Is vaccination motivated by financial and not health interests?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (55 posts)
  1. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 11 years ago

"The vaccine program is based on financial interests, not health, as serious side effects are routinely ignored and ineffective and/or harmful products continue to be used" 

There is evidence all over the Internet to support this, albeit from "unofficial" sources, whilst "offical" studies and statistics are funded by the vaccine manufacturers themselves.

Merck accused in court oof vaccine fraud
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic … L_artNew_1

Court rules that MMR vaccine caused autism
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic … utism.aspx

What do you think?

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think there is also evidence all over the internet to support the idea that aliens kidnap humans, use anal probes on them, implant devices under their skin and return them to earth.

Don't believe all that you read.

1. profile image0
        rickyliceaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. sannyasinman profile image59
        sannyasinmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, don't believe all that you read, especially where it concerns vaccine effectiveness and safety from "official sources"; especially when the research and statistics which "prove" this are funded by the vaccine manufacturers, or other "professionals" in collusion with them .

Inform yourself, even from "unofficial" sources, use your own discretion (while you are still allowed to) and make your own decision.

It is your body. Don't you think you should have the right to decide what gets put into it?

1. Brook Health Care profile image59
          Brook Health Careposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please look into the complications and deaths that occur as the result of the diseases that are being vaccinated against.  You may surprise yourself.  they far out number the assumed risk from the vaccine.

2. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello Sannyasinman. I hope you are having a great day and I thank you for inviting me to add my facts to your assumptions.

Here are three of your assumptions,  “{1} the vaccine program is based on financial interests, not health, {2} as serious side effects a routinely ignored and {3} ineffective and/or harmful products continue to be used.” Links always lead to more claims and assumptions but never to proofs.

First, data derived from scientifically sound research can not be challenged with arguments of motive. The data stands on their own merits and they are disconnected from the motives of the researchers. Trying to undermine the research data by claiming Merck researchers are motivated by financial, not health, issues is easily the least effective argument anyone could use. The only way to discredit the scientific data is to scientifically prove the data are wrong.

All vaccines, all medications for that matter, have side effects. Some are minor and others may be severe but there is no credible evidence that “serious side effects are routinely ignored.” Innuendo, suspicions, and anecdotes lead to hasty generalizations that are not sufficient justification to abandon a tested vaccine that has been proven widely beneficial. Nor is it rational to try to portray ALL vaccine researchers, manufacturers, and pediatricians as greed driven ogres without carefully scrutinizing every allegation.

Nearly 20-% of MMR recipients experience one or more side effect from a list of known issues. At one extreme, in really rare cases, “(less than 1 child out of 1,000,000 given measles vaccine) children have developed encephalitis 6-15 days after vaccination.” (1) On the other hand, 95 out of 100 of those who receive the first MMR shot after 12 months of age are likely to achieve lifelong immunity from measles, mumps, and rubella. To measure the risks against the benefits, you have to do the math. The chance of encephalitis = 00.0001% while the chance of lifelong immunity=95.0000% or greater.

Thanks for starting this thread, Sannyasinman. I always learn from researching your posts.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
      (1) http://www.immunizationinfo.org/vaccines/measles

Quoted from your own reference . .. 

Whooping Cough Cases Up; NY Health Dept. Urging People to Get Immunized
        http://www.immunizationinfo.org/pressro … -immunized

Immunization and Vaccination are not the same thing. The only way to be truly immunized is to have contracted the disease in question, usually in childhood. 

People who have Immunization do not get the disease again, but people who have been Vaccinated often do, even after numerous "booster shots". With natural Immunization, the body's own immune system has developed antiobodies, which are good for life.

I presume therefore, that this is a deliberate attempt at deception . . even from an "official" source.
        How surprising. 

And . .
        Did vaccines really eradicate diseases? Really?
        Read this (the pdf report) . . .   
        http://preventdisease.com/news/09/11100 … ions.shtml

and this . .
        http://preventdisease.com/news/10/10251 … shtml#Typh

By the way Quilligrapher, I have another contentious subject for you to really get your teeth into. Interested?

3. a49eracct profile image61
      a49eracctposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, this is a double edged sword. I believe certain vaccinations are good- such as hepatitis and polio. However, there are vaccinations I believe are a scam because we can survive them- chicken pox and the flu. I have never had a flu shot, and I've never had the flu. I've had chicken pox and lived, and studies show that most people who get them as children (such as myself) will not get them or shingles later in life. People who do get the vaccine for it have to continue getting it for the rest of their life every so often to avoid getting the virus. Can you say "money making machine"?

1. Terri Meredith profile image69
        Terri Meredithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

a49eracct:  THANK YOU!!!  I had chicken pox and a vacation from school.  I'm still living.  My children had chicken pox and are all still living.  I had German Measles...pretty rough...but survived.  My brother had mumps on both sides, he's still living.  I had what was called the 4 day measles (or was it 3?)  I'm still here.  I'm one of those who get whatever new flu comes along.  I survive without rushing off to the doctor's for every sniffle.  I've had pneumonia 3x.  Still here.  I've always been extremely active and out and about, so I guess I got exposed all over the place.  Now, I don't advocate that all vaccines are poison.  I don't know.  But I can agree that there is absolutely no need to get a shot every time some pharmaceutical company thinks I should.  I'll live (or die) with the consequences of my actions.  My choice.  Not some numbskull's who thinks he knows what's best for me.

1. a49eracct profile image61
          a49eracctposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My goodness you've been through a lot! I wish that schools did not require by law for children to get vaccines, the diseases sure- but the contagious stuff our immune system can fight off on its own- is taken care of best by that alone, without the "help" of a vaccine.

4. profile image0
      rickyliceaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess the decline in diseases that are supposed to be prevented by vaccines and the widespread use of vaccines is just a coinkidink?
      http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/b … ks_specter

Do some vaccines occasionally harm even kill people, but so do surgeries so might as well say that cancer  surgeries are just a conspiracy by doctors.

Someone who already has a life treatening illness such as cancer, and decides to accept the risks inherent in radiation treatment or invasive surgery, hoping to be cured, is one thing . 

With vaccination, you take a PERFECTLY HEALTHY person, and inject a vaccine into them, often against their own better judgment, as a result of which they may suffer severe side effects, contract a debilitating condition such as autism, or even die, as many, people have.

Can you see the difference?

2. Barbara Kay profile image75
        Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whooping cough is going around the US again. Some people have died from it. I'd say I want to be vaccinated.

Worst whooping cough outbreak in over 50 years happening among the fully vaccinated

http://www.naturalnews.com/036560_whoop … tions.html

1. Quilligrapher profile image73

Hello Sannyasinman.

Very nice of you to sound the alert. I found your particular link to naturalnews.com extremely interesting especially when I compared this author’s words to the actual abcnews.go.com article. Perhaps you should do the same.

This author manages to copy and paste his own brand of distortion. Here are the second and third paragraphs from his article word for word. “Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases reports 18,000 nationwide cases of pertussis so far this year - twice as many cases as there were at this time in 2011 and matching the 1959 numbers reported by this time of the year.

Pertussis is a bacterial infection involving the respiratory tract that spreads by coughing and sneezing. It often starts out like the common cold, but can become a life-threatening infection, particularly for infants under the age of one.”

The quotation marks are mine because none appear in the article. Now here are the original paragraphs in the abcnews.go.com piece before they were plagiarized:
            “Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said doctors across the nation have reported more than 18,000 cases of pertussis so far this year. That is more than twice as many cases as there were at this time in 2011 and the first time since 1959 that so many cases have been reported by this time in the year.

Pertussis, or whooping cough, is a bacterial infection involving the respiratory tract that is easily spread by coughing and sneezing. It can start out start out like the common cold, but can be a very serious infection, particularly for infants under the age of 1, who are too young to complete the full vaccination series.” {1}

Notice how the end of the last sentence of the abcnews.go.com article WAS NOT plagiarized. Mr. Stellpflug copied nearly all of Dr. Schuchat’s words except he introduced the words “life-threatening” and omitted the final clause, highlighting the importance of completing all of the shots, “who are too young to complete the full vaccination series.”

In addition, we should also discuss another rather crucial bit of information contained in the abcnews.go.com article that the Health Ranger’s web site omitted:
            “'Unvaccinated kids are at eight times higher risk to getting pertussis compared to kids who have been vaccinated,' said Schuchat. ‘ Vaccinated kids who do develop pertussis have a milder course. They're also less infectious than unvaccinated children.' " The Health Ranger does not seem to want to share these facts with his readers.

Ah, if only that was the whole enchilada! Abcnews.go.com offered addition advice that naturalnews.com (“real news powered by the people”) would not print. “Pertussis outbreaks generally occur in peaks and waves. Even with vaccination, immunity tends to wane over time.”

Sannyasinman, before you accuse me again of killing the messenger, examine the message you are asking your readers to believe. It is biased, unbalanced, unsupported, and incredible hyperbole. Those who circulate this drivel are trying to convince tens-of-millions of people, adults who did not die from Polio in their childhood because of Drs. Salk and Sabin, that they should not vaccinate their own children and grandchildren because life is full of risks. {2}

Please do not take my comments personally. I am convinced if you are not being paid to salt forums with back links than you are a sincere and caring person who wants to enlighten the world. However, your sources promote claims and accusations without offering a shred of rational thinking in support. As for the tired mantra of Big Pharma raking in tons of money, we all must face the facts of life whether we want to or not. You and I would not find an aspirin anywhere if the manufacturer did not have a means to be repaid for the costs of his research and development.
            {1} http://abcnews.go.com/Health/per’stus … AiYCPUYRMs
            {2} http://www.who.int/immunization_monitor … onData.pdf

Some more evidence for you to discredit at will . . .

Evidence Contradicts Whooping Cough Pro-Vaccine Propaganda
              http://www.activistpost.com/2012/07/evi … h-pro.html

Why whooping cough vaccines do not work as advertised
              http://www.activistpost.com/2012/07/why … .html#more

Hello Sannyasinman,

It does not require a high degree of intelligence to tell the difference between evidence and conjecture but it does require some effort.

Your first link leads to an article based upon another published by Rueters, “U.S. whooping cough outbreak could be worst in half century,” that includes the following alerts:
                1. 2012 “is on track to be the most severe [Pertussis outbreak] in over half a century . . .
                2. Washington State, which declared an epidemic in April, and Wisconsin were particularly hard hit, with each reporting more than 3,000 cases.
                3. Nine people have died overall and the number of cases was already more than double than at the same time last year.
                4. The CDC's Dr. Anne Schuchat stated that the current outbreak could actually overtake the most severe outbreak that allegedly <sic> occurred in 1959, “when 40,000 cases were reported.”

The article does not say any of the above warning statements are untrue!

In fact, the author agrees with most of the stats presented and adds various observations of his own such as:
                1. “The individual who put these reports together was indeed able to make the cases of Pertussis seem to be a public health emergency. Yet, although the numbers may be high, the speculation that those numbers will rise to the levels of the alleged 1959 peak is just that – speculation.” Therefore, the author says, the stats are accurate but the forecasts are forecasts! (duh)
                2. The author gets unbelievably obtuse when he writes, “even if the number of deaths in 2012 double to 18, the death rate would still not equal that of the years 2004 or 2005.” “This is not to say, however, that cases of Pertussis are not on the rise,” he concedes. “It is merely to show that the population should not <sic> engage in immediate panic and emergency measures.” He is actually saying the public should not heed the warnings because not enough people have died yet!

I could go on about this article but you can read it and decide for yourself. The criticisms and conjecture do not meet any reasonable, or rational, standard of proof. Nor does the article contain any evidence that contradicts whooping cough pro-vaccine propaganda as the title falsely claims.

Let's focus on reality, Sannyasinman, and not on someone else's opinion. The historical successes of vaccination programs continue to outweigh the occasional failures. The strategy of vaccine opponents is to discredit decades of success with disconnected anecdotes designed to instill fear. Their tactics  aim to expose infants once more to horrible communicable diseases. Illnesses science has been fighting hard to eradicate. 

3. donotfear profile image83
        donotfearposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They also contain amounts of mercury.....but you think they're gonna tell us that?  Think again.  I'll never take another flu shot.  Heck, I just had a tetanus shot and it made me feel terrible, all the toxins it pumped into me. It's all about money money money.  Exactly why the CDC, the IDSA and government entities won't tell you the truth about Lyme disease, that your Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, lupus, ALS, MS and more are really Lyme Disease!!

Good evening, Madam. I found your statement quite interesting.

Please share with us. Exactly why does the CDC, the IDSA, and the government not tell us the truth about Lyme disease?

Lupus, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple sclerosis, and even schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder share similar characteristics. What scientific data leads you to claim Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, lupus, ALS, MS and other conditions are all really Lyme Disease and not just similar?

I thank you, donotfear, and I look forward to your reply.

5. Dame Scribe profile image57
      Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I live in Canada and vaccination is pretty much mandatory. There is always new information being learned practically every day about the long term side effects of medicines and vaccines. For now, vaccinations have been used to prevent mass epidemics and deaths. It's a prevention and not a cure. Medicine and germs are always evolving. R&D for new medicines should be ongoing since super virus's are slowly on the rise hmm not sure I'd want to live in a world where there's a disease from a certain germ that's mutated and ensures a one way ticket to the great bingo hall in the sky tongue

6. WD Curry 111 profile image57
      WD Curry 111posted 11 years ago

I am not paranoid.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

You are doing a great disservice by always going on about how dangerous vaccines are and spreading rumours.

Do you know whooping cough is a major epidemic in the US because people refused to have their children vaccinated against it?

UW - Please explain how a person who is unvaccinated and healthy, can be a danger to a person who has been vaccinated against the disease in question? If you have been vaccinated, and are therefore (by your belief) protected, what are you afraid of?

Oh, and you mentioned a whooping cough outbreak? Read this (unofficial) account . . .

Worst whooping cough outbreak in over 50 years happening among the fully vaccinated
        http://www.naturalnews.com/036560_whoop … tions.html

8. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

No.  Vaccines exist and are distributed primarily to keep back the plagues that used to decimate our communities.  And maybe they will again, whooping cough is already making a resurgence.

9. profile image53
      ILoveChristmasposted 11 years ago

No. Vaccines are costly to produce and do not generate a profit for the drug companies. The U.S. government actually provides incentives for the pharmaceutical companies to manufacture vaccines, as they would not manufacture them otherwise.

10. profile image53
      ILoveChristmasposted 11 years ago

Also, it has absolutely been disproven that vaccines cause autism. The person who proposed that they did was trying to develop his own vaccine to compete with the MMR shot. His article was later retracted from The Lancet.

11. Terri Meredith profile image69
      Terri Meredithposted 11 years ago

I'm not going to make a judgement one way or the other about motives behind vaccines.  However, people need to do some research on some of the damage done by them.  Do some serious research regarding the mythological "Shaken Baby Syndrome" and you'll learn of the connection between vaccinations and the triad of injuries being associated with the syndrome.  In fact, doing a bit of research on the issue of vaccinations will bring you to studies with results which have some experts questioning the safety of the number being given in a very short time period to newborns, etc.

Quilligrapher:  You have proven time and again just how logical and analytical your mind.  I love the way you think!  But I need to point out something...ask a mother of one of the children who have been damaged if they are ok with their child's condition.  Ask her if she understood she was playing the odds and that her child simply lost.  I don't think any mother wants to play Russian Roulette.  There is by far, too much being marketed to the unsuspecting public as being good and safe, when in fact, not enough testing and follow up studies have been completed to validate said safety.

1. Alastar Packer profile image72
        Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Terri do you recall the vaccine makers who knowingly distributed a million doses of HIV in some disease vac, were caught, admitted the contamination, and were only prosecuted in France?

no, sorry, I don't.  Can you refresh my memory?

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57
            WD Curry 111posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sure, it was an urban myth circulating on the Internet.

2. Alastar Packer profile image72
            Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was Bayer Terri. Knowingly sent out a million vaccine doses tainted with HIV- hundreds of thousands contracted the virus- some low-level officials prosecuted in France. Who can blame folks for keeping their sleeves down after something like that.

2. recommend1 profile image60
          recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you are referring not to vaccination but to the scandal of blood products in many countries continuing to be used without screening or precautions for HIV long after the need was clear.   This ranged from the US and the UK to France and many other countries.  That only France prosecuted anyone for it is a shame for accountability generally.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57
            WD Curry 111posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm impressed. You finally said something that indicates intelligence. Now, if you could work on your manners you will be in there.

1. recommend1 profile image60
              recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Shouldn't you be on the bipolar thread ?

2. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

After you have found the mother with a child "damaged" by a vaccine, you might find one of those that did not allow their child the vaccine and the child got whooping cough.  Ask her "if she understood she was playing the odds and that her child simply lost.  I don't think any mother wants to play Russian Roulette."  especially when more and more cases of the old plagues are being found.  The odds of getting one of them are going up every year, mostly as a result of fear-mongering anti-vaccine chants.

3. Quilligrapher profile image73

I thank you, Ms. Meredith, for your kind words.

I, too, favor as much research as our country can afford to support. More knowledge trumps less knowledge every day of the week.

Your comment prompted me to search for a connection between vaccines and “Shaken Baby Syndrome.” The National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome uses the term “to describe the constellation of signs and symptoms resulting from violent shaking or shaking and impacting of the head of an infant or small child.” The causes focus on physical head trauma and I find nothing that associates the condition to vaccines. {1} Perhaps I have missed something.

The subject of vaccine concentration has received a lot of airtime lately. In fact, many medical professionals encourage concerned parents to opt for individual, spaced inoculations instead of combined formulae. Such action seems prudent until further studies tell us more.

I will never know how a mother feels when her child is stricken with a horrific illness that may have been triggered by a vaccine. Your profile, however, articulates your conviction that our lives are the sum of our choices. Should your theoretical mother accept and shoulder guilt as the fruit of her decision to vaccinate or should she accept as a possibility that an unknown mechanism in her child may have ultimately lead to the same end even if the vaccinations had not been administered? You are correct to observe that there is so much that we do not know. However, when faced with the realities of spreading life-destructive, contagious diseases, we do not have the luxury to wait until we know everything there is to know. We must make the best possible decisions based upon what we do know at the time and, yes, hope they lead to the best possible outcome.
        {1} http://dontshake.org/sbs.php?topNavID=3&subNavID=27

Hi again, Quilligrapher:

Yes, you have missed quite a bit about the Shaken Baby Syndrome story.  Instead of me telling you from my point of view, do some research on John Caffey, C. Henry Kempe, Ann-Christine Duhaime, Lawrence Thibault,Tom Gennarelli, C. Z. Cory and M. D. Jones.  There's quite a bit of information about the above folks, but doing a search should give you lots of background information about the whole scene.  We're talking biomechanics evidence as far back as 1982.  There's money to be made for perpetuating the myth as it now stands. 

You can go to http://medicalmisdiagnosisresearch.word … -syndrome/    Read about documents that had been covered up for over 24 years regarding SBS and vaccine injury.  These British papers were uncovered with the FIO and are presented in full on the sight.  Previous convictions are now being overturned.  There are a great number of cases where parents were convicted of child abuse when they had rushed their child to a hospital after receiving vaccinations.  They were sent home and told their baby was fine, only to have the child die within hours or a few days.  And then they were arrested.

On a personal note:  My granddaughter was given the full batch of about a kazillion vaccines during the first few months of her life.  She immediately spiked high fevers and the piercing wale of a baby in severe distress after a vaccination.  She was taken to the hospital where they decided she was just fine.  She was still crying incessantly and obviously in some kind of pain.  Still sent home.  She suffered a seizure after her next batch of vaccines and again a high fever.  The explanation was that a seizure was common in very young children with fevers and she was sent home again.

That set the tone for every vaccination she received.  Then an interstate move occurred when her father got out of the military.  Low and behold, all the family's medical records were missing.  Explanation:  computers were hacked and thousands of records were lost.

Then it was time for kindergarten and the school district wouldn't accept the shot record kept in her baby book.  They wanted the medical records or no school.  My daughter was forced to have my granddaughter vaccinated all over again.  The same illnesses, seizures and troubles all over again and being told it was "normal."

The following year, my daughter was contacted by the school.  It seemed they had "lost" the official copy provided by the doctor of the second round of vaccinations.  But the doctor had passed away and his elderly widow had closed down the practice and packed away all his records.  It would take some time for her to locate the file.  The school wanted another complete round of vaccinations or the proof of previous ones within 3 mos.  My daughter ended up in an awful battle with them.  They tried to over ride the new doctor's refusal to vaccinate again and so close together and wanted to ignore his warning that it could kill my granddaughter.

Now here's the icing on the cake.  We had noticed how Aurora couldn't seem to relate to people very well, including her parents and siblings.  She didn't seem to know how to express happiness or joy.  We didn't understand her repeated blank staring as though she didn't see us, and her "refusal" to engage in a conversation like the other children.  After a long drawn out evaluation.........autistic.   Pardon me, if I tend to lean toward the dangers of so many vaccines with so little research.

12. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 11 years ago

All medications are made with profit in mind first. It is a business after all and no one can keep a business going without making a profit. That being said I gave my 2 first children all required vaccines with no issues. My daughter however had a bad reaction after her 2mth shots and an even worse reaction after her 6 month shots. Since the shot is a combination shot there is no way of knowing which shot caused her allergic reaction. She has recieved no shots since and we will need to home school her because laws here require the shots. I don't see a reason for any one to take preventative medications for curable illness. Personally everyone in my home avoids all medications unless there is no other options. I have found very little that there isn't a natural remedy for.

13. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I would believe some of what you say if you once posted an article from a credible or reputable medical site.

1. peeples profile image94
        peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm unsure who you are talking to so if me(my thought is probably not but hey just in case), then I said nothing that requires an article as I spoke only of personal experience.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, talking to the OP

1. peeples profile image94
            peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I try to be polite so checked just in case! smile

2. sannyasinman profile image59

By credible or reputable medical site, you mean one that is either funded by, or in collusion with Big Pharma, or that carries an official Government Agency logo? Sorry, I can’t help you there.

Every medical professional who has tried to tell the truth about vaccines and their dangers, or even holds a different opinion to the medical mainstream is ridiculed, ostracised and their reputations and careers ruined. Dissent is simply not tolerated. It really is a Medical Mafia.

If you want to know the truth, it is out there, but you won't find it on any so called "reputable" web site.     

However, if you want the other side, here are many ”once credible and reputable” medical professionals who have a different opinion to the mainstream.

http://www.whale.to/m/doctors.html

Happy reading .

14. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

The "Measles causes autism" HOAX was motivated by financial interest, yes.

Over ten years ago, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, paid by a group of lawyers to conduct a study showing that the measles vaccine causes autism (it doesn't), managed to "prove" it. The payoff: they'd file a class action lawsuit against the vaccine makers and rake in the cash. (It looks like you found a website that was fooled by his fraud...wonderful.)  Plus, he'd get paid by a company hoping to market a rival vaccine!

So he found about 12 children who had various behavioral problems that appeared to be symptomatic of autism, administered the vaccine, and...golly gee, some of them seemed to be autistic, according to his tests!  (A bit like finding 12 blind children, administering a vaccine, and claiming the vaccine caused their blindness.)

Many studies were done to try to verify his results, but no other studies ever confirmed it, since they didn't start out with autistic children.

The story of Wakefield's fraud, when it was finally uncovered over ten years later, was picked up by news outlets:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zm328
      http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/05/lance … -to-autis/
      http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/ … elds-scie/
      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … 49500.html

UNFORTUNATELY, WAKEFIELD'S HOAX DID TREMENDOUS DAMAGE: enough parents heard about his faked results to think that vaccines cause autism. It caused an epidemic of fear, and parents stopped vaccinating their kids.

As a result, we now have a whooping cough epidemic in the United States. Kids are going unvaccinated, and coming down with this dangerous illness. Ditto for TB. In Great Britain, where Wakefield's fake study was published, measles has made a comeback.  No, vaccines are not 100% effective, any more than aspirin is, but they're a lot safer than having an unvaccinated population.

All you have to do is go to a third world country where kids aren't vaccinated, and see the huge mortality rate, to see where we're headed if Wakefield's fraud keeps causing more and more people to leave their children dangerously vulnerable.

My mother worked in virology. She lived through the last polio epidemic, shortly before the vaccine came out, and saw what polio did to fellow children. She was never working for commercial science; she was a researcher. It pains her that so many researchers dedicated their lives to saving lives by developing vaccines, finding ways to improve our health by protecting us against many deadly and debilitating diseases. These vaccines were created to HELP. And Wakefield has done untold damage, and is indirectly responsible for the deaths of thousands of children, by convincing people of the harmfulness of vaccines in his hoax study.

But at least he got a big payoff for it, eh?

15. knolyourself profile image59
      knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

I got hit with four of them in the space of a couple of minutes in the army. Made me really sick. Not sure what it would have done to a baby. I agree the disease vaccinations are necessary. I remember kids with polio and the first polio vaccination and what a relief. Still if it were me, I would space these vaccinations out over as long a period as possible. Cases of autism can't all be discounted.

Let's use a little common sense....do you really believe that giving an infant 16 (recommended) vaccinations by the age of 6 mos. is something that truly builds their health?  How many attacks on their health defenses does it take to cause serious health problems?  I find it really interesting that there are tremendous rises in all kinds of illnesses that are finding their way into childhood where previously they were rarely heard of.  No one can explain what's happening or why, but they're really quick to say what it ISN'T without any more proof than their opposers.  Vaccines are just as likely to cause serious health implications down the road as anything else.  The truth is that we simply do not know about long term effects since no one has bothered to do any such studies before unleashing them on the public.

Hi again, Ms. Meredith. I admire your reasoning and restraint when discussing what I consider a complex and predominantly scientific topic. Unlike many who just distrust vaccines, you can question and suspect some causal possibilities without irrationally excluding all others.

Above you make a plea for common sense and state two hypotheses. I summit, however, as laypersons, we would be foolish to rely solely on our own “common sense.” Allow me to appeal to your “common sense” and ask a few questions that concern me. Without considering other reliable medical/scientific opinions, how do we determine 16 vaccinations by the age of 6 months are too many? Should the number be lower or higher; and if so, what should it be? Should your common sense prevail or should mine? On the other hand, should we consult medically trained professionals and rely on their judgements as well as our own?

The vaccination schedule recommended today calls for shots between birth and 6 months of age for Hepatitis B, Rotavirus, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Haemophilus Influenzae type b, Pneumococcus, and Polio. {1} All are horrible ailments leading to lifelong, and many times, life-threatening conditions. Honestly, I do not have enough “common sense” to determine if 16 shots are too many or too few. I have no way to determine which decease to immunize against and which to delay. 

Anti-vax proponents face the same challenges only their inability to rationally analyze data is compounded by their fear and distrust of matters they are unable to understand. They opt to ignore factual scientific data and place their faith in conspiracy theorists with their own hidden agendas.

Therefore, Ms. M, I will continue to consult the academic, scientific, and medical professions that have lead humanity out of the dark ages and who are responsible for the elimination of small pox and rinderpest. The same cadre has measles, mumps, rubella, lymphatic filariasis, and cysticerosis in their crosshairs.

You do have a way of stimulating the gray matter. I thank you for your observations.
          {1} http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/d … ule-pr.pdf

There have been more than 30 recalls of powerful drugs since 1980.  These are drugs once approved by the FDA, but found to have devastating side effects, in the years following their initial approval.  A couple of them were on the market for decades.  Many of them were recalled after only one year.  I find it very telling that a drug is pulled within a year or two because of the potential to do more harm than good.  This obviously is a result of drugs being rushed to market BEFORE they have been properly studied and tested.  The FDA has been under attack during these same 30 years or so.  Why?  Because of the cronyism that is taking place within their ranks.  They have financial connections to the pharmaceutical companies looking for approval.  Time after time, we see a drug approved that reaps in millions, sometimes billions, and then the key folks at the FDA who saw to getting it approved are hired to work directly for the drug company.

I have spent hours researching a couple of drugs from their very “discovery” all the way through the approval process.  Some of these drugs are down right dangerous, but because of millions spent on PR, the cronyism, and the absolute criminality of those in whose interest it is to market the drug, the unsuspecting public is sold on the “positive” rewards of using the drugs.  What's interesting to note is that whenever there are objections to approving, those who voice the objections are methodically silenced and the approval process gets stepped up.  Then a year or two or twenty later, when the damages can't be denied any longer, the spin doctors step in to try to convince the public this is “new” information.  It's a travesty.  Lives are lost, health is damaged beyond repair, and all in the sake of putting gold in the pockets of the company marketing the drug.

Earlier, I brought up the issue of SBS and the very real fact that certain vaccines have been implicated as the true cause of the triad of injuries.  It may seem to only be anecdotal evidence, but that's where common sense would seem to come in.  If, say, 50% of the babies who died, were known to have received vaccinations in the days or mere hours before their deaths, why wouldn't we be doing some serious research on the matter?  Why would we choose to believe that these same parents (who loved their children enough to get them vaccinated) would willfully take actions to bring about their death?  Why are we willing to believe something so heinous about these strangers, but not willing to question those who have been proven to manipulate and prostitute the approval process for drugs?

For me...I don't want any outside agency telling me what I have to put in my body or those of my children/grandchildren when that very agency is corrupt and untrustworthy.  I think that's one of the main problems for most people.  Our children are our future.  We don't want to risk bringing them harm simply because someone else says it's safe, especially when that someone else has lost all credibility.  Someone brought up the conditions of Third World countries and how there is less disease because of vaccinations.  Maybe, maybe not.  Let's not forget that those countries also are getting better sanitation systems, cleaner water, better diets etc.  Cleanliness goes a long way in defeating potential epidemics.

You asked me about the number of vaccines and who's to say what is too many... Let's look at it this way:  As parents of newborns, it's recommended that our children only be given formula or breast milk for the first 6 months of life.  That's because their digestive systems aren't mature enough to handle solid foods.  Then we're told to introduce one food at a time in order to determine whether our child has any allergic reactions.  Then after a week or so, we can introduce the next food, and so on.  Now, why would we be cautioned to take such care with life sustaining food, but injecting various strains of life-threatening viruses aren't given the same precautions?  Why is it that the pharmaceutical companies, medical profession, etc. insist that no such allergic reactions are prevalent, even though research into the causes of SBS have provided evidence to the contrary?

16. New-Spectrum profile image59
      New-Spectrumposted 11 years ago

Unfortunately it may be worse than "for profit". It is obvious to see the world bankers continuing their conquest. The only country that stands against their objectives is the U.S. We're just too free and loving it to let them take our freedom. The drug companies and mental health industry are hard at work destroying the self determinism and spirit of our next generation. Though these vaccinations and the millions of children on mind altering drugs more and more future Americans will be dumbed down or mentally damaged to even care about their freedoms.  It is a fact that EVERY person who has gone on a shooting rage, including the most recent one in Colorado, were on or recently came off of these mind altering drugs.

17. knolyourself profile image59
      knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

I had them all. I am seventy and never been ill. Not saying the drug companies are not crime syndicates because they are. Not saying for sure that some of these vaccines don't cause autism. I really don't know.
      Personally I have not gotten a flu shot in thirty years. Seen people get sick from those - some serious. The last flu scare of three years ago was one of the biggest health scams in history. Still I think people need the basic
      vaccinations.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'm broadly in favour of vaccinations where particular infections can cause untold damage. But, I have refused in the past for my son and daughter to have MMR. They've both since, had measles and German measles and survived. Although at the time, I was skeptical, somewhat doubtful and feeling very guilty about the decision that I had made.

Now, in the UK, it appears that every child needs a flu injection.  The Govt has whinned about the cost of the NHS. Yet, it appears that it's ok to pay huge sums of money to the Pharms for influenza injections for every child.

This seems unwarranted.  We're not talking about kids at risk here, with athsma, Cystric fybrosis and other conditions, but kids who are not vulnerable. Other than profit, I cannot see another motivation for these jabs.

18. sannyasinman profile image59
      sannyasinmanposted 11 years ago

Vaccine profits before safety . . .
      http://www.whale.to/vaccines/profits.html

I know that the information here is not from an "official source" - it never will be!
      I know that the information is badly presented, and does not have the glossy sheen of an "official" site.

But if you are at all interested in this topic, please read it and ask yourself the question..
      Is there any truth here?

If you decide that there is not then so be it, but at least you have seen some information that is not spoon fed to you from the mainstream media, medical professionals and Big Pharma.

As always, let's all respect everyones right to say what they want to say, and to believe what they choose to believe.

Thank you, Sannyasinman,

I followed the link and browsed the site.  I do not recommend it except to those who want to see first hand just how bizzare some conspiracy theorist can be.

Have a good one.

19. ocbill profile image52
      ocbillposted 11 years ago

I'll tell you the foods that are promoted so heavily help you go to the doctor  a lot more than eating healthy foods. Your immune system is lowered form junk fast food so a vaccination could do the trick.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)