Titles, subjects and creativity..

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

It seems that there is a lull, or a time of forgetfulness, or a loss of interest in our main purpose for being here. We are writers, creative people who either have a strong niche or write on several genres.

Yet, in the forums we seem to be stuck on statistics, scores, ups, downs, problems, issues with changes and so DARN many glitches to complain about.

I would love to see this thread express some ideas for titles, subjects, creativity and support to help each other come up with new ideas to spruce up our  newsletter with a long list of new hubs.

I have been thinking about experimenting with a different style of writing or new subjects to see if it will brighten up my HubPages any. I am doing okay and things are going okay - but, I would like to do something new to spark more interest in readers. I feel I am getting stuck in a rut.

What would you do to perk up and spruce up your HubPages? How can we all become more creative in our writing? I don't mean just fiction, but all genres. And I am not criticizing anyone - I think most hubbers are very creative and good writers and some are exceptional. It is just that sometimes, we need to take a leap of faith and try something new to refresh our minds and our creativity.

I try to create titles that will clearly reflect my subject matter and make sure my subject matter answers correctly to the title, but it ain't always easy. Sometimes I write my hub (in my word doc) then choose a title and sometimes the opposite. What is the best way for you to do it?

1. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Phyllis, you make good points here. Forums have become so boring in general and just places to come and gripe about stats, hub scores, traffic etc. it is refreshing that you have started a thread to try and boost creativity. I am always trying to come up with new ideas and different ways of writing which is why I embrace the writing challenges that other hubbers come up with. You don't have to come up with the idea yourself then. It is obvious that you put a lot of time and research into every hub you publish, but you are right, it is easy to get stuck in a rut. I think occassionally every writer should choose a genre or type of writing that is out of their comfort zone and try to extend themselves. For instance, if you have never written poetry, give it ago...likewise flash fiction, or even a recipe hub, as long as it I'd different from what you normally write. Just for a moment express your creative side without worrying about traffic etc. I very rarely write my hubs in word first...usually in a notebook and the directly to HP (although for my last hub I didn't). The trouble with this is I often start off with one title in mind and end up changing it for something better, but the first is stuck as the URL.

Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jodah.

Yes, the forums are rather boring with all the gripes going on.

That is why I start my hub in notebook first, then Google Docs -  (I forgot to mention that) because I may change the title several times as I write. Then the final draft goes to HP edit mode where the title is solid.

I write in several genres, but I think I might try focusing on just one for awhile at least, to see how it works out. I am leaning towards the short story.  I have written a few short stories, but it really is "out of my comfort zone".  And I feel I need more practice in short stories. Maybe I should go for the challenges more often.

I would rather just write and not get involved with all the concerns over traffic and all the other stuff that bombards the forums. I am not the type to post a forum thread every time my scores drop, or traffic drops or rises - I just want to express creativity and write. What comes after that is in the hands of destiny ... or fate... or Google ...

Thanks for your thoughts and contribution to the thread, Jodah. You have some good thoughts there. I really like and admire your style and the fact that you are so versatile.

1. Jodah profile image92
          Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Phyllis, most of the writing challenges lend themselves to short stories and there was no time limit set. Annart's, availiasvision, Chris Mills, Frank Antanacio etc (even moi) have issued great challenges that you could try if you haven't already. Look forward to reading more short stories by you.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Phyllis for bringing up the subject at hand.  The way I write a hub is the jot some notes in my notebook and I just simply write away.   The more I write, the more fecund my ideas become.  I write based upon what I have read and studied in addition to some deep analytical thinking.   I love to write social commentary on various subjects such as America, relationships, religion, and other arenas.  The family, birth order, and siblingships are other subjects that I love to write about and discuss.  Astrology is another area that I love to delve into.  I am also interested in exploring the darker side in psychology and consciousness.  I am little tired know and the weather is crisp (New York City) so I will rest a while.  You have brought up an excellent subject.

Thank you, Grace. Get some rest and be of good cheer. You seem to be spontaneous when you write and that is good, for it is then coming from your true self. Sometimes, especially when I write poetry, it just comes out on its own and I flow with it. That is when I know it will be good.

Thanks for participating and contributing to the thread.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
          gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're indeed welcome. It has been an immense joy.

You are precious !

3. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Phyllis,

I am with you on this one!  For that very reason I did one on any good news out there, as I am totally burned out on bad news.  When I arrive home in the evenings, I always receive a blessing from those sharing their good news of the day.  It always brings a smile to my face and it is continuing to roll right along, to my delight and pleasure.

I have written, for the most part, non-fiction articles being the reason I started to write here on HubPages in the first place was to share how the Lord God has worked miracles in my life, to include healing me of breast cancer and other events.

Now, I do like to pop in something different, and taking Jodah's (John) lead, am trying my hand at a little series with a flash fiction story and recipe combo, where they both relate.  It has been fun. I have not published here as much as I once did (once or twice a week), but now just when I have something new and creative to share.  I have decided to not publish something JUST to publish something, if you get my reasoning.

I really want to try my hand at writing more humor.  I did one time when I wrote about an obsession I had with a Country singer, and it seemed it was well received  So, I may give that another try.

Your articles are always interesting.  I love it here when others come up with something new and fresh that has not been seen here yet on HP.  All of the challenges last year were so creative and fun. I think the articles here that touch on some personal life experience, whether funny, poignant or unbelievable are my favorite to read.  To me, as long as the articles were written with heart, they are great.

Thanks for the post.

Hi Faith. You brought up a very good fact - writing can be very healing. I found that out long ago when I started keeping journals on my personal feelings and experiences. Some of them I have published here and it helped me to share with others. When my Mother was dying I was totally lost in a world of denial and pain. Each day I spent hours with her, as all my siblings did, and gained some strength through her. I worked in a rest home many, many years ago and saw a lot of people die. My Mother went through her end of life time with more grace and faith than I have ever seen and she welcomed death with open arms and her strong faith in the Lord.

I visit your "Good News" thread to read the posts and it always perks me up. That was such a great idea you had and it is working beautifully. Thank you for that. We need more positive threads like that.

Thanks, Faith.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi Phyllis,

Thank you so much for sharing about your precious mother and I am sorry she and you had to go through all of that she did.  I know such articles may not make a ton of money, but people seem to gravitate toward them and the hubs receive many views to my surprise and delight, and maybe they are relatable.  If they are inspirational or provide some sort of hope during trials, many will benefit from reading.

I think even How To hubs can be written in a creative way, even adding a bit personal as to any problems one may have experienced with the project. 

I think when we try new stuff that is fresh and creative our writing improves. 

Yes, good news is always appreciated, at least by me.

Thank you, Faith.

4. Rachel L Alba profile image91
      Rachel L Albaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Phyllis,  I understand what you are saying.  My hubs are only about recipes with the exception of one or two.  There is just so much you can say about a recipe.  I try to go back and remember what inspired that recipe or look up information on line about different ingredients in that recipe, but sometimes I just can't find a lot of words like most of your do.  So if you or anyone can think of different ways I can explain a recipe, I would love to hear it.  Thank you.

Hi Rachel. Good to hear from you. I have done a few recipes and find that if I research for a history, origin, or specific culture for the recipe, there is usually a lot to write up front as an introduction - such as my History of Figgy Pudding hub. Then I lead into the recipe. When you write on the history, etc. there are a lot of options to choose images (I chose an image or two from Charles Dickens' story "A Christmas Carol". It just adds a little more interest to the hub.

I do, however, love to read your recipe hubs. You always provide very good instructions and photos. I probably have a lot of your recipes saved in my favorite recipes file for reference.

5. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Phyllis,
      I have moved from what I began writing about when I first signed on and keep trying new areas. I am also presently studying about keywords, SEO and anything else that helps me improve my writing.

Hi Kevin. I have to stop and think about SEO keywords and that stuff once in awhile, because I get so into the writing that I forget to think about those things. You are getting better each time you write - I think we all are, it is just natural that the more we write the better we get, yes?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59

I agree with you Phyllis. We are all getting better at our writing - at least those who really want to. (I discovered the other day what "unapproved comment" means. I went through all of my Hubs comments and found quite a few going several months back from outsiders which I did not know about. Non seemed spam so I approved all and here I am thinking that I receive no messages from outside HP.)

Ha ha, Kevin. All those comments just sitting there waiting for you to read them.  I used to get a lot of "unknown" commenters - most were very nice, but some were really off the wall and I deleted them. Your comments section on the main page (news feed page) should show a # if you have unapproved comments waiting. To the right of your avatar are three links: Comments, Your Hubs and Your Profile. If there is a number by Comments, just click on it and it takes you to all comments not yet replied to by you. That is where I reply to all my comments. It is a lot easier than going into each hub and scrolling down to the new comments.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59

It only shows the comments from my Hubbers. Mine are in "recent notifications" in email as "unfeatured comments". I simply did not know what they were in the past and flipped through comments too fast to notice them.

2. cam8510 profile image92
    cam8510posted 8 years ago

Hi Phyllis, I try to write a variety of types of hubs.  I write fiction in the form of short stories and flash fiction, but I also try to write general interest articles like the one I just published on earthquakes.  Creative non fiction is lots of fun as well.  I know this isn niche  writing, but it is fun writing.  Let's get another challenge going.  I'm leaving until Sunday night, but I'll check this thread out while I'm out kayaking and camping for the weekend.  Later folks.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi Chris,

Enjoy your fun-filled weekend and stay safe.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

Hi Cam. Hope you have a great time fishing. Yes, a challenge is always a good idea and brings the community together on a common goal. I will put some thought into it - maybe an alternate ending like Frank has done before.

I like creative non-fiction, too, like my Mother Earth hubs (rainforests, tapestry of Earth, etc.). I love to write poetry (that I cannot force, it has to come spiritually). I love all the genres I write on. I will try one niche for awhile, though and see how I do with that.

Thanks, Cam.

3. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

Phyllis, I agree with you that too many people are worrying about hub scores and making money. This is not the place to write if your object is to make money. Part of the problem, however, is caused by HubPages. We have to worry too much about SEOs, graphics, etc., which cause us, me anyway, to have to spend more time on a hub than I can afford. It takes me three times as long to locate the paraphernalia that HP wants us to include than it does to write and edit my hubs. That's why I produce one hub every month of Sundays instead of being the prolific "writer" I would like to be.
    On the subject of subjects and genres, I find that fiction doesn't produce enough readership to make it worth my while to publish. I recently reworked and republished an old fiction, and got only two or three comments on it. That was disappointing because it was my very first hub to publish and I certainly didn't get many readers then. There  are a few people who trudge on and are building a readership on fiction, but I get the impression that it is all they write. Certain people do seem to like poetry, limericks, and funny stuff, but a serious hub has to be about something unusual to attract readers.
    I see a lot of hubs about English grammar how-to that seem to attract readers, and hubs on writing seem to be popular. Apparently writers want subjects on how to improve their writing and make more money. Me -- I just want to write to make people happy.

Hi MizB. I also find myself spending far too much time on trying to find new procedures and comply with them - or spending time in forum threads when HP staffers make new changes that are detrimental to hubbers. They just cannot seem to stay with things that work, but have to keep making changes to look ambitious enough to keep their job.  I just want to write and hopefully help someone learn something new or just enjoy my hubs.

I love writing fiction and poetry, but I think it would be better if I save that for my own site.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)