Unpublishing Articles

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 11 years ago

How long should you wait after you unpublish an article before republishing it on your blog or other website? I mean, so that Google doesn't see it as copied material?

1. profile image0
      jenuboukaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is a great question; I was wondering that myself.  I think it took my blogger content about a month to lose its cached mark. 
      Although I would like to hear some other people's thoughts.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mine only took about two weeks.

2. sonnys profile image40
      sonnysposted 11 years agoin reply to this

as soon it doesn't show up in google

3. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had a few that took over a week to de-index from Google

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I'm wondering whether it matters, if you're posting to your own blog.

Obviously, if you're reposting to another rev-sharing site, you have to wait till the original is gone to avoid triggering duplicate content filters.  But if you're posting to your own blog, I'm not sure it's as big a deal as some people think.

Anyway, if you have a Wordpress blog, you can always schedule the posts.

1. rmcrayne profile image91
          rmcrayneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts too. 

Wait 2 weeks, re-post to your blogs, and don't worry about it.

2. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

You can get Google to de-index the hub urls

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals

Is pretty quick - couple of days tops

1. profile image0
      Marye Audetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have unpublished over a hundred and am still working on them...I don't think I want to have to do ANYTHING by hand. smile

1. Lauryallan profile image70
        Lauryallanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Mary sorry to hear that you are deleting stuff off HP. Can I ask where you are moving them to instead?

2. profile image0
      jenuboukaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the link, a couple of days sounds way better than a month.

1. teaches12345 profile image77
        teaches12345posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for asking this question, Marye. I have not as many hubs as you, but I see a couple that are falling and wondering what to do with them.  I will have to update them first and then see what happens.  Grateful for CMHypno's link contribution.

3. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 11 years ago

i have several blogs and hosting space to host as many more as I like. Right now my food blog, RestlessChipotle is actually pulling in more in adsense than hubpages and I will break 200,000 views this month compared to the estimated 60,000 on hubpages.

4. prairieprincess profile image92
    prairieprincessposted 11 years ago

I did that with a couple of articles,  which I placed on my blog. I kept checking Google with a long-tail phrase to see if it was still cached and I think it took about 3 weeks or so. If you have a lot of backlinks, I think it might take longer.

5. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

This thread makes me sad....

6. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 11 years ago

I too had the same question in mind. An article of mine on a different site "got lost" when I added content and hit the publish button. My request to admin to reinstate that page has not been attended to. Fortunately I have stored the text of this article and the images as well. I guess I will hang on for a couple of days and then publish that article on my blog if the site's admin does not seek, find, and re-instate my article. smile

7. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

I had a single article over at Squidoo that never got traffic since its publication.

I republished it on Hubpages but I waited two weeks before publishing here Marye,

Hope that helps.

8. Bill Yovino profile image88
    Bill Yovinoposted 11 years ago

Sounds like the "Abandon Ship" signal has been sounded. Writers want to be read.

1. profile image0

Bill - for me it is not so much abandon ship as try to make up the income somewhere else. I am leaving the majority of my hubs up - I only unpublished about 200. I looked at my stats after the update last February and it went on for 3 months before things bounced back and worked out. This may be as long or longer and I do not have some of the sources of income now that I had then. Personally I love Hubpages and I wont be leaving... just taking time away from here to get income from other sources..since it seems to have dried up here for some of us.

1. Bill Yovino profile image88
        Bill Yovinoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Understood. It's really a shame that Google is painting all Hubbers with such a wide brush. I'm starting to think that the sudden rash of changes to Hubpages layouts is a panicked response to the Google downturn, not a contributor toward it. I'm never going to make much (if any) money from my writing. My reward is seeing that people are reading my hubs and hopefully finding them entertaining or useful. The diminished number of page views hurts my ego, not my wallet.

I write hubs when I have something to say and try to code them with the correct tags and accurate summaries. I don't use backlinks or spend any effort trying to apply SEO techniques. Somehow, possibly with dumb luck, I had several hubs that were consistently in the top 3 Google results. Now they've all been relegated to the cheap seats.

I will ride this out for a while and hope that things get better.  I really would appreciate some candid information from Hubpages about these problems.

1. profile image0

I think we all would like to hear something "offocial".. but I doubt that they know much yet and are probably not wanting to make a statement without undertanding the whole picture. Keep in mind that when our incomes drop 60 or 80 percent so do theirs! It is in their best interests as a business to figure out what is going on and help us to fix it asap. I am sure they will. They are good about that.

2. rmcrayne profile image91
          rmcrayneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same here.

9. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Marye - I agree with you; the site is as concerned as we are about any fluctuations in traffic.

I'm truly sorry & concerned that your traffic here has slowed so much. You are one of the people we all look to as a role model, and your success is a big reason many of us joined this site.  I admire your candor and straightforward information here on the forum. It's probably more appreciated than you realize - especially by those of us who are new here.

1. profile image0

Thank you, Marcy. I really do feel that when someone is held up as an example (which I promise you, I do not feel like an example!) then that person has the responsibility to make sure that others know of their problems as much as their successes. In this way everyone stays real and expectations are real - not fantasy. smile Your words made my day - thank you.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

wink

10. profile image0
    Vincent Mooreposted 11 years ago

Being a Poet, I never came here to make money. Although I fully understand writers who scribe with articles here to make the money, They want to be shown the quad as used in Gerry McGuire, show me the money:-) So if one is affected by Panda or any other deterrent, I fully understand why one would pull their hubs here and try elsewhere. I pulled a number of my pieces from the Hubs to try them on other sites. I've since tested and found the best response to my work is right here at the Hubs.

So I unpublished them from those sites a couple of days ago and now have to wait for de-indexing before I republish again at the Hubs. I did try one and sure enough when I clicked the publish button the warning came up that it was duplicate content, so I deleted it and will have to wait out a couple of weeks or so before attempting to place them back here. I truly believe that the Hub family like atmosphere here creates a lot more traffic to ones hubs than elsewhere like Squidoo or Wizzley. Even my own site Poetry In Motion was a slow go, heck it may be my poetry:-))

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)