Kasich called for centrist approach, saying those w/extreme views ...

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 7 years ago

On State of the Union Gov John Kasich. in part. "called for a centrist approach, saying those with extreme views on both sides of the aisle needed to be 'marginalized' ..."

Do You Agree?

The context is at http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/26/politics/ … index.html

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't know that we can agree to agree as to what is considered centrist......

My Esotericposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Centrists are guided by ideology, not driven buy it
        Centrists care more about Country than Party
        Centrists look at and plan for the long-term
        Centrists will compromise
        Centrists think before opening their mouths
        Centrists can articulate rational logic to support their position
        Centrists avoid hyperbole or worse.

How is that for starters?

1. Misfit Chick profile image74
          Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is great, this is how centrists think & work. Maybe this is yet another silver lining to Trump's dark clouds. I'm not so sure people realized that there was a HUGE middle-of-the-road crowd; and that the majority of us don't operate within the ideals of extremists on either political side. Its like most extremists can only see & hear other extremists (mostly likeminded, but they also hear the direct-opposite 'extremist' force - its what their arguments are based on). And since they are often the loudest, they must assume that they are in the majority.

That actually goes along with the Law of Attraction: we attract the essense of 'what we believe' to us; and can't hear or see anything within our individual realities that isn't within the frequency that we have chosen - unless we make a choice to reach beyond it. I can't begin to understand any extremist, nor do I want to.

That Trump needed to be including Dems & Independents in hammering out an alternative to Obamacare was obvious from the beginning. Dems certainly didn't get Ocare through without at least some GOP cooperation. It has been one of my biggest problems with Trump's presidency (behavioral issues aside). He seems to think that he's a dictator instead of leader of a diverse democracy. He's done that with a lot of issues; and dang, we can only HOPE that he learned this lesson, now. Its something he should have known from the beginning; and this is yet another example of how inexperienced & amazingly-clueless he really is.

For one: just having a majority in Congress doesn't automatically hand you every outrageous thing you want on a silver platter - especially if some in your own party don't entirely respect you being in that office. #NeverTrump.

Can you get more moderate 'swing state' GOP reps to agree with hardcore GOP conservatives? If you can't get them to agree, how can you involve the rest of the political parties? You can't, you can only strongarm the entire country. I'm really glad to see it hasn't worked in this case.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13466429_f1024.jpg

2. Credence2 profile image78
          Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

How is that for starters?

That is OK for a start, but when was the last time you have seen a moderate Republican, you just as well go on the lookout for a Passenger Pigeon?

I believed that Obama was a centrist and spent a lot of political capital trying to reach across the isle to bring the GOP along on many issues, that was all for naught.

So, now the gloves are off. The GOP accused Obama of ramming the ACA down their throats, but they were sure prepared to pass off on AHCA without any input from the Democrats.

They and their policies have moved starkly to the right from the relative moderation of a Bob Dole or George Herbert Walker Bush.

There is no moderation in denying the President his Constitutional obligation to fill the vacant SC at the death of Scalia. This is unprecedented and until serious inroads are made by the GOP to include Democrats and show respect there will be NO Kumbaya, since after all they are in control of everything now and the initiative should be taken by them.

There are a few moderate Rs around.  Sen Collins for one and Rep Dent is another.  But most of them were "primaried" out by gerrymandering with the rise of the Tea Party anti-Federalists.  That was the fate of conservative Ds as well, except they got beat reactionary Rs (or joined the Rs out right).  For the most part, I am not sorry these Southern racists left.

Another thing about Centrists:  Centrists don't reason with soundbites, they use logic based on research instead.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well My Esoteric, I did read your link, (kudos for not posting a naked link - I would not have followed it otherwise), and except for the "marginalized" part - as a general broad brush statement, I agree with him. I think the progress and successful governance of our nation requires a Centrist approach. But I bet you already knew that would be my response. ;-)

GA

Yep :-)

3. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

it's sad that such a simple and realistic idea is news.  This is why I've always liked Kasich.

2. MizBejabbers profile image87
    MizBejabbersposted 7 years ago

I read your link, just so I'd know where you were coming from, but I've always believed in a centrist approach, and call myself a middle-of-the-roader. When I was growing up (I'm an old lady now) it was sometimes difficult to tell the difference between the two parties. They were purported to have some idealistic differences, such as warhawks and peaceniks, but in theory either party kept the welfare of the country in mind and worked well while at the helm. The two parties today are proving that extremist views from either side of the fence are not serving the country, but their own ideals. BTW, I like your verbal picture of "centrist".

1. Misfit Chick profile image74
      Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I remember when things were like this, too - it really did used to be a LOT more difficult to tell the difference between GOP & Dem supporters; plus, they didn't hate each other the way so many do, now. For the most part, we have the media to thank for this, too. We didn't start to hate each other until people like Rush Limbaugh & Bill Meyer came onto the scene to make millions by insulting people and intentionally digging divisive canyons between us. Watch 'The Brainwashing of My Dad' - there are some splashes of it up on YouTube. I watched it on Amazon. Its amazing what a common story it is.

People like Rush & Trump (and Bill, the 'brainwashing' goes both ways - although the Bill-types popped up to push back against peeps like Rush) have been tearing entire families apart for at least a couple decades with their extremist BS - and that is uncool beyond the telling of it. No, Trump didn't ride a wave of something 'new' into the oval office, he just saw a good opening and leapt at it (being the great 'businessman' that he supposedly is). Plus, he is extremely suseptible to the hate that has been manifesting, as well. He likes it, and he likes to use it to his advantage. He's a master of manipulation. Lucky for us, he seriously sucks at hiding his tactics, LoL!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13466449.jpg

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13466452.jpg

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13466453.jpg

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13466455.jpg

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13466458.jpg

3. profile image52
    MariRogersposted 7 years ago

YES! I do favor a moderate-centrist approach.
    Glad to hear that there are a few responsible voices out there calling for a return to the tradition of moderation and balanced thinking.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

A moderate , centrist approach is NO longer a possibility when  the following Two things have happened , IN ANY COUNTRY , IN ANY POLITICAL SPECTRUM ,     For one , The compromising of news media integrity and anyone that denies that the mainstream media in America  isn't compromised  , is a fool .   .... Two , When the  compromising of the most important parts of the federal government  like the DOJ , FBI , CIA , ATF , IRS , have become so politicized  as to chose one ideology over   the center ; then there is a huge problem .

Why does anyone think that the voices of the outside margins of both parties are rising ?    We aint' seen nothing yet , mark my words.

This dysfunction has happened on a recurring basis for the last 250 years.  This isn't the first time the reactionary Right has taken over common sense (and yes, the radical Left had their day in the sun once in the 60s).  Sooner or later (which seems to be the case this go-around) the People come to their senses and boot them out so that thinking people can start running the government again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)