"My Sincere Apologies to ALL of My Followers and Non-Followers"

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (46 posts)
  1. kenneth avery profile image80
    kenneth averyposted 7 years ago

Sept. 27, 1:58 a.m.
    To Everyone who commented on the question that I asked about why some of my recently-published hubs are not receiving comments . . .
    I Sincerely Apologize for any confusion, pressure, embarrassment or (pressuring to follow me) or anything else that might be seen as negative or ignorant.
    I am talking to Marisa Wright; Jodah; threekeys; blessedp; The0NatureBoy and more that I cannot remember right now.
    So now for the relief of these hubbers, and that is a play on words, I am going to take a short break and see what develops on HP with my hubs. I may show up on your hubs to read them and comment. At this point I cannot say.
    So until I see you all again, thanks for the pointers and advice.
    No hard feelings at all.
    Kenneth

1. Jodah profile image90
      Jodahposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Kenneth, please see my latest reply on your other forum thread in regard to "success."

kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jodah,
        I did read your definition of "success," and I have to agree 110%.
        I am going to rest for about a month and let you and Marisa do the writing and during this time, I will face a few tough decisions about my future on HP and materials, etc.
        Thanks, man, for all of your nice comments.

1. Jodah profile image90

You are welcome, Kenneth. I see no one answered your question on the other thread. Yes, Your own photos are fine and what HP likes best. With many of my early hubs I used any image I found on the Internet, now I know better. I use my own, Pixabay, or Shorpy (historical pics) mostly now.
          By all means take a short break. I am sure when you return followers will flock back to read and comment on your hubs.

Jodah, only time will tell.

2. The0NatureBoy profile image55
      The0NatureBoyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Apology accepted, Kenneth, although for me there was no need.

The0NatureBoy,
        smile

3. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Kenneth, no need to apologize. And no need to take a break from HP. Just pace yourself. Pay attention to how often your favorite writers post and follow suit. You may see more earnings if you slow down a bit and let us savor your work.

bravewarrior,
        " . . .I humbly disagree with you. I did need to apologize for asking that, (now I learned was a) ignorant question."
        "I sensed an undertone from two of the hubbers that I should just leave HP and tried to disguise their real meanings in soft terms. I am not one to boast and you know that better than anyone. But I am NOT stupid." "I do know how to interpret people and their true spirit."
        So in my time off, I shall think of you and all of the sweet comments you have given me and I will always know in my heart that you are one of my TRUE friends.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I can assure you 100%, Ken, that there was no undertone in what I said.  I am an Australian, we are famous for saying what we mean, and not cushioning bad news in soft words.  In fact I have told people HubPages is the wrong place for them in the past, so why would I hesitate to say so in your case, if I believed it to be true?  Don't let your imagination run away with you!

We are trying to give you helpful advice and I hope you will take it.  Even your friends are telling you that you're saturating them with too many Hubs too fast, and that one Hub a week is enough.  If you write more articles and poems than that, then find some other communities to join and share them on, so the load is spread.  That will have the added benefit of reaching a wider audience and making more friends (without risk of upsetting them).

Also by the way, GettyImages are not free to use.  They are free to embed but not to copy.  You can't use the embed feature on HubPages so that means they are not legal to use here - and GettyImages are one of the companies that are fiercest with their demand letters!

Marisa,
            I first, thank you for being so sincere.
            Secondly, would you "please," put yourself in my place?
            I obviously have not been on HP and know as much as you. I already admitted that in front of all who were on this forum.
            I checked with Editors at HP about using MY OWN digital photos and they said, "No problem," with our without credit line.
            Plus, I also found at least 22 FREE for HUB USE photo sites that I did check and find out that I CAN use their stock for hubs.
            So in ONE month when I return, I will hope to write ONE hub a month if I come back.  That all depends on what the editor I chatted with on HP says to me in a reply I am awaiting tomorrow.
            I must confess that you have a loyal following of good people and you are all very talented writers.
            One question: Were you intentionally NOT even saying that I was a decent writer? I have nothing left of my own after this "discussion" and now you are reassuring me that you were only saying what you feel.
            Sure I will comply with what my Friends say about saturating them with hubs.
            But all in all, I said to you and the rest that I do get what you are saying.
            And did not fight what you said. Just how you said it.
            I may not be in your league as a writer. I won't compete for any price.
            I was happy with my own style and way of presenting my topics. Happy. That was my goal, but second only to making my followers have a little time of peace and laughter.
            I do enjoy my abstract/poetry (and I checked. This term is CORRECT.)
            Like I said in a sentence or two above this one. I do not have much left so in my month off I am going to, well, I think I just may keep that information to myself.
            I am not  opening myself up for more of this type of discussion again.
            You and your friends keep writing your own hubs and being successful.
            And I guess what hurts the worst is that for five years, and even this editor remarked that "I" was one of their best, so that did make me feel better, is that I honestly thought that I was in the top tier of hubbers like you.
            Obviously I was not.
            But I am NOT leaving no matter what you or your friends say to me.
            This is how I truly feel.
            Thanks for listening.

1. profile image0
              threekeysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Taking a break or doing different kinds of things can be just the panacea we need. Have a wonderful break Kenneth.

I will. Now you and the rest of the people on this forum can party like it's 2099.
                Just a parting line of humor.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Ken, I still don't understand - where, in all my posts, have I uttered ONE WORD of criticism about your writing?   Can you find one sentence?  No.

I have not read your Hubs so I am not qualified to make any judgment at all about your writing.  It may be wonderful, it may be awful, I do not know.  ALL I have addressed is your frequency of publishing, and your use of photos.  Nothing else.  Please stop being so thin-skinned and imagining slights that do not exist.

Marisa,
                If you haven't read any of my hubs, then how can you be qualified to tell me about my frequency of publishing? I would though, honestly speaking only as the lower class hubber than I am, be glad if you would have given me (threw me a bone as it were) ONE good comment about ONE thing I published. Not a GREAT comment. I gave up on that years ago.
                I have already exhausted the phrase "I surrender." So now what else do you choose to advise me about?
                And assuming, not documenting the proof that as you say, I am think-skinned is not, in my opinion, a very professional way to talk to a lower class hubber.
                How would you like it if these same people who are with you in agreeing on my flaws and faults, were to say that to you?
                I do hope that you have a good day and I do ask you one favor: If you are a praying person, please pray for me that one day I will be as knowledgeable and talented as you are. Not sarcasm. Just sincere truth. You have to admit that when I am beat. I admit it.

1. theraggededge profile image97
                  theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"A lower class hubber"? For goodness sake, Ken, you seem to be having a one-man pity party. This is a load of self-indulgent, masochistic codswallop.

It is clear to everyone else that Marissa was trying to help you, based on the information given in the thread. For you to take what she says and twist into some sort of put-down, or suggestion to leave HP, is beyond comprehension.

theraggededge,
                    You are surely entitled to your opinion, but I humbly disagree with your description of the situation I am having.
                    Is Marisa an employee of HubPages?
                    Okay. Now to tell you, I get it. I have surrendered even defending my points to Marisa, Jodah, threekeys and anyone else who might have helped her help me.
                    And no. I am not as you say a one man pity party. I was merely telling the hard truth. I have NOT got a college education or a degree in journalism much less an IQ to write home about. I do not mind telling the world how lacking that I am. I had rather tell the truth and be finished with it than live in a cloud of false confidence which I was doing until all of this talk came up.
                    But no more.
                    When I do return, I will try to follow Marisa's advice or at least do my best to follow it to the letter. This is pretty much all that I can do.
                    Thanks for the input.

I will let you know, if you can quote me the posts where people are listing your flaws and faults.  I can't think of any.  All I can see is people advising you about two specific mistakes you are making - posting too often and using illegal photos.

Neither of those is a flaw or a fault in your character.  They are honest mistakes which you made because you were not aware they could cause problems.  We all make mistakes, it's only human. Why do you keep thinking it's some kind of reflection on you?

There's no need to take a break and there's no need to be offended.  All you need to do is cut back to posting one Hub a week, make sure you comment on the Hubs of people who comment on yours, and use photos from the free photo sites or your own work.  That's all.  Easy.  Why are you making it so hard?

Marisa,
                    I am not  one to make excuses. So I suppose the bottom line is that I told MizBejabbers on one of these comments that I do love to write. But since Feb. 11, I do it and other activiites in my life to keep from going insane or even taking my life due to the death of my only daughter.
                    I am not a sob story man. Never was, but am honest with you. And I must conclude that THIS is the warmest comment you have given me.
                    Thank you sincerely.
                    I did read one of your hubs--one  and did leave a comment on it. "How to Get Readers for Your Hubs," where you talked about back links.
                    I was severely impressed at your amount of followers versus your articles. Wow. 98 articles and almost 3000 followers.
                    And to think. One of the people that was at me the other day was making that I have so many hubs opposed to the amount of followers. Fact is, and I did try to tell her. I devote one day a week to choosing a list of my followers to just read and comment on their hubs to get to know them better.
                    This is not anyone's fault for not bringing it up but mine.
                    Why am I taking this hard? I can only give you this honest answer: I take pride in my hubs although they, and I do know, that they are not as interesting as yours, but I do take pride in them.
                    And yes, I am taking a month break to give my followers time to see what I have really published. Plus, I do not expect any one of them to leave a comment.
                    So I will call this my peace offering to you, Marisa as I would hope that even with my faults and flaws, you and I are still friends.
                    There is not one thing wrong about me telling you that your work is far better than mine. It is a gesture of humility. Yes, I am capable of that trait too.
                    But anyway. I do apologize for anything that offended you. I really do. I hate messing up. I hate mistakes..
                    And when I return, NO more illegal, as you say, photos.
                    Must ones I am going to ask for a written agreement from the site before I use their photos and let them know my name and reason.
                    And I will be using my own photos.
                    Peace is great. And peace and love to you, Marisa.

Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

One more thing - you mention that you can use photos from Pixabay and other sites because they say you're allowed to.  Yes, that's what I told you!

To quote my original post on this subject:

Ken, the rule with photos online is that ALL photos on ALL sites are copyright. If the site is happy for people to use them, there will be a statement on the site saying so. If there is no statement it's illegal to use the photos""

So you've found those sites which are happy for people to use their photos and they have a statement on their site saying so.  That doesn't contradict what I said, it confirms it.

1. makingamark profile image70
      makingamarkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

One of the sites Ken mentioned in the other thread was Getty Images.

I copied out the first paragraph of the terms and conditions which indicates extremely clearly that not all images are free to use.

2. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think the advice you have received was never meant to hurt but rather to protect you from getting sued by someone for using their images.   

I only use my own images and always take them specifically for my writing here.  If I don't have the right images, I don't write about that subject.

I never worry if fellow writers don't read my work.  I am much more concerned about google traffic and making sure that only people who  read my work want to see it.   For instance, I belong to a couple of felting sites on facebook but I don't mind if they don't comment either.  My stats tell me if they are being read as do my earnings on HubPages.

I have an idea which might be helpful to you.  If you think it is a bad one I won't be offended either.  I think that sometimes we caught up in a rut and this might be the time for you to re-invent yourself:)

I know you make bird boxes and I bet they are great.  Have you considered photographing your efforts and showing people how to make them?   Write some  woodworking Tutorials for a change or even a few on the birds which inhabit them?  Branch out a little and have some fun doing it.  You might be glad you did:}

You might even find that you are might be more successful doing so.

No need to take any of this personally but sometimes a change is as good as a holiday.

sallybea,
        Thank you sincerely for your kind words. I appreciate you and how you commented to me in such an understanding tone.
        Thanks and be safe.

1. sallybea profile image96

You are very welcome Kenneth.

sallybea,
            One more thing. Your idea about my birdhouses was nice and very good. In fact, I am putting together a hub with digital photos of my own making that will show you and others on HP what I do when I am not on here.
            Maybe in hubs in the future, I might show some of the shortcuts that I have discovered that has helped me turn out a lot more work.
            Thank you, sweet friend.

I am pleased that you thought it a good idea.  I know that birdhouses are much enjoyed by everyone, so too are tricks of the trade.   Check out Pinterest for loads of inspiration.  I know I love it.  I hope you do too.

sallybea, sure will. I appreciate YOUR kindness.

3. Icankbelandean profile image61
    Icankbelandeanposted 7 years ago

Hi Kennet..I like your post keep in touch.

Icankbelandean . . .Thank YOU. Will do.

4. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 7 years ago

Jean I feel for your experience! Whats so beautiful about you is how you share your heart here , many may not say what is ailing them , but I am sure you have spoken for many. HP is more then just a business for writing , you meet the real people behind HP and their hubs sure like Clint Eastwood, you have the good , the bad, the ugly, then you just have some one above that that we can be upbuilt from, even have a good laugh ! Kenneth is appreciated that he is good therapy for many.
    I hope your health gets better and I truly hope to keep seeing your name on HP just like kenneth.

5. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 7 years ago

I'd like to make it clear that in no way was I attacking Kenneth as a person, only the tone and content of his post. In particular, the part about calling himself a 'lower class hubber'. He's been here a long time and the volume of work he produces puts me to shame. He has no need to adopt a stance of inferiority. However, Marissa is completely right about the mis-use of images, and her advice to Ken should be something he takes to heart and puts into practice - both with new and existing hubs. Getting landed with a legitimate bill for using photos without permission would come as a shock, I'm sure.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Thank you, raggededge.  That's exactly what I was trying to do and I am very upset that people seem convinced I've been telling Ken he should leave, or calling him stupid or having a low IQ - I challenge anyone to find anything like that in any of my posts. 

To get an award as most helpful Hubber one minute and then get told I'm a bitter 90 year old schoolmarm the next is a shock.

6. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 7 years ago

hmm This was uncomfortable to read. Hang in there, Kenneth. There comes a time for us as hubbers to let things go. The need to have the last word, the need to be "right," takes away from acknowledging each other's positions and feelings and leaving it there. Let empathy, compassion, and acceptance dictate how we relate to each other in our HP community. Peace to all.

1. Jodah profile image90

Well said Jan.

+++

++++

2. kenneth avery profile image80

Thanks, Jan.

1. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)