Hi- I am 33 weeks pregnant and my boyfriend is selling and addicted to heroin. H

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image49
    Charlott24posted 14 years ago

Hi- I am 33 weeks pregnant and my boyfriend is selling and addicted to heroin. He is planning on...

quitting soon. I am so depressed and confused as to what I should do. I really want to make this relationship work, but at the same time I dont know how much more I can take. Please help me:

2. OregonWino profile image59
    OregonWinoposted 14 years ago

You need to get the hell out of that relationship.  If youa re not going to do it for yourself, then do it for your baby.  There are a lot of groups (I would reocmmend a church based group) that will gladly assist you.

3. profile image53
    sophiamartinposted 14 years ago

Addiction is a terrible disease. Does your boyfriend have a support network of some kind? You say he is planning to quit. How developed is this plan? Has he found a doctor? Will he go into rehab? Has he checked out a methadone clinic? If he hasn't done anything this concrete, it's not going to happen.
    My sense, based on the fact that you describe yourself as depressed and confused, is that you are in a toxic relationship with an addict who is not going to get better any time soon. I imagine you love him. The best thing for him if for you to leave. It may be hard to imagine--you probably serve an important role in his life. But if you leave, he will have to take his problem seriously. Most addicts must lose everything before they will go into recovery.
    The fact that you are pregnant makes this decision both harder and simpler. Harder, because it must be terrifying to envision a life as a single mom. Simpler, because you must realize that that option is better than bringing your baby into a world of drugs.
    Leave.

4. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

All addicts say they're "quitting soon".   You can't believe that unless/until you've seen that he's remained "clean" for a good long time (years, and even then he won't be out of the woods).

Leave now (seek help with leaving if you need it).  If he gets clean at some point in the future you can think about what to do then.  Your life will be "all upheaval" and "drama" as long he's in it, and your baby's wellbeing will suffer one way or another.  If authorities know he deals drugs (and they'll figure it out) you could lose your baby, because they know how unsuitable an environment it is for one parent to be addicted and selling drugs.

People who are addicted to drugs aren't fit for a relationship, because their "relationship" is with the drugs.  There's no point trying to make a relationship with an addict work.  If he has family behind him (and a lot of families are willing to hang in, no matter how "far gone" their addicted relative is), great.  If he doesn't, and if he needs support, he'll have to seek support from someone working in a drug program if/when he decides to get help.  It isn't your job.  You aren't his mother or his therapist.

If he gets better (for long enough) things will be different, but not as they are now.

One way or another, this is going to be a matter of "your baby or him".  You decide.  You may also want to talk to a counselor for yourself, because it seems you don't know what you have a right to expect in a relationship.

5. ms.truly lovely profile image41
    ms.truly lovelyposted 14 years ago

GET OUTR FAST , IF YOU WANT TO DO ANYTHING RIGHT IN YOUR LIFE DO NOT EXPOSE YOUR NEW BABY TO THIS GET OUT FAST , YOU AND YOUR NEW BABY DESERVE A GOOD LOVING DAD AND MAN , HE NEEDS HELP MAKE YOUR BABYS LIFE THE BEST IT CAN BE THAT IS THE GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT YOU WILL EVER FEEL YOU DID ,BEEN THER DONE THAT IT SURE CAN TAKE A BAD TOLL ON YOU BOTH.

6. sasanqua profile image77
    sasanquaposted 14 years ago

You need to protect yourself and your baby from this situation. I would recommend leaving him. If he gets himself into some kind of program and starts to make changes in his life, THEN you can consider getting back with him. The most important person in this is your unborn child. S/he needs to be born into a safe environment with responsible parents.

7. FrankiesGirl6Yr profile image71
    FrankiesGirl6Yrposted 14 years ago

It is going to be much harder to leave after the baby is born. Especially if you are experiencing spouts of depression now. [Quick Note] I would speak with your Doctor about antidepressants, due to your high stress situation. The chances of experiencing postpartum depression in your situation are higher than most. If you were to experience postpartum depression, having the challenges of a new baby, and a boyfriend addicted to herion, would cause for the lack of energy or shear will to leave. All addicts plan on quitting, the % of those that follow through are slim. Has he even made plans to enter a detox center? He's not planning on just going cold turkey is he? If so, that % I just mentioned just dropped to 0%. Leave, you can always re-enter his life if he follow through and stays clean. Another thing, I can't see a newly recovering addict handeling a new baby. Stress triggers relapse.
    To defend your newborn a little bit. Do you, as a mother, think it's fair for your baby to be brought home to a house where someone is abusing and selling heroin? That will be your memory later in life. The first serious decision you made as a mother was horrible wrong. That's a lot of regret. Also you know the answer to your question. Not all children need their father in their life. You probably need him more, but you have to remember it's not what you need any more. Your decisions now, begin to shape and mold your childs life.
    Another thing to think about. Babies start crawling within months. What happens if he hasn't stopped. [Some Tough Love]Please think about the consequences... Can you imagine the horror you would feel if your baby injested some heroin that your high boyfriend didn't put up. It wouldn't even take a full bag of dope, just a ripped open, used one with a small amt. left over for a baby to go into cardiac arrest.  What if he/she gets ahold of rig and put it in his/her mouth.
    From a recovered addict, who it took years to quit, take my advice leave and don't create regret and bad memories with your new baby

8. dabeaner profile image61
    dabeanerposted 14 years ago

It's not going to work.  Of course, you didn't think of that when you went ahead and let the pregnancy continue.  Now you are almost 8 months and now you start to worry.  Sheesh.

Sorry, too late for you.  Maybe some other bimbos will read and heed this, but I doubt it.

Attention bimbos:  ABORTION!

9. JosiePosie profile image60
    JosiePosieposted 13 years ago

You know...I'll tell you, I was an addict.  Trust me...addicts don't "plan" to quit.  They have to hit bottom first, and that bottom may be at the cost of you and your babies safety.  Leave and keep your child safe.  If he really does get clean, then you can re-consider.  You have to choose...your baby, or him.

10. profile image0
    jasper420posted 13 years ago

your cocern now needs to be your unborn child not him i feel for you and for him you will defentily be in my prayers addiction can ruin a good pearson i know you love him but he needs to get sober for himself you can not make him sober this is something only he can do i wish you and your family the best of luck try to hang in there i know its hard my whole famly are drug addicts and i myself am in recovery

11. candicemarks987 profile image60
    candicemarks987posted 11 years ago

Have to make your health as well as the baby's on top of your priority so ask your boyfriend to quit or leave him. To know more about addiction rehab centers, visit us at http://addiction-rehab-treatment.net/ad … recovery/.

12. AlluriMaahiSharma profile image60
    AlluriMaahiSharmaposted 8 years ago

hey, i guess you should give him a little more time. My friends boyfriend was also addicted to heroine for 5 years but once they fall in love he quit heroine in 1 year.And now they are getting married after 3 years of relationship.It takes time but if he really cares for you he will definitely quit. Else you know how much time its been since you are giving him chances and chances to quit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)