Wow! 4

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (69 posts)
  1. Pawpawwrites profile image61
    Pawpawwritesposted 9 years ago

I was here whining a while back, about no traffic. Just thought I would update.

When I checked this morning, for 36 featured hubs, I had a total of 4 views for the day.

On the bright side, I've been able to get a lot of work done on long neglected projects.

1. Don Bobbitt profile image84
      Don Bobbittposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think you have the right perspective on this newest Google change.
      I just ride them out myself until the Great Google settles down with their standards changes.
      If they want me to add a picture of a Monkey eating a Banana in my articles, then eventually I add the required picture.
      What else can we writers do?
      We work for them and once we accept this the lower our blood pressure will be.
      Now?
      I am just waiting for all of the "hub-bub" to calm down and for someone to give us a definitive explanation of what we writers must do.
      DON

2. Shorebirdie profile image75
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

Wow!  I have 46 and I usually get 25-40 views a day.  That's not a lot, either, but it's something.  My traffic has gone up.

3. Buildreps profile image83
    Buildrepsposted 9 years ago

Used to have between 300 to 500 readers a day. This gradually dropped the last weeks to around 30 to 40. I'm wondering - how long can Hubpages continue to have this low traffic? I mean, just after upscaling the business with the integration of Squidoo, I would say that income for Hubpages must have dropped dramatically, while it must be going up.

I advice to save your articles in case the ship's sinking.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I doubt it, it is just waiting for Google to get everything together. HP is growing.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Interesting extrapolation you got going there, Buildreps. It is not all of HP going through this traffic, it is you. I think that it is those that are affected by the traffic drops that are coming on to the forums and bemoaning traffic losses.
      I have not heard one HP staff member saying "Woe is me, the ship is sinking".

1. Buildreps profile image83
        Buildrepsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hm, strange reaction - it's like you feel offended DrMark. Google rankings are hardly changed, but the traffic is.
        Be my guest and come up with an explanation, instead of polarising the discussion here on micro scale, why so many Hubbers are affected. I've given my view on this situation and I was always right before. I don't see why I would be wrong now. At least not yet, maybe you can help me here.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95

Am I offended? Not at all, but you do seem to be suffering from a "chicken little" mentality and think that the sky is falling because a rock happened to hit you on the head.
          You have ALWAYS been right before? I wish I, or any of us for that matter, could say the same. I have no advice to help you in these times, nor am I polarising the discussion by pointing out that you are making an assumption based on your traffic scores alone.

Why are you trying to parry me otherwise, without adding any value on this thread here? Trying to belittle me tells me all about your factual arguing qualities, DrMark.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
            Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My traffic has been increased consistently for the past six weeks, with only a slightly larger Saturday dip than usual on 10/18, back up on Sunday. I hope some others can say similar.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95

Thanks Patty. I know there are people out there doing okay. One hubber just broke 1,000,000 page views this month, another mentioned that he made over 20,000 views this month for the first time ever.

4. goatfury profile image90
    goatfuryposted 9 years ago

I just started a Google Doc for tracking my daily views here (and over on Infobarrel).  Do you guys do something similar?

1. Samantha Sinclair profile image54
      Samantha Sinclairposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I use Google Analytics to track my page views. It does all the work for you, and you can compare values from day to day, week to week, month to month, whatever you'd like. You can see your traffic, who is visiting and which content is getting hits.

1. goatfury profile image90
        goatfuryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  Is there an easy way to install this here?  Sorry if this is already obvious or whatever.  I didn't get the memo.

1. Samantha Sinclair profile image54
          Samantha Sinclairposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's okay! We were all new once with the same questions! Here is a link with the answer:
          http://valsjewels.hubpages.com/question … swer334327

2. Writer Fox profile image32
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Here's how to install Analytics for your subdomain:
          http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/sett … -analytics

Thanks.  I already have a Google Analytics account for some real websites I have.  I just need to add a profile for Hubpages.  Any thoughts on how to do this?  I feel like one of the apes in the beginning of "2001:  A Space Odyssey" (before the monolith arrives).

1. Writer Fox profile image32

Watch this video until about three minutes in where he shows you how to get the Analytics code.  When you get that, put it in HP under the settings for Analytics.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjnX-k3dDfk

5. Samantha Sinclair profile image54
    Samantha Sinclairposted 9 years ago

My page views are up. But, I've noticed my traffic from Google is much less than it used to be. Google accounts for about 44 percent of my traffic ever, but as of this month, it has accounted for only 10.13 percent. Pinterest is my top provider of traffic this month, giving me 39.66 percent. I also get views from Yahoo, Bing, Facebook and my About.me page. (Top six sources besides direct traffic)

Google isn't the only thing out there, and we shouldn't depend on it.

1. Pollyanna Jones profile image95
      Pollyanna Jonesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is great advice. I was solely relying on Google and Facebook, but have now started posting my article illustrations and photos in Pinterest too. I'll be making more use of my blog to announce Hubs and see if that makes any difference.

I'm new to HubPages; I only joined in August, so I can't really compare anything at the moment. I'm getting between 100-200 views a day though, which is nice. My aim is to get this up to 400-500 a day, so I guess I had better keep writing!

6. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Dr. Mark: I can't hold myself back.  Seth Godin, nor did any staff members say, " The ship is sinking, man the lifeboats, grab your lenses and run" either.  But, writers there were complaining of traffic dropping on a daily basis, as did income and sales.  Makes you wonder what is going on!

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linda, I did some hub searches this morning to find some hubs to refer. I found pages that were pure junk. Lots that just had a couple of paragraphs and then about 25 Amazon ads. Once they get these off, it should help everyone on Hubpages. I didn't report them, because I figured they have 4 months to take care of them. I think we should see an improvement then. I'm not blaming everyone from Squidoo, except the people that did this. There are many good Squidoo writers that came over here that have excellent work.

Seems you've might have part of the explanation for this traffic drop, Barbara. Could be one of the reasons. What's still strange that the Google ranks didn't change. So, traffic drop seems not to be related to the Panda update. There's something else going on.
        Hope you can follow what I mean.

Thanks for your comment, Linda smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image80
          Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This conversation seems a little deja vu - considering I was saying this as soon as it was announced.

In a way it is immaterial now.

Whatever the reason...

Panda cannot be changed.
          Penguin cannot be changed.
          And HubPages was going nowhere BEFORE the Squidoo take-on.

I do wonder if I am the only person in the world with half a brain sometimes.

It's a deja-vu Mark. But since I'm still without a proper explanation I'm whining here again. Can you send DrMark a nice picture? Thanks smile

Yeah sorry to go on.  Traffic irritations.

I think we can conclude no one knows the answer BUT I don't think a bit of hub-tweaking and social sharing will make much difference to the stated aim of Matt Cutts.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73

I'm still earning money here and already have 3 websites. One is doing well, the second one is just ok and the 3rd one does nothing. My hubs don't fit in well with the other sites, so for now I'm not jumping ship here. So, I'll just hang in here and earn the money that comes in even though it is half of what I earned last year.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95

Good point! I hope if the ship is sinking over here some of the HP staff will let us know. But....

7. LindaSmith1 profile image59

Barbara: Ditto on that. The sad part is that new hubbers, if they go through hubs and see it, the behavior will be repeated through others. Writers who know what sales pages are, and start seeing this, they will do the same.  I was on a site where I did not do well because I had no idea as to how to do sales pages. One of the writers, on Squidoo and that site referred me to Squidoo to learn how to do sales pages.  Even though my products are below HP rules, I am considering thinning some out of my hubs.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image80
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I don't have a Penguin pic - will this do?  I cleaned up the verbals...

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11911308_f1024.jpg

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lol

Cheers Nate.  It was better with the "F" word in my opinion but not for HP.

I admit the F word would have very accurately expressed the feeling many of us feel for that Panda.

2. Buildreps profile image83

Great Mark, thanks! In any case it looks like a poor black/white animal that's abused by Google.

9. LotusLandry profile image60
    LotusLandryposted 9 years ago

I've had 15 views for 63 hubs.

10. Buildreps profile image83

In any case I'll be leaving Hubpages soon. I always liked to be independent. I'll wave you all goodbye before I do.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73

Best of luck in your new endeavors.

Thanks Barbara.

11. Cari Kay 11 profile image87
    Cari Kay 11posted 9 years ago

While my traffic has dropped, I still have about 23,000 views for the last month of which more than half came from Google.  I would like to add...if anybody needs the suggestion of a good topic, if you've ever tried the hCG diet and had a bad experience (as most have who try that awful diet), share your story in a hub.  Lots of people trying to find 'the other side of the story'.  I know...most people here are too smart to have tried it though but, seriously, there is so much hCG spam out there, people are looking for the side effect stories.

23,000 in a month is awesome!  Congratulations on that steady achievement.

1. Cari Kay 11 profile image87
        Cari Kay 11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  It used to be higher but since it seems like I'm slowly moving back up the ranks of Google, I remain hopeful.  The topics that remain busy are, of course, my misdiagnosed miscarriage topics, hCG diet story and pages about our experience with dyslexia.

1. brakel2 profile image74
          brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your topics are real attention getters. It proves that  traffic will keep on going, while others stutter and slide, if you have interesting content and a good writer's voice. Thanks for sharing this information and giving us hope. Congratulations Cari. This information made my day.

1. Cari Kay 11 profile image87
            Cari Kay 11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am glad.  If I've learned anything it is that people want to know they are not alone.  Everybody has some experience they've been through and sharing that can definitely help others.

12. Buildreps profile image83

Here are some traffic figures of Hubpages: https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com?country=GLOBAL

If you select the period 'all' you see that traffic is going up and down over time. The trend is that traffic has decreased over the years. The amount of mobile users are increasing, currently they are around half the visitors of Hubpages. When your Hubs are not designed to be read on mobile devices (or too long), your traffic will drop gradually.

Hubpages has now more users than ever with the incorporation of Squidoo. Since traffic isn't growing, the same traffic is spread over more users. There's one of the reasons of falling traffic for some of us. And the new Google algorithms don't make it better.

I still have the feeling that Hubpages is turning the buttons somewhere, squeezing traffic, and this is why I'm leaving soon.

13. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

Webmaster tools indicates a problem with page load time and gives a low score of 65. It has to do with photo size and other technical issues. Maybe I need to post it in technical issues. This issue can affect traffic.

14. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

@buildreps. . I would not leave until we analyze the problems. My traffic started to go down before Panda, and I believe we need to look at total picture. Go to Webmaster Tools, and see if you find problems with your hubs.

Yes, Webmaster Tools will find problems with bad external links and other problems you have and help you remove/correct them.

15. LindaSmith1 profile image59

Thanks, Linda!  I got it working.  Now I just need to get in the habit of looking in there.  smile

16. junecampbell profile image72
    junecampbellposted 9 years ago

How often does this Panda update happen?  Is it monthly at all times, or just monthly now until something "something'"defined by Google) has been accomplished?

Roughly every 3 months.

2. Writer Fox profile image32

Since March, 2013, Panda refreshes are not started manually, but roll in tandem with the main Google algorithm which refreshes over a ten-day period, once a month.

Updates to the algorithm are changes which are rolled out sporadically.  Here is the history of updates:
      http://moz.com/google-algorithm-change.

17. firstday profile image60
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

Writer Fox once we get the code how do we go about pasting it on each so we can track each individually?  Example:  open hub and edit put code where?  Am I on the right path here?

1. Writer Fox profile image32

Once you get the code (see my post above), then you just add it to HP one time here:
      Visit My Account > Earnings > Settings.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/sett … d_22670941

18. Solaras profile image96
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

My traffic is off roughly 30% since September 22nd. (Penguin seems not to have affected my pageviews). However, my overall earnings are up slightly thanks to the new Amazon Buy Now capsule.  In fact while we were in the throws of the server migration and Panda hit, I began blindly removing Amazon capsules that had yet to produce a sale.  My remaining capsules produce 4 times the income of the HP ad program.

I think if overall Amazon sales are going up, HP will still be making a reasonable income. I am not worried about HP surviving in the near term, unless Google manually applies a punishment to the site.

19. firstday profile image60
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

Are we able to track individual hubs with analytics?  I already have analytics tracking for me at hub pages.  This is what I was wondering.

Yes, I follow Reporting -> Audience -> Users Flow and it can show the country/Territory plus the name of the Hub, # of Through Traffic & # of Drop offs (+ %) and the amt. of sessions.

1. firstday profile image60
        firstdayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Examiner thank you so much for answering my question.

You are welcome R. Beggs. Have a nice night. :-)

2. NateB11 profile image88

Hi, there. Kevin is right, that's a good way to track Hubs, I use that feature too.

In addition, you can go to Behavior=>site content=>All Pages. From there, have to scroll down a bit, you can see how much traffic individual Hubs are getting and also how much time people are spending on each Hub, among other stats.

Edit: That path I gave you starts at the Reporting screen.

I will also check that one out Nate, thanks.

No problem, Kevin.

2. Solaras profile image96
          Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When you are looking at your stats, what do you consider a good average session duration?

1. LindaSmith1 profile image59
            LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://pnmg.com/read-google-analytics/

Session duration would depend on how many pages they look at and if they don't leave one hub to go to another it would depend on how long it takes them to read hub, skim hub, read a few lines and close it up.  I have started to read some hubs that lasts about 2 seconds due to nonsensical sentences, poor grammar, etc.

2. NateB11 profile image88

I think at least 3 minutes is good.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking "time on page". That's what I usually look at, to see if a particular article keeps someone reading. Average Session Duration I think looks at site-wide time on site (or subdomain in the case of HP), which I would think could be skewed by lower performing pages, etc. So, I guess I don't know the answer to that one.

1. Solaras profile image96
              Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL - That answers another question for me too.

Lol I guess I helped accidentally.

20. LindaSmith1 profile image59

Thanks Examiner: i never knew if or how you could see individual hubs.

You are welcome Linda. :-) Have a nice day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)