Is it right to call ourselves online authors if we are bloggers?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (28 posts)
  1. sweetpikez profile image68
    sweetpikezposted 9 years ago

This is another thing that makes me confused these days. I feel hesitant to call myself as an "author" though HP says I am an author as indicated on my profile.  For me, being an author needs something more than I can't explain. Maybe, someone who published a book.

1. PinoyMom profile image72
      PinoyMomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We may call ourselves as online publishers or online writers.  If you are familiar with Bubblews, their members are called bloggers.

2. CuAllaidh profile image80
      CuAllaidhposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The word author simply means that you have written something, a book, a report, a letter, the title does not imply anything beyond that. Now if you say professional author that's a different matter, or published author, again a whole different ball game.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just like the word doctor just means you have one of several postgraduate qualifications.  But if I go around in the general public saying I (with PhD in a non-medical field) am "a doctor" most people will misunderstand.

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Where I live, lots of non-medical doctors use their title because that's how this city is.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you feel uncomfortable with the word author, just call yourself a writer.  You're not a blogger if you're writing on Hubpages because Hubpages is not a blog.

2. amiebutchko profile image71
    amiebutchkoposted 9 years ago

I think you can call yourself an online author if you are a blogger.  You are what you say you are with writing.  And if you blog, even if you just started, yes, call yourself a blogger and a writer and be one.  You have to believe in yourself to be good!  An authoritative voice is important.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Anyone who authors something may call themselves an author.

What you actually seem concerned with is the authority that can sometimes come with having that achievement.  Recognition and sales can also be tied to perceptions of authority around writing.  Sometimes it comes from who choose to publish you, such as a prestigious magazine or journal.

You are correct in that calling yourself an author after publishing on HubPages comes with zero authority.  Especially when you consider the wide range of quality that can be found here.

4. Krysanthe profile image93
    Krysantheposted 9 years ago

By definition an author is "a writer of a book, article, or report."  So yep, you're an author.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Does a report of what you had for breakfast and where you bought the latte count?  big_smile

5. profile image58
    Heating and ACposted 9 years ago

If you write, you are an author. The attack on authoring originated for one reason: Big business controls newspapers, radio, and television. By this control, they control information, and thereby they control what people believe and think, and even how they will interpret new information. When individuals began to write online - people with firsthand knowledge, not a suit or skirt reading a teleprompter- that absolute thought control suffered a severe blow. Some power holders are on record as saying, "The Internet should have never been allowed to happen." Even that statement exposes their thinking: They believe they are the ones who decide how the world develops- and it should remain strictly under their control. They call this "the hidden hand." Members of this group had stuck their hand inside their jacket for centuries of paintings and photos. This signals to their comrades, "I am also working the secret agenda."

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

As per dictionary you can use the word author.  But most normal people think that means you write books -- so it is not a term I would actually use in conversation when referring to content writing.

7. lisavollrath profile image92
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I have an Amazon author page, and I still don't call myself an author! I'm a writer, so that's how I refer to myself.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

When asked, my reply is simply that I write articles online for extra income.

9. Dressage Husband profile image68
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

I am of the same view as most here that is technically we are authors. However if asked I would say that I write on-line articles in the hope of supplementing my income.

Sometimes I feel like a real author and sometimes not, but I never present myself as one. I would probably not do that unless a publishing company paid me to present myself as such, even then I might feel a little bit fraudulent!

10. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years ago

A blogger writes:  I got up this morning and made coffee.

A writer writes:  Snow fell while I slept last night.  I awoke to the sound of the plows making it possible for all the worker bees to find their way out of their mortgaged hives.  The only thing that could lure me away from the warmth of my blankets was the smell of the coffee I'd set up with the timer at midnight, before succumbing to the dreams that awaited me after the lights went out.

Here on HP you don't have to write poetry every day, but you do have to write about a topic of some kind.  If you want to write a blog, HP is not the right tool for you.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And an author... auths?

11. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 9 years ago

I agree with Kathleen, I never say I write a blog, as far as hubpages is concerned its an article site. So yes writer or author is okay.

12. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

I agree with Kathleen  and Nell. I never refer to myself as a blogger in reference to HubPages - I am a writer / author.

13. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I just refer to myself as a wanna-be writer...it saves everyone else the trouble. big_smile

14. Mark Ewbie profile image80
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

After about a year on HP when I was completely up myself with my amusing little pieces of non traffic fluff I started to tentatively think of myself as a writer.

That was a big mistake.

A couple of years later I realised what I should have been aiming for was content or article writer - but it was too late.

Now I call myself a failed artist.

1. Dressage Husband profile image68
      Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hardly failed we all love you!

1. Mark Ewbie profile image80
        Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh well thanks.  I wasn't grubbing for votes by the way smile  Not till the next award thing comes along.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing "failed" about your work here on HP.  Looking forward to whatever is next.

15. moonfroth profile image67
    moonfrothposted 9 years ago

I would suggest the following:
    1.  Merely responding on a blog, writing comments on host sites like HP or Linkedin or Bubblews does nor qualify a person to say anything about their 'writing'
    2.  Minimum requirements for the term 'writer' should be something you've written that has a purpose, and a beginning, middle, and end--a short story, poems, an article--and that you have 'published, minimally, online
    3.The term Author is best reserved for a person who has had a short story, article etc. published by a press OTHER THAN online.  An independent person had to read your work and make  a decision to publish it.
    4.Poets can call themselves "published poet" when their  work  has been accepted for publication OFFline.

16. ironangel89 profile image59
    ironangel89posted 9 years ago

I always felt like authors were people who wrote books, writers could be a larger umbrella for authors, newspaper writers, and bloggers like ourselves. That's always been my outlook but I may be wrong.

17. profile image0
    reasonablerobbyposted 9 years ago

An author is an originator. Someone who creates a context or story. In sociology academic Karl Weick talks about how we 'author' the social world. In other words we create our social circumstances. In any case I guess your curiosity in the term is because it is (like many words) open to interpretation. In the field of discourse analysis words like this are called 'empty signifiers'. Signifier because the word refers to something and empty because we can give any meaning. Therefore the term 'author' might have special connotations for someone who will only use it for novel writing for example or someone else might use it refer to anyone such as a hubpages content creator, blogger etc.

18. sweetpikez profile image68
    sweetpikezposted 9 years ago

Hello, guys!

I am overwhelmed of the warm response you have given on my post. I have a lot of input to synthesize.

For me, "titles" are hard earned. That is why, I want to call myself the right way (Not too much or little).

With all your replies, I can confidently and fairly say who I am online.

A big gratitude to all of you.

Happy holidays,

Sweetpikez

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)