Has anyone here been getting a lot of spam comments on their hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (20 posts)
  1. jennzie profile image71
    jennzieposted 11 years ago

Just in the past 10 minutes or so I've already gotten 3 spam comments, all on the same hub! And whenever I delete one, it seems another immediately comes up!

I'm sure that when I wake up tomorrow (it's almost 1 in the morning now) I'll have many more to delete.

Ugh, is there a way to stop these spam comments??

1. jennzie profile image71
      jennzieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, and it's all from the same 'person' (or rather, ROBOT). Its name is listed as SwearneTrouro.

2. CWanamaker profile image93
      CWanamakerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I have gotten quite a bit as well.  They are all from different IP address though.

3. Trish_M profile image80
      Trish_Mposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi smile

I have just deleted 16 spam 'comments'; all supposedly from different people; all on the same hub!

I hope that this isn't going to become a long-term problem sad

4. robie2 profile image78
      robie2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The worst seems to be over, at least for me. No new spam in three days, but three days ago I deleted a ton of them and for what it's worth you are far from alone--there seems to have been a Hubpages wide " attack of the spambots"

Here's a link to a question somebody asked about all the spam with replies from lots of us who have been getting it.

http://rocknj.hubpages.com/question/180 … swer524098

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6734275_f248.jpg

2. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

It appears that a lot of hubbers have been hit with the same problem today:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/98876#post2114096

Sorry it's happened to you too!

3. JKenny profile image89
    JKennyposted 11 years ago

Yep it happened to me too, its probably just a temporary thing. I just hit the delete button without a second thought.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image91
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years ago

Already under discussion at

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/98876

5. jennzie profile image71

I didn't get any other spam comments since I last posted, so at least there's that.

Anyhow, thanks for answering everyone- I knew that I couldn't be the only one. smile

6. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 11 years ago

Same thing has happened to me. I'm just deleting them one by one, but that does take a bit of time, and it's frustrating when you're hoping you've got a comment from a reader, only to find it's a pile of junk. If I take no action, will the HubPages system - which is recognising most of these as spam - delete them automatically?

7. LucidDreams profile image64
    LucidDreamsposted 11 years ago

Yeah, I received two different spam comments today so far. No biggy, I just delete them.

8. LucidDreams profile image64
    LucidDreamsposted 11 years ago

Make that 3

9. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

Don't forget to check this link though, as you probably won't be notified about the spam otherwise (most spam does not generate a notification to you, only occasionally do hubbers seem to get emails about comments that HP has already determined are spam).

http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/comments?co … ilter=Spam

1. Trish_M profile image80
      Trish_Mposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear. Yes. Lots more!
      Thanks smile

10. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90

I have two thoughts, and I wonder if they are constructive suggestions which could be followed through by HubPages.

1) It takes a lot of time to delete these spams, and there doesn't seem to be any way of deleting them en masse. They have to be done individually. I wonder if it would be possible to have the facility to go to 'Comments' on the 'My account' page and then to the spam filter and delete them all with just one click rather than individually? Alternatively maybe it would be possible to have the facility to have the spam comments automatically and routinely deleted after a period of time - say one week or one month?

2) I visit HubPages every day and I only have 61 published hubs, so it's not too much of a hassle for me to delete spam comments. But many hubbbers have many 100s of hubs, and some - because of time constraints, vacations, illness etc - may not visit the site this week or even this month. I suspect there will be people who will get a really unpleasant surprise when they next visit HubPages and find 100s or even 1000s of spam comments to delete. I regularly get notifications on my e-mail address from HubPages about new hubs, comments, contests etc, and these are always welcome, but no notification has been received about this spam problem. I wonder if HubPages could send notifications about this kind of problem to members' e-mail addresses, so that everyone could be aware of the problem at an early stage and start deleting the spam before the level of spam received becomes almost insurmountable?

Just a couple of suggestions which may or may not be practical. I wonder what anyone else thinks?

11. Mmargie1966 profile image85
    Mmargie1966posted 11 years ago

I have received two in two days.  I don't think its a big deal at this time.  I just permanently delete them.  However, if it continues, it very well could become a problem.

I'm keeping watch.  I hope the spam comments end for all of us soon.

12. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 11 years ago

Think this has stopped for now?  I need to change my comment section back to allow non-registered readers comment.  Thanks.

13. jennzie profile image71

I've still been getting some spam, but I think it's slowing down- at least for the moment. I guess we'll see.

14. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90

I've not had any spam comments now for the last two days. Looks like it may be over, or do the spammers just move on to other fresh victims after a few days?

If it is over and the spammers have in some way been derailed, who is responsible for successfully stopping them? Is it HubPages? Or Google? or who? Whoever it is, they deserve commendation.

15. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

I haven't been getting spam on my hubs, although I've seen it on hubs by hubbers I follow. I've been getting spam in my email though. ANNOYING!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)