In Case You Don't Know- (May Be Important)

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 9 years ago

I don't know whether the new people have looked around on the forums or not.
    To the left at the very top you'll notice it says one of two things

1. Switch to Topical forums-This means you are on Hubpages forums and you are limited to the forums you see, switch to the Topical forums to see forums by category

2. Switch To Hubpages forums-Means you are on the Topical forums, and where you should be

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I posted this because I'm not seeing many of the new people on the other forums

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image91
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have never seen those options show on any forums. Where are you seeing that, Deborah?

I have limited the forums I see on the newsfeed page and in my notifications. There are some forum categories I do not wish to see.  Maybe that is why I do not see what you are referring to.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

On desktop, when you open 'Forums' you see 'Latest Activity'. At the top of the left sidebar is a button 'Switch to Topical Forums'.

2. profile image0

Step By Step Instructions
        1. At the very top of the page on say, your profile..it says
        Explore, Notifications, Your Name, Start a hub
        2. Click on explore
        3. Click On forums (this is the same way you came into forums, when you posted in this thread)

This will bring you into the forms
        On the left you'll see a list of forums (In the gray area)
        At the very top it says one of two things
        1. Switch to Topical forums-This means you are on Hubpages forums and you are limited to the forums you see, switch to the Topical forums to see forums by category

2. Switch To Hubpages forums-Means you are on the Topical forums, and where you should be

If you can't see the forums listed by category i.e. relationships, religion, etc
        Switch to topical forums by clicking on that choice at the top
        As Jayne said, it's to the left of the words "Latest Activity"

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image91

Oh - Okay.  I thought you meant this info showed up on each forum thread. Yes, I am familiar with the 'explore forums' section. After over four years, I know how to navigate HubPages. In your beginning post, you just said "on the left at the very top", but did not say on which page/section, but thanks anyway for the detailed step-by-step instructions, which would help newbies.  I have had my forum feed settings for quite some time and do not have to see the radical and stress-causing forum threads, like Religion and Politics. Thanks, Deborah.

1. profile image0

Why would you think that ? I said on the forums (not threads)
            I posted it for those who didn't know, and I had no idea how long you've been here.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image91

Because you did not really designate a page. You said, "To the left at the very top you'll notice it says one of two things" 

No need to get in a tizzy - I did thank you for your info, which cleared up the confusion.

1. profile image0

Since the forum defaults to the Hubpages forum, and you have to switch to the topical ones, then why would you not know what I was speaking of? I think that; If you really knew, you would have recognized what I was saying right away

2. David Stone1 profile image64
    David Stone1posted 9 years ago

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've shied away from the forums because I hate being exposed to so much negativity and so little constructive, helpful content. It may be true that, unless there's some pain, most stay silent, but be that as it may, I have found the forums, when I read and participate, deflating. Not what I want form community.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That will all die down eventually.   The forums go through phases - this has been a tough one.   I never look at the topical forums, because the trolls move in too often - but the non-topical section is usually a good place to hang out.   Once the current anger about the filter blows over I hope we'll return to normal.

1. profile image0

Why is anyone angry ?
        If you mean about this thread, I was simply trying to help those who didn't know, not insult those who did
        Anyone who becomes angry over this, must have some kind of problem

I image one reason would be that some are embarrassed about it, but there's no reason to be

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was replying to David Stone, who said he avoids the forums due to negativity. 

I was referring to the anger in other forum threads, not this one.   That anger is felt by ex-Squidoo members who feel HubPages has broken a promise to them, and by some Hubbers who think our current loss of traffic is all the fault of Squidoo joining (which it isn't).  It does seem to be making people excessively touchy right across all the forums.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image91

I agree with that, Melissa. It has been tough for a lot of people lately, but it will calm down again. When things get too far gone, as in some recent threads, people tend to forget forum etiquette and disagreements become overwhelmingly heated.

2. colorfulone profile image79
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I completely understand that, Dave.

3. profile image0

Did you find the forums Phyllis ?
    It's seems when you go into the forums, it defaults to the non-topical ones, and that's
    probably true for everyone

4. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

I had forgotten that was there! Great to know I can have a view on individual categories too. Thanks Deborah Sexton.

1. profile image0

You're welcome ! I am more than glad to help
      The forums didn't use to default to the non-topical ones.
      When I first realized what was going on, I had been in here a little while, and couldn't figure out what had happened, but I hadn't been on the forums for two years

5. profile image0

I did my job

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)