Was at an atheists funeral the other day...

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (53 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Theologianposted 13 years ago

Poor guy, all dressed up and nowhere to go.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, that's an atheist for ya!
      though if he was creamated he could go into the wind.......cool

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now, there's some real respect and dignity. smile

absolutely! I might want that myself actually.

1. Beelzedad profile image58

You would need to offer it first rather than making disrespectful comments like this:

1. hanging out profile image62
            hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

was he smiling?  lol

3. alternate poet profile image66
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This smug self conceited piece of nastiness becomes the OP.

You may not understand absence so I will make it simple.  Absence is what could or should be there and isn't.  Your post is absent of: compassion, love, decency, reason and humanity.  It might be better to keep this kind of post to yourself if you want to keep hidden your true nature.

1. mythbuster profile image70
        mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I think the OP might have been one of those "inside voices" getting lose in the room - someone shouted out what might have been better whispered or shared with only known friends who might have felt a similar way about this topic.

Perhaps a simple, "Here's a joke for you all" might have put such phrases in better perspective...

I sort of feel cheated that I read the title from forum-list view, already set in my mind to be supportive is someone had really been to a funeral - for ANYBODY... I showed up prepared to at least attempt a compassionate understanding for such a situation...

Now who the heck can I feed this compassion to now that I geared up for it?

Oh - alternate poet - here... *hugs*

Now I appear WEIRD, probably weirded-out a-poet and all 'cos I got sucked into a joke?

1. alternate poet profile image66
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that is what I said in my reply to the OP inmy own way big_smile   maybe without the hug though.

All hugs gratefully recieved and returned in the spirit in which they are offered.  And I only feel weird about it if you get clingy big_smile

2. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed

3. profile image0
        Theologianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I make a light hearted joke. Which is what it was. And in turn you indirectly (or even directly, but you choose your words well) accuse me of hate, indecency, being unreasonable, inhumane and nasty. Talk about going over the top! Lighten up dear fellow. Take a few deep breaths. Why so serious?

they ONLY KNOW HOW TO ARGUE. don't even worry about their pretend compassion, they aren't showing u any by even simply understanding the obvious, ITS A JOKE.

:LOL:

4. thevoice profile image59
        thevoiceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

breaking God teachings in Jesus the holy spirit by all this human degradation of life

4. profile image56
      exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this is not a christian attitude

5. profile image0
      AKA Winstonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That wasn't a guy....that was mom....you probably didn't recognize her with clothes on....

6. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting BullsEye you have on the Side of Your Melon... Pity it's not where your mouth is yikes  smile

7. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Strange thing about mortality, nobody makes it out alive. Though it seems deeply tragic for his fellow athiests, It's not as big of a loss as they think. It's just a temporary abode between now and the next life.

1. Friendlyword profile image60
        Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now we can start a conversation. 
        I think Athiest are young souls that haven't lived enough lives to have the wisdom of faith.
        I was told I have a very old soul.
        I like that!

1. profile image0
          Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's an interesting thought. My belief is that all souls are without begining or end.

8. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol
      Well obviously he went somewhere because as you witnessed, he's no longer here. I'd venture to guess he's with all the other people who preceeded him, whether it's heaven, hell or oblivion.

Contempt and mocking atheists doesn't become a theologian. From my vantage point, mockery is not limited to one side. It's heavily prevalent with atheists and believers. But jabs don't seem to help either side.

1. profile image50
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Contempt and mocking religion does not make one serve humanity either

1. Beelzedad profile image58

Only the elimination of religion will serve humanity. smile

Maybe u can get job on stage with your sense of humor   smile

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
          Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let me reiterate:

"From my vantage point, mockery is not limited to one side. It's heavily prevalent with atheists and believers. But jabs don't seem to help either side."

9. Medora Trevilian profile image60
      Medora Trevilianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Were you a friend of the deceased? If so, he lives on in your memory.

10. ErnieFir profile image58
      ErnieFirposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jokes are jokes, and I found this funny. Hats off to you. Gotta enjoy a good joke. Really hope that there is something past the dirt though, eh?

11. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And the worst thing about it is that since he was an Atheist, he most likely went to hell sad

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
        EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What a lucky guy, at least he doesn't have to spend eternity with a bunch of self-righteous, arrogant believers.

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"most likely"?

According to the Christians, there was no "most likely" about it - when the atheist can't convince themselves that your personal myth is true, they will burn forever.  Thus the continual threats from the Christians in a futile attempt to promote their myth as truth.

2. profile image0
    Theologianposted 13 years ago

Just curious, are you a really a school girl?

no. I picked that name as a temp name before I joined.....then it stuck
      I am for real thou smile

I don't really like it anymore.
        But can't change it!
        roll!

1. Csanad profile image71
          Csanadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you massaged to the Hubpages staff? I think they could solve the problem.

3. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 13 years ago

Not too many atheists around. Mostly agnostics.

4. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Was at an atheists funeral the other day...

How do different denominations of the non-believers- the Atheists, Agnostics and/or Humanists dispose of their dead?

Anybody please

1. profile image0
      AKA Winstonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We just dump them in the wagon on "Bring Out Your Dead" day.

now that was a good one  lol

2. profile image50

Do they do it "humanly"?

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

good question...it depends of what are definition of humanly..but i guess burying deads is very old tradition..much older than current form of religions came into being..

1. profile image50

But the Atheists Skeptics don't like the old tradition; what new they have come up with in this connection- burying their dead and why?

burying is not new..burying came from evolution and home erectus was first home species which buried those who died..so you can imagine how old it would have been...yes some civilizations formed new ways like hindu who dont bury or parsi who also dont bury...but largely burial is way followed..in my opinion it burying and parsi thing is still better..atleast it can be used by some other species for food...but personally best way would be donating body for further research then letting body go waste...

3. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agnostics aren't really non-believers. They're just undecided. Humanists can be believers, atheists or agnostics though probably not all three at once.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The same ways everyone else does.  What would you expect?  Not going to heaven does not change the need to honor the deceased and comfort the bereaved, many of whom will not be atheist.

5. hanging out profile image62
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

I thought it was funny since no names were mentioned,
    didn't say if it was a baby or not
    and God didn't get blamed for smiting him.
    smile
    It does sound truthful lol

6. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

poor guy?..well if thats how you define then all those who die would fall in same category..atleast he knew he isn't going to anywhere since he is dead smile

7. torimari profile image66
    torimariposted 13 years ago

I lol'd. 'Poor  guy' wouldn't even know as he's simply worm food. :]

The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful and has nobody to thank.

you are right..it is good to be in illusion than know that there was never any one out there..at least while dying illusion can give comfort smile

8. rebekahELLE profile image83
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

now mr. theologian, how do you really know? 

does anyone ever just take a quick break into the forums and pick a thread to read.. and laugh at the sheer folly of the responses? hmm

1. Diane Inside profile image72
      Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

on both sides.

9. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I knew it was a joke right off.
    But I had also taken the bait thinking this thread was going to actually discuss what occurs at an atheist's funeral.
    I have only been to one, my ex-husband's.
    It wasn't a "funeral" in the classic sense. A memorial service orchestrated and hosted by his employer, plus interment.

My observation is that no matter what he did or didn't believe, I can't help but apply my own beliefs onto the situation.
    If I believe in an afterlife or Heaven, I picture him there.
    If I don't, I don't picture him at all, cuz the visual ain't pretty.

1. thevoice profile image59
      thevoiceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

as parents we should respect accept all people views cultures faith

10. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

And yet another thread not left alone to die in peace.

Excuse the pun, but seems this one needs to be left for dead.

11. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Oy vey... this hub is 3 years old. Have we nothing better to talk about?

Let's start a thread about how we care about each other's well being no matter what our belief system. I wonder if we could do that without fighting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)