Stop unfairly, artificially depressing my Hubber Score!

Jump to Last Post 51-58 of 58 discussions (399 posts)
  1. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I don't think it is being an apologist to say that given that it is an automated system it is either responding to something OP did, or has a glitch.  Logically speaking, these are the two most likely options.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

The Hubber score has brought more headaches than anything it can accomplish.

1. It can be misleading to visitors as they may think that it signifies that the author must be a good one
    2. It goes up and down for no apparent reason. Even though we are "told" that we should participate in the forums/community, it seems to go down if you do
    3. Authors with hundreds of hubs, thousands of views, hundreds of followers,years on HP, and plenty of accolades often end up with a hubber score that is lower than someone who has been on the site for 2 months, 30+ hubs, 59+ followers,1000 visitors/views, few accolades and does not seem to participate that much on the community.

I honestly think that it is an "incentive" for hubbers (especially newbies) to write often and nothing more.
    Case in point; hubs that are nothing but images of ladies/actresses often with the words "hot" somewhere in the title and the profile score of the "author" in the high to middle nineties. One could argue that it is used mainly as a way to increase or bring visitors to the site by rewarding anyone (and I mean anyone) who posts often.

1. James A Watkins profile image85
      James A Watkinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your comments and reasoning are truly outstanding. Well put!

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey mate you are 79!!! Yipee!

1. James A Watkins profile image85
          James A Watkinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am VERY happy to report that my Hubber Score is up to 90!!  It has risen nearly 30 points since I started this thread. Thank you everyone for your support, encouragement and comments. I feel like a big burden has been lifted from my shoulders. big_smile

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Delighted for you James smile

You deserve to go back to your previous 100 score, and I hope you get there!

We have all learned something from this thread smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
              rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's great to see his score has risen.  As far as this thread having an influence, I'm sure it did.  A penalty was probably removed and it appears many have gone to his hubs and rated them up, which may or may not have taught us something about scores.   I'm not sure what we learned from this thread, Izzy.  We still don't really know if it would have risen without the help of hubbers rating his hubs.  As someone previously stated, it's all conjecture at this point.

But I'm glad to see James is on the rise. smile I'm sure none of us would have liked to see our hubber score dive into the 60's. I know I wouldn't.

2. Will Apse profile image89
            Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Saying clearly want you meant to say and deleting pages the pages that had caused the problem probably helped a good deal.

3. profile image0
            stessilyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

James, Congratulations on being back in the 90s; may you never leave them. It was astounding to see your score plummet; that makes no sense; it seemed like a fall from grace, so uncalled for. I felt that you handled that disappointment with dignity, continuing to publish hubs, taking time to answer any and all comments, visiting others' hubs, as well as giving new hubbers with low scores the benefit of your attention. A visit with comments from you is always appreciated at my writing desk. Three years ago when I joined HubPages, our writing paths crossed and I was always impressed with your 96+ score. I have seen you to be committed to your crafts, whether they be music or art or writing or whatever has your attention. It is saddening and maddening that your score sank like a lead balloon, as it did. For those who care about their craft and about making their unique contributions, with diligence and creativity, to this site, the profile score is important (and HubPages also has indicated that it's both important and unimportant). Who would accept a D for A material? I am pleased that in general you've received a supportive response to your eloquently phrased thread.
            Best wishes to a faithful HubPages writer, Stessily

1. Laura Schneider profile image84
              Laura Schneiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hear hear! Well said, Stessily! I totally agree. Thank you, James, for being such a gentleman throughout this ordeal. May it never happen again to you or any other deserving hubber.
              Cheers!

1. Silva Hayes profile image77
                Silva Hayesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I heartily concur!

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
            Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Many blessings to you, James. I am so happy to see your score is back up to an acceptable place. In my book, you should always be a 100.

3. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

Maybe the time has come to let this thread die.  I have much respect for James Watkins for standing up for what he believes and for his unique writing.  James has never been one to come onto the forums and play smash and bash games with others.  This needs to end. James, you've made a good point here.  I think it's escalated to a critical point.  You are a professional. 

I make a motion that HP close any more comments to the thread.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree -- a few pages ago.  His score has risen.  His voice has been heard.  Using the thread to play back and forth games is of no benefit.

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I want to say that I took notice of James soon after signing up here.  He was an author that I chose to emulate.  His writing is impeccable.  If I could be half the author that Mr. Watkins is, I would be completely satisfied.  There is no way in the real world that my avatar should have a higher number than his, I am not worthy.

James does not seem to be chasing the almighty Mammon like many others here.  He is attempting to educate others, and he does a good job.

Why should a thread with a legitimite concern be closed.  Because simple minds choose to snipe at his concern?  Not a good enough reason IMO!

James, not only are you one of my favorites on Hubpages, you are one of my favorites on the Internet.

Keep up the good fight!   The masses appreciates your influence.

I hope the thread stays open until there is an answer to this irrational situation.

James's hubber score is now 87.  What specifically has caused this increase?

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It looks to me that it might be the lifting of whatever penalty had been manually placed on his account.

1. SimeyC profile image88
              SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or the fact that he's active on the forum big_smile When my hubscore gets depressed I often come on the forum and post a dozen or so entries and it quickly goes back up! However, I've gotta agree it does look like the penalty has been removed - perhaps it was placed there by someone who has now left and they forgot to tell anyone!!!

How many more people are affected and don't know it simply because they're not as savvy as James? I've been posting on the forum here and posted a new article, also, and my score has gone down during the same time period, which tends to contradict the "no human interference" theory.

1. SimeyC profile image88
                  SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mine always goes down a little when I publish new articles-  probably because the article is 'rated' lower than my average initially. Most users experience fluctuations in their score - mine varies by 5 to 10 over a period of three months. I think if there had been many others with a huge fluctuation then I think we would have heard about them!

Overall I would say the score is automated - there may be a few anomolies - but when you consider there are over a hundred thousand writers on here - there's always going to be exceptions.

If the score is automated, then what made James's score shoot back up in a short time?  Could just participating in one thread on the forums automatically cause that?  Inquiring minds want to know.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
                  psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would not assume that correlation = causation.

4. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

Perhaps, for HP, there is an issue of do we build a brand on the basis of 'Black Guys with White Girls' or the 'The 10 Best Toasters'.

1. sleepylog profile image61
      sleepylogposted 11 years ago

I see  your hubber score is now 82 James, so perhaps all the things you have tried are working out.

Another thing that lowers your hubber score is following too many people whose hubs you don't read. I only follow people whose hubs I read.

The one thing I can't fathom though is that there are hubbers out there whose English is appalling and whose hubber scores are in the 90s!! That's what makes me more mad than anything about HP.

Well, do you take the time to flag such atrocious yet high-rated hubs for the moderators? Vote it down if it's only somewhat horrible? That's part of our job--to help and police each other. Send a private email to someone who's got a prominent "oops" in an otherwise good hub or is an otherwise good hubber. We all win when quality goes up and it doesn't take more than a few seconds to flag a hub...

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was about to click "Like" and forgot that the forum do not have such feature. I agree 100%

Thanks, Cardisa! (And I have to say, your name is just beautiful! You probably hear that all the time, but still.) I often look for the "Like" buttons on the forums, too. :-)

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
      LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

Here is more food for thought: I have deleted about 10 low performing hubs in the last couple of days, have participated in the forums/questions more than usual, my views continue to increase on a daily basis, have continued publishing at least one hub per day (like when I first joined), the large majority of my hubs are featured (553 out of 587)........yet my profile score has been steadily dropping................roll

1. Nicole Winter profile image61
        Nicole Winterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes when you submit new hubs your Hubber Score can take a hit because the hubs are (originally) low-scored.  It takes time for them to garner views and once they do, (if they're high-quality, which I'm sure your hubs are!,) your score should sky-rocket back up....

At least that's what I think / understand of the system.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
          LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your argument makes sense, however, I have published a hub every day since I joined and my profile score used to remain the same +-, so I don't think that publishing a hub with a low staring score is the main issue with everything else remaining the same.
          On a side note; I have been more active recently on the forums than on recent months, yet my comment's score went down. The only thing that seems to have changed (on my part) is that I have been rather critical of some aspects involving the way the site (HP) is functioning lately.
          Don't get me wrong though, I love HP and would not foresee leaving anytime soon, since I still believe that this site is the best by far among a plethora of others..

3. Nicole Winter profile image61
      Nicole Winterposted 11 years ago

I spent the last few days going through my lists upon lists of folks @ Hub Pages who I follow.  It took a lot of time, but I cut out the folks that have been idled, (as I said in an elsewhere forum post,) and lo' & behold, when I awoke this morning my Hub score had risen seven points.

Congratulations, James, to your rising Hubber score, I'm happy that it's bringing you some peace of mind.

4. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

I am glad your score is back up, as you are an amazing writer.  When I first saw this post, I did notice that you had not published a hub in six months, and so I thought that was the reason.  As when I do not publish a hub in two weeks, my score will begin to drop  immediately, just as everyone else, I have noticed.  So, I thought that is the reason for your low score, but I am glad your friends helped you out!  We will keep plugging away, publishing every week or at least every other week.  God bless.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)