Am I the only loser sitting at home on New Year's Eve?

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (47 posts)
  1. j.amie profile image60
    j.amieposted 13 years ago

Am I the only loser sitting at home on New Year's Eve?

I had a really nice dinner earlier - but I just have no interest in the craziness out there right now! What say you?  :0)

1. Inspiredbro profile image71
      Inspiredbroposted 3 years agoin reply to this

No , i am with you.

2. Right On Time profile image60
    Right On Timeposted 13 years ago

Why are you a "loser" for being at home on NYE?  Do whatever. Break the rules!  And kudos for being independent minded smile

3. profile image0
    moncrieffposted 13 years ago

To me New Year's is a 9-hour supper - we start at 9 and leave at 6am. We have the best food: vodka, caviar, champagne, wine, fruits, fish, ham, salads, watermelon, raspberries and later tea with cakes and ice cream. Nice company, fire in the fireplace, a great TV show and music - what else is needed? I don't feel like going anywhere, want to enjoy and appericate every minute of it at home...

4. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 13 years ago

Celebrate New Year the way you like to, I've just watched the Jools Holland Hootenanny and had a drink, absinthe, at midnight, he's still going on, being recorded, and I'm going to bed.  The losers are the ones who follow the crowds instead of their own likes.

5. Wayne Brown profile image82
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

We did that last year....it was nice and even better the next day and I did not feel like I had missed a thing!  This year, we are out to a little Italian restaurant where they are BYOB so we have to bring our wine. Then we are going to just sit back and listen to our favorite three-piece combo rock band do Clapton, Van Morrison, The Beatles, The Rolling Stone, and many others...that will be the best part of the night! WB

6. j.amie profile image60
    j.amieposted 13 years ago

moncrieff are you Italian by any chance? or Scandinavian maybe?  the 9 hour dinner = typical italian, but the ham and watermelon threw me off ;p

This is the first year that I have had a quiet New Year's Eve.  This time last year, I was running around like a crazy girl trying to keep the gears of a restaurant in working order under the heavy load.  In fact, that was the last five years of my life - so I have absolutely no problem staying at home this year.

(plus I'm on my third vodka...and can still spell...I think)  ;0)

Cheers!

7. hassann profile image62
    hassannposted 13 years ago

Staying home is great idea! I don't like to go out on New Year's Eve. It gets too crowded and stupid. I can hang out any other day I want.

8. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 13 years ago

Those who go out and waste money in the garb of enjoying themselves are the losers, in my personal opinion!

9. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

I'm at home too!  I'm celebrating New Year's eve with my kids and having lots of finger foods.  You are definitely not a loser! 

Happy New Year!
    Rosie

10. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 13 years ago

I'm alone but don't consider myself a loser.

So, Happy New year dear.  You're not alone.

11. Sun Pen 50 profile image61
    Sun Pen 50posted 13 years ago

Me and my wife enjoy being at home on the new year Eve. Why... It's the most enjoyable thing to do I think.

We called our two daughters and the three grand kids to wish them happy new year.

Don't think you are a loser. If you think you are a looser then only You are one.

12. Bel Marshall profile image61
    Bel Marshallposted 13 years ago

Like you I made a choice to stay home and off the roads.  For many years I worked in places that served alcohol and it seems people think holidays, specifically New Year's Eve is the time to drink twice as much as behave twice as badly.
    I stayed home and was happy to do so.

13. Klena profile image70
    Klenaposted 13 years ago

I went to a house party hosted by friends and then met my partner in town to ring in the New Year. However, we left shortly after midnight as he wasn't well.

However, normally New Years Eve is spend in! I always feel a little ripped off by having to pay extortionate entry prices for normally free venues and ridiculous drinks prices. Also, travelling is such a pain (luckily, my partner and I live 10 minutes from the town centre)

I think you made an excellent choice!

14. profile image0
    UrsulaRoseposted 13 years ago

I had a little chuckle over your question because if you are a loser for staying home on NYE then I must be too as I was left alone writing a new Hub right here on Hubpages whilst listening to James Blunt's latest cd (Xmas pressie) as my beloved husband went to bed totally exhausted at 10pm when the kids were finally sent to bed.

A loser for staying home ... I think not  ... as I had 'Mr Blunt' help me welcome in my new year and eventually got a belated kiss from 'my man' when he woke up from his slumber!!!

15. Writerly Yours profile image65
    Writerly Yoursposted 13 years ago

Ditto! My party consisted of me, my son, my hubby and our xbox kinect playing Dance Central! We loved every minute of it. Then we watched the ball drop--the next morning. We were all too exhausted to stay up late to watch it live!

Happy New Year!

smile hehehehehehehehheehehhe

16. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

Hey.. I was at home alone in my pj's and headscarf.. heard the cheers, watched the fireworks from my window for a few minutes then thought "is that it!?"
    Aint no big deal.

17. smelloftruth profile image60
    smelloftruthposted 13 years ago

I spent the past 20 years of my life doing the same. Now, I moved to another country, I had to join the revelry with the family clan.

No big deal of what you're doing.

18. alexmar profile image60
    alexmarposted 13 years ago

Not at all, I was at home also. Does it mean that I am a loser? Don't think so ;-)

At times it's good to just be alone and focus, ponder what happened in 2010 and what I am going to do different in 2011.

19. profile image0
    lenepveuposted 13 years ago

Hi, I sat at home on my own New Years Eve!  It was a very lonely night.

20. 123chri123 profile image40
    123chri123posted 13 years ago

Staying at home is good but what did you make out of it.Do you know that,you can stay at home,make some phone calls and those calls will make positive impact in the life of the recipients.Let me shock you,Statistics shows that,for every ten persons,seven out of them are depressed.Next time,you can do better.God will keep us alive to see the next new year's eve.happy new year.

21. wärmepumpe profile image61
    wärmepumpeposted 13 years ago

I was forced to sit home with food poisoning... what a start to a promising year! Only one good came out of it. I started hubbing

22. awoodog profile image60
    awoodogposted 13 years ago

I too spent new years alone, partly my own choice. My kids went to thier mothers in another town. I was invited to hang out with others , but they have very negitive attitudes and I am looking for positives for now on. So it the end I did what needed to be done and stayed home alone. Happy new years everyone.

23. jdavid profile image60
    jdavidposted 13 years ago

I stayed in this year, partly due to jetlag from a trip I had just come back from.  Made a nice roast the next day though without a hangover.

24. Liv Senstad profile image59
    Liv Senstadposted 13 years ago

Why couldn't you be alone on New Year's Eve if that is what you want? I might enjoy a nice evening with friends, but might as well sit at home by myself. I will prepare something nice to eat and drink and have a cozy relaxed evening in front of the fire enjoying a good movie, good music or a book. Whatever- -New Year is special- -might as well make it special by yourself.
    Happy New Year j.amie!

25. home witch profile image68
    home witchposted 13 years ago

I think you're not a loser, not unless you think you are. I'd say you were very civilised and grown up and not given in to the mad commercial hype of the uneducated masses.

26. teamfusiongroup profile image60
    teamfusiongroupposted 13 years ago

I believe New Year's Eve is the time to welcome the new year with family and friends, verses being bumped around by drunken strangers. Maybe it was 12 years in the nightclub business over the mid 80's and 90's that has me tainted.  But I find great pleasure just spending the evening with my wife, my son and other family members. Quality time to reflect on a remarkable year and start fresh plans for the new year ahead.

27. easyfreerecipes profile image60
    easyfreerecipesposted 13 years ago

we stayed home for the first time in over a decade.  it just seemed right. would have been forced to do otherwise. we cooked, had some wine, watched the ridiculous countdowns and went to bed. it was great

28. Myra Tylor profile image61
    Myra Tylorposted 13 years ago

there are different ways to celebrate New Year Eve. For me, i just stay at home and take care of my daughter

29. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

I stay at home by I don't feel  like a loser..... I don't like loud firecrackers it frightened my dog.   but of course I had a nice dinner...

30. Barca21 profile image60
    Barca21posted 13 years ago
  31. Barca21 profile image60
    Barca21posted 13 years ago

I was alone on New Year's Eve too.  My girlfriend of two years was going to a club with her friends.  She was afraid of being ridiculed by her friends because I am much older than her and from a different ethnic background so I wasn't invited.  She had kept my identity a secret for two years.  We argued about her drinking and what might happen when she was out of control and she left me, right there and then.  She will not even speak to me anymore - except to say she is finding a younger man from her race, she can introduce to family and friends.  I've spent New Year's on my own for more than half my life and that never bothered me before.  I didn't have to crawl home; I didn't have a hang-over; I didn't have to apologise to anyone the next day; I didn't regret being alone.  But this New Year was the saddest time of my life.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry to hear this, Barca21. You deserve an honest person who accepts and appreciates you. May you find such a person in the new year, if you have not already done so!

32. sonia05 profile image60
    sonia05posted 13 years ago

hey, I was also at home with my family on new year's eve. We had great food together,chatted late till night and remembered fond memories of the past.Each one of us made a dish for the family get-together including the kids! I had great fun and spent quality time with my family.I think home is the best place to be on new year's eve with your near and dear ones.
    happy new year!
    cheers

33. profile image49
    JosiMposted 13 years ago

Though I'm little late to answer this question but I'm glad to find my gang. I spent my New Year at home and did not move out of the house till 3rd Jan

34. profile image50
    PersonalizedPrintposted 13 years ago

I am also alone but m not looser.

Happy New year dear. You're not alone.

35. Anjili profile image66
    Anjiliposted 13 years ago

No. It all depends on your state of mind. We often feel like burying our heads in sand at times than face the world with its funny trends.

36. Smaridge01 profile image67
    Smaridge01posted 13 years ago

Good one J!

Myself, home alone. Not completely by choice, but definitely as a result of choices I made. wink

Good a time as any to "embrace solitude", as a friend once advised me.  Wise words.

I enjoyed it.

37. yenchuck profile image60
    yenchuckposted 13 years ago

Depends on every person's mentality that how he/she wants enjoy on new Year... So I don't think so that you are the only one who sits @ home and not enjoying..
    By the way happy New year...

38. Veianet profile image57
    Veianetposted 13 years ago

Might be better if you ask yourself first, did you enjoy the peacefulness of being home on New years day? If you do, then you are not a loser but a lover of peace, well served peace...
    Happy New Year to you!

39. profile image49
    Pink_Barbie_002posted 13 years ago

Well What i say is that its good u stood home couse u would of never know what would of happen to u if u were out...

40. memoreton profile image61
    memoretonposted 13 years ago

First, you are not a loser, you can see the new year in any way you want to. Second, Many people  spend new year at home and some alone, me included. I've been on my own for most new years eve's, and I have my own special way of seeing the new year in and then I ring my children and other family member to wish them a happy new year. Sometimes, you need to do what's right for you.

41. 1kmjs profile image63
    1kmjsposted 10 years ago

Sounds like your a winner to me. You know how much money you are saving right now, and integrity. Tell me one story from the annals of New Years Eve lore which end... "Was the best night of my life!". Your doing a fine job of winning tonight.

Jamie- 1
    Sheep-0

42. Marthrach profile image60
    Marthrachposted 8 years ago

I was sitting at home at a New Year's eve and would not call myself a looser. At home I live with many pets so I wanted to stay home to make sure they wil be ok. All the celebrating people, gliters and sounds makes them stressed. :-)

I do not like New Year's eve out for the same reason as you. It is crazy and sometimes dangerous. I do not like the drunk people with all the explosive meterials.

Let's say, I love myself enough not to be part of it.

43. jeanfrancoisprint profile image64
    jeanfrancoisprintposted 8 years ago

You are not alone, I went to sleep at 10pm, first time I expect the year in bed. So many of us have lost the essence of a new year’s eve, personally, I know people that cry at the change of year, while they remember lost families, and emotive thoughts.

44. Besarien profile image75
    Besarienposted 8 years ago

Staying home is a great way to ring in the New Year! Who wants to start a year off drunk and then nursing a hangover? I say have a smoothy and an early night instead. Or give yourself a facial and a warm, de-stressing bath. Or read a good book and listen to beautiful music. Make better traditions!  Start a healthier, smarter, happier new year like you mean to live it!

45. profile image54
    John Albin1posted 5 years ago

The only ‘losers’ are those who feel the need to go out and celebrate a holiday as meaningless as New Year’s while making resolutions that they know they won’t keep.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)