No update in 32 hours and my hub score drops 2 points. Connection?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Lady Lorelei profile image85
    Lady Loreleiposted 9 years ago

No update on the stats in 32 hours. Yesterday my Hubber Profile score dropped a point and when I signed in this morning it had dropped another point. My hub score has rapidly dropped 2 points. Is there a connection between the stats not updating and my Hubber score? Seems like a pretty rapid descent without reason to me. Yikes, what am I supposed to do here in a day?

1. CatherineGiordano profile image76
      CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am so upset; resigned but upset. I'm so close to my first payout and the updates have stopped. Instead of writing new hubs, I have spent the past week promoting my existing hubs. I think my efforts have been successful, but I can't see it because the stats have stopped updating!

HubPages is just infuriating with the constant glitches.

On the plus side my hub scores have gone up and the average score is back where it was before the change, but my hubber score has not gone back up to where it was. I didn't change the hubs because there was nothing wrong with them, and the scores went up anyhow.  It wasn't due to traffic either because I didn't promote my low scoring hubs.

1. davidlivermore profile image94
        davidlivermoreposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately they will tell you to rely on Google Analytics to see the traffic you are receiving.  But I don't like using Google Analytics myself.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image76

Another reason I have written new hubs--I'm feeling so frustrated and unmotivated because of all the changes and glitches. It takes a lot of hard work for me to produce a hub, and I at least want the psychic satisfaction of seeing my views, my earnings, and scores that make me feel like I have received a compliment on my work.

Lady Loreleiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The score that dropped so drastically for me is the main score that sits on the profile page. Not sure if this is termed a Hubber score or something else but it is very disheartening at the moment. I know creating a new article would probably raise it but I am just plain old frustrated with Hubpages at the moment and not too into playing games.

2. Kylyssa profile image89
        Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I actually noticed this glitch because I published a new hub and it shows no views at all.

The ability to see your views is motivating, but it really doesn't affect the views you actually get. If you want to stay sane and write on content farms, you may need to take a longer view and concern yourself with monthly views instead of daily views or set up Google Analytics for your account.

What I am more worried about is the dropping Hubber score on my profile. If it falls under 85 my links beome no follow. My score bounces daily from 85 to 84 and back again. It is now falling like a rock and sits at 83. I would think the search engines would see this ever changing fluctuation in a bad light so that very much worries me. This every day change in the number is pure silliness. No ones writing should be based that drastically on a days activity and especially when it affects such a notable item.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
            Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have been having the same thing happening, but mine is bouncing between 84 and 86. After I update a hub, the score goes up and then in a day or two it is lower than it was to begin with - real motivating.

2. profile image0
    ShelleyHeathposted 9 years ago

Hi There,

I'm glad that you've pointed this out. I myself have just started here and was finding yesterday very slow after a point and now you point it out my stats haven't changed whatsoever today either, so that would explain things.

My earnings have went up $0.04 though so you're definitely right!

Is this a frequent thing, and do they update in a flurry to be a true reflection when they do? How annoying, either way!

3. Kylyssa profile image89
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

You can enable Google Analytics and see what your traffic is really like.

I've only been paying attention since the Squidoo migration, but every time stats have been glitchy or delayed, it's just been a dashboard effect for us that they soon fixed. They are still tracking views and our stats will update.

It seems to happen most frequently on weekends, possibly because they nip it in the bud so fast we don't notice it if it happens when they are there to fix it on weekdays.

The changes in scores may be an algorithm change or just another glitch they'll fix in a day or so.

1. profile image0
      ShelleyHeathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh that's great, thanks. I'm not too fussed then if they are fixed at some stage, just as long as they are.

Thanks!

4. paradigm search profile image55
    paradigm searchposted 9 years ago

Stats haven't updated, but earnings have. I was surprised my impressions were less than usual. So when stats update, it may not be pretty. Oh, well.

5. Paul Maplesden profile image76
    Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years ago

Anyone that is frustrated at slow stats updating on HubPages should look at installing Google Analytics. It's free and gives much more insight about your visitors - Where they come from, what they look at etc. It also updates in almost real time. There's a guide to setting it up here: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/sett … -analytics

You can also install Google Webmaster Tools - That gives a lot of insight into how you are performing in Google Search, again, it's free: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … ster-Tools

I think I have google analytics, but it is for the site as a whole.  I want to see what is happening with the specific hubs I am promoting. I will look at the link you provided, Paul, as soon as I can get to it. 

Yes, stats have gone 4 days without updating at times in the past.  I still cannot understand why there is so much trouble with such a basic function for such a long time.  Why doesn't it automatically update every 4 or 6 hours? 

I had to spend an hour this morning with my DMCA issue.  Now I have to take time to try to figure out google analytics. This is added to all the other tasks associated with being on HubPages--reading, commenting, responding to comments, writing, promoting, chasing down people who steal my content.
      What I want from HubPages is not to have to deal with techy things. I feel that is my deal with HubPages. I write and promote. They deal with the business end of things. Now that I have reached the goal of 100 hubs, I want to spend more time on promotion.  To do this, I want to see if the promotion is bringing in views so I can move to another form of promotion if my efforts are not working.

Yes, I saw that the earnings just updated, but not the states.  I had a lot fewer views in earnings than I expected. It must be because the stats are old.  I might have changed my promotional tactics if I could have seen that the views were not increasing as much as I thought they were. I want to know which of my hubs are getting fewer views. I notice the red and blue arrows change even when stats don't update.  This is a small help.

People who get thousands of views a day may laugh at me, but most of us don't get that many views. I'm getting 100-200 day, maybe more on a very good day. (I've been having more good days since I started putting more time into promotion.)  I need my view count to be up to date in order to know how to promote my hubs..

google analytics said I had over 350 views from 4/17-4/18. Earnings shows only 63 views which means I had 100 views by HP's count.  I'm more confused than ever.

1. Paul Maplesden profile image76
          Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There are two main differences between HP views and analytics views:

1. HP views do not take into account the 40% of views that are credited to them for ads etc, so your views will always be 40% lower in HP stats
          2. Analytics views are on a fixed, 24 hour basis (midnight to midnight); HP views are on a rolling 24 hours

You can study how views of specific hubs have changed in analytics - Go to reporting > behaviour > site content > all pages - That will show you all of the views that Analytics has for that time period.

You can then go to secondary dimension > acquisition > source/medium and it will tell you where the views are coming from for each page.

Thanks Paul. I was sure I was too dumb to do this, but I actually figured it out. GA reported that I had 430 views for the one day period and I could see which hub they came from and how they got there. (Strange that HP only gave me credit for 63 meaning they counted 100.) I was puzzled by one thing.  In the first column of the chart is usually said "/hub/ " followed by the title of the hub, but sometimes it just showed the slash without a title. Thanks so much for your help.

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
              LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Catherine, my understanding is that visits where no hub is identified (ie "/hub/") include all your own visits to your stats page, your feed page, your earnings page, your traffic sources page etc.

Google counts them, but HP doesn't show them anywhere in our stats.

2. LongTimeMother profile image92

Oh, how annoying. I click submit once, and two copies of my post appear. Is anyone else having this problem again?

2. Susana S profile image94
            Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is true if you look at your impressions on the "my earnings" page but not when looking at the traffic stats in "my account".

The stats in my account show all traffic, not just our 60%.

6. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

As annoying as it is when stats don't update, earnings generally update regardless. Views show up in the stats sooner or later. It is unusual to be waiting more than 30 hours, but we've had longer delays on occasion.

Don't stress if your hubber score changes. Mine has been bouncing between 97 and 98 for the past couple of weeks. As I type this, I think it is on 96. I don't know why it dropped, but to be honest I don't really care.

I tend to view hub scores and hubber scores a bit like the weather. Sometimes I wake up to a sunny day, and other days it is overcast ... or raining. I can't control the weather (or unpredictable score fluctuations), so I just get on with life.

We're writers. Let's concentrate on the words instead of the numbers. Create some nice new hubs. That should make you feel better. smile

My score bounces from 85 to 84. It is my understanding that at 85 my links are shown to the search engines but at 84 they become no follow. This very much concerns me as I seem to be sitting on the borderline no matter what I do.

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Right, if the Hubberscore does below 85 the links become no-follow.

1. LongTimeMother profile image92

But links being no-follow is not the end of the world. I suspect many people worry more about the 'name' than the actual effect warrants.

My understanding is that no-follow has no effect on a hub being featured, or views being counted, or amazon sales, or ebay sales ... and it doesn't mean your links won't work. So your hub can still be making money ... and you don't have to worry about making changes due to 'broken links'.

Your links aren't broken, they just don't get factored in when google etc assess your hub.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. Is there something about no-follow that I'm not aware of?

What it will have an effect on is how Google and the other search engines view my lens. I am not looking for traffic from within Hubpages what I am looking for is traffic from Google. If my account looks unstable with the search engines then that worries me. My links are now like a light twinkling off and on. On now - off now - ooops on again - oh gosh now they are gone!

That behavior looks weird to me so I can only imagine how it is viewed with the search engines. Silly and ridiculous.

2. Jason Marovich profile image88
        Jason Marovichposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's right, your links.

So that means if you are using HubPages to get traffic to your own page, then it might be an issue.  The links from your page being 'no-follow', in theory, won't count for as much as a 'follow' link to your page.

The incoming links to your page from sources other than your HubPages account are unaffected.

I say might in the first sentence of the second paragraph because no one knows exactly what Google is up to now.  It used to be clear cut the difference between follow and no-follow. 

I have a hunch that it'd be better to worry about getting links incoming from sites with major credibility if you really want your Hub to rise in SERP rankings.

2. colorfulone profile image78

I have been watching the up and down Hubberscore. It has been bouncing between 90 and 88 recently. Just never know which way the wind is going to blow in one day. I have seen that score change through-out 'a day' two to three times.  -  Shrugs!

My hub score was bouncing between 94 and 96 ; it used to bounce between 98 and 100.  Then it went to 93. I got concerned that it might keep dropping and get below 85.  It's hard to stay unconcerned when you don't know why it is dropping.

2. Lady Lorelei profile image85

What I find silly is that my other 3 accounts which I rarely touch are sitting safely above the 85 on a regular basis. So does this mean that I should not be editing my work on this account? When I edit a hub they do go up in individual hub score but not much changes with my main hubber score. Still the same 84 - 85 - 84 - 85 bounce. This is my main account so it is very disheartening. It makes me want to take my ball and go play somewhere else.

Where do you think would be a better place to take your ball to go play? smile

I don't think there is a better place to play. I benefit from the related hubs feature below everyone's hub. I get a lot of views from other hubpages. I wouldn't have that if I went out on my own. I just wish things would run more smoothly at HP. Hooray. After nearly two days, the stats just updated.

Aw yes, stats are updated again.
              That is a good point about the related hubs features.
              One hand washes the other! smile

2. Lady Lorelei profile image85

wink Traffic is up on this update.

7. Angel198625 profile image88
    Angel198625posted 9 years ago

It seems like things are always changing. Sometimes there are glitches, the updates stop for a little bit, but it always gets fixed and it's back to running smoother again. Try to have a little patience. I'm also not trying to be mean, but Hubscores may fluctuate. Two points is actually not that drastic.
    Also, if it's any inspiration, I joined hubpages, wrote a few articles and only made pennies off of those for a year. I became inactive on hubpages until I got a random email stating that I had received payout. My views had gone up, and now one of my hubs ranks pretty high on google, I get over a thousand views a day, and reach payout every month. Focus on your hubs and give it some time. (Hope that was at least a little motivating for ya smile )

8. Lady Lorelei profile image85
    Lady Loreleiposted 9 years ago

Well my score is back up to 85 and I am hoping it stays there for awhile. This 84 one day 85 the next 84 the next is driving me wacko wink

Angel I am a Squidoo transfer in. Many of my articles date back to 2007 -2008 so they are well aged. My visits were very much higher before my articles were transferred here. The new hub rank system puts a minimum on visits is what they said.

9. Beaddoodler profile image67
    Beaddoodlerposted 9 years ago

I don't pay a lot of attention to my hub score.  It's based on one of those mystical algorighms (sp).  It can drop or  rise for no apparent (to me) reason.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)