Blogging

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)
  1. elisabeth reid profile image66
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

Okay...in case I haven't made myself perfectly clear in other forum posts, I'm a technical idjit.  I'm still struggling with SEO and RSS and I haven't a clue when it comes to referrals and...and...and...the list is endless.  I can build a hub because the capsules are pretty easy to work with but when it comes to promoting it, I'm hopeless.  I'm trying, but it's slow.  So...I've been thinking that it might not be a bad idea to start a blog somewhere.   God knows I've got enough to jabber about and it could actually be useful.

What's the best way to go about it?  Any suggestions with regard to hosting?  Ideas?  Things that have worked for you (and aren't too complicated...it's the idjit thing, remember?)?

I've looked at Blogger.com and, while it wasn't too complicated, the ads didn't make sense and there were a few other things (like...what's an atom feed?  Is that something like an RSS?) and when I looked at other blogs, most of them weren't in English.

1. Princessa profile image81
      Princessaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I am relieve to see that I am not the only one NOT technically minded in here, lost everytime the 3 letters come and you suppose to know what they mean!

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

The easiest way as far as I am concerned is to start with a free wordpress blog:

http://wordpress.com/

It has some limitations, but is an excellent way to start. Then, once you are comfortable - you can move it and host it yourself to have limitless possibilities.

Wordpress, much like hubpages is very SEO, CSS friendly and the only thing you really have to worry about is URL titles, content and tags.

Easy big_smile

3. elisabeth reid profile image66
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

Thanks, Mark.

In case I haven't mentioned it (and I probably haven't), your advice is always helpful, whether it's a question I've asked or information I've gotten from someone else's question.

Much appreciated.

4. charlemont profile image75
    charlemontposted 16 years ago

A blog at Wordpress is a good start.
    Once you have around 15-20 posts there, you can further go on with promotion using article directories. Recently I compiled a list of 25 directories which I'm using for submissions, it is a good reference for me. I don't really care about hundreds of directories I'm not aware of.
    Another way of promotion is social bookmarking sites like del.icio.us and stumbleupon.com. You can use socialmarker.com for that purpose. It takes some time to create accounts on each service, but it's worth that. Than simply submit your blog posts there.
    Also, do not forget about blog listings such as technorati.
    And it's all free wink

5. Hope Alexander profile image68
    Hope Alexanderposted 16 years ago

Personally I would go with a blogger blog, only because blogger enables you to add adsense to your blog, whereas a free wordpress blog won't. (Unless they changed something dramatically since I was last there.) Also, the free wordpress blogs have a great deal of restrictions on what you can and cannot customize without paying for the service, whereas blogger will let you do whatever you want with your blog for free.

Wordpress is a great platform, but I think it is best when used with your own hosting, which might be something you get into later. When you have your own hosting you can customize it as you wish and make it look really slick. (I have several wordpress blogs on my own hosting platform, and they are great.)

I created a fairly successful free wordpress blog, but annoyingly, could not monetize it, or really play with the appearance all that much. For income and the ability to have your blog grow with you, I would go with blogger. It's also been my experience that blogger blogs monetize faster than other blogs.

6. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Thanks elisabeth smile

Hope - The good thing about the free wordpress blogs is it allows you to learn the basics and then you can move it later and host it yourself. I have a blogger blog and quite a few wordpress blogs, but for some reason I get better traffic to the wordpress blogs.

I also get good referral traffic from wordpress itself.

But you are right about the monetization - if that's your immediate goal, blogger is easier to add adsense to. It is possible to add affiliate banner ads to wordpress blogs though:

http://marcus1234.wordpress.com/2007/11 … w-tequila/

7. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I started out with Wordpress and changed to Blogger for the reasons Hope mentions.

It took me a couple of months to realise that there's not much benefit in being able to monetize your blog, if you're not getting any visitors.

If I was going to get into blogging again, I think I would go with Wordpress, wait till I'd built up a bit of a readership, then arrange hosting so I could upgrade to the monetized version.

8. larrybass profile image60
    larrybassposted 16 years ago

I'm still sort of a babe in the woods over there yet but I would Highly recommend Blogger as another poster has abovel. Like you said, it's pretty easy and it works really, really well for me. Oh ya, of course it's not built for commercial purposes so I've tweaked it without a lot of the marketing pitches for all kinds of stuff showing up. I just love sharing similar stuff with others out there who care to share too...

Oh ya, and another thing. If it ain't FRE$ then I don't need it or want it. Some of us Canadians are a little tight with our coinage. Now the governmutts are trying to Kill and Banish forever, the Historical Canadian one cent piece, that just celebrated it's Centennial year. One politician/dork, was very scornful and disrespectful and hateful enough (IMHO) to say "It's had it's Birthday last month, let's have it's Nuneral next month, ya, ya!" or something along those lines! ;-)  Rich guy talk or WHAT? Bet that dufuss hasn't picked up many lucky pennies off the sidewalk, in his whole life. Anyone wanna bet with this grizzled ol' bushguy? :-)  Just Kidding...

Try this link to check out one of my new Blogger creations, if you'd like to get a feel for the place even more...

http://larrybass.blogspot.com/LarryBass

Later,

LarryB

Oh ya, here's the link to one of my blogs there. Let me know if you can dig any part of it or am I wasting my time tryin' to help unit all people, in the big picture?

Or, and you could even check out this URL  http://larrybsblog.blogspot.com/  to-day. for another example. Don't be shy to let me know if you dig it to some degree or not, if you have a little virtual time to share with this ol' woodsman.

Later,

LarryB

P.S. For any readers of this post, I hope y'all have linked your blog to Google, the King searcher, as well! Google LOVES Blogger. I rank pretty high over there already.

Chow!

9. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 16 years ago

Well, since Google owns Blogger I guess they do love it smile

Mark: I have added other affiliate ads to my blogs at blogger in addition to AdSense. I couldn't find anything that told me I couldn't do that.

10. chantelg4 profile image70
    chantelg4posted 16 years ago

Just start you own, it's not that complicated. Get your own domain and install wordpress. There are lots of tutorials out there to help get started. I had no clue in the beginning and now I am uploading plugins and all kinds of nifty add ons.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)