What's the backlinking strategy that works best for Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (34 posts)
  1. hclpd profile image92
    hclpdposted 9 years ago

I am thinking about building some backlinks to my Hub[ages subdomain, but am not sure where and how should I start. What do you suggest? What's your backlining strategy? Is it really impossible to get so organic traffic without backlinks? If not, how difficult is it?

1. Maffew James profile image94
      Maffew Jamesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As I said in a previous thread, craft content in a way that generates organic backlinks. Don't buy backlinks, spam comments, or ask for them. Google will penalise your subdomain for this and it won't help you. Building backlinks is a matter of marketing.

2. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'd suggest publishing about fifty hubs and polishing them up until you can't find a thing to do to any of them before you worry about serious self-promotion.

Each new piece of writing you publish is an advertisement for the brand of you. The more quality hubs you create, the more possibility exists that someone will read one of them and decide to look for more of your work and share it.   

My strategy is to keep writing, do my best, and share very, very occasionally and only on social websites I already use.

Part of my reason for that strategy is that I, like many people are, am a terrible judge of my own writing. I have had pieces I knocked out half-assed in half an hour, intending to edit the living heck out of them when I had the time that went viral before I got the chance. I've had pieces I sweated over and refined for months before first publish that still sit in my body of work unloved. Some of them seem like my very best work to me, but they clearly are not.

The reason that has any relevance is that aggressively sharing your worst work probably isn't a fantastic self-promotion strategy. So I wait until someone else shares a piece unsolicited before I promote it any more than very casually. I let my readers figure out what my best work is so I avoid the unnecessary and possibly counter-productive work of promoting something that may well just suck.

I have organic, reader-generated backlinks on all sorts of nice sites from using this strategy. They include .gov, .org, and .edu websites as well as magazines, viral videos, and popular blogs. I'm not an exceptional writer in any way so my strategy must be good, at least for me.

Also, the majority of my HubPages views come from search engines so, no, backlinks are not necessary to get organic traffic. People obviously still use the heck out of search engines so the search engine traffic people are missing is not gone, it's just gone somewhere else.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
        Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I hadn't looked at it quite that way, but I agree with it.  That is a good strategy.  I too let the links build up naturally over time.  In the meantime, I do try to provide content that is worth sharing. But, as you say, I'm not a good judge of what is and isn't worth sharing.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image76
        CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Kylyssa: Very good advice.

3. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Maffew and LeanMan. I think building unnatural links could get you hurt by Google. People will naturally link to good content. Some people find pinning articles to Pinterest effective. I've only personally had minimal success with it. You can get good organic traffic without backlinking and just using search-friendly keyword phrases in your titles and some in the text.

1. Kylyssa profile image91
        Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1 for complete agreement and appreciation of clarity.

The unnatural stuff is generally ineffective and potentially risky.

1. NateB11 profile image88

Exactly.

4. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i do use reddit, redgage, digg to submit my links. I don't see any traffic yet to tell you the truth

5. TolovajWordsmith profile image89
      TolovajWordsmithposted 9 years agoin reply to this

1. Write another hub. Make sure it is relevant to at least one of already existing hubs and link to it. Try to add at least one relevant link to a page with already made authority on the subject.
      2. Make a post or more posts on the same or similar subject but from different point of view on one or more of your blogs.
      3. Repeat.

(Occasionally link from one of your hubs to one of your blog posts. It has to be a relevant link. Be patient and persistent.)

6. misterhollywood profile image90
      misterhollywoodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would just add here that if you have a blog post on your personal blog that directly relates to the hub you have here, a deep link to that specific blog post is completely ok. It's a natural and that's fine.

People get into trouble when they have unnatural links. Example: I write a hub about  "How to take rapid transit in NYC" and I link to a blog post about the best natural remedies for erectile dysfunction. Um ... That's not a natural link smile

1. CatherineGiordano profile image76
        CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unless you are a masher on the New York subway. smile

1. misterhollywood profile image90

LOL! smile

2. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

Building backlinks could potentially have the opposite effect to what you hope for....

Unnatural links or links from bad neighborhoods will see your site penalized - that is what the Penguin algorithm from Google is all about....

1. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1
      I agree with that.

What is your take on joining forums that allow members to have links in their signatures?  Say a gaming forum, for someone who writes about games?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'd say it's well worthwhile to join forums that allow signatures.   Not so much for backlinks - remember, no matter how many links you have from a domain, Google counts only one or two of them - but to get real readers.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I have a handy letter which I email to many important bloggers and some useless ones as well.

Dear blogger,

I liked your blog on thing.  I have also written a page a bit better than yours.  Please link to it and I will mention your name on my "Big Page of People On The Internet" which has had nearly seven visitors.

Thanks.

1. hclpd profile image92
      hclpdposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If I am not wrong, it's called the Moving Man Method.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

My traffic on another site is bing, google, rebel mouse.  My traffic here has gone down the toilet.

5. Christopher Knox profile image58
    Christopher Knoxposted 9 years ago

Good call. It shouldn't be to hard as long as your keywords are low comp. Good luck.

6. Sam Montana profile image80
    Sam Montanaposted 9 years ago

I have actually had some success with putting comments on other articles around the internet. The articles have to be the same topic as you're linking back to and your comment has to be good and useful for the article you're reading.

Go to DropMyLink.com and you can enter in a keyword like music for example and then click on either CommentLuv or KeywordLuv. Those types of comments, you can put in a link back to an article of yours. It gives you a backlink from a good neighborhood so to speak and I have seen traffic from these backlinks.

Just don't do very many per week. Google likes to see backlinks built up slooowly over time or it looks unnatural.

1. LeanMan profile image79
      LeanManposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sam do you think that seeing links from comments on a host of sites but no links coming from other sources in the same proportions looks natural? It just starts to look like you are spamming comments around the internet....

1. Sam Montana profile image80
        Sam Montanaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you do too many it will look odd. That is why I do very few. And the comments are always on a website and article about the same subject I am putting a backlink to. If you can find just a few high ranking websites to put a comment on, it does help. Helpfully, along the way, others are putting links to your article on their sites as well.

If you have 50 articles and you have 1 or 2 backlinks per article, that is not going to look like spam.

7. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

The best backlinking strategy is to:
    * build expertise on a topic away from this site so that Google and other rate you as an author,
    * introduce your new hub and then
    * be prepared to wait for natural links to accumulate over time.

It works - but it's not a recipe which makes the "get rich quick" types happy.

1. hclpd profile image92

Yeah, I guess you are right. Only time will tell how successful I am going to be here

8. Sara2901 profile image61
    Sara2901posted 9 years ago

Try pinterest. Pin your best images and write a good description that has your keywords in it. This is my best source of traffic right now.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am getting major traffic from Pinterest too. The truth is if you don't do anything plan on not getting traffic. They've got to find you someplace. Just don't spam or add links to poor places. I know some will disagree with me, but this is what has worked for me.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  It's harder now to gain that initial flow of traffic than it was years ago.  I think it helps to link to quality sites and to join a quality forum that allows our screen name to link to our sites.  The key is not to spam anywhere.  Hubs take a while to gain natural links and ideally that's the way it's all supposed to work, but that was when there were far less people publishing quality content online.  Social media can help and yet you have to keep in mind that anyone using social media also wants links back to their sites.  So choose carefully. 
        Google does look at links, both externally and internally to determine topic relevancy and may rank a site higher as a measure of quality and trust.  Without quality backlinks, it's going to be more difficult to get a decent position.  My hubs that don't have decent backlinks flounder in the SERPS because no one can find them.  My hubs that have gained quality backlinks do much better and they've taken years to gain links.

2. misterhollywood profile image90

Pinterst is great for traffic for sure!

2. hclpd profile image92

Somebody will have to tell me how to do this. I am pretty new to pinning.

1. NateB11 profile image88

It's not hard once you get the hang of it. You open an account, I just used my facebook to open an account. Then you create boards. you pin to boards. On your hub you can just click the Pinterest button on the sidebar and it'll direct you to sign in to Pinterest if you aren't already and then a box will come up for you to choose what board to pin to; write a summary with some keywords in it; then pin it. That's the gist.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There are some good hubs here about how to use Pinterest. I think it is Wrylit that wrote an informative one.

2. NateB11 profile image88

Pin other stuff besides your Hubs. Look around the site, follow some people, etc.

9. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

It is all about quality and time. Most people quit before they get any real back-links and traffic. My guitar site is gradually building its own back links after being on-line for over 4 years now. It has over 1,000 and they have all come naturally. My guitar blog passes that love to my guitar Hubs, but not to any of the others (too bad!).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)