Unfollowing

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 10 years ago

When someone unfollows someone, there should be a short survey thing that asks why they are choosing to unfollow that person.  I'd like to know why someone unfollows me.  Is it something I wrote?  Or are they quitting hubpages in general?  What do you think?

1. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the suggestion, Lybrah! I'll bring it up in our next community meeting (this Thursday).

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, please don't!   People shouldn't be made to feel that unfollowing is some kind of sin to be cross-questioned about. 

Besides, what are you going to list as the options?

1.  This Hubber is not writing about topics that interest me
        2.  I'm following too many people and can't keep up
        3.  This Hubber is a cr@p writer

Would anyone really want to know that the reason is no. 3?

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol I totally agree!

2. Simone Smith profile image86
        Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah; we discussed this in our community meeting and agree that we chose not to emphasize un-Following on HubPages for several good reasons: first, we want people to feel free to un-Follow someone privately, second, we think that providing feedback on un-Following could open up new means of personal attacks (and give mods more work), and third, we imagine that this could lead to more negative feelings than positive improvement.

1. profile image0
          Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I see your point.  Some people can be really mean.

2. To Start Again profile image70
      To Start Againposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I just wouldn't take it personally. People follow hubbers and then never read anything they write, ever. So many times, following someone is just adding a number to their profile anyway. I'd be more interested in why someone chose to follow me in the first place. Although sometimes, you already know the answer....

3. innerspin profile image85
      innerspinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can't see any benefit from finding out why someone unfollows. It's a matter of personal choice whether you follow someone or not. If there was a questionaire, odds are there wouldn't always be an appropriate option for your reason.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I think that if that is done it should be option.  Unfollowing someone is not something people should feel they need to justify.  Andif that data is to be shared with the hubber that should be clearly disclosed because they can easily track to back to the person who filled out the form.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

I think there should be a questionnaire for people who follow.

1. Have you actually read anything written by this person?
    2. Are you just following because you hope they will follow you back?
    3. Do you think this is Facebook?
    4. If the person does not follow you back will you unfollow immediately or after a day has passed?
    5. List the five best articles this person has written including their current hub scores.
    6. In no more than five hundred words write a short piece on the way has this person enriched your life.
    7. Have you 'met' this person on the forums or via some other internet social network?
    8. Do you feel you could be friends with person in real life?
    9. Are you following because the person writes in the same area as you and you want to steal their ideas and content?
    10. If there was nothing in it for you - apart from early notification that your target has written a page - would you follow them?

Then the usual security checks would apply.  Perhaps a small payment required.

1. To Start Again profile image70
      To Start Againposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. anniebetty profile image60
      anniebettyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Love.

3. Ceres Schwarz profile image38
      Ceres Schwarzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

smile that's really funny. People might not want to follow others anymore if they have to answer such a long questionnaire.

4. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Damn Mark, you are amazing.  List on...

5. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mark, I agree. This would cut out the people that are following just because they want to copy our content elsewhere too. It would be like a spam filter.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually Barbara, I think Mark was being funny.

6. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have no issue with #6 as long as we can monetize the essay on our accounts.  We can give the followed person a link or two.  Nothing fancy.

4. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 10 years ago

People actually unfollow on here?

My laziness continually astounds me. I can almost never find the energy to unfollow someone, even if I don't particularly like them.

5. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

After the novelty of being followed by a bunch of people wears off and it will after a year or two and you start to really focus on making money you won't care one way or the other who follows or unfollows you.

Followers are just for socializing and for community spirit nothing more. It has no impact on you earning or writing ability.

People stop following people for various reasons including jealousy so I don't care to know why a person has stopped following me because they may not tell the truth anyway.

6. Stove And Home profile image93
    Stove And Homeposted 10 years ago

I have unfollowed people because their stories in my feed are a long list of, "XYZ is now following ABC," the person's hubs are too liberal-leaning, they write on a topic that I don't enjoy, or they can't write legibly in English.

In any case, people unfollow for many different reasons. I have been unfollowed many times. I don't take it personally. No one is everyone's cup of tea.

7. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

I'd say it's pretty clear by the fan mail if they leave any...and if they don't,I don't consider it a 'valid' follow.The first thing I do is visit their homepage and click activity to see if they're a serial follower.If not,I peruse their hubs to decide whether I want to follow them.I do think it's rude to follow and not at least leave a short note.Besides,I thought this was a writers site so what does it matter who and how many?I personally would like for people 'out there' to read my stuff...at least that's what the 'voices' are telling me at the moment...they Are a fickle lot...lol?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)