How Do We Improve This Community? What Changes Are Needed?

Jump to Last Post 1-43 of 43 discussions (108 posts)
  1. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

As writers we are generally creative people. There are many qualities that make up the personalities of creative people.

What special qualities can you contribute to improve our forums and community in general?

Are you 'Put Off' by any specific issues, walk outs, tantrums, religious or political threads, negative remarks etc. etc.?

1. Eric Graudins profile image59
      Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't have a problem with most things, but the latest crop of hubbers who make hundreds of crappy postings everywhere are getting to be a bit tiresome. If they were on my forum they wouldn't last long.

@Mark: snags are a bit burnt! And is the bacon raw - or is it from Maccas, with texta-coloured grill marks lol ??

Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Which one of you said that Eric? I would like to agree with him big_smile

That message was broadcast in Stereo cool

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

You have to burn English sausages because there is no meat in them (only fat, gristle and used beer mats or old newspapers), and I suppose to a Yank the bacon would be considered raw. My wife has never understood why English bacon is not crispy. sad

3. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

An old post of yours Eric about average Forum posts might do the trick. If Hubpages set a limit of 25 posts a day to the Forum that would kill the latest crop, which is way over the top !

2. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im not sue I have any good qualities to contribute, although I have been told I have a nice smile. Perhaps that is usefull somehow?

I am not put off by much of anyything, although I would feel really awful if I said anything to make someone else feel bad.

I think hubpages is pretty great as it is. I guess, if there was a way to actully thru the computer send food, so I could have Mark's Breakfast on my desk, that would be an improvment!

Well have a look at your profile smile there are 111 people who think you have plenty to contribute along with your smile big_smile

1. profile image0

awww. thanks.  big_smile

2. Pamda Man profile image58
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Either a) Remove the atheists, or b) Remove the theists.

If not, then remove the religion forums.

1. jiberish profile image79
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unless something happened in the last few days, freedom of speech is still alive.  Rule of thumb, if you don't like what you see, turn the channel, don't read it, pass it up, block it.  The forums are a good way to interact with other Hubbers, I like it just as it is.

1. profile image0
        annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you 100%

3. profile image0
    Sidney Rayneposted 14 years ago

Well I don't feel it is fair to censor any possibly controversial topics under the premise that the conversation may head south. We are after all just human (Jury still out on a few of ya) and everyone is both entitled to their own opinions as well as possessing varied viewpoints on certain subjects. Why should this forum not be representative of the world outside of here?

However...in regards to your question. I feel that beyond an initial slip-up in becoming involved in a rather unfortunate and controversial argument...I have an open mind and would rather learn what others have to share than stamp my boots expressing my views rather they are deemed correct or otherwise. I think of myself as a very rational individual as well...and in conjunction with the large amount of other rational members here there is an ability to streamline some of the more controversial topics that become counter-intuitive.

You don't like the debates that revolve around a certain topic...don't go inside. I avoid any discussions relating to religion and politics simply due to the conflicting and argumentative nature that resides within these topics. I have seen enough of these conversations turn venomous throughout my life to know there is no point in involving myself in a topic that will essentially never end nor have a finite point.

If somebody actually wants to know my views on certain subjects...they are welcome to ask and I will be more than happy to oblige...but to engage in this type of world in a public platform remains to be seen as beyond futile from a personal standpoint.

4. Pamda Man profile image58

Kill the Pope. Everything's solved.

5. Pamda Man profile image58

Consequences after the assassination of the Pope.

Christians riot.
    Christians start a religious war.
    Christians vs. non-Christians.
    Either side win.
    No more debates.
    Peace.

Working backwards, since killing the Pope gives you peace, having a Pope gives you trouble. So, we should kill the Pope because he gives us trouble.

1. manlypoetryman profile image82
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What in the world are you talking about?

2. beautyrose profile image61
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So you become a criminal. I'm going to put you in jail. Don't kill the pope we Catholics love him.

6. Pearldiver profile image67

Sidney ... Good Points.. Thank you.

7. Pearldiver profile image67

Interesting display of personal attributes Pam Da .. hmm

8. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I'm beginning to totally understand why authors should have to be over 18 to join Hubpages...

Hi Sue big_smile Are you referring to Chrono Years or Cerebral Age?

2. beautyrose profile image61
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Panda's childish attitude is real like nuisance.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

And the pot calls the kettle black. lol

Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are right. I've gone too far. This one wasn't funny at all. I just realized how stupid I was by posting that.

Thanks for the enlightenment. And this is where I should say goodbye. This is a very good mistake. I learnt a lot from this one. Goodbye. I will return, but you won't be seeing me for a long time.

1. alekhouse profile image73
          alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OK, cool...........

3. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
        Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't you think that there should be someone with a childish attitude in the forums to keep them lively and alive... Alright sometimes it hurts some people but this guy has his own aura of humor.

Definitely not. Someone or more than one with a sense of humor would do nicely. But childish? Aren't we adults here?

9. Uninvited Writer profile image78

Maybe it should be cerebral age...but that would lose too many members wink

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol luv that wit

was thinkin similar things

actually pamda ,I like you , but in smaller doses smile, I know , I know you probably feel the same way bout me...ahhhh
      things could always be worse I spose...

Pearl back to your question and its a good one.

I tend to agree with Sidney and share similar veiws now , specially with regard to the Religious type threads. So often they begin well , then become so frenic or dare I say stupid lol.

I think we seem to swing between fighting and bizaree goffiness so once again probably reflective on how we are as a real community ( at times)..

Maybe hubpages needs 'streets' and 'roads' like The Sims and we live or are evicted (lol) according to our behavior.

Definately it should be welcoming and fun smile

Some forums have moderators , that sounds an ok option too.

Thanks EK... Good to get a Kiwi's perspective smile
        So you are an exponent of Latte Art too? hmm
        A Milk Stretcher and a Boilup Expert.... Cool big_smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76

I most certainly can stretch the milk, and know arabica from instant.
          Trained by Lucianno himself (NZ Barista Champ) wee cafe down there on Moorhouse Ave(ChCh)
          Boil-up Knowledge is an inherited thang , or wild pigs thang,

I reckon it would be great next to the Mexicans stand here in the Deep South. Viva la Maori  lol

Colours

Remember at school we had colours or houses ( my sons school uses Greek names Alpha ,Beta , Gamma etc)

But if when we signed up ( though once here ,we would have to be allocated them) and under our profile pic/avatar it would show which colour/group we belonged too.

Theh if someone acts out , rest of the team brings them back into line .

Lots of interesting ideas could spin off from that single idea.

Friendly competitions , bonus points, bonus rewards.

Just my thoughts today smile

P.S Ron ,although your Jesus muffin is the cutest ,lol pancakes are my 'to do for brekky' butter , maple syrup n runny eggs , ohhhh its better than sex lol

10. Pearldiver profile image67

Change is Good big_smile But in reality.. Are they not lost already?

11. Uninvited Writer profile image78

It's too early for a philosophical debate...I haven't had breakfast yet big_smile

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/assets/coffee%20&%20muffin.jpg

1. Jane@CM profile image61
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pass the muffins please.

I agree with UW, the age issue.  However, you can plug in any birth date as we all know, to be older than you are.

I also agree with Sidney, stay away from the threads that just don't fit your style or are heading in the wrong direction fast.

I'm all for a good discussion, but when name calling and finger pointing, swearing and abusive posts start rolling through, I'm out.

Sticking to the topic at hand would be nice too.  I think a good many of us are grown ups and want to discuss, and not have the forum topic plagued by posts that are irrelevant to the topic.

Lastly, it would be nice if the "newbies" who are serious writers are talked about like we don't exist here, or told to stay out of a conversation until we've been around three months or so.  The advice I received & have seen it throughout a good share of threads, is to get involved in the forums, but what is the point if newbies are not acknowledged or told to go away until we've been here a certain amount of months?

A PM system would be nice, as a good many of us have our email turned off.  It would be so easy to discuss back & forth via a PM system.  It would also help us newbies to quickly PM the experts to ask advice.  PM's can be turned off.

My two cents...off to eat my muffin big_smile

About your muffin....  Hurry up before someone else does smile
          And your points are very tasty too!! big_smile  Thanks Jane

2. Eaglekiwi profile image76

ooola la I can make cappuchinos like that one smile

12. Uninvited Writer profile image78

Mmmm, looks delicious...

13. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Dude, that ain't a breakfast. This is a breakfast. big_smile

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/English-Breakfast.jpg

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I could so eat that right now, a muffin ain't no kind of breakfast, but this, mmmmmmmm.

Too Late Mate!!  You can only lick your screen!! smile

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
          Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm licking, I'm licking!!!! big_smile

* Licking did no good sad , I'm off out to get me some bacon and snags, this is gonna be just the ticket.

snags=bangers?

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59

For how large a village? yikes

14. Uninvited Writer profile image78

Oh boy, I feel my arteries clogging. That breakfast is missing the black pudding smile

Unfortunately, unless I go out...breakfast is an English muffin, bacon and cheese

15. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

An example of a wonderful, funny high quality post.
    The wit, the humour, the ....... ?

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/18631

And it looks like more wonderful residents are being attracted to the wonders of hubpages
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/18316

1. profile image49
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree, a limit would kill that stone dead !

Yep Agree + it fits UW's point

Example of a wonderful hubber. The intelligence comparable to other lifeforms.

16. Uninvited Writer profile image78

I keep looking at that picture. I never should have changed my mind about buying baked beans on Saturday smile

Yep they can be harsh on your wetsuit smile

17. Eric Graudins profile image59

No, I don't agree with a limit on the number of posts a day.

If there's a good discussion going on in a couple of threads you could easily reach 25 posts in a couple of hours.

Why should those taking part in a proper conversation be limited due to the excesses of a few morons, who would just create another 50 or so accounts and keep causing the same havoc?

1. Pamda Man profile image58

I agree. big_smile

18. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Mark that breakfast pcture was too cruel.

Living in a city the size of Lisbon, which is (I suspect) built on cafés - there isn't one single establishment that serves up a real English brekkie.

Now before anyone points this one out, I know this isn't the UK. And I love the gastromic fare you can find (and subsequently gobble) in Lisbon.

But there's nowt quiye like an egg and bacon brekkie. And the amount of tourists here that are english and american is astonishing.

Someone could make a right killing.

I can't even make one at home. They don't quite understand others' idea of bacon and sausage. It looks like bacon and sausage.

But is nearer to pretend than actual. And as for good old baked beans - they don't exist.

Sometimes, after a hard night out, all that will do is a good english breakfast.

Well Froggie, Do they sell frypans over there?
      Nothing from stopping you from cooking your own lol

And maybe get a little cart with a gas cylinder, and sell English Breakfasts to the passers-by?

1. frogdropping profile image76
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Eric - I'd have to push the chestnut sellers off the pavements and into the roads first ...

And Pearl - I don't know. Haven't looked. I keep saying to folks I know why doesn't someone open an English caff??? Two women opened one that's based on German/Austrian food and it's very popular. Decorated in keeping with their home nations etc.

*going to look at rental prices*

Cos I've got some cash coming smile

2. Pearldiver profile image67

What are the commercial lease prices like?
      What to open an all day breakfast bar?
      I'm into that if we can do pizzas as well.. smile

19. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Oh and in answer to the OP - some folks just need to grow up and get over themselves.

And others need to simply think about how they word their original post.

That would solve a few problems quite nicely smile

20. Pamda Man profile image58

I find this funny that this is in the Sandpit. smile

1. frogdropping profile image76

And PM they should open one just for you. And call it the Bear Pit.

Based upon your activity, you're a forum all on your own ... big_smile

Why not Panda Pit? Alliteration always wins. big_smile

21. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

@ Ron - you saying I'm fat?

@ the frog - Me too. Part of my recent trip to the UK was for real beer and breakfasts. sad I have thought the same thing here, but the other type of frogs think a breakfast like this is a sin. It is probably against the law anyway. They have laws for just about every eventuality. It will be worded, "Attempting to damage French culture by culinary terrorism," or some such thing.

@ Eric - English bacon is different and it is just not the same as the one's you get in a good English kaff. sad

@ the panda - filling up the forums with garbage threads like the one Eric posted is not a good thing. smile

It's not. smile

2. frogdropping profile image76

Mark - I doubt there'd be much of a problem here regarding opening such a place. Have money, fill forms in, jobs a good 'un. Takes maybe and hour or two down in the 'business do it all' spot downtown.

Business opening here is quite a cute little practice smile

And the portuguese have lots of laws. Just that no one actually takes too much notice of them.

22. lindagoffigan profile image59
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

Hubpages could be improved by distinguishing between answers and forum activity.  Some answers should be in  the forum and vice versus. 

Also if there is a subject on discussion, the participants should stay on topic. The muffins pictures are enticing but is  off topic on ways to improve hubpages.

Diversity in forum posts and new users should be invited to post as a part of the membership.  Writers are not always proactive joining the forum and may need an invitation as most join hubpages initially on their own  self interests.  Also there are a lot of readers who are not posting and they are seeing the same  names and may think that they would be intruding with a post.  This is not a thumbs downs on the regulars but an analysis on how to get new posts instead of the readers.

Excellent points Linda.. Thank you for this. smile

23. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

@Pearldiver...thanks! big_smile

24. Pamda Man profile image58

HubPages can be improved first in the your part in the forums. Instead of showing every post I posted, post individual threads that I participated.

It could also improve when the Edit option is always available for people.

Adding a chatroom would be very nice, and a mailing application on HubPages as well.

1. dingdong profile image56
      dingdongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, it won't be good. Imagine how it would be after you edited the post and following replies remain inappropriate(everyone won't be editing).

25. Pearldiver profile image67

Pam Da........ You may go down in both flames and history, for single handedly being responsible for the extinction of pandas; merely for choosing to be completely irrelevant to objective threads. Unless of course Your Objective is to be a Wally; in which case your reputation is growing; Though I suspect only for the period of time that the Wallyship is politely tollerated. 

In this thread I am asking for Objective and Constructive Input.  If you do not have the ability to respect that; then kindly desist from participating.

PEARLDIVER: I WOULD SUGGEST THAT

1.WE ENGAGE IN COMRADERIE AND MEANINGFUL AND APPROPRIATE RESPONSES THAT ADDRESS THE TOPIC OR PRIEMISE OF THE THREAD.

2.WE START THREADS THAT ENCOURAGE INTELLIGENT DISCUSSION, BUT DO NOT DELIBERATELY ATTEMPT TO HOOK PAST RABBLE ROUSERS.

3. WE START INTERESTING DEBATES THAT CAN BE BENEFICIAL TO ALL OR MOST, AT LEAST SOME (Remembering, of course, what Abe Lincoln said).)

Ummm I would agree; but for UpperCaseManship smile would tend to undermine the message. hmm

26. alekhouse profile image73
    alekhouseposted 14 years ago

SORRY WASN'T FINISHED  & sorry about uppercase, please give me a break here. Can't see too well

PEARLDIVER: I WOULD SUGGEST THAT

1.WE ENGAGE IN COMRADERIE AND MEANINGFUL AND APPROPRIATE RESPONSES THAT ADDRESS THE TOPIC OR PRIEMISE OF THE THREAD.

2.WE START THREADS THAT ENCOURAGE INTELLIGENT DISCUSSION, BUT DO NOT DELIBERATELY ATTEMPT TO HOOK PAST RABBLE ROUSERS.

3. WE START INTERESTING DEBATES THAT CAN BE BENEFICIAL TO ALL OR MOST, AT LEAST SOME (Remembering, of course, what Abe Lincoln said).)

Yep.. I look forward to that alekhouse... How would you suggest you could implement same?

Maybe the fact that you laid it out on the line here, and have piqued the interest of hubbers who frequent the forums (so that they can see that there is, hopefully, some agreement and willingness) will be enough to initiate a gradual change. I wouldn't preach to the choir.

27. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

“Also if there is a subject on discussion, the participants should stay on topic. The muffins pictures are enticing but is  off topic on ways to improve hubpages. “

LO

Muffins are the universal communication, and have been deemed appropriate for any topic.

“@ Ron - you saying I'm fat?”

MK

No, you're just a whole lotta man.

I personally enjoy the benefits of a well proportioned muffin!
      The one on this thread was a bit tasted like a Laptop though! smile

So, what kind of changes are YOU looking for PD? (sorry about the caps, but no italics available)

1. dingdong profile image56
          dingdongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Italics are available.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59

Sprinkle your screen with powdered sugar next time.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

That is what my wife says. wink

Yeah, but she's talking about me wink

28. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm taking advantage of this invitation to offer thoughts on how to make the community better by first mentioning my personal preferences (we all like to vent), but then offering thoughts not related to my personal preferences.  I know the post is long and don't assume everyone will want to be bothered reading it.  I would like it if people considered reading from the fifth paragraph down (not including this "introductory note" paragraph):

I would like to see more people participating.  Everyone thinks so differently (sometimes) I think the whole mix of posts can be really entertaining/informative in one way or another.  More participants would add more entertainment/information.  I don't think anyone should worry about trying to keep things "all nice and polite" because that would turn the forum into a bland, white-washed, puppy-dogs-and-daisies fest.  I don't mind that personal attacks are prohibited.  They don't add anything.  A thread can be spirited without attacking people.  Still, I don't think people should act like someone is going to melt if someone else makes a rotten remark to them.

I don't happen to like off-color and crude stuff.  There will be a thread that's going along, either being serious or fun; and all of a sudden someone throws in something that turns it (in my opinion) ugly by being crude.  In the interest of "variety" and different senses of humor, I wouldn't even mind if it happened here or there.  It's when a whole thread gets taken off in that direction; or when that kind of stuff just shows up too much.  I'm not "some religious nut".  I just find too much of this stuff boring and not really appropriate for an "all purpose" forum.

The "sister" of the off-color stuff that ruins a thread is the religious thread/post that goes beyond talking about what one believes and onto telling others they're headed for hell.  When it comes down to it, this kind of thing amounts to a personal attack (or at least an insult).  Saying, "I believe if I drink coffee I'll go to hell," is one thing.  Saying, "You coffee-drinkers are all headed for hell," is another.  I guess where I'd separate the types of religious posts is that I'd be ok with "this is what I believe" or "this is what my religion teaches" but draw the line on factoring in people of other beliefs into the post.  I, personally, would also like to see religious posts have only the words of the contributor; and have all quotations of all religious books eliminated (but that's just me, I know).

I happen to like conversations with substance to them (like the longer posts that show up in "politics"), but I also love the threads that are post after post of people adding foolishness to an already foolish thread.  I think there's room for everything, but I think people need to realize that the HubPages isn't a teen-only site; so a little teen fun is fine, but there's a point where enough is enough.  I don't happen to think people's personal dirty laundry belongs on a forum, but I think that more hurts the Hubber, himself, than anyone else (although, since the forum is a common place for all Hubbers, it does kind of diminish the image of HubPages in general if there's enough of it).

I think people need to lighten up, even when a heated politics or religion (or other) conversation takes place.  It's only a forum.  Most of the people on here are friendly and have a good perspective on how seriously they should take any of it.  Then you have the giant, personal, dramas...  These are the "He-called-me-a-pooh-pooh-head-so-I'm-making-a-big-thing-out-of-it" posts.  Usually, the people who get these going are, themselves, going through some serious personal issues.  I don't think it helps for people to keep these threads going.  I think if we see one of those we need to either skip it, or if we want to be supportive of the person reply with, "I'm sending you an e.mail" (and then take the drama behind the scenes).  That would give the person with the issue support from his friends.  It would move the drama off the forum, so there wouldn't be an invitation for "strangers" (people who don't the Hubber) to be kicking in with inappropriate and often insensitive remarks and then "second-tier" strangers to take the thread in yet more bizarre, insensitive, directions.  It would encourage preserving the dignity of the person with the issue, as well as a minimal level of dignity to the forum.  (It's not that I think any for forum needs to aim for dignity, but when this stuff with troubled people goes on that's where I think aiming for a little dignity may be kind - not to mention creating a little better environment on the forums).  Also, if a new Hubber decides to check out the forums and runs into some of this stuff he's not going to want to participate; so I think it keeps a lot of partipants away.

The way I see it, if all the drama and crisis gets directed toward a behind-the-scenes type of thing; once it all dies down, the troubled Hubber can always do his/her flounce thread with a cooler head.

I think people are free to write as many personal-drama Hubs as they want to, and keep it within their own profile/collection.  While free-for-all, drama threads can be wildly entertaining and amazing for the voyeurs in any of us, I don't think they serve the major participants or the community very well.

1. profile image0

i love this lisa. having read your hub about forums gone wrong i know what this means. i agree!!!!!

yes, yes, yes....Good suggestions Lisa

29. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

HI all. I really like the forum and the fact that there are various threads to jump in and out of. I like the hub challenges and the weekly hub mob. All the people I have come accross on the forums are great. In short I love being part of the hub pages community. I think freedom of speach is important and everyone is entitled to there point of view as long as it's not personal or discriminating. I know you have the milestones but i think you could have hub awards where people can nominate and vote for there favourite hub of the day/week/month?

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a good idea, you should move it to the new suggestions thread.  This is the sandpit and meant for threads that can contiune without end like word games.

1. wrenfrost56 profile image55
        wrenfrost56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, will do.

That's an interesting suggestion LWR.. why would you split the input into this thread by redirecting to another?

Where I positioned the thread to be (in Sandpit) is irrelevant if it works and interesting ideas come from its presence hmm

I would have thought you would have considered that Improvement is (or Should Be) a never ending thread; if the objective of the business is to provide a service beyond competitors!!!

In that respect... Why don't you answer the posted questions here and put some positive grains into the sandpit?

There are already some excellent comments within this thread and thanks to all who have participated so far. smile

Good points and this is a good idea also.  Thank you Wrenfrost.

30. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Lisa HW, I whole heartily agree with your post.

Truthfully, if I had been a first timer here over the weekend and read some of the drama going on here, I would have left immediately.  The drama does need to go behind the scenes.  A bit is okay, but page after page is quite indulgent.  I will not become someone's fan if all I see, page after page in the forum is "woe is me" or continuously spamming the forum.  The forum does give you the "first impression" of a person. 

I agree with free speech also.  I however, draw the line at calling people names or posting their names, only to kick them in the butt (and I'm saying this nicely).

I think the forum does represent its writers.  Yes, we see their personalities and we can make a decision on whether we like them as an author, a person or both. 

I'd offer to everyone to think twice before posting, as it may be someone's first impression of you and could directly affect who wants to become your fan and what type of people you want to attract to your hubs.

Spot On Jane!
      However, in life; many choose to concentrate on endorsing the effects of a poorly made first impression. smile

We have a huge diversity of opinions here; that is a strength that is not always recognised or built on objectively. But the fact that we are willing to communicate with eachother, shows that many of us take pleasure from the opportunity.

So how can we grow that even more?

31. Pearldiver profile image67

alekhouse.. you previously asked what I would like to see as an improvement.

I think it is quite hard for new hubbers that are not so IT savvy.  Even though there is a help section... a lot of confusion still exists (for me). The forums and advice from more senior or more savvy members is generally great, but does not always solve the problem as it may lead to another area of confusion, that you find later.

There is a lot of stumbling involved in the first period of joining.  There are also a great deal of talented people here, who seem to also be very open to help.

For me personally (not being so IT savvy) there are probably 10 things that I need to understand and apply to make this work at a higher level.  Most of those things I could sort out in a few minutes; if I was able to make a phone call for example.

Perhaps we have one or two tech savvy members here that would consider providing direct calling help support. hmm

32. Pearldiver profile image67

Lisa... Well stated as always; but could you please stop apologising for the way you communicate? I have always found you to be objective... And sometimes being objective requires a larger word content! big_smile

33. Eric Graudins profile image59

Great thread Pearldiver.

It has achieved some amazing results.

Thank you Eric & Eric.  I really appreciate that.

There is so much talent here and it doesn't seem to be utilised as much as it (willingly) could be.

One of the key things to do in 'a recession' is to review the resources one has and how to best re-align them to the new situation; to ensure success isn't compromised by the climate.

You can always be looking to 'beat your best' in that regard, no matter what the climate.  Besides, we grow from what we do.
      May as well grow well, by doing what we do well. smile

34. Lisa HW profile image61

denisematt, I don't want people to think I don't enjoy a good, bizarre, forum battle.  A lot of them will have the reader in hysterics.   lol
    Some, though, are uglier than "plain, old, nasty, forum brawling".

A few months ago there was the funniest thread ever; and it was - like - one guy fighting with everyone, and then others jumping in and defending anyone they saw as attacked by this guy.  It went on and on.  smile  I don't know how long it lasted, but time zones meant that people from one part of the world would go to bed, while people from other parts of the world would come in and pick up fighting with this guy.  smile  Maybe I wouldn't find it as hilarious if I went back to read it today, but it was funny because it was all "forum fighting" - nothing serious.  The way it all took place was what made it funny.  Assuming people aren't pulling everyone's leg about some of their unfunny health/mental health conditions, though, some stuff is just too ugly for forums (IMHO).  smile

35. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

I think Hubpages is just great the way it is.

We're all supposedly adults here that should know how to behave in public. The occasional Troll usually is taken care off pretty fast. There is only so much that can be done about and with spam; it's bad tasting stuff any which way you slice it here and everywhere else on the 'net.

No-one is held by the hair and made to join in any controversy. I'm a christian woman with strong beliefs but I do not appreciate religion being rammed down my throat, even in my home I slam the door on anyone wanting to "discuss" their beliefs... therefore I stay away from the religion forum. I'm not into HOT chicky pictures (honestly they do nothing for me) so I do not "read" any of them.

This place, Hubpages, has been a delight from day one for me and I really appreciate what the team has done and is doing for us on a day to day basis. And it never ceases to amaze me that I can actually have friendly chats with the whole world and still have my but in my comfy chair.

We the hubbers are responsible for a big part of the site and definitely make the forum what it is...so everyone chill and share a joke or two, ask questions that you need help with, and if you feel like a brawl its easy to go wrestle a round or two with one of the atheists in the religion forum.

As far as I'm concerned everything is hunky-dory here so why mess with something that is just perfect the way it is... smilesmilesmile
    (because of inflation my 2 cents worth needs to be more like 3 cents Canadian)

36. Lisa HW profile image61

Zsuzsy Bee, I agree that HubPages and its community is a great as it is.  I'm not usually someone who'd ever participate in forums, but this one is one I often leave up in a separate window, no matter else I'm doing on the computer (working).  It's a nice mix of stuff (and, of course, on HubPages, where I have my writing), so it makes a good "little break".

My thoughts about changes in religious post weren't really intended as suggestions to be taken seriously.  They were more, "If I could have things my way this is what I'd like."

My ideas about the other stuff, though, (the grossly off-color stuff - I'm not talking about a couple of quick off-color comments here or there - and the drama that goes deeper than just being a typical forum brawl) were more from the standpoint of how not to make new visitors go away forever because it can look as if the forum is not for grown-ups.

More important than the off-color stuff, though, is that thing with some situation like that over the weekend.   We're grown-ups, and most of us understand the problems people struggle with that can make them more likely to get into fights.  Most of us know someone who takes medications for mental health issues, and we know how medication can suddenly change what it's doing or else how people have their medications change and get unexpected results.  Most of have known someone who struggles with drug or alcohol problems.  Most know someone who just has "emotional struggles" and is more likely to be "set off".

I know someone who has struggled with substance abuse problems, and this person and their family have become kind of used to the occasional "going off the wall".  They take it in stride and sometimes even (sort of) laugh over it once it's done.  At other times, though, this person doesn't feel at all good about what has gone on once whatever "effects" had taken place wear off.

I hope the parties involved in the weekend thing can laugh it off, and I hope they realize that we're all grown-ups here and understand how people struggling with certain types of problems have their "bad days".  Everyone moves on, and that kind of incident doesn't have to be a big deal.  Still, if it were one of my family members or friends in a situation like that I would hope their online friends and anyone else who wanted to be supportive would steer the situation away from the public forum.  When things get to where "they're not funny anymore" I don't think it helps to have all kinds of people who don't seem aware of the potential seriousness of things to be throwing in inane comments and branching the fight out into unrelated foolishness.  It's not that that kind of thing even happens very often, but the minute a "legitimate" mental health crisis is mentioned some adult sensitivity and good sense is in order.  The only reason I've indulged in yet another long post is that I thought if a few people thought my proposed approach makes sense they may adopt in any future crises; or else if someone (maybe a mental health expert) sees that my approach would be wrong, they'd tell us all why and offer the right way to handle this stuff.

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lisa I have no idea of what went on this weekend I was just answering Pearl's question about what changes should be instigated here at Hubpages. What I was trying to say is and sorry for using that old cliche=> if it ain't broke no need to fix it. Hubpages is great just the way it is.
      zs

37. Pearldiver profile image67

I think I put this thread in place to test the waters and be able to evaluate the depth of water in the well wisdom-wise.

This is a very deep well as Zsuzsy Bee is I'm sure pointing out in her previous posts.

The warmth of the water has been explored by everyone who has contributed here and the simple fact so many good suggestions have surfaced, ensures that the depth will always be sustainable.

What that tells me is: There is a great future available here because of the quality of the people who make up the positive attributes of this community.

I'm not suggesting at all that any specific changes are required. Rather the context is one, not too dissimilar to that which Lisa has taken: What if I, the individual contributor to HP as a whole; had the chance to make a change here?

By asking such questions, we all become aware of the health of the well, the wisdom of our associates and the potential growth opportunities that can improve the environment and thus ensure the measured sustainability of the well.

We have a great resource that drives the success here. That is the people and the direction that we collectively move in. This is a special place that evolved from a special dream; and I guess in my own way; I'm also trying to say Thank You.

38. goodfriendiam profile image60
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

I enjoy the fact, that we have freedom on here to say what ever we choose, whether it is an attack, a compliment, gossip, dirty jokes, and everything in between. I believe if hubpages began to monitor, to closely, then I would no longer be here. I enjoy the freedom to be able to speak my mind, this is exactly why I like it here. This is no personal attack, but take it as you like it or as you will, for I know you will anyway. But if you feel like you are being attacked. Guess what? You have the option of not replying and playing that persons game. If you so choose play into it. Then, guess what? Deal with it, or find a playpen and crawl back in it. Some folks come here, for a variety of reasons, some are trying to convert to their religion because they really believe theirs is the only way, while others need others just to make it another day,and still others come and take out their baggage on someone else, because they don't know how to deal with what life throws at them. Their are some that are just down right lonely, and this is their only companion. But regardless of why their here, their here, because they to like the freedom. Does that mean I will become their best friend, maybe, maybe not. Does that mean they will convince me to their belief, not likely. But I choose, to talk, or overlook. So I'm sorry, if I sound cold, and insensitive, but I like the freedom we all have here. And I would not want to jeopardize that. Just because a few can't handle when the water starts to get to hot. Something else I would like to add, is the fact that, yes while their are those that, are unstable (which I use to be) and can fly high, or low, at any given moment. We can not hold another responsible for that persons, highs or lows. It is the individuals responsibility solely on how he reacts to any given moment, period.

39. Pearldiver profile image67

I agree that each individual must at some point in their life; take responsibility for the negatives in their life, irrespectve of how much they may Choose To live in denial.

There are so many angry people in positive environments and the adage "Misery will always seek company." always shows its relevance if you listen to their message.  The problem for most of those parties is that they generally don't hear themelves or choose to hear others. hmm

In Bumble Town; there are also angry people; but thankfully there are also many who can laugh at themselves and make the adjustment.

Perhaps in our forums when someone 'nuts off' or carries on like a fool; rather than buying into the BS and feeding their objective; we can merely refer to them as being LTP. smile

'Lost The Plot!' By merely posting; "You Have LTP mate!" That simple term alone generally makes the party look at themself before the respond.  It really Does Work.... Moreso, when it comes from more than one person in the thread. hmm

40. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

LTP is at least to the point.

41. Lisa HW profile image61

I wasn't suggesting anyone monitor what's going on here more.  I was hoping that by mentioning my idea about what people do in those relatively uncommon incidents when someone is (as far as it appears) struggling with a serious medical problem, others may take the suggestion and maybe not fuel things the next time that kind of thing happens.

As far as the other stuff goes, I wasn't suggesting anyone monitor or change anything either.  I interpreted the question as asking for our version of things we, personally, kind of wish were a little different (even if we have no particular wish or expectation that anything be changed just because we sort of wish some things were a little different).

goodfriendiam, you're right that we can't be held responsible for others' highs and lows; but when they have a medical issue the way some people do they cannot be held responsible for their highs and lows either.  It does seem to me that a little community awareness may be good.  If someone sees this kind of thing starting they can either steer the person toward private communication (e.mail, IM, whatever) or just add a simple, "Sorry you feel bad.  Hope you feel better tomorrow."   Or, add nothing and leave.  Nobody who doesn't know the person or doesn't want to be bothered getting involved doesn't have to; and the people who would like to be supportive of someone in trouble could be (I'd think) more appropriately supportive in private.

For all I know the people involved in the incident I have in mind are probably laughing about it today.  You mentioned having gone through a time of instability.  I have not.  I've been stable all my life and pretty much always the "only sober one at the party".  Maybe that has made me over-estimate the importance of preserving personal dignity a little too much, and maybe it's made me too much a self-appointed "caretaker" of others I see as "in trouble".  In the meantime, the length of my posts here are doing nothing for the preservation of my own sense of dignity, so that's it.....                hmm

1. goodfriendiam profile image60
      goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, I to at one time, felt it was my duty as a friend, as a daughter, as a woman in general to give unsolicited advice. So I know were you are coming from. You want to reach out to them, and there is a way to do so. And you pointed that very fact out, just a hey I see your feeling bad. I think is great to show compassion, and allowing the person to see that you see, they are depressed, or what ever. But I think we need to stop there unless they ask for help. I agree with pearldiver, in that people are in denial, and when they are there is know amount of talking that will do any good. On the contrary, it could actually throw them further into there problem, which leads me to say again that it is still  not the persons fault that is trying to sincerely help, even if they don't know how. In the end it still remains the responsibility of the person that needs help, because they need to figure it out for themselves or ask for help. We as human beings need one another, but most of all, what we need is just acceptance, for what we are going thru. No more and no less. thanks

42. Pearldiver profile image67

big_smile or "Leave This Place." smile

43. Pearldiver profile image67

Thanks Lisa smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)