The HubPages Team features the most useless and boring Hubs possible.

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (45 posts)
  1. profile image0
    KFushaposted 10 years ago

During my time at Hub Pages, I have encountered plenty of wonderful, ingenious writers who create original, unique content which is fun and interesting to read. However, I have also encountered plenty of users who create boring, uninteresting Hubs simply with the purpose of MAKING MONEY. Everything is a business nowadays... Aren't writers supposed to be passionate about "writing" in itself, and not utilize it for the mere purpose of generating an income? I haven't made a dime from my writing, but I continue to do it simply because I love to write.

Unfortunately, the Hub Pages team seems to love featuring and promoting these unoriginal, useless articles such as "How To Clean Your Dog", "How To Use a Fork", or "How To Plant a Garden" (okay, I might have exaggerated a bit, but you get the point). It is really sad and enraging to see how a site full of talented writers and bright minds has transformed into a freaking business! Where is the love for the art of writing? Where is the passion?

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HP has always been a business so I don't know where you got the "transformed" from? It was certainly not set up as an altruistic endeavour... nor as a place for "passionate writers" to have some kind of MM party.

And think of this....many of those boring, unoriginal and useless hubs bring traffic and money that actually pay for the site to run...

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. To Start Again profile image70
        To Start Againposted 10 years agoin reply to this

exactly and this has been the same argument heard here for the last seven years lol

There are always those who think HP is for creative writing and that anything done to earn money (either by HP or by hubbers) is wrong. Honestly, this site has far more creative writing now than I have ever seen and is far more accepting and invested in it now than it has ever been IMO. There are different rules these days and parameters for judging/assessing/rating creative writing. It wasn't always that way.

Bottom line- You can have passion for writing no matter what you are writing about (I bet that's how a lot of hubbers picked their niches) and you can write creative writing as well as money earning writing at the same time in the same place.

Do all the writers who deserve to get noticed, get noticed? NO. But that, too, will always be the case. This is a big site, people are going to get lost and people are going to get mad.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
          Patty Inglish, MSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's about the size of it; those boring, useless hubs that people read by the tens of thousands are the ones paying the bills here.  Maybe, just maybe, they're not quite so boring OR useless as the OP thinks.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like the articles you have produced - some good stuff there.  Not a hope of being featured because as you have figured HP is for how to bake a cake, fix a sprocket and so on.  Of course it is.  It is for making money above all else - that is the reality.

What is marvellous about the site is that it is an easy place to publish other stuff - left-field, satrirical, political.  Not sure how long that will last - it is a luxury item.  It doesn't pay and to be honest - most people are not interested.

Writing that sort of thing appeals to the converted - and achieves little.

I hear your frustration and have felt it too.  Why can't I get traffic, get featured?  The answer is - no one is interested.  I have removed most of my political or challenging stuff - because it is pointless.

If writing is the point, and it is for many on here, then that should be enough.  Money won't come anyway.  If you want accolades or tributes - well that is surely meaningless.

What I am saying in a too long roundabout way is - I feel your frustration.  I suppose the clever thing to do would be to find a way to spread the word in an acceptable way to the mass market.  I can't.

And if you rattle the HP cage they do bite.

3. Alisha Adkins profile image91
      Alisha Adkinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your anger seems misdirected.  There is no point in lashing out at other Hub writers if your complaint is with HubPages' choices for HubPage of the Day.

On a personal note, I had a Hub featured as the Hub of the Day only a little over a month after joining the site.  It was not a commercial article -- in fact, it was a revision of an academic paper I wrote for a graduate level class -- and I didn't post it for the money.  I hadn't even set up ads on my account at the time.

4. profile image0
      Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This thread cracks me up. If it were all about making money, I think there are a zillion other things we could all do to make a lot more money than we do here. We do it because we love it, at least I do. I've made about 60 cents so far. Do I want to make more . . . heck yeah, and I don't see what's wrong with trying to earn a living.

I see that KFusha is gone. I guess he's better off doing his creative, original, and amazing content on a non-monetized blog somewhere if he has no interest in making a buck. He can write on Ezine, or a lot of places where your work is published and not monetized.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1 smile

1. CarlySullens profile image81
          CarlySullensposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+2 smile

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

I love to write. I make money doing it. I'm happy.

3. queerlyobscure profile image74
    queerlyobscureposted 10 years ago

It brings me as much joy to write a how-to that helps someone out as it does to write prose or poetry that serves to entertain.

On the other hand I make a living from writing (both article writing and fiction) so I imagine I'm a traitorous sellout debasing my craft or something, but, I think it's wonderful magic that people on the internet go out of their way to offer information for others, for no or very little reward, just because they want to share. I have great respect and admiration for people who create how-tos (and reviews!) with their heart in it, because someone, somewhere, has a use for that information. That's how they find it and that's why those pages do well.

There are significantly easier ways to make money than writing articles on the web. I think it's unfair to assume that the bulk of people are writing just to make money. I imagine most are writing to share their knowledge with people, and monetizing it on the side so the time they use to share their passions isn't entirely unpaid. Some people can't afford to spend a lot of time on a hobby unless there's some reward for it.

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image93
      Glimmer Twin Fanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well said queerlyobscure, and to the original poster...what might be boring/uninteresting to you might be quite fascinating and useful to someone else. 

I enjoy writing my how to hubs and if someone else enjoys reading them and finds them helpful then it's a win-win situation.  I earn some money and the reader gets the information he/she is looking for.

4. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 10 years ago

I found HP through a how-to article smile

5. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 10 years ago

Uh oh. What does that say about me and my article on how to remove warts? lol

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you should remove it immediately (the article, and the wart), unless you can make it into a poetic and creative fiction ( the article, not the wart).  smile

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

An Ode the the Wart that I Found in my Armpit one Midsummer Morning....

1. SmartAndFun profile image92
          SmartAndFunposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Now there is art and passion! lol

2. sabrebIade profile image80
          sabrebIadeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't aware you were a Vogon.

1. psycheskinner profile image84

On my mother's side.

2. SmartAndFun profile image92
        SmartAndFunposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. agilitymach profile image94
        agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If she can recreate warts into poetry and fiction, she should leave HP and make her own wart removal business.  She'll make millions and the world will have a lot of former warts masquerading as poetry and fiction!!  I'd love to read what my former warts have to say. wink

6. profile image0

It's not about entertainment, it's about originality. If you truly have a specific skill or knowledge of a particular field or object and you want to share it with everyone, then by all means, a "how to" article is the way to go.
    But, sitting there and "creating" work with the sole purpose of driving income, results in BORING, USELESS, and terribly written articles.
    If you don't consider yourself part of that category, then I guess this doesn't apply to you.

7. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I was willing to take your point until you started insulting people.  Now I am starting to wonder if you are just upset at not having your hubs chosen.

1. profile image0
      KFushaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How exactly did I insult people? Because I shared my personal opinion?

8. SmartAndFun profile image92

Perhaps this is a trolling expedition?

Susana S, What is an MM party? A Monstrous ego-Maniac party?

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That would fit as well smile I meant a mutual mast*$£&tion party.

I was a bit annoyed, lol.

9. profile image0

Apparently, sharing my opinion is considered "insulting". Well, I might as well match up to the definition of the word.
    You people and your self-righteous, hypocritical, ignorance blow my mind every time. You are all so brainwashed by this consumerist, materialistic culture. You eat, sleep and digest MONEY. Everywhere you look you see dollar signs. God forbid someone speaks up against your absurd obsessions and the lack of artistic inspiration, because you all feel "offended". Oh no, poor you!
    Why do you all feel the need to take such a defensive stance against what I have to say? This is my freaking opinion. If you don't like it, then take your ass somewhere else.
    Go read your Bible and watch some TV. Oh, and don't forget to report this either. Blocking someone's views that don't match with your own is probably going to help you feel better about yourself.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is this an opinion? OK,  in that case, we apologize.

2. queerlyobscure profile image74
      queerlyobscureposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You seem to understand your right to express *your* opinion, but have some difficulty understanding the idea that other people are then allowed to express their own - different, even! - opinion in response.

However, as you appear to have come across the secret of living without having to worry about money, I'd love to hear what you have to say on the subject.

Perhaps you could write a how to?

1. agilitymach profile image94
        agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You mad brah?

Yeah, you mad.

4. psycheskinner profile image84

Well if "creating" work with the sole purpose of driving income, results in BORING, USELESS, and terribly written articles" -- said immediately after people said they write here for money is not an insult "You people and your self-righteous, hypocritical, ignorance" certainly is.

Interesting that you further characterize people with different opinions from you as Bible readers and TV watchers too.  Bit of a prejudice there?  FWIW I am an atheist and an author. 

If you want your own opinions respected, start by respecting the views of others.  Otherwise, expect to be mocked--it is the appropriate response to hypocrisy.

5. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're completely missing the point.  HubPages is part of that consumerist culture, and its mission and values reflect that. 

There is no more point in bleating about how HubPages favours Hubs that make money, than in complaining because Samsung favours mobile phone models that make money.  They are both companies which exist to make a profit. 

HubPages is good enough to provide server space for writers who do not contribute to its profit. Very few businesses would do the same. So stop complaining and be grateful.

6. bgpappa profile image79
      bgpappaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to to the new Hubpages. If you dare speak out, they will insult you and try to make you feel stupid.

10. SmartAndFun profile image92

Surely this is a troll????

11. agilitymach profile image94
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

Ahhh.  And he is gone. smile  He must have been a troll.

12. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

He had a bunch of real seeming hubs.

Weird.

13. profile image0
    Ethan Greenposted 10 years ago

My principle aim on Hubpages is to make money. The same applies to both of my websites. I made my peace with that before I wrote my very first word.

I don't lose any sleep over it. I somehow doubt that anyone at Hubpages will lose sleep over this forum thread either.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Except maybe the OP, who decided to delete all his hubs and cancel his account in a tiff...

I'm kinda curious what he expected... Maybe us all donning Hugo Chavez t-shirts and storming HP central?

14. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years ago

OK, that was strange.

I just wanted to say that if an article is useless and boring then it's very unlikely to make money. That may be what the writer is striving for, but it's unlikely to be successful.

15. jdw7979 profile image72
    jdw7979posted 10 years ago

I understand what the writer is hoping to convey, yet at the same time I believe this sight functions at both, in regards to getting your voice across while being allowed to write about certain topics assisting people through every day life.

I always bring things back to personal responsibility and choice. You choose to come here to this site and "write." You can leave if you so choose, and I frankly enjoy all of the types of articles and fiction that have been written on HubPages. Would I like to see more promotion of fiction and/or opinion pieces? Sure! Though, I acknowledge what many come here to provide, whether that be for monetary gain or personal self-awareness and such. Some on here do not care for either, and just write to get a message out or possibly open up one's mind to something new.

I guess my point being, if you want to come here and make money, that is ok... and if you want to come here and write fiction or opinionated work along with whatever else your mind can create, then so be it, that too is great! I would like to do both and am striving at such.

Writing may appear to be an easy task, however that is far from the truth. The ideas are simple to form, although putting them down for others to see comes with a lot of baggage. I for one am willing to accept that baggage and kudos to HubPages for giving us the outlet to do so. Thank you HubPages, Hubbers, and all who enjoy and respect this art!

1. profile image0
      Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

I write on topics I enjoy, on things I like to read about myself and typically have extensively. I like personal growth books and articles, and if those things happen to be the biggest money makers on HubPages, then I guess that makes HubPages a particularly good fit for me. I am a writer. I've studied writing and honed my skills and came to HubPages to make use of them. I am a stickler for quality material . . . as quality as I am able to produce anyway, and attempt to make my writing engaging and interesting to read, not just a "boring list of how to's" or whatever. I want to make people's lives better while at the same time making a living, even if just a meager living.

1. jdw7979 profile image72
        jdw7979posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely, and well said! I believe this sight offers many options to create, opposed to some that only provide one or two outlets. Writing is not a millionaire's lifestyle, at least for most of us.. but it does assist in one's personal well being as with others. That is the great thing about his place.

Keep pushing and good things happen, whether of monetary value or just plain mental substance. Kudos Jennifer, and keep up the good work, I know I will try to, as I cannot think of any other passion I hold as strong as this!  Well, besides my family.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)