Religious people are less intelligent than atheists!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (147 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 10 years ago
    1. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's nice for them..........................

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Bible speaks on Gnostics.
      But Im sure this report is accurate. I can barely tie my own shoes. I have given them up entirely and moved to flip-flops to avoid the tears.

That seems the intelligent thing to do Beth37, maybe you should have gone barefoot to prove their point.

1. profile image0

I did... for years, but I couldn't figure out how to not get pregnant at the same time. I found the flip flops helped me slow down the reproduction process... I mean... the baby makin'.

1. profile image0
            Deepes Mindposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I thought a kitchen fit in somewhere too. Or was that ketchup?

1. profile image0

Sure, sure. I was in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant for more years than not.
              But that doesn't mean I didn't read. I went thru 2 comic books a week just to keep my reading skills up and I'd always have an O magazine on the coffee table for those times I really wanted to challenge myself.

I always kept my checkbook balanced too. Even if I ran out of fingers and toes to count on, there were always 2 or 3 kids nearby.

1. profile image0

That works too

3. profile image0

Thys cuddint bee morr rite.  Eye kan bearly walc an choo gum at duh sayme thyme

1. profile image0

That's the first thing you ever said that makes sense to me. wink

1. profile image0

I always make sense sometimes ...lol

4. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm interested in how they dealt with gifted children and adults who do embrace a faith and a means of religious expression.  I'm by no means unintelligent, even as far as the numbers are concerned. 

I'd be interested to see the actual study results. 

I wonder if the more concrete thinkers ... Let me touch it, see it, etc, are considered less intelligent than those who are somewhat more intuitive.  ??

Mark Knowlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It was a substantial amount of research projects. Very varied as far as I could tell. What does "Gifted" mean?

1. profile image0

Well, the article mentioned gifted children at an IQ of somewhere around 135 or above. 

And the sensing v. intuitive thinkers - most IQ tests tend to put intuitive thinkers higher up the ladder.  I've got a fairly high IQ but I test as a sensing thinker...which just points to how a person's brain interprets information more than anything else.

Yes - non believers I think.

1. profile image0

Well, not to be contrary, but given the same test, would it make a difference if the believer scored the same as the unbelievers?  It would seem then that they are equally intelligent?

1. profile image0

Good point, Mo. Now of course this would also raise the question of objectivity. Given the nature of the tests and the people administering the tests it could be easy to question the overall objectivity of the tests because the studies are contingent on a bunch of different factors such as the environment of the test subjects, the socioeconomic  class, etc.. When we take these factors into consideration it could be just as easy to accuse one of confirmation bias (Yes, this works both ways). Kinda gives new meaning to the term "controlled environment". How controlled is it and what is the nature of the control.

5. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is why your religion causes so many conflicts.

Yes. I can see why reality would bother you so much. Does god hate facts? lolol

6. HattieMattieMae profile image59
      HattieMattieMaeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lmao... i don't think religion has anything to do with intelligence. lol

7. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let's NOT GO THERE with that statement.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

WENT there unfortunately!

8. profile image0

If someone opened up a forum post saying something stupid like "Atheists are Less Intelligent than Christians", that person would be booted off Hubpages and banned.  But it's okay for someone to do an open attack on believers?  I find this insulting and the double standard annoys me.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are you on HP staff, or an owner? 

No?  Then why would you ever make such a statement, a statement that you have zero idea is true and that you cannot possibly support with evidence.  Faith?

1. profile image0

Oh, I can tell you right now that is exactly what would happen.  I've read some real insulting words by atheists and NOTHING happens to them, yet a Christian says something wrong and they are booted off the forums for a couple of days.  That is some real BULLS%$^*!

1. profile image0

lol...

2. JMcFarland profile image69
            JMcFarlandposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm.... This thread is not a personal attack against anyone.   Christianity,  as a religion,  cannot be offended.   This thread differs greatly from, I don't know,  going off the deep end and insulting/condemning someone personally because of their sexual orientation,  as you should remember from recent experience on another thread.

3. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know you could say that - you already did.  But I said you can't back it up with facts.  Or can you?

Names and dates of those booted for giving a link to a study saying atheists were less intelligent than Christians?

What?  Can't give any?  Kind of what I said, isn't it?

2. JMcFarland profile image69

Do you know how many Christian threads out there that ridicule or mock atheists?  Of course, you probably don't see anything wrong with those.  Yes,  the "double standard" is just so,  so wrong.   Please recognize that last sentance as sarcastic.   It was.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
          gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 10 years ago

Interesting. Thanks all for proving the point.

1. profile image0

You are welcome. smile

2. profile image0

No problem! Always happy to confirm a bias

Sorry if reality seems biased to you. Figgered it wood. Didn't bother reading it again huh? Like you didn't bother reading the other posts. LAWL That any proof and facts offered are BIAS. No wonder your religious beliefs cause so much conflict.

1. profile image0

Figgered it wood?

Thank you for writing that sentence in such a way that even I could understand.
          Im not very smart, but Im a good cook and I like... other things. Do I get credit for that or is my value based solely on my IQ?

Your value has nothing to do with your IQ. It simply means you will believe nonsense because you are not intelligent enough not to. You are still n good advertisement fer Jeebus. Jeebus like em dum. So I understand. wink

1. profile image0

Mark, you have a 90 hubber score... that means you're intelligent and what you have to say really matters.

Um - no. lol

2. profile image0

I actually read the whole article and found it quite interesting. My initial response was intentionally humorous as to not seem to take offense to it. I can understand how it correlates, but though it speaks to general differences it really doesn't mean all atheists are more intelligent than all theists. But of course I also understand why you would post the article wink. You knew it would strike a chord in some.and you accuse others of causing conflict

No - just generally. Generally - atheists are more intelligent than believers. I didn't write it - just shared it. lol

As you asked me to.

1. bBerean profile image60

Maybe instead of hub scores, our Avatars should show our IQs.  Hubpages would have to find a good way of validating tests, but wouldn't that be interesting?  (yes, I know I set myself up for a cheap shot speculating that my hub score could already be related to my IQ).

1. profile image0

Id probably do better with my EQ showing... though Ive never had my IQ tested. Who knows... I could be as dumb as Mark thinks I am.

1. bBerean profile image60

I genuinely think the self appointed "brights" would be surprised, or at least exposed for what they really are.

Or perhaps you are as dumb as you said you were?

3. Silverspeeder profile image61

Intelligent people don't get sarcasm Beth.......

1. profile image0

Is that the issue? Sarcasm is pretty much my first language. I wondered why Stephen Hawking was just staring blankly at me the other day.

2. profile image0

I asked you to? I don't remember asking that. Please refresh my memory as to when I asked

I thought you were interested in learning things? Not so?

1. profile image0

Always interested in seeing and learning things. I was under the impression that atheists want to question everything.. I question this study and everything that factors into this study and everything considered in this study, yet you say I'm rejecting this because of my beliefs.. The funny thing is that I would also question this same study if it was speaking to Christians being  more intelligent than atheists because most studies done in a controlled environment can be manipulated to suit the biases of the person or persons conducting the experiment.. Look at your article. There is nothing mentioned about the actual religious beliefs (or lack thereof) of any of the people conducting the study.. I would question this less if it was an even panel (qeual number of theists and non theists) or if there were more theists than atheists that came up with this same conclusion. Now of course I would still question other variables in this study as well such as where the people questioned and studied came from because culture can also play a part of the determination of what is or is not intelligence. Also (as DPH mentioned), whether the nature of the tests themselves because the psychological aptitudes of people are vastly different as well (a mathmetician versus an artist). there are a lot of variables to consider when conducting these types of tests and as such some of the tests are done in a biased manner. This encompasses a lot of areas, whether it is theist vs atheist, rich vs poor, black vs white, etc.

So realistically, there is only so much weight that tests such as this can carry in any scenario unless there is certain mutually agreed upon criteria is met.

I said no such thing.

This was 60+ studies undertaken over several years using IQs as the basis for "intelligence." You don't think measuring IQ is a valid way of determining intelligence?

We can draw a simple conclusion. Higher IQ = less religious. If you choose to think that high IQs do not denote intelligence fair enough, but there was some reasonable explanations as to why higher intelligence as measured by IQs would lead to less religiosity.

I haven't seen the actual data myself but if you want to review it - you can do so here:

http://psr.sagepub.com/content/early/20 … abstract-1

Does it bother you? I mean - this religion you subscribe to does extremely well amongst agricultural peasants. That is who it was written for in the first place. wink

I must admit I would be interested to see if painters, artists and musicians etc are more or less religious than the general population.

3. Silverspeeder profile image61

Hold on a minute................................

Was it stupid people who invented the atomic bomb?

It seems intelligent people are as stupid as stupid people.

Why would anyone want to conduct such a survey or study anyway?

Oh I know........................................................

To show how intelligent they are!

I can see why that would bother you.

Oh well....

I stopped worrying about studies and surveys when I realised the gapping holes in them,

"WHEN I was young I found out that the big toe always ends up making a hole in a sock," Einstein once recalled. "So I stopped wearing socks."

1. profile image0

lol. I love simple logic... but then Ive only got half a brain.

Right. Gotcha. I can see why you would not be interested in any actual facts. lololo

The fact that an intellectual calls me stupid doesn't worry me one iota, I've seen what intelligent people are capable of.

2. profile image0

Hey, you should check out this article I found in Cosmo.

people_named#mark*knowles?are_biter-in,real*life.com

Ah - lying. I thought your God burned you in hell for that? Guess you are not intelligent enough to understand that huh? sad

1. profile image0

lol. You're a trip. What's your real name? Are you honest at all times?

This is my real name. Yes - I am honest at all times - except where it might be less painful to tell a white lie.

Is that OK with you Ms. 37?

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

People who make ridiculous claims and start foolish threads should be given some leeway since they probably aren't as intelligent as they think. smile

4. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 10 years ago

The issue is how is the intelligence being measured and how are they defining it? The trouble with IQ tests is that they don't measure the full breadth of human sentience and they have cultural biases too.

Now if you are going to define intelligence by a measure of problem solving skills only, then you are going to only appeal to those who have a bias that way, and you will ignore those who are creative, those that produce beautiful works of art or music. These creative people accomplish these things without requiring to work through a logical thought process, or solving some esoteric problem test. Perhaps creative types are more intelligent because their brains bypass the logic biased thought process and produce beautiful things by instinct and emotion.

As for claiming success in life as a measure of intelligence, what is used to define success? Is it the narrow interpretation loved by corporate high fliers, the financial industries or the phd scientists? There are millions of very intelligent people in the care and social services, looking after the needs of the unfortunate, but being crap paid they are not credited as being successful.

I would not be surprised that those of a scientific, engineering or mathematical bent would be less inclined to be religious as the entire focus of their work is on evidence, objective, testable and repeatable. So naturally they would be inclined to apply these processes to religion and we all know from forumland that the existence of God is not provable. Does this mean they are more intelligent? It ain't necessarily so.

Take the arts or the care and social studies professional who's wired up with emotional intelligence, who excel in social skills, sensing feelings, acting on instinct and gut feelings, those subconscious thought processes. In a social setting they'd run rings around the geeky emotional retards with beards and obsession with quantum physics or macro economics. Perhaps their understanding of religion is somewhat different to those who love flawed IQ tests. Less intelligent if they believe in God? It ain't necessarily so.

Perhaps you shouldn't believe everything you read Mark without question, it makes you look like an unintelligent religionist. Oh and your spelling leaves a lot to be desired too.

1. profile image0

I agree... at least I would if I could understand all them big words. We need more pictures on the forum so the religious folk have something to look at while all y'all are busy reading all them words.

2. profile image0

You explained this so much better than I could.. +1.

3. Mark Knowles profile image58

Admittedly my typing skills are poor. Odd that you think I believed it - I just shared it. I think it is fantastic that you waded through all 63 studies. Well done. Flawed huh? Are you now an expert on such things? Or - maybe, just maybe - there is something to this study. wink Still - better to reject it as flawed and go back to believing stuff with absolutely no evidence at all.

1. profile image0

It isn't so much about rejecting studies like this as it is finding out everything that was considered in going into each of these tests.

5. chefsref profile image66
    chefsrefposted 10 years ago

When I was born, we went to a Methodist church, later my mother converted back to Catholicism so I converted too (At 6 years of age)
    Later still I became mostly agnostic.
    So, does that make me twice as unintelligent as someone with only one religion to their name? Or does my current agnosticism somehow immunize me?
    Studies also show that Fox News viewers are less informed than people who don't watch Fox. I wonder if this means that Foxer's are also more religious.
    In the end, no amount of studies will convince anyone to become less religious or more intelligent, after all, they have faith which tells them to believe the unprovable.
    Now, my invisible friend that lives in the sky has told me to shut up

I would expect that foxers (being stupid enough to watch that) would also be more religious. Of course no actual facts will convince people to be less religious. That is the point. wink

1. profile image0

This does not apply to all believers.

I would beg to differ. The facts do not support a creator god. Sorry. wink

1. profile image0

Current facts  do not support but absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.  At the same time, there is more to it that I have to say but I will address it later

2. profile image0

It just means you were a very stupid child, but you are a genius now. smile

I just saw a study today about Fox news compared to CNN.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/randy-hall … hannel-fox

Please keep in mind, I do not watch Fox news, Im not fond of bias in the media on any side... I just thought since you mentioned it, I'd post the article.

6. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8295389.png
    Boy, oh boy, oh boy, the drama continues yet again. Will it EVER end. There are religious and atheistic people who are highly intelligent, some have doctorate and other advanced degrees.  Conversely, there are religious and atheistic people who are NOT so intelligent. 

There are religious people who routinely critique and analyze their respective religion while there are atheists who parrot their beliefs and accept it blindly! No one group has a monopoly as to who is more intelligent.  Any more questions? Enough said regarding the matter at hand.

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

7. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

Perhaps we should look to the third group - the agnostics - for real intelligence.  They are the only ones smart enough and honest enough to say "I don't know".  The only truthful answer anyone can give.

lol

8. bettybarnesb profile image59
    bettybarnesbposted 10 years ago

Atheists are people who believe God exist or they would not have a reason to consistently complain. He must exist to them in order to consistently complain that He isn't real. How can you hate whom you say isn't real? Atheists are confused souls seeking for answers the wrong way.

1. profile image0

Good luck getting this one to fly. Atheists do not hate God. They dislike being beaten over the head with things that cannot be sufficiently proven to their satisfaction.

1. bettybarnesb profile image59
        bettybarnesbposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are beaten down, as you put it because of the "t-shirt" you wear advertising that you don't believe in God! But you must believe in Him in order to dislike Him. Why advertise consistently that you don't believe? I want you to look up in the dictionary the term "atheist" then you may change your views in the response you wrote to me.

1. JMcFarland profile image69

You don't know any atheists, do you?

apparently, you don't know Christians either, since deepes is one.

You think that atheists deserve to be "beaten down" because they wear atheist shirts and you disagree with them?  Really?  Do you beat down people who wear shirts you don't like?  For every atheist or secularist shirt out there, there are a thousand religious ones.  What about those?  Or do you not see a problem with those because they happen too align with your beliefs?

Atheism means a lack in belief in a god.  I'm not sure why that's such a difficult concept for you too grasp.  Do you have to dislike Bigfoot in order to not believe that he exists?  I do not dislike god.  I dislike his supposed book.  I dislike a lot of the deplorable morality that followers of his book exhibit.  I dislike the actions and atrocities that belief in that book has caused.  But I feel no differently about your god than I do about the tooth fairy, zeus or aliens.  I dislike the way the Christian right have steamrolled a secular country and rewritten history.  I dislike three fact that they tryto force through laws based in their beliefs that apply to those who don't share them, and I dislike the blatant arrogance and ignorance that a lot of Christians display regularly.

Or are you saying that atheists should not have the right to the freedom of speech that you so enjoy to slander us?

2. profile image0

I was speaking based on conversations that I have had with atheists. Sorry you misunderstood my comment as me being atheist. I am a believer in God. I was actually trying to advise you that your argument wasn't going to go far with the atheists. Sooo many others have tried and it didn't work. But since you want to to on a tirade against someone before  you understand who they are and what they believe, I will gladly leave you to it. Good luck (you'll need it)

3. Zelkiiro profile image88
          Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's funny. I didn't know I had to believe that Emperor Palpatine was real before I could hate him...

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Judging from posts in this forum, I would think that applies all the way around.  Atheists can't prove their points. Theists can't prove their points. Round and round they go. Bulls in china shops when it comes to opinions they don't understand, or appreciate.

1. profile image0

Good point Emile

9. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Shoot the messenger? Naw, Mark. We love ya.

Intelligence has nothing to do with religion. My religious/spiritual youngest brother has an IQ far above 200. Of the 4 Martin boys, I have the lowest IQ at 139 (borderline genius, by some estimates).

I've studied electronic engineering and excelled at it in the 70s. I have a computer science degree, summa cum laude. I've been a Hollywood artist with screen credit. I'm a published author ("Touch the Stars: Emergence," Tor Books, New York), which nearly earned out its advance (not a best seller, but hey, it was my first). And I'm a first-place award-winning essayist ("Outsiderness in the Scientific Community," Krupnick Award, LA), and first-place award-winning short story writer ("Toady," Dutton Books Award, LA).

There are a lot of dumb folk who lap up religious dogma as if it were Truth, and a lot of atheists who do the same by just knowing that religion is the source of all evil. Both camps are full of bias and dogma -- fixed ideas and egotistical worldviews.

A more unbiased view of reality would see that the source of all problems is ego. Ego is selfishness. Ego is separateness -- me versus you.

Humility is the antidote to ego. Love is the cure.

Love you, Mark. Keep it interesting.

No doubt there are exceptions that prove the rule - yes. That is why the study was so comprehensive - because it is not possible to draw any conclusions from a few people with high IQs who are prepared to reject reason and logic to accept religious belief.

Religion - is by it's very nature divisive and separatist. As you have told us many, many times - you see things and understand things far, far better than those of us who rely on reality. Your egotistical fantasy that you are superior, while telling us you have let go of your ego is always entertaining. wink

Still - clearly there is a correlation between religion and intelligence (as measured by IQ tests). You simply not bothering to read the study and rejecting what it proved is a good example of how damaging religious belief can be in our society. Despite the fact that you appear to be well educated, you immediately rejected the findings of this study in order to defend your irrational beliefs. In days gone by, I would be stood in front of an Inquisitor about now. Thank goodness for progress huh? big_smile

10. enuke profile image60
    enukeposted 10 years ago

what is the means of intelligence means, do not say for seeing some content feel the experience then say the things

1. profile image0

Uh........huh?

1. Castlepaloma profile image74
        Castlepalomaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dawkins stated he is deeply religious, is that an intelligent thing to say?

11. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 10 years ago

Hey, Mark, so what?

It might be true, but I doubt that there is a huge difference in intelligence between religious people and atheists. Not enough to matter.

1. Castlepaloma profile image74
      Castlepalomaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Intelligent is difficult thing to measure because of the million things that make up a soul. I would agree that no-believers would have an higher IQ not necessarily a higher EQ

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)