Are the "related ads" sections on the side and bottom of hubs new?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (69 posts)
  1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image97
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years ago

I must have missed an announcement, but I have noticed a section down the right side of my hubs (as well as other hubs) and along the bottom called "related ads".  I haven't clicked on them as that is a no-no, but am curious what they bring up.  There also seem to be a lot more google ads on the bottom of the page as well.  Did this start recently?

2. faythef profile image69
    faythefposted 11 years ago

I missed the notice as well..if there was one.

3. innerspin profile image86
    innerspinposted 11 years ago

It seemed to happen about the same time as the suggest related links tool was removed.

4. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 11 years ago

I dunno, I've seen them mention several times over the past few weeks they're trying new things with the ad layouts. I just noticed the change myself after publishing my latest and was a bit thrown off, but it doesn't seem like a huge deal.

edit: actually I also just noticed that there aren't any slideshow ads anymore. Hmm. Kinda too bad about that one. Always appreciated the extra views there.

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Right you are, Len Cannon!

We're testing new ad configurations, but haven't made a huge fuss about it beyond mentioning it here and there in the Forums, as we're just testing things and have not come to a final new configuration.

Alas, slideshow ads didn't go away because we wanted them to- we were in on a test provided by Google, and they haven't yet released the final version after retiring that test version. We hope we can get ads back on slideshows soon! smile

Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone!

2. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Can you please let us know whether we get 60% of the views on the ads on those pages when people reach them through our hubs? I think you may have forgotten to respond to that part. Thanks.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  This is the information we need to know.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
          mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that is the information I was after too.

5. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I noticed it as well, just today, Len Cannon, on my newest hub. I don't recall an announcement. Might this be a good thing in terms of more ads for readers to click on? Woohoo! I think it's done well, doesn't look too crowded.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

More ads for readers to click on could be a good thing. The thing I don't like about the ones at the bottom is, that they hide the comment section. They might  result in fewer comments.

6. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I saw them yesterday complete with misspellings like 'Loose belly-Fat' and 'Loose Weight now'.

I really wish whoever wrote them could spell. I hate spelling errors, especially on my own hubs. The Layout makes them stand out and I think could be pretty off-putting to visitors when the spelling is wrong.

Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to have to go back and check.   I did not notice any spelling errors on the ads, but I did not look too closely.

1. LaurencePJones profile image60
        LaurencePJonesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hate to see spelling errors, its/it's and lose/loose being two of my pet hates.

1. IzzyM profile image85
          IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You and me both then, Lawrence. And the number of people who can't distinguish between 'there', 'their' and 'they're' is frightening.

Yet there they are, writing hubs on Hubpages and proudly calling themselves 'writers'.

I really don't like seeing them on adverts, especially not on HP generated ads. I didn't click through, but the address of the ads seems to suggest they came from HP categories.

Can I ask US hubbers, when did 'a lot' become 'alot'? Is this another Americanism? I know there are differences between US English and English English, but 'alot' is not something UK spellers would use.

1. aa lite profile image86
            aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Alot is not a American spelling of the UK "a lot", it is an imaginary creature, large and furry that is native to the internet.  I believe this is the definitive study of its lifecycle and habitat, it describes it as " a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug".

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk … thing.html

2. BlossomSB profile image80
      BlossomSBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that misspelling, too. It's off-puting.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I noticed those ads a few days ago while checking a hub.  I just looked at a few more of mine to see how they look, and I like the related ads.  They are unobtrusive and relate well to the topic.  Those are the kind of ads I would be more likely to click on.  I'm so curious to see what is there, but I know we can't click on them here.  I guess we'll see how they perform!

Izzy,
      It didn't.  If you see it that way, it's misspelled.  Many people misspell a lot.

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

OMG. I hope a lot of people read your reply! It's such a common error then, that I thought it couldn't have been an error at all.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A lot is a two word phrase.  I think it sounds better to use the proper words, like; I enjoy listening to music often or very much. (instead of saying a lot) 
        Americans have a way of shortening words even when we speak. big_smile

I found this list of the most misspelled words in English.  Surprisingly, a lot is not on the list.

8. profile image31
    yeahyeahyoposted 11 years ago

Are hubbers really this stupid now? So stupid that they can't see when they are being literally bummed?

Those 'related ads' are not themselves adsense units, when one clicks on the related ads they are taken to another hubpages page containing nothing but ads (go ahead, click on one, it isn't an adsense ad and therefore there is no terms of service breach).

If you visit one of those related ads via a hub on an account which is not in the hubpages ad program and view the source code you will notice that there are two adsense ID's being presented. Unfortunately neither of them will be yours.

The Hubpages ad program itself is of course non-transparent, but the signs don't look good, do they? So the related links serve as nothing other than a massive page leak designed to take visitors off of your hubpage and onto a page in which hubpages are serving 100% of their own ads.

Yay dudes! Aren't the hubpages staff just simply awesome! Kowabunga dudes!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89

Wow, you are right, this leads to just a large (Hubpages) page of Adsense adverts (which I assume HP get the revenue from but am not sure how to check as I am on the HP Ad Program). There is no reason not to click to the 'Related Adverts' links to check for yourselves because they are not Adsense Ads in themselves and only lead to HP pages full of Adsense Ads. This is scary as it looks like it takes revenue away from us without us earning anything from those pages or adverts clicked on within those pages.

Seriously need to know HP staff!!!

2. Len Cannon profile image89
      Len Cannonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do we know how they track the HPads accounts?  I'm.. concerned but holding my tongue for the time.

1. profile image31
        yeahyeahyoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When you visit those pages via a hub which is not in the hubpages ad program you will not find the respective writers adsense ID in the source code, so why would members of the hubpages ad program be treated any differently?

1. brakel2 profile image73
          brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@yeahyeahyo     It looks like you joined HubPages today. How do you know all this info?

1. profile image31

Are you claiming the information to be incorrect? I believe that I have provided sufficient insight to enable one to ascertain themselves whether or not the claims are accurate.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
              rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you could have addressed the issue without making an account to call us stupid.

1. profile image31

I think that you may be missing the bigger picture.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89

Certainly it checks out Brakel2 if you click into the 'Related Ads' links on your hubs. I suspect the post is written by a hubber who wishes to remain anonymous so is posting under an alternative profile.

9. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I thought they looked a little strange.

10. DIYmommy profile image65
    DIYmommyposted 11 years ago

I'm fairly new to HubPages.

So, if someone finds our hub, through Google, and they click on those "related ads", the hubber who actually wrote the hub doesn't earn anything if an ad on the next page is clicked?

The whole page is nothing but ads....

Do I understand this correctly?

1. SimeyC profile image90
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No one knows - and all we will get is speculation and the usual "Hubpages is stealing your money" - personally I'll sit back and wait and see. When HP try something new they won't say anything about it until they are sure it will be implemented full time.

11. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Thank you Simone. We certainly do not need a negative person in this forum trying to put everyone down. Let's have a good day.

1. profile image31

Cringeworthy.

1. cfin profile image65
        cfinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@yeahyeahyo.) What, your attitude? Look, you need a hobby, and not one that includes trying to convert people to your hate filled negative mentality. Your a conspiracy theorist at best. Now do us all a favor including yourself and start by opening the curtains in your mothers basement and then kindly open the door and get some vitamin D because you are a HUGE Debbie Downer.

1. profile image31

I have shared only conspiracy facts and no conspiracy theories, a staff member has failed to refute or address the allegations. That will be because my claims are correct. I am sorry if you don't have the technical knowledge to verify the accuracy of those claims and bare witness yourself. I have done my best to explain how one can see this for themselves, I can do no more.

Hubpages are under no obligation to revenue share on anything but hubs, they are not breaking their terms of service agreement by diverting traffic to their own pages. I'm not claiming illegality, I'm just informing fellow hubpages users of the change in this sites structure and I'd expect them to have the intuition to reach their own conclusions in respect of what may or may not happen to their own earnings.

2. Len Cannon profile image89
          Len Cannonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, um, I'm not a big fan of the attitude, but it is worth being concerned about. I don't know why we would immediately turn on each other if something untoward was happening.

I went and checked two well known hubbers with high volume traffic and found the same adsense id in both of their related pages adsense links: 6958755572607374. Same for myself. So that's three.

I went and checked the top ads on each page and found they had the same number. The bottom ads, with our personal adsense numbers, had what should be the correct ID.

It leads me to believe it has something to do with how ads are served with the HP Ad program because the ones we DO get credit for in the HPAds program have the same ID as the ones in the related links bar. If someone is Adsense-only, they SHOULD be receiving adsense views for these instead. If they're not, it is worth looking into. Maybe it is a coding error because it is new. But if someone, Ad program or not, is serving these ads they should be receiving their 60% of the views.

I think it would be of GREAT benefit for HubPages staff to quickly and concisely explain how each ad unit is tracked.  Transparency goes a long way.

12. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

Many of the adsense features we have access to are not available to individuals (custom js ads, AdX etc).  The custom JS ads can't be served with any ID other than the HubPages ID.  It's always been that way.

13. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

One thing to add, you can always switch out of the HP Ad program and compare the results.

14. profile image31
    yeahyeahyoposted 11 years ago

Confirmation that those not in the hubpages ad program, at very least, are not generating revenue from the ads served on the new related ads pages. Those that are in the hubpages ad program will never have any way of knowing whether they are benefiting. So a conclusion can be reached that at least some hubpages users, possibly all hubpages users, will be losing money as a result of this change in site structure. I have nothing further to add to the debate.

1. WriteAngled profile image76
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah well, a further reason, in addition to the disgusting idling policy, for me not to bother to generate any more content for this site.

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You mean people are still creating new content here? smile

15. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I just did a YTD Ad program report.

https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/reports

As far as I'm concerned, all appears well.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89

As far as I could tell this was mainly going to cause a loss of earnings to people who were relying on 'Adsense' only, not people using the HP Ad program (unless I misunderstood an early post in this thread). Quote:

"If you visit one of those related ads via a hub on an account which is not in the hubpages ad program and view the source code you will notice that there are two adsense ID's being presented. Unfortunately neither of them will be yours."

Right now I am not much the wiser based on either Simone's or Paul's responses as no-one has actually said who earns what from those 'related ad' blocks, and if any hubbers are earning anything from them at all.

1. WriteAngled profile image76
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is not clear, and HP staff did not offer an explanation.

That is the main problem. We are not given the information with which to reach a considered decision. In my view, this is showing an incredible degree of contempt vis a vis the people who provide the content, which ultimately this site needs in order to exist.

16. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 11 years ago

Did anyone read the just-posted HubPages blog post about how these new ads from Google come with built-in lower revenue per click rates?

http://blog.hubpages.com/2013/03/upcomi … atted-ads/

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really not surprised. I suggested a while back that there were problems with Adsense, they've been offering out free Ads like a desperate shop assistant in a brand new sweet shop. Suppose this is what happens when you're losing your market share.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Looks like I'm not going back to AdSense anytime soon...

PDS, you are the eternal optimist. Remember, in order to benefit from HP ads your hubs have to stay featured and you must not be subjected to a G slap because G can't make their mind up, exactly, what it is that they want from HP. It's Google, they will shaft us all in the long run.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61

As far as click-through goes, my blogs can't possibly do worse. Who knows? If the new critters work, could be happy days!

If they work that's good news. Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but didn't Google lead HP to believe that subs were they way forward, not so long ago? Personally, and I do work for myself, I would never credit Google with good intelligence. How can we, when they can't even work out what searchers really want? They can't even please their advertisers.

Update:

Well, the purdy, new, arrow-ads are all over one of my revamped blogs. Here's hoping those new critters do indeed work...

17. thisisoli profile image74
    thisisoliposted 11 years ago

Can anyone from hubpages staff confirm that our tracking ID's are carried across to the related ads pages?

This is in prime ad real estate, and seems to be incredibly bad monetization,  Sincerely hope its just a test.

1. SimeyC profile image90
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think this is answered in Paul E's answer:

"Many of the adsense features we have access to are not available to individuals (custom js ads, AdX etc).  The custom JS ads can't be served with any ID other than the HubPages ID.  It's always been that way."

So I'm taking this to mean no....

2. aa lite profile image86
      aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like incredibly bad monetization for us, good monetization for HP.  I guess they need the money for the QAP program........

18. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

So... no.  But no one wants to come right out and say it.

19. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I don't like 'em.

They look spammy, linky, "come this way and give us some money".

The sort of thing that puts me off web pages.

Does anyone on the internet ever think "less is more?".

Maybe less just is less.

I still don't like 'em.

Read my stuff and then realise that the only reason it is there is to serve some ads up.

Nah.  I haven't quite finished.  First of all HP's site and they are doing their best etc. to keep the damn thing afloat.  It is not my call what they do with the web pages.  If I don't like it... easy enough to see what to do.

It's not a deal breaker for me - just a disappointment.

I would quite like to have been informed before noticing them.  A simple announcement - thsi is what we're doing, this is how it works.  No need for a vote on it.

One of my current main bugbears about HP is trying to keep my search visitors in my subdomain.  When there are masses of ads and links to other people's stuff - it makes it hard.  Does Google notice how few people read more than a page?  Do they care?

I have no idea.  It just seems that I get a bounce rate above 90% on HP and 50%... ish... elsewhere.  I suspect that could be a problem.

I read Paul's recent message about lay-offs with a heavy heart.  This is a hobby for me.  It's a living for them.  So I am not trying to rock the boat - just felt like a self-centred splurge.   I hope it turns out right.

I checked Paul E.'s activity, the HP blog, and did a Google search. I couldn't anything about HP lay-offs. I know I'll feel like an idiot when someone posts the link, but, hey, I can't be the fastest bunny in the forest everyday...

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was in the interview he did the other day.  There's a forum thread giving a link to it.

I've read that. I missed or forgot that tidbit of info. Back to read it again.

That's OK - sometimes the tortoise wins, too. big_smile

Found it. I was thinking Mark meant something in March because of Google's further machinations.

And I thought of it as something a little after Panda.  Not real specific, was he?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
                  Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh for goodness sakes!  Yes it was in Paul's interview, I guess sometime after Panda hit and not in the last few weeks, but the interview was recent and it has been on my mind a little.

I complain when they change the font size.  But I didn't lose my job as a result of Google's changes / HubPages spam - delete as appropriate and argue for evermore.

1. profile image0
                    summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7754922_f248.jpg

I guess I need to add --just joking big_smile

Although your other post has caused life to end as we know it, you are still one of the good guys. big_smile

2. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that was the layoff of Jason and Micki. I read his post but can't remember if he was talking past or future layoffs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)