Dramatic Loss of Hub Traffic Today

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (115 posts)
  1. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 9 years ago

I've noticed that there is at least one post claiming to have gained a significant amount of traffic this week, but for me, my traffic has dropped by 50%. One hub, which at its  height was getting over 4k hits a day, is now down to 500 hits daily, and every other hub on my account has dropped by about 50% across the entire account.

This is for my Pregnancy Now account.

Does anybody have any idea why this might happen? Has my subdomain been dinged for some reason?

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed that going down from #2 to #3 on a Google page can cut my traffic in half. I had one hub that did that and that is what happened. Maybe that is what happened to you.

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering the same thing. I was getting great traffic, better than ever, and yesterday and today it's dropped dramatically. This has also happened on my own websites. I'm really thinking it's an Internet thing. Like people aren't on the Net right now. Is anything going on that would cause that this time of year?

3. runningexpert profile image61
      runningexpertposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can't speak for Hubpages traffic with my one hub, but I experience also a dramatic drop in traffic starting yesterday. Today I have/had 25% less vistitors on my articles. It must be an internet or Google thing. It's very weird.

2. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 9 years ago

I was on approx 4,000 views a day for months, then woomp straight down the pan about a month ago, now down to approx 700 a day across the board, its happened to a lot of people, don't know why, but I wish it would come back its driving me nuts!

3. Jayne Lancer profile image90
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

Mine is also drastically down today. My Google rankings are also falling. Something is wrong.

Everyday Miraclesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's obvious, then, that this isn't a Hubpages glitch, but that something is going on with Google. Maybe it will fix itself, but I hate to sit around waiting for an improvement. I've been doing that for a few weeks since my traffic dropped after I deleted the comments from my pregnancy symptoms hub.

4. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 9 years ago

I can't find the previously top hub at all in Google, no matter where I look. It would appear that I've been dropped from Google on that one hub, at least. I've not done enough research on the other hubs to know which keywords were feeding those hubs, so I can't track them down and find out if they've been dropped as well.

The question is, do I edit the original hub or create an entirely new one? Assuming Google will re-crawl my hub, it seems that editing is probably the right way to go.

As of right now, it looks as though this is affecting the entire subdomain, which is concerning :-/

1. Barbara Kay profile image73

I guess my answer above isn't it then.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

My traffic is also significantly less this year than it was at this time last year. I was thinking of starting a thread about it, but this one will do. I'm definitely starting to become disconcerted.

Mine's up for the year, but it's down dramatically from two months ago. When I posted about under age teenagers asking about how to become pregnant, traffic dropped considerably right after that, then has slowly (but steadily!) been climbing back up to its normal levels. Now the traffic is simply gone, and I can't find the hubs at all in Google.

Obviously this has something to do with the way that Google is featuring the hubs, but the question is: Why? Have I not updated the account in too long? It's been about three weeks, so if that's it, I can understand that and get on doing some updates to get traffic coming back up. However, even updating another account recently didn't bring the traffic up, even on timely topics that should have sprung into action immediately.

I'm confused and angry. It shouldn't be this difficult to stay in the SERPs if the information we're providing is rich and informative.

Now I'm torn between moving on to writing the Sims 4 Guides that I had intended to do or whether I should keep working on that account. This is frustrating!

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry your account has lost favor, mine has also gone through periods of being invisible, and then gone back to normal after a while without me doing anything.  It's possible it's just one of those temporary shuffles.

What kinds of pages are coming up instead?  Are they health sites, pregnancy sites, or forums for new and expectant mothers?  It's hard to outrank WebMD and Mayo Clinic, but if you're being usurped by forums and the like you should check out what the pages might be doing differently or better and try to improve on your hubs based on that.  Maybe add a section of FAQ to address things you see on forums.  Wish I could help more.

Believe it or not, for a while I was actually outranking Mayo Clinic and Web MD. For a brief period, I was #1 for Early Pregnancy Symptoms. Now I can't find the hub anywhere on the page.

I edited it recently due to criticism that the hub itself had received. Traffic dropped, so I completely revamped the hub and republished it. Right now it's unpublished so that I can repair it and republish it fresh in the next few days. It's not the best way to go about things, but since the hub updates as I edit it (live, published), I felt I didn't have much choice.

Right now I'm outranked by the obvious -- Mayo Clinic, WebMD, and BabyCenter, along with American Pregnancy Center. Interestingly, I've linked to articles on all of these sites as references in the articles that are losing traffic to them, so that might have been my mistake. It serves me right for listening to what other people think I should do with high-traffic hubs!

Health topics are never going to hold consistent, and I know that, but it is exhausting to be constantly babying these hubs. Oh, well. That's the nature of the beast.

6. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

We are all on different parts of the Google roller coaster, it's as simple as that...

What goes up, has to come down and visa versa..

The bigger changes tend to happen in the last third of any month in my experience. My views have had a significant increase which is nice, but then if I go back in history they are just returning to where they have been in the past. Back a couple of years in this case!

I am certainly not going to be having any wild celebrations as I am sure that if I give it a month or two it will change yet again..

My advice is hang tight...

BUT - If you compare your hub to what is in the search results now and they are better then you know that you have to improve..

I believe that my hubs are more detailed than the articles that are out-ranking me, and that they are more visually appealing to the reader. In addition, I strive to provide thorough information about why the body does certain things at certain times, while most of the pages outranking me force the reader to do additional research.

The difference is my tone, which for some reason I've been incapable of adjusting to make it sound more affable.

You're right about these things happening in the last third of the year. Here are some threads: 

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/82452#post1771230

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115218

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/99009

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/96562

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115185

What people seemed to experience each time was a dramatic loss in traffic and, with some, a recovery.

This is a first for me. I was accustomed to steady low traffic for quite awhile, then traffic increased quite a bit; and now this decrease. I see that it's something that just happens and you see more of it the longer you do this thing.

7. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 9 years ago

Ugh, yes. Hubs that were once First Pagers on Google are no longer there. But the thing is, we have to keep updating and improving our old Hubs and continually writing new ones to keep up.

8. sara0129 profile image66
    sara0129posted 9 years ago

I noticed that too. Hoping the traffic will come back.

9. paradigmsearch profile image60

Ya know... I looked at GA. again. I have just realized that my overall traffic is essentially no better now than it was during the middle of summer.

10. profile image0
    promisemposted 9 years ago

I've also had a stunning plunge in traffic in the last two days after months of a predictable pattern.

What's odd is that the rankings of my articles on Google have barely changed at all.

Do any of you link your Hubs to external sites that you own?

One or two might, but most of them link to reputable sources of information on the topics that I write about, or to other hubs of mine, so this probably isn't what the issue is. I've checked the inbound links and the hubs hardest hit don't have any that I need to worry about as far as I know, so I'm baffled.

11. Jayne Lancer profile image90

My traffic has halved since Tuesday night.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

To all of you who are suffering right now:  Welcome to my club.  It has been almost exactly one month since I lost 90% of my traffic over night across the board.  It has come back to about a 75% loss, but remains flat.

I have done a tremendous amount of research trying to figure out what happened because, at the time, I was one of the few people complaining about this.  Here is what I have learned so far:

Google changed the way it is now ranking sites.  It updates once each month for each domain or subdomain, but even if you try to update, you may not see results for some time.  The updates roll over a 10 day period, so not everybody who is going to take a hit gets one at the same time as everybody else.  So, it is possible that you guys have upset Google with something you have or have not done, and it could be just about anything...which is pretty scary!

One thing you need to do is go to WMT and check yoru links.  This is a very difficult, tedious and time consuming thing to do, but when I finished I discovered that three highly malicious sites had linked to some of my articles in the weeks preceeding my big drop.  I contacted Google using their Disavow Tool to have them block those links, but this is very tricky to do.  The reason I did this was that I found out that Google really is going after malicious links and spam, and so this may be part of what happened to me.  It is, however, too soon to tell.

I know exactly how you feel.  My views fell from 28,000 a month down to about 7,000, and I still do not know why this happened.   However, I have been going through my hubs one by one and fixing whatever I think may be the problem:  bolded print, oversized pix at the beginning of a hub, too many repeat keywords, too many ads, titles...you name it.  It will be months before I upgrade everything, and in the meantime, my income is mostly gone.

I do not know if I or any of us can overcome this issue, but all we can do is try.  I know one thing:  I am one tired cowgirl right now!

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your lower traffic is fairly close to mine.  Well done for trying to 'fix' everything - not that anyone knows exactly what was 'wrong'.

One thing people have tried in the past is to set up a separate account and create content under that new one.  It is a pain and it does split the income and you must not palgiarise one account to build the other... but it is one thing that might allow you to start again.

Hey, let's hope you don't need to and Google 'fixes' whatever.

With me they just tighten and loosen the noose - but it always gets a bit tighter.  I cannot see any way I could be more squeaky clean.

2. Everyday Miracles profile image85

I'm obviously out of the loop here, but what's WMT and GA?

Google Webmaster Tools and Google Analyltics

3. profile image0
        promisemposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would like to think this is the result of spam links, but I checked my backlinks and found only one or two that are suspect, and only one links to my most important page. I'll see if removing them helps, but I'm not filled with hope.

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

Twice in a row, when landing on this thread just now, my browser has automatically been sent to some other website.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Update. Found the problem. My fault. Don't ever download tuneuppro. Not malware, but still a very tacky thing for them to do.

13. Jayne Lancer profile image90

I just checked my Google rankings again, and notice that my hubs haven't fallen that much. Those that were on page one still are, even though some are no longer at the number one spot. I don't think the slight changes I'm seeing justify my traffic being cut in half.

I'm getting my numbers from GA. Is it possible that something is broken there? Our HP stats haven't updated for the past 24 hours, although earnings have--and mine have halved overnight, which could confirm my greatest fears.

I noticed a thread by Paul Edmondson today about inserting too many/non-contextual Amazon and eBay ads. It seems a bit out of the blue--have we indeed been slapped?

There is indeed a 20% traffic drop re: this Wednesday versus last Wednesday. I have told HP twice regarding that 4-month-Amazon-spam amnesty being a really bad idea... https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com?country=US

1. Jayne Lancer profile image90
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I hope HubPages does something to rectify this.

Wouldn't you have thought HubPages would have researched the transfer process thoroughly in order that this sort of thing couldn't happen?

14. Jayne Lancer profile image90

A hub I published last night is now in position 14 on google.com--I'm using Google encrypted to make sure I see accurate results.

Jayne:  How do you do that?  I have been dying to find a way to get real results from Google but have never heard of using  Google encrypted.  Please let me know about this asap.  Thanks.

Thanks.  Now at least I can see where things are instead of guessing.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Don't bank on it, TT2.   I can't find any articles which say encrypted.google gives you a true picture.  I'll be interested to see whether Jayne has more info on that.

The only info I could find is that encrypted.google is a way for Google to hide search information from businesses, so they can sell it to them instead - which means Google is still tracking everything themselves!

2. angryelf profile image90
            angryelfposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I get much different results when I use Google Chrome under an incognito window. I also use my smartphone to get reliable rankings.

1. angryelf profile image90
              angryelfposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, and GA gives you rankings too, but there's a 48 hr delay. Go to acquisition > SEO > queries and you'll see how you were ranking for different search terms. In a few days, compare different time periods. Many of you probably already know about this, but this is the most reliable way to see where your page ranked when. Rankings bounce constantly, but this gives you a great average. This should be helpful to those who are kind of new to the game.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

I looked at encrypted Google but I don't think it's really doing what you think.   Encrypted Google means that the websites you visit don't know how you got there: but Google is still keeping track of which websites you visit, so they can still tailor search results to you. 

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/2013 … ans/71443/

I think it works if you're logged out of Google, which I am when I do my searches.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Logging out of Google works the same way whether you're using encrypted or non-encrypted.

The problem is that your history is still in your browser and accessible to Google, and Google also uses your IP address.

I actually got that from somebody here on HP, but I can't remember who or when.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image90

I think this is where I got it from, and I do have that add-on installed on FF, which is the browser I use when not logged into Google. I otherwise use Chrome. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/114639#post2437458

Using that, I don't think it makes any difference whether I'm logged in or not, but FF just happens to be the browser I've always used when not logged in.

Anyway, glad you asked, because the link I gave probably doesn't do anybody any good without the add-on, which I'd forgotten to mention.

Jane, I read that forum post and followed the directions, but when I click on the butterfly, I get a message telling me to navigate to a search page to be able to use it...but I am already on a search result...what am I doing wrong?

I'm wondering if I installed the addon with encrypted in mind at all. I'd always assumed I was getting the correct .com result with the encrypted address, which is all that really interested me. Maybe they've changed the addon, or maybe I was using it wrong, but taking a closer look, the button works if you use a non-encrypted Google address.

It's likely that I got my information here, since I did take part in the thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/120604? … ost2556232 That could mean the addon and encypted have nothing to do with one another--I'd probably installed the addon earlier for a different purpose.

15. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

Latest Quantcast...
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11832147.jpg

This is pretty scary.

One day doth not make a bummer.

1. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
          Kierstin Gunsbergposted 9 years agoin reply to this

^^ Right on!

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The overall trend for HubPages is up. The total for the last few days is still above two weeks ago and longer. I'm not saying the site hasn't been hit, but we need to see a few weeks to spot any kind of downward trend.

16. profile image0

I just discovered something unusual. My HubPages audience report is stuck at 26 hours ago. It always updates much more quickly than that.

This comes on the heels of a major delay in revenue processing. I don't know about you, but I had about six days that were stuck at pending.

That makes me wonder if the problem is HubPages itself.

1. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
      Kierstin Gunsbergposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It IS HubPages. This is the note on my account (I'm assuming all of us have this note):

Possible Hub Stats Delays (9/25/14)
      We are preparing to change our primary data center, and as part of that work we've temporarily stopped processing the Hub traffic stats. Things should be back to normal with the stats in a day or two. Rest assured that data is still being collected.

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
        SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes HP stats are delayed but Google Analytics report similiar trends.

I suspect this is just a Google Update/refresh, the last time it happend my views dropped dramatically but then returned better than before.

It could have something to do with the Squidoo merger too.

1. NateB11 profile image88

Yes, I checked Analytics too, definitely showed me with a heavy loss in traffic. I'm hoping it's related to the Google update like you said and plays out like it did for you last time.

2. ologsinquito profile image82
          ologsinquitoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for pointing this out Space Shanty. Views on my main blog fell off of a cliff today. I'm hoping things are better tomorrow.

17. Torrs13 profile image88
    Torrs13posted 9 years ago

I've also experienced a drastic decrease in traffic today and yesterday. I'm not sure what is going on but this is so strange!

18. Healthyannie profile image87
    Healthyannieposted 9 years ago

I have also experienced a dramatic fall in views over the last 3 days. Does it have something to do with the new stuff from Squidoo?

19. profile image0

Notice that nearly everyone posting on here has scores in the 90s. So it's not like we're a bunch of spammers getting hit. I think it's safe to say that, as a group, we publish quality hubs.

20. Jayne Lancer profile image90

Not yet sure what to make of this: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/125240

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
      SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Kind of sounds bad. Hope the migration isn't affecting established accounts here. It's my fear because I've had heavy loss of traffic and lost positions in the SERPs.

3. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, Jayne I saw that, too. Not sure what to say except I feel bad for those who worked so hard and are suffering. Nate, he did say that "established accounts" are doing okay, but as you and others have said, not so true. I pray that this works out sooner than later for all involved. Did you see the explanation about frozen stats? Another major change is taking place that will hopefully be completed soon. Whew! Hard times indeed.

This established account is certainly not doing well. What I don't understand is that my Google rankings have barely changed, yet my traffic is way down. As for HubPages suddenly changing its primary data center ...

Jayne:  I saw the same trend when this happened to me.  First everything completely disappeared from view, and then a short time later, everything came back with views mostly gone, yet I still saw my articles on page 1.  However, I was not using encrypted Google...however, right now my best article is first on page 2, but the views still suck!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

janshares:  Yes, I'm not buying that established accounts are not being bothered too much...I lost 90% of my views exactly one month ago tomorrow and they have not returned.  This is a bit too coincidental for my taste and aside from that, Google does not like massive changes all at once, and boy are we getting them now!  We better hang onto our hats.

1. janshares profile image93

Yes, TIME, put on our seat belts for a bumpy ride.

Oooooooweeee! The ride is now officially bumpy, traffic disappearing. sad Hohum.

It's a little comforting to know we're all in the same boat. Many of us, at least.

My traffic is down to a third of what it was two days ago.

Ditto, Jayne, roughly one third for my best performing hubs.

I suspect that whatever happens in the next 7 days will pretty much tell us our future for the next 3 months. neutral

Wise observation. Hang on and don't let go.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73

The trouble is, in the next 3 months is the Christmas season. I don't know about everyone else, but that is when I make a good part of my earnings for the year.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73

Mine just started travelling downward too.

2. incomeguru profile image95
              incomeguruposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Let me join your ride. While we wait for hubpages to do the cleanup. cool

All aboard and sit tight. It doesn't look pretty, incomeguru. But we wil survive. smile

1. incomeguru profile image95
                  incomeguruposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Amen! cool

4. misterhollywood profile image91
      misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

Google has been doing a LOT of delisting spammy sites and moving people up and down the SERPS. http://searchengineland.com/panda-update-rolling-204313

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think that my hubs are, in general, spammy. They are informative and cross-link to one another and reference sites (those from which I obtained information), do not contain an excess of links, and most don't feature many, if any, products. All products on the hubs are highly relevant to the topic of the hub (i.e. pregnancy tests on a hub about pregnancy symptoms).

The last Panda Update benefitted me. If that's the reason that I'm seeing a loss in traffic, I feel like there's no way to please Google.

Others have said during these updates they see a drop in traffic at first but then afterward they recovered traffic and sometimes the traffic even improved.

The last one benefited me, too. I'm curious to know what I'm suddenly doing 'wrong'. My hubs certainly aren't 'spammy'.

That explains it. Thanks for posting that.

3. Healthyannie profile image87
        Healthyannieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anybody in this forum have spammy hubs, everybody seem to have really high scores.
        Looking around Hubpages I have noticed contributors with spammy hubs all have much lower scores.

5. misterhollywood profile image91
      misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

Sometimes the hubs will move around a bit before the dust settles. What's down today can come up and so forth

This makes a lot of sense to me. A shuffling around in the SERPs could cause a temporary loss of traffic.

That all depends on what you deem "temporary".  Something hit me exactly one month ago and right now there seems to be nothing temporary about it.  I have made many changes and waited for this next update to see if they mattered, but now the site is down for revamping so I cannot know.  What I do know is that nothing happened to me the past several days...my sucky numbers still have not moved!

Correction: Temporary for some, not temporary for others.

6. profile image49
      Sarah Josephine Hposted 9 years ago

Maybe you should try another technique.  Never hurts

7. maalarue profile image72
      maalarueposted 9 years ago

My traffic has also dropped to about one third of what it was two days ago. Very unsettling to say the least. It sucks when you have too big changes going on at once. One being our merger and two being Google and it's Panda update. So it's hard to tell which is causing our problem; or maybe it's both?

I just hope that we survive this mess and return to normal soon. I would definitely NOT suggest making any changes to your Hubs during this time.

Panda runs regularly.  HubPages had not been hit for several months, maybe more.  Check Quantcast.

I predicted this despite not being one of the in-crowd, the clique, the gang, the SEO 'experts', the marketers, the people who wrote a hub about it...

Yawn.

Obvious.

1. maalarue profile image72
          maalarueposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So are you saying the issue is with HubPages?

It looks like Google Panda has assessed HubPages and did not like it.

But if you expect any real information on this forum I think you will be disappointed when the gurus wake up.

The update hit at the same time that the import of the lenses from Squidoo. Google Panda had already hit Squidoo for spammy content, and now that content is on Hubpages. This seems to be a logical consequence of the import of that content. In addition, several of us have two similar subdomains now, which may complicate things (correct me if I'm wrong). Heavens, I have similar content on two similar subdomains now!

IMO, this was to be expected. The question is whether or not Hubpages will recover as the spammy content is removed, either by its creators (who never wanted to be on Hubpages in the first place) or by Hubpages itself as those hubs get reported for being overly promotional.

Having been a Squidoo lensmaster, my problem isn't with Squidoo itself (at least not until it started unpublishing my best lenses), but it's with the sheer amount of spam content (which on Squidoo managed to succeed) that has now been brought to Hubpages for us to dig through and report.

Recovery should be possible: It usually is. It's just going to take a lot more work from the community than the community may want to give.

1. Solaras profile image95
                Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Forgive me if I am overly optimistic or just plain wrong, but I think we should make an effort to regularly work in the HubHopper.  I have been there several times this week, and find that 1 in 3 hubs I hop is copied content.  So I report it, and move on.

That's a lot of bad content, if in fact 1/3 of the site is spun or copied content.  You can recognize it pretty quickly.  It has no formatting as in: it is one capsule, with no headings or images.  No effort was taken to produce it other than copy paste and change around a few words here and there. 

One paragraph I Googled appeared in over 40 articles, page after page of it.  We need to get that off of this site.

I generally hop several times a week for about an hour every time and have reported a lot of content to Hubpages over the last few months. I've done less the past few weeks, but I'll get on that later today.

I've not seen a lot of spun content, but spammy content and low-quality content comes up for me about 2/3 hubs that I hit. Believe it or not, as many as 3/5 are less than 400 words long.

I just learned that there was a Penguin update on August 25, the exact date of the day before my numbers fell to the floor.  I think I got caught up in it because there were several highly malicious sites that had linked to my work without my knowledge.

I have now gotten Google to block them, but it could be as long as 10 months before my subdomain will recover because Penguin takes about that long to refresh, unlike Panda.

If this is the case, I'm in real trouble here.  My hubber score has been in the mid to high 90's forever, and now this?  Man,what a mess.

1. Torrs13 profile image88
                      Torrs13posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry to hear this sad I will never understand why people think it's okay to steal content and spam up the internet. It really creates a tough job for those of us who write genuine and legit material.

2. Everyday Miracles profile image85

What are you using to check your backlinks? The tools I'm using are showing no backlinks when I'm 90% sure that there are sites linking to me. I'd like to be able to deal with this if at all possible.

2. Solaras profile image95
                    Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good for you!  I feel like this is a community service we all need to be doing to police the site.   We can't just complain about the spam - we need to ferret it out and report it. If everyone spent half the time they do reading and commenting in the forums, we might get rid of 20-30% of the spam in one month.

I haven't seen such a thing here for years, especially not one whose information I can trust.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Yes, Panda runs regularly.   But usually it's the same Panda, with a few minor tweaks.  This most recent Panda is a new update, with substantial changes to it.   So big, in fact, that Google actually felt the need to formally announce it - which they don't usually do.   That means the results will change:  sites that passed the old Panda may not pass the new one, and vice versa.  So you may be right, but IMO the jury is still out.

1. misterhollywood profile image91
            misterhollywoodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes this is a big, fat bloated and angry Panda with gas:) I'm tired of smelling him smile

8. Suzanne Day profile image94
      Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Hi everyone, was just having a read of an interesting article this morning. It's just one of many viewpoints on the subject, but I have to agree with the article from my own HP experience:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenkrogue/2 … l-content/

Just something to keep in mind after all this other stuff is finished.

1. profile image0
        robertzimmerman2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That was a great read, especially part 2. Thanks!

2. misterhollywood profile image91
        misterhollywoodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great read. I've been blogging on my site (non HP) with lots of content just for the reasons stated in that article. Thanks for the share!

9. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90
      Greensleeves Hubsposted 9 years ago

After a big and very long term fall in traffic last year from about 700 visits a day average to about 450 visits a day, my traffic over several months has been slowly crawling back up to the 700 mark. It usually drops at the weekends to about 400-500, but today it dropped to 332. Hope it's just a temporary drop, and the general trend will still be one of increased traffic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)