How Should Parents Discipline Their Children? Is Corporal Punishment A Form Of C

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (17 posts)
  1. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

How Should Parents Discipline Their Children? Is Corporal Punishment A Form Of Child Abuse?

2. Phobe01 profile image60
    Phobe01posted 14 years ago

Look at our children now vs. children from past years. I believe we need more corporal punishment back in our schools. The teachers can't teach for fear of students who abuse the authority of their parents, and now their grades are suffering, there are fewer good teachers left with a passion to teach, and the drop out rate for students are higher. The respect factor for adults is lower, thus we have more crime and so on and so on. When I was growing up they would send a note home at the beginning of every year in grade school asking for parents to check the box (yes or no) in reference to kids getting paddled for misbehavior. Usually the parents checked yes, and the teacher and principle  in witnessing the paddeling. Needless to say our teachers had very few problems with us back then and we were taught what we needed to learn in school. Very few bullies existed and life seem to work better than it does today. I think there is a age limit in which this type of punishment because trying to inforce this with a teenager does not work. You have to take something important away from a older child to seem to get your point across. But let none of us be fooled. Children don't do very well raising themselves, you have to take a stand and jump in their life now, while you can still make a difference.

3. Miss D profile image59
    Miss Dposted 14 years ago

Adults in today's society are more afraid of children than the other way around. This is because children have learnt that there are no real punishments when their behaviour extends beyond the boundaries permitted by society. As young children we learn right from wrong. Unfortunately it is now the case that children believe they can grow up disrespecting others as this is seen as the norm and they are so often not taught otherwise.

4. Cathi Sutton profile image67
    Cathi Suttonposted 14 years ago

I believe corporal punishment can be taken to the extream and become abuse.  But corporal punishment used in a loving way to direct the mental and emotionl growth of a wayward child toward the right direction, is absolutely not abuse.  As Will Rogers said, (to paraphrase), you can tell the child not to touch the coffee pot, but touch it he will, untill after he experiences the pain from the hot coffee pot.  There are "coffee pots" all through a child's formative years, and beyond, into the teenage years, and on into early adulthood.  If we simply let our children stumble there way through life, how can we expect them to be good, concerned, productive, kind people?  There are consequences to the choices we make, and the actions we take.  As surely as when it rains the ground gets wet.  Children must be taught the concept of consequences.  If they do not learn this, it is to their own peril, and to socity's.  So spat a hand before it reaches the scalding coffee pot.  And show the child that you love him too much to let him burn himself badly!

5. Barry Davidson profile image61
    Barry Davidsonposted 14 years ago

To answer the question, corporal punishment is not child abuse unless it's taken to extremes. It's one thing to leave a red behind, but quite another to leave bruises which last for weeks.

When I was growing up, I always told myself that I'd never spank my kids. Now that I'm older I see what I put my parents through. The unfortunate part is that if one actually does discipline their children with corporal punishment, someone will eventually call the police or Child Protective Services. Trust me when I say that even grabbing your child's hand a little rough is public is an invitation to having someone follow you home and call the police.

6. janiek13 profile image77
    janiek13posted 14 years ago

If used correctly, corporal punishment is not a form of child abuse, but the inherent danger is in losing control. I believe it should be used as a last resort when nothing else has worked. It should always be an option because children often will push to the limit unless they have a fear of the consequences. Sometimes the unknown is more frightening than the known.

7. liuwenhua profile image62
    liuwenhuaposted 14 years ago

Spear the rod and spoilt the children. But having said that, corporal punishment must be used sparingly. I had never use (yet) on my child and they are still doing fine. We got to start teaching them right and the wrong from young

Where as in my kids days, my mum do canned me very often. After a while I started to  be immune to the pain and threats, so after that nothing can stop me from going astray anymore.

8. anisetta profile image57
    anisettaposted 14 years ago

Yes, I believe that parents have the obligation and moral responsibity to discipline their children and to ensure that they provide appropriate guidance so that their children become a valuable asset to our society.

However, I do not believe that corporal punishment is the answer to unrully children. I believe that love,understanding, lots of attention, friendship, and the modeling of good values and high standard principles are the key to successfully bring up children that will be the future generation of responsible adults and outstanding parents.

I think that corporal punishment is one form of child abuse. There is also verbal abuse and putting the children down with sarcastic remarks, using bad language, yeling, and demonstrating frustration to children when they are unable to differentiate from the parent's right to be upset and the parent's lack of patience.

For me the keys to bringing a child into a responsible, polite, and well mannered adult are lots of love, lots of understanding, lots of friendship, and some serious and firm talk about following society's rules, which after all start at home and end at home.

9. profile image56
    benitosuaveposted 14 years ago

Proverbs 23:13 Do not withhold discipline from a child;
    if you strike him with a rod, he will not die.
    14 If you strike him with the rod,
    you will save his soul from Sheol [Hell].

1. profile image51
      pinapple123posted 10 years agoin reply to this

If your husband or wife strikes you with the rod you will not die either. But I would report if they did, even if you deserved it. Why shouldn't we give children the same way.

10. Emilyfv profile image59
    Emilyfvposted 13 years ago

I agree with most everyone on here with the exception of maybe 2. Every child is different. It's all about balance and being attentive and watchful of the type of child you have. I have one sister who was mild and quiet by nature. She rarely got spanked. She didn't need it. She was able to watch the mistakes of others and learn. My other sister was like talking to a brick wall and did what she pleased regardless. She obviously got a bit more. That being said, all kids are not like that. Some are naturally headstrong and stubborn. Some just don't get the concept of consequences.  You may have to work with that one more.  Nothing wrong at all with spanking as long as it is done with love -not venting your anger over the wrongdoing. If the parent has in mind that it is to teach not to take out stress as to their reason for spanking things will go fine. You dont yell and be abusive. You discuss the situation, how many times they've been told not to do something and commence. Children know when it comes from love and when it doesn't.

11. profile image0
    Anouserposted 13 years ago

Yes, I think so. Since the 1970's, more and more countries ban it.

12. sharanya dinesh profile image60
    sharanya dineshposted 13 years ago

Parents are the best role models. The easiest way to discipline children is to behave yourself:-). very difficult , I know. but that is the challenge. No form of punishment really works long term.
    Emotional abuse stays and shows up at a later date and corporal punishment, physical abuse invariably push the children away from home, may turn them into rebels.
    Ensure that the child comes back to parents and know they are welcome and can unburden themselves.

13. cobrien profile image60
    cobrienposted 13 years ago

Do you think it's okay for somebody to hit you?

14. lmfryett profile image60
    lmfryettposted 13 years ago

As a parent of six not always so wonderful kids,  I do believe that kids need a good old fashioned butt whooping once in a while!  Unfortunately, the schools are now instilling it in our kids that any type of spanking is abusive.  Yes, corporal punishment can get out of control when used incorrectly, but overall, getting a good old-fashioned rear-end spanking has never caused anyone that I know of to turn into a serial killer!
    Just my opinion!

15. profile image0
    rutheddavidposted 11 years ago

many view spanking as a form of abuse.
    nevertheless, when it is applied with concern for the child's discipline and a right amount of firm but compassionate love for what is right, discipline through spanking often works.
    One of the main reasons why it has been banned on several countries around the world is because of the fact that some parents lose control. When they spank out of anger, they begin to lose sight of the value of discipline that the said act provides. Applying it in a proper manner would give best results. How could this be done?
    I would like to share some of the hubs I find might be helpful regarding this issue:

How to not loose your temper when disciplining your child
    found at http://rutheddavid.hubpages.com/hub/How … your-child

another helpful reminder to parents regarding discipline could be this article entitled Understanding the Plight of a Stressed Child Part I found at http://rutheddavid.hubpages.com/hub/Und … ssed-Child

hope this information helps ... smile

1. profile image51
      pinapple123posted 10 years agoin reply to this

if it's not abuse, then should your wife hit you when you step out of line? after all it's not abuse. So why not?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)