Did you get a flu shot?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Kalafina profile image64
    Kalafinaposted 9 years ago

Every winter season the doctor asks/tells me to 'get a flu shot.'
    This got me to thinking...
    How many of us actually got ours?

1. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I got mine. Also a pneumonia vaccine as I work with elderly and immunocompromised clients.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image77
      Uninvited Writerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, get one every year. I don't want to become a carrier and possibly make another person who can't get flu shots sick.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image70
        Miebakagh57posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Bad to get it every year. Please watch your digestive and your immune system well. They are liable to be affect negatively.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image58
    tirelesstravelerposted 9 years ago

I did, first in years.  Hope the season is almost over since I got it the first of October.

I think you should not try this again?

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Yes,because they are so easy to get now at the local pharmacy.  I am not in a high risk group, but who wants to get the flu?

It is only a folly because is they are easy to get! Those who do not want the flu should be mindful to take preventive measure against it?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The vaccine is one of those measures.

4. CassandraCae profile image83
    CassandraCaeposted 9 years ago

Nope I am good.  I have all my other vaccines but I refuse to vaccinate every year for seasonal flu.

Keep it up even for what the other vaccine factors!

5. johndwilliams profile image84
    johndwilliamsposted 9 years ago

No I have no desire or will to have one either.

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes for the first time in my life and I would never have another flu injection.  I have not been so ill in ages.  After three weeks I still feel awful.
      If I had known that they contain Mercury and can cause some other complications I would certainly not have done so.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image70

Some anti flu over the counter drugs may contain camphor!

6. LongTimeMother profile image90
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

I stay away from flu shots, just as I will actively avoid any new 'anti-viral' treatments that are likely to be rolled out in the near future.

We all know what happened as a result of antibiotics being so popular.

Getting a shut is all that an orthodox doctor can advice. Eating good food with plenty of fruits and vegetables can work more wonder. Fruits in the citrus family helps matter much.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Eating fruit and vegetable is not going to stop a person either from getting the flu or passing it to an child or elderly person -- the groups who die from it.  It will help you recover though, so I guess that is okay.

7. profile image0
    t aaron brownposted 9 years ago

I get my flu shot every year. It assists others, whether they get a shot or not. I help reduce the spread as I am one less carrier. It is also frowned upon in my job field to not get it.

1. johndwilliams profile image84
      johndwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Does a flu-shot guarantee you won't catch flu though?

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
        Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't guarantee you won't get it. If it is one of the viruses covered that year, you may get a less severe case than you would have normally. If it is a flu that isn't included in the vaccine, you have no protection against it. They guess which ones are most likely to go around each year.

8. Arachnea profile image67
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

I work in a hospital environment. They're required. Employees choosing to not get the shot have to wear a hospital mask whenever in a patient area. I got the shot.

9. Barbara Kay profile image72
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

I got mine, because I am on Humira. It causes a compromised immune system.

10. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 9 years ago

A lot of people misunderstand vaccines, how they work, and do not recognize the difference between ethyl and methyl mercury.  This causes a lot of health problemsMin that people who really need disease protection sometimes do not get it.

Here is a great explanation, including how one really bad guy who faked data about vaccination dangers caused a lot of fear and misunderstanding:

http://hoovesandheartbeats.tumblr.com/p … -maki-naro

11. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

Influenza killed 50 million people in 1918, before flu shots were invented.  World War I 'only' killed 16 million.
    http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/influenza-epidemic/

That is interesting, however, I still won't be having that flu injection again.  I can honestly say I wondered one evening if I would survive until the following morning.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It could be that in your country a live virus instead of a dead virus is used in the shot.  In the US, where thousands die each year from the flu, the dead virus is used in the shot: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

I did ask when I went back to the doctor.  They said it was a dead virus but I don't believe it, mine was very much alive and I never get sick.   Oddly enough the lady in the chemist asked me where I received the injection!  I have to say, I wonder if it more beneficial to the drug companies than the people they give it to. The TV ads are filled with flu remedies at the moment, think they are having a field day.

12. profile image60
    Vintervargposted 9 years ago

I am not afraid. I think doctors are just making money

13. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

Since I moved home to care for my, elderly Mom, I have been getting a flue shot right along with her. Twice now. Otherwise, I most likely would not.

14. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

I haven't gotten mine yet this year. Normally my two kids and I go get one sometime around the start of fall, but this year we skipped it because we live in the Dallas area, and the Ebola scare was going on here. I decided I would rather skip going to a medical office and sitting in the waiting room with a bunch of random sick people unless it was an emergency. Now that the Ebola scare is over, it is just a matter of getting around to going for our flu shots. Is it too late at this point?

All the discussions are meaningful. But it seems some persons have a mind set to get the flu and the flu shut, instead of taking a preventive measure against it. I know I once get the related cold shut some forty years ago, thereafter, I took a solid preventive measure against cold and flu. This year, I wrote an article "How To Prevent A Cold All Season" It was informative and it was published online. Taking the shut is good, but will not cure the flu. It will occur again and again, to serve the purpose of the producer of the vaccine, advertiser and  the medical profession to make some cool money. A good preventive measure consultancy service from doctors can against flu can pay off well into the doctors wallet.

2. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I got a flu shot in January last year here (in Canada). The season runs through March so I would think shots would still be available.

15. CassandraCae profile image83
    CassandraCaeposted 9 years ago

Heck no.  When people are speaking out at MIT against the thing I think I am going to avoid it at all costs.  I will deal with my flu and stay home when it happens.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image77

Who, and what exactly did they say? Sources would be nice.

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
        SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I found an article reporting that MIT's medical clinic administered more than 5000 flu shots in six hours a couple of months ago. There were also a couple of articles covering how MIT researchers are discovering ways to make the shots more effective. I couldn't find anything regarding anyone at MIT speaking out against flu shots. I'll admit that I only did a quick search, so maybe I missed something.

edit: forgot the link. http://newsoffice.mit.edu/topic/influenza

16. Digital MD profile image85
    Digital MDposted 9 years ago

Yes, I have since I'm a healthcare worker. Seasonal flu vaccines are very important for certain population groups like us, elderly, immunocompromised patients, and those with other medical conditions.

For the general population, it is highly encouraged to be vaccinated. Aside from personal protection, being immune to the strain helps others indirectly as well. You will be one less person to be infected, so the chances of transmission will be very much lesser. Imagine if one of your family members has a generally weak immune system, he/she will have lesser chances of contracting the illness.

Nonetheless, being not vaccinated annually does not entail much of a "healthcare risk" as compared to not being vaccinated by the important diseases such as measles, Hepatitis, Chickpox.

17. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

I think all of the answers  here -- for and against -- give good reasons. My husband always gets one, I usually don't.

18. Kalafina profile image64
    Kalafinaposted 9 years ago

Wow. I am amazed at the variety of opinions and explanations here. I believe hugely in vaccines (EXCEPT gardasil) but do not get the flu shot as it is a vaccine against the most likely strain of this year's flu. Could mean it is hugely effective or ineffective in that particular year. If I were in the health care field I would get the flu shot or if I had contact with others in high-risk groups. When it comes to looking for answers about the latest in health I recommend using a source like pubmed where you will find many many free (click the settings for free full articles) from accredited medical journals or the CDC. The best way to fight the flu is to be informed about it from legit sources especially if you are wondering about whether your vaccine contains attenuated, dead, or live vaccine.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image77

Why are you against a vaccine that is proven to prevent cancer?

2. Aime F profile image71
      Aime Fposted 9 years ago

No, I've never had a flu vaccine and I haven't given my daughter the vaccine, either. I'm not really 'against' it but given the uncertainty of if the vaccine is even going to protect against this year's strain,  I'm just not as quick to jump on board. My daughter and I are fully vaccinated otherwise.

Great!

3. Miebakagh57 profile image70
      Miebakagh57posted 9 years ago

I congratulate you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)