Hub texts translated into other languages

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 10 years ago

I have just had someone offer to translate a hub of mine into Polish so it can be posted on Polish sites with a link included to the original English version here. Would this be allowed under HubPage rules about duplicate content?

1. vocalcoach profile image93
      vocalcoachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I, too would like to know the answer to this question.  My guess is, that it would not be considered duplicate content, but this is just a guess.

1. profile image62
        ronbarakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Since determening is a content is duplicate is done (most likely) automatically (e.g., using a search engine automation or robot), I fail to see how could hubpages determine that the Polish text and the English text are the same.
        To convince yourself on machine's translation state-of-the-are, take your hubpage English text, use Google Translate to translate it to Polish, and then translate that back to English. You'll see that you can abandon any hope/fear of a "duplicate."

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that is an interesting question, Bard, one which I have never thought about. I am curious as to what HP thinks about this. I am also curious as to how Google will treat the translated article in regards to duplicate content. I am going to keep in touch reading this thread to see what happens.Thanks for bringing up the subject -- I think it is something we all need to know about since we are a world-wide site.

3. Jayne Lancer profile image90
      Jayne Lancerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if there is any way of Google or Hubpages or whoever detecting that an article is a translation. If not, anyone could just translate articles from around the Web and put them up as their own. Who would ever know?

Bard of Elyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you have just asked a very valid question there to which I have no answer.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
          The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would bet that HP thinks so.

2. HollieT profile image82
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

That's happened recently. Remember the site which literally cloned HP and translated our hubs into French?

From memory, if it was a translated version it was not considered duplicate content. However, many of us (myself included) filed a DMCA and the content was taken down by the site. Voluntary I think, pretty sure that they didn't actually have to but they'd also taken many images which belonged to the authors. Perhaps this was the motivator!

3. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 10 years ago

I'm sure such a case should be considered duplicate content.  After all, whoever translates it has not provided original content, just stolen it from somebody else, however you look at it.  I'm not sure whether HP technically counts it as plagiarism or can detect it, but I feel like it should.

It is not stolen in my case. A person who is friendly with the people talked about in my hub wants to help them so has politely asked me if they can do this.

4. Fryday profile image85
    Frydayposted 10 years ago

How ironic that you have this question. I would also like to know the answer.  I was just thinking how I would like my articles to be translated in other languages.  I think it would greatly increase my reach.  I wish I knew another language other than English.  I really want to learn Portguese!

1. Jayne Lancer profile image90

I wouldn't attempt to write for a website in a second language. I think only truly bi- or multi-lingual people manage that successfully. By 'truly', I mean where all languages are used with equal competence. I do envy anyone who can do it.

5. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 10 years ago

So no one really knows for sure on this which is a shame because I have to answer the person who is offering to do the translation. The hub in question I would really like to promote so this would be a great help but do not know if I give the go ahead will it then get picked up on by HP as duplicate content!

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The same question was asked 2 years ago and no reply from HP team.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/78146
      widerness posted in the the same forum category you did. Maybe if you make it an "Official" thread by posting in the New Suggestions for HubPages Mathew or another staff member may reply much quicker.

Thank you! I have posted this in the Suggestions forum as you have suggested.

6. DamienAlexander profile image56
    DamienAlexanderposted 10 years ago

Surely there is a contact address for HP you can email to ask... I'm kind of new here so idk but it would make no sense not to.

7. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

I don't know the answer, but that won't stop me from putting my three cents in. 
    First, I think it would be hard for the software to recognize it as duplicate, so you could get away with it.
    Second, I don't know why you think this would bring traffic to your hub.  If the hub is already translated to a language I can read (and presumably prefer), why would I want to click the link to read it again in another language.  Personally, I think it would detract from my hub, since people who do read English may find the other language first and there goes my traffic to my hub.
    Third, if I did allow a translation, how do I know it is properly translated?  Is someone simply going to put it on an online translator or do they have the proper skills, energy and willingness to go through the effort to make sure it is correct?  I would hate for something I said to get translated wrong and cause problems or make my article be of low quality.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What MT said.

I would suggest a short summary of the content in the other language, with a link back to the original article for people who are tempted to read more and able to do so in English.

This is a good idea but would mean that a Polish translated version would not be posted on Polish sites so those who cannot read English would miss out on it all.

I take it that your sole motive is to have the piece read and understood. A backlink is simply an added bonus.

Not my sole motive but I want to help the people I have written about spread the word. The person offering the translation is a friend/supporter of theirs.

Frankly, I think that is all it will do.

If I were you, I would drop the Hubpages team an email to let them know what you plan, since they haven't bothered answering your question here. Let us know what they have to say.

I am waiting to see if they answer in the Suggestions forum.

They've already answered. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/120558

Thank you! I have just seen it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
                Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jayne, the Community section of the forums isn't monitored by HubPages staff, so it's not a case of not "being bothered".

Well, thank goodness you're 'bothered' enough to tell me, Marisa.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)