URL/Title Creation: Second Chance, Please?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (30 posts)
  1. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I just noticed a "glitch" today after creating my latest hub when writing in a title. The title is the first thing I write when I open the hub tool. As I'm writing the hub, making many additions and changes to my original, I look at the title to see if it still fits. In most of my hubs, I end up changing the title as I write and add capsules.

Today, after the hub had been published and featured, I noticed in Google Analytics, that the URL was my original title that I thought I had changed! I now realize whatever we type in the title box first, remains as the title in the URL! Only the actual hub title changes. This is not fair as I always tweak the title before I publish the hub.

This discovery inadvertently answered some questions that have confused me as well, like the time I discovered that the URL for my hub on Women's Public Restroom Behavior had "Pubic" and not "Public" or another title I found that had a minor typo. Apparently, I thought I made corrections in the title during creation of the hub or in subsequent editing. But now I know the mistakes stay once you put those characters in the first time and hit "continue" or "done editing." Maybe it becomes permanent after the first time we hit "done editing" or "save unpublished."

I already knew that URLs are permanent and cannot be changed. This is not my issue. I'd like to know if it's possible to look at this "glitch" to see if any changes can be made so that the URL is not permanent until we have actually hit "published."

1. drmiddlebrook profile image90
      drmiddlebrookposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One thing you can do, to change the URL, is to delete and then re-publish the Hub using the corrected title/URL. You start by saving your Hub copy in a Word file, plus any visuals you may have published with the Hub, and then, delete the Hub. In other words, "un-publish" it, and then create the new Hub with the new URL. I've done this at least once, so I know it works. It's a lot of work, but if you really want the URL and the title to match, at least there is a way you can do it.

jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for that alternative, drmiddlebrook. I will keep that one in mind for the future.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why didn't you do that with the 'public restroom' Hub?

I know that's what you suggested before, but I decided to leave it alone for now. I gets a few views here and there. Maybe after the new year I'll fix it, no rush. At least I have options.

I understand.  I don't think most visitors will notice, but Google does. If you do a search on Google for this: "pubic restrooms", you get over 4,000 results!

Ha ha, maybe we have to account for searchers entering typos, too. :-)

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's not a "glitch", it's the way it's always been I think.   The URL is created with whatever you first type in.  I remember noticing it a long time ago.

Yes, it's an after-the-fact discovery. Now I know.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As others have explained, the URL cannot be changed once it is selected.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#Name-Hub

So noted, thanks. I will select final title earlier from now on.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The other thing to bear in mind is that it's not important to have the title and URL match.  In fact, some writers make them different on purpose!   That way you can use a greater variety of keywords.

Writer Fox explained the same, will definitely keep that in mind. Great tip, thanks Marisa.

4. mikejhca profile image93
      mikejhcaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I made a hub just for my rough drafts. That way I don't need to worry about getting the title exactly the way I want it before I write the hub. It is usually easier to figure out the exact title I want to use after I have written most of the hub. It also lets me see how the title fits. I can see if I want to make it longer or shorter. It is not difficult to move the content to a new hub.

5. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jan, one of my best performers with over 44,000 views has a typo in teh URL...lol. If the keywords are related to the hub then it doesn't matter. As a matter of fact a different URL may work in your favor (so long as it's related). Is the hub published. Can I see it?

Hi Cardisa, yes the one with the mistake has been published for months. It has a lady applying red lipstick: Women's Public Restroom Behavior I think is the name. Sorry for not getting the link for you. I'm squimish about doing that. Thanks.

1. Cardisa profile image88
          Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'll find it...lol

Found it. i have to admit the title is kinda funny...lol but I don't think it will hurt it much. However, you may need to find strong keywords for that hub. Yes, back to the keywords thing.

Yes, ma'am. smile Always appreciate your advice because it works! I have LOTS of work to do on my hubs, will add keywords to the list.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

I believe that once you click on 'continue' on the title page that it cannot be changed anymore. Perhaps you should write it in Word (or somewhere) and check it until you are sure it is to your liking.
    When it is, then you can copy/paste it to the new Hub page to make sure that you get it correct.
    If you want you can also check it word for word against the other one which you just typed.

Thanks, The Examiner-1, I appreciate your help. I see now that I will have to settle on a title earlier than I realized and stick to it. Bummer. My hubs, as well as hub titles, always morph into something else as my writing process moves forward. It's just how I work. But I will make the adjustment.

You can change the Title, even after a Hub is published.  But, as you discovered, the URL will remain the same.  The URL doesn't have to exactly match the Title and most of mine don't.  I prefer a short URL and a longer Title, so most of mine don't match on purpose.

Oh, now that's an idea. Now that I know, I can use it to my advantage. Thanks so much, Writer Fox. What is the advantage of a shorter URL?

It looks better to users.  URL's that go on and on and on don't look professional and are less likely to be linked to by other people.

Thanks for the tip.

2. MsDora profile image95
              MsDoraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks from me also for this tip.  We keep learning, don't we?  I knew that I couldn't help with the answer to Jan's problem, but it pays to read anyway.

3. pocono foothills profile image49
    pocono foothillsposted 10 years ago

I agree, I think it would be nice to have the ability to change the URL.  That would be a lot easier than starting from scratch again, because even copying and pasting all the content from an old Hub with a bad URL into a new one with a good URL is time consuming.

Yes, pocono foothills, time is of the essence when producing hubs in our otherwise busy lives.

4. JRScarbrough profile image75
    JRScarbroughposted 10 years ago

You can delete the hub but I wouldn't. If you delete it after it is already indexed by Google you will need to wait out the indexing again. Really, your link doesn't matter, eventually Google's bot will return and the index info will change even though the link remains the same. Basically, as long as your title contains the keywords you are aiming for, you are fine. The link does add value like that but the way a link is formed, it is not providing you anything in the way of keyword aid.

For example, this link http://jrscarbrough.hubpages.com/hub/5- … to-Die-For
    adds nothing to my rank in Google through the keywords at the end. That word would be a long one "5-Mexican-Dishes-to-Die-For". BUT my actual title heading does ad something. I change my titles about 3 months into their Google indexation sometimes and it does nothing to hurt the page to have the link remain the same as the first title choice.

Hope this helps.

Yes, this does help, JR. I appreciate the example.

1. JRScarbrough profile image75
        JRScarbroughposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No problem Jan. These were questions I did a lot of reading on before I messed with my own Hubs, I noticed this too. The reason they keep the link is so Google or other search engines will not lose your hub and then you have to wait to appear in search engines again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)