I Can't Believe This! What Happened!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (38 posts)
  1. GAbaptist profile image66
    GAbaptistposted 12 years ago

I have been diligently working on hubs for the past year and had managed to get a few on page 1 of the SERPS, was getting great traffic, finally making monthly payout levels with hpads and was making some good Amazon sales. Last night my traffic dropped to almost nothing and I can't find my pages in the search engines. Why would I get sandboxed!!!!!!!! I have worked hard to do everything the right way and know that I have not done anything that should be penalized by google! I just don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Your traffic only dropped a few hours ago, so I really wouldn't panic about it just yet, as it may well recover or even improve within a few days.

There are lots of threads about loss of traffic, Panda and sandbox effect so it might be worth you reading through a few of them

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

CMHypno's right.  Give your hubs a week or so to recover by themselves.  HubPages wrote a help page for a sudden loss of traffic, which I think is good general advice.  But I wouldn't do anything too drastic straightaway.

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

I'm wondering if something odd is happening with traffic, too. What do you all think the new site design will do to hub traffic, since visitors now have to click under "explore" in order to find the basic Hub button? Or maybe I should log out and see what a visitor would see coming in brand new. Dunno.

I appreciate the wise words of those of you who've been here a while; I've only been on the site for eight weeks & I'm still learning.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Search engine visitors do not see such things.

Hubbers do, and that is another matter altogether.

2. UnnamedHarald profile image92
      UnnamedHaraldposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To get to the basic HubPages, you can also just click on the HubPages link to the far left.

3. NatalieSack profile image61
      NatalieSackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Marcy Goodfleisch:  I believe all users can click on the HubPages logo at the top left of the screen to access Hubs, in addition to the "Explore" option.

5. GAbaptist profile image66
    GAbaptistposted 12 years ago

Thanks Paul and CMHypno, I have been here long enough to know that there are definitely ebbs and flows in traffic, and I have read the majority of the threads that discuss the drastic falls in traffic. Honestly, I thought in my mind there had to be a rational explanation for the reason certain Hubber's views were crashing because my traffic was steadily rising and everything just seemed to be coming together nicely. Now I know that is not necessarily the case.

I am not looking to do anything drastic just yet, but it makes me apprehensive about investing more time in producing more hubs right now. It just takes all the wind out of the sails (sales!) smile  I do appreciate the encouragement and optimism from you guys!

Marcy, I don't think the changes in site design really affect traffic because we shoot more for search engine traffic as opposed to internal hub traffic. When a visitor comes from a search engine they should land on the intended article page without having to do any site navigation.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Welcome to the new reality smile

Sometimes traffic crashes, or Google withdraws their traffic, and you may never know why.
      Maybe now you know how it feels to lose traffic, and have people suggest it is because of something you have done, or written.

2. Les Trois Chenes profile image80
      Les Trois Chenesposted 12 years agoin reply to this
  6. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

Izzy's right about the unpredictability.  Unfortunately writing on HubPages is never an exact science, as the Google algorithim is complicated and ever changing and nobody knows exactly what it's doing at any one time.  Nobody can give perfect solutions, but some people's advice is better than others and I would certainly start with the HP guides.

I have acted on advice and tips from HP and other hubbers and my traffic has recovered in the past.  It might have recovered anyway and the advice might've been irrelevant.  I will probably never know.

But don't panic yet.  Many, if not most, seem to recover within a week or so without doing a great deal.

My own traffic is pretty shoddy at the moment, anyway, although it's not completely crashed - so I am certainly not an expert at this game.

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

This is why it is a thing of beauty to know of OTHER websites where you can write, and link back to your hubs on.

8. andyoz profile image86
    andyozposted 12 years ago

The exact same thing has happened to me twice now, once just before Christmas and then again about two weeks ago.  Both times I lost 80% of my traffic overnight.  It hit me hard but I found that five days later on both occasions, my traffic came right back.  No idea why it happens, but is a bit of a shock when you see all your google positions vanish overnight.

1. GAbaptist profile image66
      GAbaptistposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope that happens for me Andy! As of right now my traffic is just a trickle, but we'll wait it out.

9. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I am reasonably certain that I hit a new traffic low for the year today, but it has already turned around.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine hit a low too.  Lowest since Christmas Day.  Which is pretty bad when you think about it.

10. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 12 years ago

Same here. When you take out these crazy "fake views".

1. WannaB Writer profile image87
      WannaB Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What are "fake" views?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well for one - hubpages counts the author looking at his own hubs in the view stats.

2. IzzyM profile image86

There's been 'bot' visits apparently from Facebook on some of our hubs over the past few days. I myself got 3000 of them over a 6 hour period.

They register in hubstats, but not in Adsense, Analytics or Hubads.

HP staff have confirmed they all originate from a single IP address.

11. beagrsv profile image62
    beagrsvposted 12 years ago

I'm wondering if the last months algorithim change refering to ad placement above the fold could have anything to do with it? Any sudden drop in SERP traffic is a concern. I am gald to have fellow hubbers with experience at the ready to answer our questions!

12. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Looks like I'm in good company--the new low views company!
    What on earth is going on,indeed!

13. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

My new-week upswing happened a lot sooner than usual this weekend! My pulse rate has quickened. big_smile

14. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

May I offer some suggestions here:

Join Info Barrel

Join Xobba Tribune

Join Blogger

Best Reviewer.

All of those sites offer you various advantages, and with all of them you can create DOFOLLOW links back to hubpages whilst at the same time creating original and related articles on revenue sharing sites.

Don't worry - be proactive.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A worthy post! smile

15. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image84
    Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 12 years ago

Yesterday and today my traffic went way down, too. I don't really try to understand it anymore. I just go with the flow.  The reading material is still available -- good hubs to read day after day.

16. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 12 years ago

In Analytics, it looks that by midnight, my Sunday views will be equal to last Sunday's. My traffic dropped a few percent with the new Hub design, but with the contest and using rss feeds to promote those hubs, traffic came back up yesterday.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have not seen you in awhile.

2. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is definitely a downturn - probably based on the Panda refresh (made sure thast everyone targeted was hit properly)
      => Hubpages on Quantcast  down
      => Many hubbers report trend is down
      => The Earning Stars traffic is down
      => Traffic on my other sites is down
      => My Subdomain traffic is down

for me the shift to higher paying CPC seems to be working as CPM is up despite lower traffic. [record high]

On and on and on
      Keep on dancin' baby
      Till the night is gone

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image94

Up to 1725 hubs now - that's quite some feat!  :-)

1. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just keeping up with broken links would be a feat.  Any other modifications, well the thought makes me tired.

Yes, I personally have struggled to make it to 200 hubs, because I've ended up deleting or moving so many.   Respect to Patty though!  :-)

17. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

My views have dropped, too - I realize I'm new here, but the drop is inexplicable and very noticeable. 

Does anyone else wonder whether the design change could have affected things through the absence of the Hubs button on the main menu, across the top?   "Explore" may not mean much to visitors, and people in general don't like for extra clicks to be added to a site.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Sorry to hear your views have dropped, but this will have absolutely nothing to do with your drop in views.
      It's Google shoogling things around again, and it will settle down.

I agree, the HP site appearance being changed at the same time that Google were introducing their changes and views began falling was almost certainly pure coincidence.  (I wish that was the culprit, as I'm sure that HP could quickly and easily rectify it smile)

2. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Izzy and Paul, traffic drop is unrelated to the new format.

Visitors are searching in Google, Bing, etc, clicking on a link, and going directly to the page.  If searchers view more than one page, they are most likely clicking on 'related hubs' selected automatically by HP based on tags, on the right side bar, or clicking on links we've included in our pages.

18. incomeguru profile image95
    incomeguruposted 12 years ago

Many of us have deleted some low performing hubs, with a view that traffic will bounce back. Surprisingly, it was fake traffic from facebook that some of us here have been experiencing.

19. jenniferrpovey profile image77
    jenniferrpoveyposted 12 years ago

I think I got some of that fake traffic, too...ah well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)