The greatest lie ever told.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 10 years ago

That a human life is worth less on the basis of the color of their skin, their gender, their faith, their sexuality or their nationality.
    Perhaps the greatest of these is nationality, at least with the others (unjustifiable as they are) there is some physiological or psychological difference, but no lie has killed (and continues to kill) as many people as the last one and no lie is more illogical than that the value of someone's life is determined by which imaginary lines they were born between.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not only it is the GREATEST lie, it is the MOST INSIDIOUS of all lies.  Separations, segregations, annihilations, and abuses of many kinds occurred because of this artificial social construct.  All are ONE and humankind is gradually advancing towards this; however, we have a LONG, LONG way to go.
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8197440_f248.jpg

2. profile image56
      Education Answerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A human life is worthless on the basis of age or being unborn?  Does this fall in the same category then?  Isn't it just as illogical to say that an unborn baby can be aborted one day but not the next, based solely on age?  Isn't it just as illogical to say that a pregnant mother can abort a baby, and that's legal; another pregnant mother can be murdered, and it's a double homicide?  You can quite literally go to prison for killing an unborn baby IF you are not the mother, and the baby was wanted.  IF you are the mother, you can abort (kill) the unborn baby, and that's all right.  The world is full of imaginary lines.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Josak profile image60
        Josakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually I am unsure on that one personally but this thread really isn't a conversation on abortion, here are plenty of those around if you want to have that conversation.

3. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're right - the world is full of lines.

You've drawn the line for "baby" onto the timeline of growth long before many others would, and then ignored those other lines as if they didn't exist.  People very often do the same thing with their own lives as well.

What makes a mix of black and white nearly always black?  Just the line that people draw.

What makes an American into an "African American"?  Just the lines that we want associated with our person.

And those "lines", or "labels" is just what the OP is about.  Labels we can use to denigrate others, to make them seem they are worth less.

1. Josak profile image60

Exactly.

2. profile image56

We can disagree on abortion.

Okay, let's agree on something here then, Wilderness.  Who do you protect first, your own family or your neighbor's family?  Should America protect and preserve life within its own border before protecting the lives of others?  If so, shouldn't we have border security, so we can tell who enters our country?  Some, likely Josak, would say that we shouldn't have this security, that our country should have open borders.  Further, they would say that the American lives lost because of criminals entering our country illegally is justified based on the number of illegal aliens who get opportunity.  I feel that our country owes it to our citizens to have security, to know who is entering our country, and to protect and defend American lives.  Should we sacrifice our own family security or way of life to allow greater opportunity to a neighbor?

1. Josak profile image60

So you are saying that that someone's life is worth more or less dependent on where they are born?

1. profile image56

I'm saying that I take care of my own family before trying to take care of somebody else.  If helping somebody else puts my family at risk, I won't do it.

1. Josak profile image60

Actually you will note the lack of "family" being listed as one of those lies.

But something like immigration policy is not reasonably based on protecting one's own family.

Ugh, I know now I am going to get the illegals commit crimes and Latin men rape girls but I am not racist thing.

The issue is quite simple either you believe all human lives are precious and equally worth protecting (putting aside the death penalty for certain crimes etc.) or some lives are worth less than others based on where they are born, their nationality, race etc.

It's some kind of morality by proximity.

1. profile image56

All life is valuable, but that doesn't mean that all people should have access to our country.   We have an obligation to protect life.  By allowing ANYBODY into our country, we are endangering people. 

I believe that these people's lives had value too:

http://www.ojjpac.org/memorial.asp

http://standwitharizona.com/blog/2011/1 … al-aliens/

There is a legal way to enter our country, and that way involves a background check, something that protects people.

2. wilderness profile image95

Protection depends on local, specific task.  The soldiers storming Normandy were protecting their neighbor, the man attacking a thief is protecting his family.

Ethically, the concept of ownership, specifically that of land, exists and is valid.  Yes, the nation has the ethically right to say who can come in and occupy their land.

Legally, the constitution tasks the president with protection of our borders (whether he tries to fullfill that duty or not is another tale) so yes we also have the legal right under US laws to prohibit alien visitation.  In addition, international law also recognizes land ownership and thus the right to deny access to aliens.

None of which has anything to do with denigrating others as mentioned in the OP.  No person is defined as a person by the term "alien"; it is simply a label affixed to indicate legal status.

1. profile image56

Wilderness, the bottom line stands.  Would you take care of your own family before taking care of others?  Do you feed your neighbor's child at the expense of your own?  Life is equal, but we have an obligation to protect certain life first, our own family and our own citizens.

1. wilderness profile image95

Can only answer "It depends".  Given the choice I will feed my child before my neighbors.  Given the choice I may feed all the children of the nation before my own.  I'm not sure I could even if I recognize the moral necessity.

4. grand old lady profile image83
        grand old ladyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+2

3. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Last I check the world was coming to the aid of the Philippines. Trying to stay positive.

You've made a very good point however, I've always thought it was strange that North American armies go into other continents and can legally kill, but when someone kills them they are charged with murder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khadr

1. Silverspeeder profile image61
        Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is the question one of legality or survival of the fittest.

He who has the biggest weapon wins?

1. wilderness profile image95

As the one with the biggest guns generally make the laws (and the morals) there isn't much difference.  They just kid of merge into one most of the time.

4. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately the world operates on a self regulated set of standards. The majority or influential have the right to determine the rights of others. Why is it that the oil producing nations in the middle east garner so much support from the US while the northern and middle countries of Africa get entirely ignored? The greed factor has a lot to do with it and the hierarchy that controls it determines the outcome. The existential movement towards globalization seems to have a more open minded approach of equal competition between nations. The hard truth is that slave labor is easily accessible as the underlying impetus.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image75
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

There is nothing wrong with fences. This is how we get along with our neighbors. Don't be fooled:
    No new taxes for universal welfare.

1. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Human nature

Why is it that humans always forget the survival of oneself and your offspring is paramount above all other things, most of us have not evolved into the sacrificial lamb but the few who have now want us to believe its the norm. Survival of the fittest has what has kept humans the dominant force on this planet.
      Evolution ah, the survival of the weakest will be the predominate preoccupation of the mediocre.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image75
        Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank You, Silverspeeder! God's silver and gold speed to you!

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this
  3. Kathryn L Hill profile image75
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

whats wrong with fences again? We are all the same color underneath. Rip off the skin of anyone and it will be bloody red. This doesn't mean national boundaries or confederate boundaries are necessary. Unless you are a
    NWOT.
    Definition of NWOT: New World Order Type.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image75
      Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

edit: unnecessary or a bad thing.

2. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This must mean that the government and corporations of the USA are new world order types as they have absolutely no respect for national boundaries.

4. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 10 years ago

I don't know about greatest.  For me, the greatest lie ever told is progress is inevitable.  It lulls us into an illusion of comfort, where we just "expect" everything to magically get better, simply because of the passage of time.

Our entire existence as a species is as stake because of this lie.

1. profile image56

We're also lulled into thinking that all change is progress.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)