Does gun control prevent crimes?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Earl S. Wynn profile image78
    Earl S. Wynnposted 13 years ago

Does gun control prevent crimes?

2. weholdthesetruths profile image62
    weholdthesetruthsposted 13 years ago

Why would you ask?   This is a simple matter of fact, not subject to "opinion".   It has been fully and factually established that the removal of "gun control" laws or the legal establishment of right to carry laws decreases crime, and the imposition of "gun control" laws INCREASES crime.   

The call for "Gun Control" in an effort to decrease crime is nothing but a lie, since there is no rational argument which can counter factual results.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years ago

Absolutely NOT, in fact, gun control HAS ALWAYS been a prelude to a government's future oppression.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

not in the least. controling anything only creates hostility because humans in general want to be their own boss. letting someone who doesn't know you decide what you can or can't have only adds insult to injury.

5. Jon Rubin profile image60
    Jon Rubinposted 13 years ago

Preventing criminals from getting their hands on deadly weapons could at least in theory prevent certain crimes. That said, criminals tend to find a way to get what they want regardless.

6. lyjo profile image60
    lyjoposted 13 years ago

Not in the least...the people who would register their guns, are not the people who would use them for crimes....and of course, the ones who wouldn't....DO!  If someone wants to commit a crime with a gun or any type of weapon for that matter....they know where to find them....and I guarantee that it would not be legal!  I would suspect that, it is just another way to be controlled and for the gov't to possibly tax or charge us another fee!

7. profile image57
    ThePeeDeeWildcatposted 13 years ago

No! Gun control does not prevent crime. The criminal will find a weapon to carry out his/her crime. It doesn't matter whether that weapon is a knife, axe, club, bare hands, etc. I agree with Wesman Todd Shaw that gun control is simply a prelude for future oppression. As a matter of fact, the Second Amendment protection to keep and bear arms is in the Constitution in order to give the ordinary citizens some means of defense against the oppression of an all powerful government. Yes, big government has the overwhelming ability to intimidate and frighten average people. They have the power of the law and the purse on their side. A well-armed citizenry, however, gives the government something to think about. There are certain bounds that government will not cross simply because of an armed citizenry. The Nazis and the Soviets confiscated firearms from indivduals. There are some powerful Americans who covet that same authority.

8. ShakethaM07 profile image61
    ShakethaM07posted 13 years ago

Honestly I don't think that gun control prevent crimes. They could take away every gun ever made and there were still be crime. There might not be as much but it will still be present.

9. Security News profile image60
    Security Newsposted 13 years ago

People need to stop and think, "How would gun control laws prevent or reduce crime?" People could easily purchase firearms from the black market.

10. bulalo profile image61
    bulaloposted 13 years ago

I live in a country where it's not easy for an ordinary citizen to purchase firearms.

A lot of violent crime still happen.

11. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

If criminals only bought and sold legal firearms, then possibly yes.  But criminals get weapons as long as there are more criminals to sell them illegal ones.

12. mlowell profile image87
    mlowellposted 13 years ago

No. It just causes more illegal acts and the use of illegal guns or other weapons.

13. Laura freeman profile image60
    Laura freemanposted 13 years ago

I say NO. If someone doesn't have gun do you think that will stop them from commiting a crime? There are many different forms of weapons. If someone is got the mind frame of commiting a crime...All they need is hands. Thats a weapon if you have the right training. I feel if you are going to have a gun, you should be trained on how to use it properly.

14. profile image49
    Sword of Fireposted 13 years ago

That all depends on exactly how well you control your gun. Me? I'm an expert shot. No brag, just fact. I have no crime problem in my sphere of influence. smile

15. Tommy.G profile image60
    Tommy.Gposted 13 years ago

The only thing you guarantee by outlawing guns is that only outlaws will have them. Violent crimes are committed using all types of weapons, some of which are very easy to get. Men are even born with a weapon that is often used in violent crimes. Outlawing the penis isn't going to solve rape; the same applies for murder.

16. nailinthehead profile image68
    nailintheheadposted 13 years ago

Gun control law has that major drawback that it's just a law and those commit crimes doesn't care much about laws.

17. profile image57
    fallsfellaposted 13 years ago

It hasn't yet.  The only way to stop crime is to make the punishments so severe to deter it.

18. cockrelle profile image60
    cockrelleposted 13 years ago

Gun control in no way prevents crime. What prevents crime is the ability and right for one to defend themselves. You have to remember criminals who carry guns will have them regardless of the laws. That is the nature of a criminal. We need to allow out citizens to protect themselves.

19. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 13 years ago

Every bit as well as birth control prevents abortion.

Almost as much as DUIs, DWI,s prevent drunk drivers.

Far more than "laws" prevent  "crime".

Since Cain and Abel, there has been crime.  You can not legislate morality.........

If you are "fined" for a crime against society, why does the "state, county or city" get the money?

20. Wayne Brown profile image79
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

Not to any large degree.  You have probably heard the premise, "when guns are taken away only criminals will have guns".  That premise makes perfect sense in that the true criminal has never intended to abide by the law anyway.  Crime is not driven by the existence of a gun, it is  driven by a mindset.  Take the guns aways and criminals will use knives, take the knives away and criminals will use sticks.  As long as the person who intends to break the law has anything which will intimidate another individual into giving up their belongings etc., there will always be crime and criminals.  Guns can easily be a deterrent to that situation...."Wanna find out if I have a gun in my house, break on in and see!"  Criminals don't like the odds to be equal or not in their favor and they don't want to guess whether or not they are going to get shot.  Take the guns away and assist them in their efforts. WB

21. RetailPrincess profile image61
    RetailPrincessposted 13 years ago

I agree with what some people have already said people who register their guns are not planning on committing crimes, unless they want to go to jail... Illegal guns are easy to obtain on the streets i'm sure. It doesn't prevent crimes in the least. Especially because suicides can occur after massive shootings to avoid jail, if guns are registered.

22. awoodog profile image60
    awoodogposted 13 years ago

I don't think gun control helps at all. If someone wanted to commit a crime, they probably dont care if thier gun is registered, and if they didn't have a gun out come the knives, bats, chains and whatever else can be used as a weapon.
    The only thing that can prevent crime is people having respect for others, and learning to love and help.

23. Rabid Puma profile image60
    Rabid Pumaposted 13 years ago

Anyone have any statistics on the matter?

24. dabeaner profile image61
    dabeanerposted 13 years ago

No -- Look at Amazon book links on Hub
    http://hubpages.com/hub/second-amendmen … man-rights

25. Ludo profile image54
    Ludoposted 13 years ago

Well I live in the UK and one thing I can tell you is this, we have one of the lowest levels of GUN crime in the world because it is so very hard to get a gun licence. Because of this there are less guns available in the country overall so less criminals have the chance to get them.

But that wasn't the question. There are still violent crimes, with and without guns. The availability of guns doesnt really effect the overall crime rates, just the ones that involve guns.

So no, gun regulations don't stop crime happening, but they do lower the rates of gun related crimes. For example, the amount of gun related crime in New York City in a week is roughly the same as in the whole of the UK in a month, possibley a little more. Actual crime statistics though are a lot closer.

26. davidb95 profile image60
    davidb95posted 13 years ago

NO.  Not in the least.  It is to easy to acquire guns by legal or illegal means and there are too many of them out there to control.

27. Briton profile image62
    Britonposted 13 years ago

Here in the UK we have complete gun control, to the point where if you have an airgun in public you are still liable for 5 years imprisonment.
    It does not stop the criminals though, because they are criminals and do not obey laws.
    that said I rather like the idea that in general most people here do not have guns, I can get into a loud disagreement discussion with a neighbour or have a  car aggravation incident without having a gun brought into the argument, and as someone who used to legally carry one as a security forces member here in the UK, I am pleased about that.

28. L.L. Woodard profile image68
    L.L. Woodardposted 13 years ago

No, for all the reasons already stated. Our right to bear arms is what prevents us from becoming a police state.

29. MoneyCreator24 profile image57
    MoneyCreator24posted 13 years ago

Good question.

I think it wont. Weapons doens´t make any crime. People does. And if one want´s to be criminal he could make a pen a weapon. One doesn´t really need to have a gun for being criminal.

So, how could a gun control prevent crime?

30. profile image0
    Edliraposted 13 years ago

It may help, but unfortunately doesn't prevent!

31. Wayne62279 profile image61
    Wayne62279posted 13 years ago

I don't associate guns with crime, just violent crimes.  Laws don't curtail crime a single iota, just the punishment does.  In a society that feels as entitled to anything we want, as ours does, the only way to curtail to crime is to scare the hell out of people.  Drunk driving?  Executed as soon as you blow above the legal limit.  Kill someone?  Fry the person chained to a large skillet.  People have to be afraid to break the law, not just know the law exists.  If you take guns away, but fine someone 50 dollars for carrying, it won't scare anyone.  Amputate a limb for carrying, violent crime decreases 80 percent.

32. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

Perhaps gun control reduces the overall lethality of crime. Its easier, mechanically, to kill with a gun than with a knife or club. I would say that the impulse or drive to commit crimes is not done away with by curbing popular access to guns. But if the lethality of crime could be greatly reduced, then it seems to me that gun control would be worth it!

33. profile image55
    THEOBSERVERposted 13 years ago

The answer is NO. I went into this in more detail in my hub examining the gun control of two countries that have two diametrically opposed gun control ownership models.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)