Am I in the right place?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Jill Mooreposted 9 years ago

I've just introduced myself on a separate thread and I hope it's okay to jump in with a question. I've been an at-home parent for 13 years and am just re-entering the world of paid employment. When I thought about what it is that I really, really want to do, I realised that I want to write. I won prizes at college for my essays and assignments and I know that I used to be good but, let's be honest, I'm pretty rusty. I thought HubPages would be a good place to start in order to get my writing mojo back. I want to set myself up as a freelance writer ultimately and I need to build up a portfolio.

Is HubPages the best place to do that? Can I link to my hubs on my own website, once I have one or is that frowned upon / banned? Do editors and freelancer clients respect the work that goes on here?

I plan to write here regardless, simply for the pleasure of being able to write again but should I be looking at alternative methods of building a portfolio? I'm suffering a fairly serious degree of overwhelm and I'm trying to work out where my time and efforts are best focussed.

Thank you to anyone who can offer me a perspective on this.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jill,

Welcome to HubPages! It can indeed be a great place to get back in practice with the writing game. You may link to your Hubs from your website as much as you want, but there are restrictions on when and how much you can link to your blog from your Hubs.

Hope that helps, and best of luck on the beginning of your writing journey!

2. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jill, if you take care to make sure your articles are well written, grammatically correct and interesting, you can use them as references. I have done so on many occasions.

Hubpages is a great place to practice your writing. The more you write the more confidence you will gain. Ask for help when you need it and a ton of people will give you advice.

3. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

welcome to HP! Firstly, you can link to your own website but one one link. You will get warning message if you link two articles from your same website. Secondly, if you have deleted your article at your own website, you can post it here. HP only allows original , new articles, not copy and paste.

4. Pawpawwrites profile image60
      Pawpawwritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jill, If you want to write "for the pleasure of being able to write again", I would say that Hubpages is a great place to be. Once you have some followers, you will be able to get instant feedback on what you have written. I find that to be very helpful with keeping motivated. Good luck, and hope you enjoy your stay.

5. sockii profile image71
      sockiiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Whether HubPages is the "best" place on line to get back into writing is something only you can decide. It's just one of a number of different content platforms out there today, which may or may not be better for you than simply running your own blog or website.

If you feel the design of the article layout here suits your content, and if you're able to get your hubs through the Quality Assessment on publishing, then nothing says you shouldn't give it a try. If HP doesn't seem to work out for you then there are other options available. Or, you might want to try a few articles at different sites and see which one is bringing you better traffic and results with time.

You can certainly link to your Hubs from your personal sites, no problem in that. Link outs from HubPages to your sites do need to be limited and should only be as directly related to your hub topic.

To be honest in today's internet world, I personally feel writers should be concentrating on their OWN sites and blogs first, and general content platforms only secondarily. Especially if you are trying to establish yourself as a serious writer looking for freelance work, and where you can have best control in the long run over what you write.

1. Dale Hyde profile image79
        Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do agree with all you share, however, the above is very true and to me very important.  I compared my stats today for HP and for my blog.  Both run ads, both pay.  The views today, of all days, are exactly the same at both places. smile  On some occasions, my blog has had triple the amount of traffic that my HP account has had.

On a side note, most of what is on my blog are articles that used to be featured hubs here that suddenly became unfeatured.  Seems like Google still likes them on my own domain. smile

2. Tigrest profile image67
    Tigrestposted 9 years ago

Hi Jill!  So good to have you here! It's great that you decided to get back to writing after all these years. You should do that, even if it's just for yourself. Writing can help you see deeper into yourself, discover new things and get to know a lot of interesting people. Hubpages community is very friendly and supportive. I am sure people will want to read what you have to say. Good luck!

3. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

Welcome to HubPages Jill. I think that this site is an excellent way to brush off the cobwebs and get back to writing.  Writing individual stand-alone articles is a lot less time-consuming, you can write about a variety of topics to see what you prefer, and you can develop your writing style.

You are allowed to link to your website, but you do have to make sure that you are doing so to help the reader of your article and not just to promote your website.

4. Born2care2001 profile image70
    Born2care2001posted 9 years ago

Hi Jill,
    I can only relate my experience here. I have been at hubpages for over 3 years. I have found a warm, supportive environment. My counsel to you would be to ensure that the activity and skills of writing make your heart sing and that you would do it even if you didn't get paid.
    If the activity satisfies and fulfills you, hubpages may be a warm place to share your work. At the same time I would also look to other venues for a more academic environment if that better meets you learning style and needs.
    Welcome to the family! We're glad you're here.

5. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 9 years ago

If you're looking to build up a portfolio to get into freelance writing, Hubpages is one of the best places to be. Just going to write down a few points in no specific order:

1. Yes you can link to your hubs from your website.

2. You can write on varied topics here and you could offer individual hubs as references when applying for freelance writing jobs.

3. The format of hubs looks good, so add a few pictures, videos, polls etc to make it look stunning and your probable clients will be taken up. The writing needs to be good, but good design would make them want to read through - so better chances of being selected on the whole.

4. Once you begin getting freelance clients you will find it easier to get new clients as you'd have good feedback to show any new clients, until then hubpages is a really good option.

6. profile image0
    Jill Mooreposted 9 years ago

Thank you so much for all the replies and the warm welcome.

There's some excellent advice here which I shall take on board.

7. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

Welcome to HP Jill! I hope you like it here. I see you have already a lot of answers from the comments and so I wish you good luck. Enjoy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)