For all intensive purposes...

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (59 posts)
  1. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 11 years ago

Please post your least favorite misused/misspelled word or phrase

1. Mmargie1966 profile image84
      Mmargie1966posted 11 years agoin reply to this

sup?

1. jacharless profile image76
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+7 !

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Motown covered some of this a while back...

http://motown2chitown.hubpages.com/hub/ … er-Written

Intensive porpoises is one of my favorites from that page.

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

She is funnier then I am.

smile

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Awww, Mark!  Thanks for the plug, my friend.  I hyperventilate when someone feels 'badly.'  But I think the one that hurts the most is 'conversate.'  I hate it spoken and written and it makes me want to jump off a cliff.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Was just about to post that the title was in error smile

lose/loose is a biggie for me. Even people who seem to be very literate use it and it drives me to distraction smile

4. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 11 years ago

"Reticent" for "reluctant." I even see that in magazine articles from time to time.

5. rmr profile image67
    rmrposted 11 years ago

"Irregardless" is one of my biggest pet peeves. I also see a lot of people using "logistical" when they really mean "logical."

6. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 11 years ago

Someone at my office wanted to "esculate" a matter instead of elevate. 

Another co-worker years ago occasionally said certain things should be "nipped in the butt" (instead of bud).

1. rmr profile image67
      rmrposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL! I was nipped in the butt, once. That dog never did like me.

1. Pamela N Red profile image85
        Pamela N Redposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I once had a tenant in some property I managed who called up screaming that the AC was out & she had to take her son to the hospital because he was having 'conversions.' (convulsions). 

I also love people who buy their homes through the services of a relator. 

And of course, let's not forget the issues our former president George W. raised about nucular weapons.

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I was an x-ray tech, I constantly had to ask women if there was any chance they might be pregnant.  One told me "No, I had a tubal litigation."  My cohorts and I joked that this is when your lawyer sterilizes you.

1. profile image0
        Chris Hughposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I once had a client who pleaded guilty to a shoplifting charge but wanted to put off doing her electronic monitoring until after her daughter's H.S. graduation.

So she asked me if she could get a "stay of execution."

I fixed it so she didn't get executed at all.

Actually, her terminology was technically correct (we stayed the execution of the sentence), but it sounded funny anyway.

1. Aficionada profile image79
          Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is hilarious, explosive humor for me.  I plan to add it to my "Norman Cousins" list of how to laugh your way to better health.

2. profile image0

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

2. SmartAndFun profile image95
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Another one that fits in this category is "jewlery."

8. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Oh yeah - a few others:  Please, Heavenly Father, protect me from ever again having a blind date with a man who thinks the word 'wash' has an R in it. 

Or someone who politely asks me to "pass them potatoes, please.".

And if someone thinks Brie cheese is pronounced Bry, we may not be a good match.  I know I'm picky, God, but I also know you don't want me to go to Hell for manslaughter.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You would not go to hell for manslaughter. All you have to do is repent your sin and you're forgiven. So, feel free to kill whomever. lol lol

Edit: @OP- there are way too many to list. lol

2. Pamela N Red profile image85

The word wash does have an "R" in it in the south. Yankees from up northeast sent all their extra R's down south since they weren't using them in words like "garage" and "car".

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

These drive me crazy.

breath/breathe come on... She took a breath.  I like to breathe fresh air.

and

quite/quiet  come on again...  I was up quite late.  I like a quiet, rainy night.

someone at my work place says, "you welcome"...

A quiet rainy night? I don't get those. sad

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You don't get it, or you don't get quiet, rainy nights? tongue 
        Quiet, meaning there is no other sound except rain. smile

A genuine smart a$$. smile I knew there was a reason I liked you. tongue lol I don't get quiet rainy nights. Most of the time, I can hear the rain pounding on my windows of my room. It doesn't help my room is in the front of my apartment. tongue
          Oh okay. I thought you were talking about it raining without making much sound. Thus, quietly raining. tongue

10. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

Mine's not funny but I cannot stand when people use good instead of well.  It drives me up the wall.  My ex used to say we had the only 2 year old in the world that would answer "I'm well" when asked how he was feeling.

I say I'm well. But, then again I also say I'm good or I'm fine. tongue

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure you are both good and fine wink

lol lol

Like George Carlin once(or many times) said- I have never been "fine and dandy". I have been fine, but not dandy. I was once dandy, but not fine. But, when he recalled- he was fine and dandy for about 5 minutes, but no one asked how he was at the time. lol tongue

11. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

I usually say I'm great.  It bothers me when people say a task was done 'good' rather than well. 

Thanks for the tip about repenting, Cags - I feel better now.

lol lol

12. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 11 years ago

My pet peeve is the word definitely, which is frequently misspelled as definately. Drives me crazy.

My other favorites result from stranger's versions of the word cochlear implant. We've heard "cocular implant" and "ocular implant." The first version reminds me of the George W. Bush "nucular" and the second would refer to an eye implant, not an ear implant!

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Always hated it when patients told me they had "rotator cup" problems instead of "rotator cuff", or "corporal tunnel" instead of "carpal tunnel", or when a parent said their child was "artistic", meaning "autistic".

1. leahlefler profile image95
        leahleflerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was at a gathering where someone referred to an umbilical cord as an unbiblical cord. I nearly died laughing.

2. profile image0

Or spelled "defiantly." I've seen that a lot.

13. j-u-i-c-e profile image94
    j-u-i-c-eposted 11 years ago

This one drives me bonkers: ect. instead of etc.

14. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 11 years ago

Using YOUR as a substitute for YOU'RE is just ridiculous, but I see this one persistently.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your so right.

1. getitrite profile image72
        getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ridiculous! lol

15. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Specific.  Not pacific.  As in "I am pacifically speaking about something".

16. profile image0
    Chris Hughposted 11 years ago

"This begs the question"

I hate that. "Begging the question" is a specific logical fallacy from the world of college philosophy classes. Until some dummy heard it and passed it around to all his idiot friends in  television. Every time I hear that expression I want to smack somebody. And I'm usually against senseless violence.

17. profile image0
    Chris Hughposted 11 years ago

"Between you and I" or "Ask Sheila or I" or "Take a picture of she and I".

It's ignorance mixed with pretentiousness. Just because something sounds awkward, doesn't mean it's correct.

18. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

I cringe when I hear sentences like, "Jane and myself went to the mall."

1. profile image0

That would make me have to drink - heavily.

19. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 11 years ago

Another one that gets me is the use of the word "got" for "must" or "have."

"I got to get those shoes!"

20. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

@ Chris Hugh - I'm going to adopt your sentence as my Grammar Battle Cry: Just because something sounds awkward doesn't mean it's correct.

Love it!

1. profile image0

Hehe, thanks, Mary:) I'm honored.

21. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years ago

I had a lysdexic friend once who had a peach inspediment...

22. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years ago

Just saw a FB posting from a guy who is tired of being "taken for granite".

Is he hard to get a long with? smile

23. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

I had a friend that used to have a strange saying.

"Are you writing a book, or do you want a chest to pin it on. "

24. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

I had a friend years ago who liked to make sangwiches.  I have another acquaintance who likes nice green salats.

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL I heard samwiches

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

with pasghetti?

25. Pamela N Red profile image85
    Pamela N Redposted 11 years ago

People who writer "are" in place of "or". That one drives me nuts. I realize southerners say "are" but please write it correctly.

Should be "write" not "writer".

2. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Careful on the regional stereotyping there! big_smile Most of the southerners I know would say "er" for "or." I lived most of my life in the South and did not see that misspelling until I came to the Midwest (where I live now).  Here, a lot of uneducated people write are when they mean our. I see it practically all the time, and I dislike it too - intensely (or is that intensively?) - no matter where the writer or speaker is from or where they currently live.

One of my favorite misspellings is a complaint about the "mill due" in a condominium.

26. ddsurfsca profile image72
    ddsurfscaposted 11 years ago

I detest people who ask me,  "Wasup".

I also don't like those who think this is a correct sentence:
        "I don't know where the book is at".

27. prettydarkhorse profile image56
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

I have many of those plus my accent smile.

Topic related to this thread - cursing in different languages and culture

I don't like insults and cursing (I curse silently, I usually say father fu**er smile smile 
    Mother is always the target - mother fu**er, how about father fuc**er for a change

Private parts - bollo**s (British), assh**e, you're a dickhe**, those things smile

Toilet humor and animals -- Bullcr**p, Bullsh**t - just say baloney smile
    Cows can become holy like holy cow!

Sarcasm could be insulting depending on other people's way of living - usually the way they talk, accent, food and preferences

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)