What Should Be The Right Age To Start Writing Your First Book?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (29 posts)
  1. wj-writingjockey profile image58
    wj-writingjockeyposted 12 years ago

I know that book writing is not an attractive hobby because if your attention drags in between it will lead you no where. And it is obvious that for writing your first book you do not need any age limit. But what should be the appropriate age to write your first book if you want to be a famous writer. Because to get fame you should have written at least 15 to 20 brilliant books. The exceptions are always there. But based on the law of averages what should be the optimum age for a person to start writing his first book.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think an author should start writing asap. Everything that is written is a learning experience.

wj-writingjockeyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes i agree that everything you write will serve as an experience curve. This will encourage you and morph your ideas for future.

2. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is no "optimum" age. There is only the age you get to where you figure out that to be a writer you have to stop thinking about being a writer, stop dreaming about being a writer, stop talking about being a writer, stop reading and studying about being a writer and just F-ing write.

Less talkee-talkee. More typee-typee.

3. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wj - I don't know where you got the idea that you need 15-20 brilliant books to be famous. You need one. One blockbuster. You can write 100 books but if no one reads them...

Also, many a writer has had lag time before actually finishing a book. Maybe you start something and it just isn't ready to come out.

See, you don't actually write a book. You tell a story. You are the conduit between the story and the page. You must let it come out. You can't force it. I'm assuming you're talking about fiction because anything else is just research or your experience.

And Shadesbreath is right. Less talkee more typee. Don't talk your book away. Many people want to write a book. Not many people want to spend the hours and days and months and sometimes years it takes writing, typing, editing, rewriting, editing, reading, rereading, retyping, did I say editing? all alone with your writing, trying to have a life but the book keeps calling - write me, write me. Oh and then comes the marketing. Well, have fun. If you find yourself involved in a story that just has to come out, you won't even notice that you're a few years older.

4. profile image0
      setarehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whenever inspiration strikes you! That's what i believe, for i've been writing since i was eleven smile

5. profile image0
      GalaxyRatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I started writing at 7 years old, and I'm in my teens. Write whenever you want to!

2. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

I'm eighteen, and I've been writing books (or at the very least, novel length stories) since I was eight. I used to save them all on floppy disks. I think it's never too early to start writing a book, even if you scrap it and start all over.

Nice point raised. But when you start in your teenage life... You can always be a diverse writer. You teenage life writing is always subject to a brainstorming material. This ensures further drive within you to explore.
      When you write your first book at the age of sixty years (probably after retiring), your audience is always particular and your writing is always based on your experiences. But a teenage writer explores many grounds of writing and is always trying to understand his audience.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61

With all due respect. Never write for your audience or your publisher or your agent. Always - let me repeat that - always write for the story. If you're 16 and have a story to tell, tell it. None of us is so unique in the world that there will be no one who can relate to our story. As writers, it is our job to convey the things that cannot be seen, to put into words that which can be seen and to give a sense of wonderment and joy to the reader.

You've heard the old adage "write what you know". This doesn't mean you have to know about a skill or job or language or anything in particular. It means bring to the story who you are. If you live in the country, your characters will reflect that sensiblity. If you try to write to an audience, you will always miss the mark.

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

It's never too early or too late. I started writing my book about 30 years ago. Adding a little to it from time to time. I finally got enough motivation to really put my mind to it and I published it two years ago.

The point I'm making is that you never know how long it will take you. Life has a tendency of getting in the way. So I'd say the time to start writing you book is "now!"

Yes that is the beauty about writing a book. You can always write further. You can always purify your thoughts. You never know what else you can include.
      This is the only reason all the research work starts in the written form. Once you write something down. You always explore more.

4. That Grrl profile image72
    That Grrlposted 12 years ago

If you're writing to get famous, pick another career. Or try self help books, a lot of those don't really have anything new to say and yet they seem to exist mainly to make money and promote the writer as someone of importance.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61

Agree.

5. christianajohan profile image54
    christianajohanposted 12 years ago

Recently, I study writing and I found out that this lesson is very helpful. Planning.

Planning in any project is really essential for a successful result. Now in planning I may help you with one of my hubs here in hubpages.

http://christianajohan.hubpages.com/hub … in-Writing

I hope this may help you.

6. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 12 years ago

There is no "optimal" age to begin writing.  There is an optimal time though, and that is now. 

Thing is, most people contemplate writing, then never do it.  Of those that do, many of them give up after the first couple weeks.  The ones that don't give up (and that's very few people) end up writing a full-length book, but then when they try to publish it it quickly gets rejected.

There are very few people that get published. 

...and even less that become "famous".  If that's all you're writing for, it's time to find a new occupation.

However, if you love to write and you want to eventually make a half-decent living at it, stop procrastinating.  The more you write, the more you'll learn. 

To go along with this, you also have to learn how to write.  While you have your own unique voice, there is still a difference between good writing and bad writing.  If you want to become one of the few that get published, you must do two things: First, write.  As much as you can.  And keep writing.  Second, learn.  Find critique groups, read books, do your research.  It's not an easy life, but it's fulfilling.

1. Shadesbreath profile image76

Totally agree with this. I would add one thing to it:

READ

You have to read great writing if you want to make great writing. You literally will write what you read. It slowly seeps into you. If you only read poorly written work, you absorb style and meter that is poor. If you read good writers, you absorb good examples. If you read great writers, you absorb that.

When you write, you will unconsciously try to mimic what you have internalized as to what "writing looks like."

You may never become a great writer, but if you aim high and fall short, you may fall short somewhere far better than if your initial target is already at knee-cap level.

1. Shanna11 profile image76
        Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.
        I firmly believe my love of reading is what helped me get this far in life. It's the reason I made good grades and got a high ACT score. It turned me into a fairly decent writer.

The amount of books I've checked out and read from the library numbers nearly 20,000.

Reading is like the basis of life.

LOL I read that as you were a "fairy descent writer" and I was like... WTF is she reading, the autobiographies of Tinkerbell and Queen Mab? I mean, I write fantasy, so, I was cool with that, but, just didn't see it coming.

Then I realized it was the beer. Which I am fine with. Carry on.

1. Shanna11 profile image76
            Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol.... Um, so now would be a good time to admit I have a Tinkerbell book on my shelf, right?

By the way.... your book came in the mail today! My roommate was quite scandalized by the cover. I think I'll leave it lying face up on my desk 24/7.

When you read it, you're going to see how much of a marketing decision that was. LOL.

7. Charles James profile image68
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

When you are ready to write, write. You might be 8, you might be 80. What matters is that there is something you want to write.

And yes, in 10 years time you may go back to your first book and wince. That is because you have learned and developed in the mean time. It does not mean the first book was bad, just that you would write it differently now,

8. rlaha profile image61
    rlahaposted 12 years ago

I don't think there needs to be an age limit.  If you are young and like to write, then compile all your stories together and publish something when you feel you are ready to.  However, some people start writing later in life. That is still okay.  You can still publish at 90 if you want to! smile

9. peppy profile image60
    peppyposted 12 years ago

I'm fifteen, I wrote my first book when I was thirteen and I'm still writing.  I know I want a lot of people to read the books I write.  But of course is no set limit on when you should write, if an idea comes to you now, don't force it back because you don't think you're ready.  Some people don't develop as writers until later, and most people never develop as writers.  Writing a book is hard, but hey if a thirteen year old like me can do, I'm sure you can smile

10. sethslosberg profile image60
    sethslosbergposted 12 years ago

When you are able to recognize things around you and imagine their relationship with each.

11. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

A good time is: now.

12. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

The right age is as soon as you're little brain starts to make up stories and your little fingers can hold a crayon (or find the right keys on the keyboard).

13. sethslosberg profile image60
    sethslosbergposted 12 years ago

You are very right Shadesbreath. Garbage in garbage out. Quality in quality out. smile

14. Steele Fields profile image69
    Steele Fieldsposted 12 years ago

Definitely not ready until well past puberty or fast approaching expiration.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)