If youre not racist or prejudice then why would a person prefer to date a certai

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. s_little profile image59
    s_littleposted 13 years ago

If youre not racist or prejudice then why would a person prefer to date a certain race?

There are so many people out there who date women of a certain race. I dont get it! Everyone is an individual, no certain race looks exactly the same or have the same personalities. So what is it that makes a person decide to just start dating people of a certain race? How can anyone find there soul mate if they limit themselves in that way?

2. vipconsult profile image35
    vipconsultposted 13 years ago

Great question, I can't speak from experience since I don't have a problem dating other races, we are all people! I want to live in a world of equality in every aspect, but that is me.. to try and answer you question:

Well, someone who says he is not a racists doesn't mean he will bash other races, but that doesn't mean he is a little afraid of the unknown. It's the same principles with homosexuals, some people will say they have nothing against them while they don't even want to be close to them, they are homophobes. Maybe it's the same with races for some people. Or maybe it's the upbringing, the church beliefs or many other things.

Personally I think it's all BS.

We're different colors
    And different creeds
    And different people
    Have different needs
    It's obvious you hate me
    Though I've done nothing wrong
    I've never even met you
    So what could I have done

People are people
    So why should it be
    You and I shouldn't get along
    People are people
    So why should it be
    You should hate me

3. profile image57
    say it how it isposted 13 years ago

wait your saying your racist if you dont prefer to be with a different
    raced person i dont get it.

4. s_little profile image59
    s_littleposted 13 years ago

I saw Chad Ochocinco on the Wendy Williams show and Wendy brought up how on his new tv show he personally picked all white and hispanic women and only three black women. Wendy said she was offended and felt like the black women were basically throw aways. He said he has nothing against black women but he just prefers other races. I didnt get why... so I thought Id ask.

And to say it how it is... no not at all, my question is what reason would a person prefer to date only certain races if youre not prejudice or racists? Those were the only conclusions I could come up with so Im asking all of you what can you come up with...

5. tjhooper profile image61
    tjhooperposted 13 years ago

Just because you're not racist doesn't mean you should be open to date all races of people. A big part about relationships and marriage is how well you get along and match with your partner.

People grow up in different lifestyles and race does have a huge impact on how someone is raised. Whether it be religions, mannerisms, philosophies, child raising, etc.

I have many many friends of different races, but I'll be the first to admit what races of people I'm not attracted too. It has nothing to do with preference nor, prejudice. It has everything to do with compatibility.

6. profile image0
    iamqweenbeeposted 13 years ago

That is so true! Well, I guess preference has a lot to do with it moreso than being racist. I PREFER cute guys but that doesn't make me discriminative towards the not so cute guys.

7. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
    Lifeallstar1posted 13 years ago

I think it's who you are attracted to, whether it be personality or looks. It all depends on who the person is. Some people in a certain race are not attracted to a certain hair color but it doesn't mean that they would never date them and it certainly doesn't mean they would not be friends with them. For example, if a guy only dates girls with blond hair, since that is what he is attracted to, it doesn't mean his best friend isn't a female brunette. Some white people are mainly attracted to spanish people, but it doesn't mean they are not friends or would never date someone of a different race or look. People change their preference as well. I really think it varies and personality plays a lot into it as well. My example with a guy who only dates blonds, doesn't mean he is attracted to all blonds or if he is extremely attracted to a blond he might end up not dating her, due to personality. She could be totally rude and then a turn off. However, I'm sure certain people are racist and/or will only date a certain race. I like to look at everyone as unique and personality goes a long way. Looks do too but there are beautiful people in every race and people find different thing beautiful about someone and another person could find that same beautiful person ugly. It's all about preference but I think that you are right that it shouldn't matter. Family might be a factor too for some people. It's an interesting question and will be interested to hear other views. Good question! But I agree with you 100%, who cares what race someone is, it shouldn't be about that.

8. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

I think this Racism thing is, in the very long term, a passing phenemenon.   Turn back the clock a two hundred years and mixed marriages were almost non-existent.  Go back a century and they were pretty rare.   World War Two and numerous War Brides changed things quite a bit.   They continue to change.   Rapid travel, temporary residences in other lands, the Internet, all of this is having its effect.   I doubt there will be much talk about Racial Predudice a few hundred  years from now, if there is any at all.    But by then, we being human, will have invented something else to give us a problem.

9. profile image0
    o0_jo_0oposted 13 years ago

I don't really notice individual colour or race - and wouldn't know from looking at a person where there heritage lies.  I'm also hopeless identifying accents, so it bears no weight with me.
    My decision to date someone is based totally on attraction to their looks and personality, and this can obviously be wide and varied.
    I have been talking online to an african-american man for six years now, and we are the best of friends.  We would love to meet one day, when either of us are in a financial position to do so - as we both feel strongly that we are the others soul mate.
    Due to migration, the internet, and generational changes, along with education regarding diversity and equal rights - I daresay that in a couple of hundred years, the western world be largely one general colour/race.  It will be of little importance whether your ancestral heritage was China, Africa or Australia.

10. That Grrl profile image72
    That Grrlposted 11 years ago

Usually people pick people they have things in common with, like a common heritage, religion, etc. Race would be just one more thing to have in common. It doesn't have anything to do with racism. It's not any more selective than choosing someone who likes sports, doesn't smoke, etc.

11. ReneeDC1979 profile image61
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

I don't think racism has anything to do with it.  You like who you like.  That's like asking why do you prefer a taller man over a man shorter than you?  It's what you prefer.  Or why do you want to be with a Christian rather than a Jehova's witness?  Preference.  Or why would you prefer to date someone who loves sports, a home cooked meal, and wants to have children someday.  Preference.  Racism is discrimination towards someone of another race.  Here you go:

1.The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
    2.Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

12. profile image54
    bobbleheadedsamposted 10 years ago

Sometimes it's racist but usually it's a culture thing. I wouldn't date anyone from another country for that reason. Same with black people. Unless they're a rocker and/or nerd I wouldn't date them.

13. Aneegma profile image71
    Aneegmaposted 10 years ago

Good question. As a person that fits that description its not racism. Its just personal preference like some people like chocolate cake over cheese cake. For me I am not attracted to anyone within my race because when I look at them they are my brothers and I feel like I'm dating my brother. I guess because I grew up in a house of nine brothers so dating within my race just doesn't do it for me. So that doesn't make me a racist, that just makes me picky.

14. blessedp profile image79
    blessedpposted 5 years ago

I don't think for some people it has nothing to do with being a racist or prejudice. It is about one's preference. Maybe they are only attracted to persons of a certain race.
    We all look for certain attributes in a person and if they do not possess those attributes they would not be considered.
    So each of us have our likes and standards  and maybe for some it can be prejudice or racist but certainly not for all.

15. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years ago

I think there is a natural instinct to marry within one's tribe.
    ... especially for men. Women will more often choose a mate outside their own race.
    It is human nature and not often or easily resisted.

16. Stina Caxe profile image82
    Stina Caxeposted 5 years ago

Cultural differences play a big role in relationships.  In my psychology training I learned that often times people feel more comfortable confiding in somebody with a background similar to theirs.  I think that might also extend into some personal relationships as well.  It doesn't necessarily mean somebody is racist if their personal dating preference is in their own race, perhaps they just feel more comfortable with or understood by somebody who is similar to them in background.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)