Spelling and Grammar errors in comments

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. VirginiaLynne profile image92
    VirginiaLynneposted 8 years ago

I just emailed a comment to HubPages staff but thought I'd also ask the forum group.  I have a lot of errors in the comments posted on my Hubs because I write Hubs read by students and by people who are not native English speakers.  It never occurred to me that these grammar and spelling errors were hurting my rankings and I'm glad the robot hub editor is correcting some of them, but there are many errors I can see that aren't corrected.  Should I systematically go through my hubs and delete comments with errors?  Is anyone else doing this?

1. Susan Hambidge profile image94
      Susan Hambidgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My first thought about correcting/editing comments is that this seems dishonest. If someone expresses an opinion, view, question or thought, it should be left alone, typos and all. My other thought is that is it condescending - an author is that anal that they can't even have comments with errors on their hubs?

Obviously I know that it is the robot, not you, but what about those who don't know that, the students you speak of for example?

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I do not delete comments. I just uncheck the box to the left of the correction.  I do not think anyone but the hub author sees the corrections, so errors in comments can  be ignored or unchecked.

3. Venkatachari M profile image82
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anybody deletes comments. Comments are like feedback and assessment of your posts. It is recognition and appreciation of your work.
      But, if you are more worried about Google rankings, it is upto you to decide whether you are going to delete them or not. I would never do that.
      Moreover, once editbot has done its job, there should be no problem for you. I believe the programming of Editbot has been done according to Google standards. So, if any other mistakes persist, they may not be axing you after the editing done by Editbot.
      You may think over all these points and do as per your wish.

2. Kristen Howe profile image90
    Kristen Howeposted 8 years ago

I only delete comments if it's spam. I do have some comment corrections, while the rest were minor in text by one or two words.

3. VirginiaLynne profile image92
    VirginiaLynneposted 8 years ago

What I am concerned about is that Google penalizes us in the ranking for having spelling errors and that comments apparently are included in this.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Post in the "Official Announcement" thread on Editbot and someone there will be able to help.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/133104

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would rather lose a little rank than misrepresent a person's comment by changing it.  Better to delete them if you feel they are hurting your hub than disrespect another person's copyright.

4. profile image54
    Max Harmonposted 8 years ago

Who care?  Sounds like the rankers who run the ranking need the correcting.  Penalizing people for other people's foibles-- it's either lazy or some kind of degenerate disorder.  That's their problem, not yours.  Just make undeniable content and it will make way.  Do you know how much money, "You ain't nothing but a hound dog" made for somebody over the years?  Well Google ain't smart enough.  Lazy rankers.  I left the "s" out on purpose.

Love this comment!
      In life in general, I am getting rather fed up by 'bots, software, processes, checks, analytics etc etc etc trying to force square pegs into round holes for no good reason apart from to sell things better (so it is believed)! We are not robots, we are human beans wink

5. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

I had some issues initially with editing comments, but most comments are written quickly on the fly, and the person is not taking the time to make sure that everything is in perfect form.  I know when I look at some of my older comments, I cringe at the errors, and wish I had a chance to fix them.  For that reason, I don't see a problem with correcting the errors.  It portrays the commenter in a better light, and I would like to think that they would have corrected the error themselves if they the time.

Correction to comments - '...error themselves if they HAD the time.'

Sorry - couldn't resist correcting as you said you don't have a problem with it. lol

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The corrections are already made. You don't have to do anything. If you want to revert back to the misspelled word, click the box next to the error and it will go back to the old way. Outsiders can't see the fixes. Most of everyone's are in the comments.

Many of the fixes are hyphenated words which are correct both ways. I use alot often, and it should be a lot, two words, and that's one of the only corrections I had. I often write 3,000 word hubs. The work is done by the time the changes are made. I just wish they would take the robots off once we "fix" them. Between those and copyright symbols for stolen hubs, it's hard to see our up and down arrows. This was not thought through long enough.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image89
        Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL. Yep, exactly why the corrections are perfectly okay with me.

6. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 8 years ago

Thanks Jean - I was wondering about this and you answered my wonderings!

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jewels,
      Happy to help smile.

7. Farkle profile image90
    Farkleposted 8 years ago

Thanks for posting this 'cause I was wondering about it too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)