirty and unclean people are usually not nice or reliable.  Question was inspired by a comment one hubber made to another a few days ago.  So, if you were an employer and had to choose by appearance alone, whom of the two would you hire?

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi John,
      Well, I don't think I agree with Schopenhauer. You can't tell what somebody is like just by how they look. It can indicate some things though. If I were interviewing, I would choose the clean and tidy person, since they would appear to care about how they looked, it would mean they had neat habits. I wish I could see the resumes though....

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think I know the comment you're referring to, or at least it sounds very close to one I read a few days ago.
      While appearance registers within the first 3 seconds, it will not always tell the employer what kind of future employee lies behind the appearance. I would ask questions to find the true character, desire and ability of the prospective employee. I may glance at the resume for reference, but would never hire from appearance and resume only.

John Sarkisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ditto rebekahELLE....  Yes, I felt there was some truth to the comment this individual made, however, there are exceptions to every rule.  I personally think people should concentrate on asking questions in an interview instead of just focusing on the way an individual looks and/or is perceived.

Thanks for commenting
        John

3. Justjed profile image61
      Justjedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You cant judge the content based on the container. Looks  can be deceptive and all that glitters is not gold

I love that quote...thanks

4. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Schopenhauer had some serious issues, judging a book by it's cover really was among the least of them.  Unless by book you mean woman and by cover you mean his mother.

Thanks Melissa LOL!  Yes, he did.  If ever an award for curmudgeonism is created, he'd would have won it hands down! 

John

5. profile image0
      Derdriuposted 12 years agoin reply to this

John, This is a question which can be quite controversial. It always can be answered in one of two persuasive ways. For example, yes, people are as good as they look because the appearance indicates respect for oneself and for others. Or no, people aren't as good as they look because the appearance indicates either too little or too much regard for oneself and others.
      Thank you for asking, for inspiring such a quantity of answers, and for providing your own insights.
      Respectfully, Derdriu
      P.S. Do you think the eyes are windows to the soul?

Hello my friend,

Yes, you're so right and furthermore, you've put it quite eloquently.

To your question: what if someone is blind?

Take care and great hearing from you
        John

1. profile image0
          Derdriuposted 12 years agoin reply to this

John, What a fantastic answer which actually illustrates the "inquiry-led learning" which is so popular among environmentalists and environmental educators!
          Respectfully, and with many thanks for starting this thread,
          Derdriu

Derdriu, had you not asked the question I wouldn't had thought the answer.  I was out with my friend yesterday at the mall and was thinking about it.

You take good care of yourself and God Bless
            John

6. Pollyannalana profile image61
      Pollyannalanaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am a business person and I would not even consider someone dirty for a job and I can't imagine who would. Business people don't live in dream worlds, they are in business to succeed not start charities at their place of business. It really would be quite simple to any business person and if the dirty person is smarter than the clean person he would find a mud puddle somewhere and clean up.

2. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

If I had to choose between appearance alone, I would choose the more neatly presented person, simply because having to see a sloven person everyday would drive me nuts. However, I hate to stereotype on appearance alone. Someone may not be able to afford to look top-notch everyday. I go to a University where a majority of the students are fairly well off and wear a different, fancy outfit everyday with all the best accessories.

As for me? I wear jeans, flats, a nice shirt (I never wear t-shirts) and a jacket over top almost every day. I absolutely refuse to stereotype on genetics though. That can't be helped, and just because one person is attractive does NOT mean they are in any way better than an average or even ugly-looking person. As long as they shower and are generally presentable, what their parents gave them should have no bearing on whether or not I would hire them.

3. John Sarkis profile image80
    John Sarkisposted 12 years ago

Hi Jean,

Best to you and your family...thanks for commenting

I don't mean this question to be a good/bad thing, for as Shakespeare said in Hamlet, "nothing is either good or bad..."  However, I think people don't always use their better judgements when interviewing others for a job.  We tend to focus on appearance and there's so much more.  Take my industry for example, unless you know what you're doing you won't survive.  I've started to train people and find out that they know absolutely nothing about medical administration, yet were hired on appearance alone.  If my bosses would have taken the time to ask them questions, they'd realized that these individuals knew nothing about the health insurance industry.  So, my point being that managers need to ask lots of questions instead of only focusing on how an individual looks and/or is dressed.

Take care
    John

Hi Shanna11,

Thanks for commenting....

Yes, we're only humans and do stereotype others, there's little we can do to change that.  I think Schopenhauer was attacking some basic philosophical principals as he oftentimes liked to do, so I don't take what he said too seriously.  However, my point being that sometimes goodlooking and earthy type individuals are more pleasant to deal with than some homely people are.  All said, I think the art of asking the right questions in an interview is crucial.  If not, then you might be hiring someone that will most likely not work out....

Take care
    John

4. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Unless you are a modeling agency, if you hire based solely on looks you deserve the employees you get. After filling your company with pretty boys with no skills you will probably go out of business.

However, skills and abilities being equal, I would favor the candidate who takes the time to look presentable. It shows respect and an attention to detail that (theoretically, anyway) carries over into their work ethic.

Ditto Mighty Mom.  However, it's like I was saying that sometimes an employer might overlook a person's potential, because, of how they're dressed. 

Confidence is another topic that comes to mind and which I'm using a new paragraph to write about.  Confidence is also a smoke screen, because you can appear perky and confident, yet know nothing about what the job requires you to do.

Thanks

5. dmop profile image80
    dmopposted 12 years ago

I believe that appearance has a great deal to do with a person's perception of another, especially in the business world. Take me for example; I ran a small business for 15 years, though I was always clean and dressed well I had long hair for about the first 5 years. One day, I decided to cut my hair so I could donate it to Locks of Love. I immediately noticed that I was treated differently by many of my customers and business associates. With-in a few months I was given a master key to one of the sub-divisions that I worked in frequently. The same people who I had worked with for 5 years were still in charge, but suddenly they trusted me more, and felt that I was more trustworthy. Honestly, they may have suddenly developed an increase of respect for me, but I had less for them. I let my hair grow back out, and they never asked for their key back, in fact I still have it today, though I haven't worked there for several years now. I never noticed any difference in how much business I got or how much money I made just a difference in how I was treated as an individual. It was not like I didn't already know how the world is, I just refuse to not be myself. Long hair or short hair, I am the same person, I am very good at what I do, and any company that refuses to hire me due to my choice of haircut is missing out on my talents. When I hired employees, I was never judgmental of the persons appearance, but honestly, if that were all I had to go on, even I would have to go with the clean cut person over the other, that is just how the world is, and I accept it as it is.

Hi dmop,

You make a great point.  Yes, unfortunately this happens to me quite a bit.  I'm Cuban - Latino, yet do not look Latino to most, in part because I have Armenian background.  Most people think I look Persian, sometimes Jewish, but when they find out I'm Latino, they let their guard down.  I wish us Latinos didn't always get such a bad rap in our country, but unfortunately we do---but as Ricky Lake would have said: "that's another talk show..."

Take care and thanks for commenting
      John

6. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 12 years ago

In my experience with employers, after filling out countless applications, and working with many types of people, and doing different types of work. It really depends on the job you are applying for. Not every boss wants something pretty to look at every day. Unless you are a front desk secratary for a high priced lawyer or a doctor, or work at a fancy hotel at the front desk, most aren't going to care what you look like, and more about what kind of tasks you can perform. But sadly, there are still jobs where looking good is important.

Walmart is one of the largest employers in the world. Have you ever walked into a Walmart and seen a beautiful person working there? Sure there might be a few hotties, but, most people who work there are average looking at best. Some are down right hideous, yet they still manage to have a job. So, to say that all jobs are based on looks would be inacurate.

I worked in a very large factory recently, which had more employees than I have ever seen in my life. I would say that out of all the people I saw maybe 10 percent were attractive, the rest average, and some...well EEEK!! And, the language barrier between 20 different races of people can be very exhausting!
    So, it really depends on where you work.

High end eateries, bars, and shops seem to be where all the pretty people work. Just walk into an Abercrombie store at the mall. You won't see any slouches in there, just a bunch of perky college girls and studs.

But, in general. I don't think looks matter.

Hi brimancandy,

Great point!  Yes, I agree with you.  The only catch 22 is that most people---especially today, because, of inflation, people need better job than those.  However, if things were like they were 30-40 years ago---ditto, because rent was $200.00, groceries were $50.00 (speaking in monthly terms...) ...all said though, I hear people with BA/masters working for walmart because they cannot find anything else....

Take care
      John

7. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 12 years ago

I was reading through this and thinking .. I would be more concerned with   are you as good as you talk?? than are you good as you look...??

You have a point sofs....

8. profile image0
    onlookerposted 12 years ago

Looks can be deceiving, i think. A persons level of intelligence has nothing to do with his/her looks. Some may be the ideal package looks, brain, well dressed, the works. Some may actually be super smart with straight A and not a care in the world towards there dressing sense or any sort of importance to appearances. I would definitely not judge a book by its cover.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting thread John. My son has long hair, at least halfway down his back. Everyone in the family made a big deal about it all his life (probably the main reason why he didn't cut it). The hair issue never came up once when he applied for jobs, only his credentials. He does have really good ones though, and ties the hair back then. I used to work in an accounting dept, and I dressed professionally, or so I thought. But when I began dressing in suits, people who never asked me a question or spoke to me before were seeking out my opinions. It's not right, but appearance does matter. So I have to agree with dmop, and also onlooker makes good points. You can tell how well spoken someone is, even if they aren't well dressed or looking that great on a chosen day. I wish we could have $200 rent and $50 a week groceries again though. Sigh.

2. John Sarkis profile image80

You hit the nail on the head onlooker....

Hi Jean,

Yes...I was thinking also that I attend this really trendy gym-expensive but you do get your money's worth....  At this gym (won't give the name, but it's a very famous gym-world famous) you'll find the best looking and most fit people under the sun - both female and male.  Since tattoos are a big deal nowadays, many of these individuals wear them all over their bodies.  However, in looking close at the picture, it dawned on me the other day that they wear the tattoos in places of their bodies that you will not be able to see if one is dressed in a suit/tie, or a really nice dress, etc....  This is one way a person can look hip, yet not let it get into their business/serious life.

Talk to you later and thank you both
      John

9. Evan G Rogers profile image62
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Catch me if you Can.

Can't argue that point....  I remember this movie, not sure if you do?  "Six Degrees of Seperation."  Will Smith hangs around with really smart and artistic types and gets the scoop on all sorts of information about art, etc...  He then impresses Stockard Channing and few others by making them think he's quite knowledgeable about art, when in fact he's nothing by a hustler....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)