Drastic decrease in traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Arnax profile image65
    Arnaxposted 9 years ago

Is there some problem? I find a drastic change in traffic today! I usually get around 300 views a day, its just 20 today. Anyone experiencing the same?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If your traffic came mostly from social networking (Pinterest, Facebook, etc.), it may just be that the traffic has died down.  Hang in there, and keep writing those quality hubs.

2. SpaceShanty profile image93
      SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am having the same issue, I think there was a Google algo update recently.  Traffic is 20% of what it was yesterday.

Last time one was released (May) my traffic dropped dramatically but then once it recovered it was up by about 60%, just hoping it will be the same this time round!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, there was a Google update on August 8.

1. SpaceShanty profile image93

Yes I am aware of the one on 8/8 but something else has happened in the past few days.

The May one seemed to take effect the same day.

3. Zakmoonbeam profile image92
      Zakmoonbeamposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mine seems pretty much constant, the usual 4-600 every day. That said, most of my traffic comes from Google, not social networks. Perhaps that's a difference?

2. OldRoses profile image94
    OldRosesposted 9 years ago

My traffic is up today, surprisingly.  Don't forget, it is August when a lot of people take vacations.  I have stuck to my schedule of publishing 2 hubs per week because traffic should pick up after Labor Day.

1. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 9 years agoin reply to this

True.  My traffic has been erratic this month.  Probably because people are on vacation and the sharing and viewing is sporadic.

3. Arnax profile image65
    Arnaxposted 9 years ago

no, I do not share hubs on social sites. All the hubs are down. The one which used to get me 200 views per day, it shows only 26

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to share it - someone else might have.  Go to the hub, and look at the stats on it. Once you click on stats, click on the different tabs. See where the traffic comes from for that hub.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Have you checked to see all your hubs are still featured?

5. NanahoChan profile image59
    NanahoChanposted 9 years ago

When I made my first hub last week, I got 80 views, then as I kept writing more hubs, my traffic has been going down... I guess that's the reason why.

It is possible that somebody copied one or more of your hubs and has stolen your traffic.

Type the title of each hub into the Google search bar to see if it matches with one from another source.  If so, you can file a DMCA complaint....IF...the source is in the US.

She has only been here 11 days, I would expect that to be part of the reason for erratic views!

1. NanahoChan profile image59
          NanahoChanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm hoping that is the case, but it just seemed odd that my first hub got so many views, and everything after it has been slowly decreasing!

Thanks for the suggestions anyway! I'll just have to be patient...

New Hubs will always get a few views after publishing.

You have to wait weeks, months and sometimes years to see any real traffic

1. Greekgeek profile image77
              Greekgeekposted 9 years agoin reply to this

For what it's worth, last year I created a little test account with eight hubs and an unknown username, did no social media promotion and zero promotion of any kind beyond commonsense SEO (the kind many people do without even realizing it). Result: an average of 200-300 visitors a week within a month.

So it can be done. But I have some years of trial and error behind me. Try not to be discouraged; most of us had to start from scratch and learn through successes and flops. wink

6. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

I'm not noticing it going down so much here, but my website was soaring and now it is way down.

7. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

I had quite a dip (1/3 traffic missing) yesterday, but all back to normal now I think.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I had a good writer who did well here, tell me several years ago that I needed at least 100 hubs, preferably 200, and it might take 2 years before I see income that amounts to anything.    Being here 11 days, that has a lot to do with it.

LindaSmith1

Some people feel like that, but those who have been around for awhile know that there are writers here with far less posts than even 100 that do very well.

Writer Fox is one that comes to mind...He had fewer than 65 views and in his first 6 months scored 800,000 views!

Another hubber had one hub that went viral a few months back and got more than 2 million views on that one hub.

So, it isn't always how many articles you have that makes the difference.

2. Suzanne Day profile image93
      Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I believe in the 100 benchmark for anyone who doesn't have viral magic. One of my very successful Etsy friends confirmed that once her shop had 100 pages of items (ie 1 item per page), it took off. 100 hubs is a benchmark for getting better traffic - as Google recognises 100 pages as a serious website as opposed to a fly-by-night website.

As more people write on the web, the benchmark will shift. One day in 10 years, it may go as high as 1,200 pages. Be glad it is only 100 today and get writing!

1. Alex Addams profile image91
        Alex Addamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure this is true. I really think it comes down to quality rather than quantity.

3. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You don't need that many hubs. With only 59 hubs I reach 3 figs payout monthly.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Me too - $1.23

9. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Time Traveler: My source has been here for 7 years. Sometime it is a stroke of luck. You just never know.  Isn't there a lull in traffic though a couple times a year, like before holidays begin.

There are always lulls but my traffic is down 80%, something is going on.....

I feel your pain, my traffic has been down a little over 50% since July 28. It makes me sad. sad  To illustrate my point, here's a graph of basically what has happened:

http://postimg.org/image/pmqrvcluh/

But I keep writing, editing, and improving my articles. I love what I do, just wish I got more rewards from Google.

Hang in there folks!

Jacob

10. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Mine has been all over the map this week - up one day, down the next, lather, rinse, repeat. I just shrug and move on.

11. Arnax profile image65
    Arnaxposted 9 years ago

but this is the first time I am experiencing such changes. From 250 to 42 a day? just within one day?

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if it is the niche I write in (gardening) or my hubbing schedule (I write on weekends only), but my traffic varies considerably depending on the day.  I always get good traffic after I publish hubs on Saturday and Sunday.  Then Monday and Tuesday traffic goes up even further, but starts to slide on Wednesday and tanks on Thursday and Friday.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

OldRoses, do you know where your traffic is coming from?   That pattern sounds like the traffic is coming from within HubPages:  you publish a Hub, your followers are notified, and over the first few days they come and visit your new Hub (and maybe browse a couple of your old ones).  That traffic tails off by Thursday and Friday.

1. OldRoses profile image94
          OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, I thought so too but I've been checking the stats on my older hubs which get their traffic from search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo Search and they demonstrate the same weekly pattern.  I think it may be due to the fact that I link similar hubs (vegetables, flowers, bulbs, etc) so the older hubs are showing up as "edited" when I add links from my new hubs.

12. incomeguru profile image96
    incomeguruposted 9 years ago

I'm looking forward to a day google will love to see my content again. So frustrating indeed!

13. Alex Addams profile image91
    Alex Addamsposted 9 years ago

I'm looking forward to the day that Google brings me 1 million visitors a day.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Aren't we all. It would take a lot of work to make that possible.

2. incomeguru profile image96
      incomeguruposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's a big thought lol. I claimed that too cool

14. doctorkhalid profile image78
    doctorkhalidposted 9 years ago

I'm facing the same problem of reduced traffic. I've just started with hub pages and interested to know how it proceeds with time.

Hubs need to age before they do well. It should get better with time. The old say goes though that 80% of traffic comes from 20% of your hubs. This is true to some extent. If you get in the right niche you can get good traffic on most of your hubs.

PS You need more than 3 hubs to see good traffic. Many more.

1. doctorkhalid profile image78
        doctorkhalidposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your information. In deed I would also like to know regarding the required parameters to attain successful approval for the Google Ad Sense program. Due to lack of awareness I did apply there with a single published article in hand. Therefore, I am keen to know how many articles need to be successfully featured to generate earnings from hub pages.

Different writers advise different numbers. 20 hubs would be good and some say to wait 3 months. Some countries have to wait 6 months. I can't give advice other than what I've heard myself. When I applied I already was approved for my website, so when I joined Hubpages I didn't need to apply. I hope someone jumps in here and answers you that has done this themselves.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

When I first started here, I was told to have at least ten quality hubs before applying.

I did that and got accepted immediately without any problems whatsoever.

15. CassandraCae profile image83
    CassandraCaeposted 9 years ago

I would love to see three figures monthly from my online work, i get three figures every once in a while and it usually starts with a 1.

Cassandra, you have the niche for it, but you're going to need more than 3 hubs. I think there's a lot you could do with this.

16. firstday profile image59
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

Three figures is possible however beware of Hub policies as that was brought to my attention when speaking of this.

Yes.  It is against the TOS to specifically talk about what we earn here, so be careful.

17. Alex Addams profile image91
    Alex Addamsposted 9 years ago

Traffic appears to be returning back to normal level! Haleloo!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)