Have you ever had a pet turtle?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 12 years ago

Have you ever had a pet turtle?

2. manofthewill profile image59
    manofthewillposted 12 years ago

I had two turtles when I was 10. One day, one of them got lost in the house, while I was cleaning their aquarium, I couldn't find it for seven days. Finally, I found it under the carpet in another room.

The second one, maybe a year after that, got boiled in the water, one beautiful sunny day of the spring. I thought it loved the sun, so I put it on the terrace...and forgot it.

That's my past experience, if it matters at all...

3. ThePracticalMommy profile image88
    ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years ago

My pet turtle is my favorite pet ever. He's a small painted turtle, which is an aquatic breed. He is quiet and is pretty low maintanence, requiring food every other day and a tank cleaning once a month. He's not cuddly like a dog or cat, but he's fun to watch as he swims about and climbs on his rocks. My son likes to sit and watch him, so he's educational entertainment as well. smile

4. Gabby G profile image68
    Gabby Gposted 12 years ago

yes he was a box turtle and his name was ralf. he ate all my goldfish

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

When I was a girl and also when I was first married, I had red eared sliders.  Very cool turtles.  I did not know at the time they can carry salmonella.

6. davenmidtown profile image68
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

I currently have two red-eared slider and a musk turtle.  They live in a 55 gallon aquarium that is divided 50/50 with land and water.  Water depth is about 6 inches as the turtle are very small.  They are very social creatures and bang on the tank when they want my attention.  They eat a variety of things that range from live goldfish to squash.  They are pretty low maintenance but they do need fresh water weekly which means a water change and tank cleaning.  It takes about 20 minutes to clean their tank and change their water.  I enjoy them.  These were all abandoned at the fish store where I work.

7. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 12 years ago

Yes.  I had some pet turtles.  However they did not make very good pets.  They would try to eat your hand if you put it close enough for them to reach.  I would rather have goldfish.

8. Ahnoosh profile image71
    Ahnooshposted 12 years ago

Yes.  Several.  When I was a kid, we would go down to the Woolworth and if I had saved up my allowance and had enough, I'd get to buy a turtle.  I had a little plastic turtle-scape and it had a plastic palm tree in the center of an island.  You'd fill the moat around the island with some gravel and water, and my turtle would climb out of the water and onto the island to take a break.  I always remembered how still my turtles were.  I'd try to out stare them...but couldn't.  I'd love to watch his eyes until he moved them in a sort of blink. 
    These were little turtles.  I think the red eared sliders?  (not sure by they did have red markings).  They never lived very long though.  After a few months the shell would go soft, eventually, they'd die.

9. litsabd profile image65
    litsabdposted 12 years ago

I bought one just a few days ago for my children. To be honest I didn't like them but this one I come to adore! They are easy to take care of as long as you keep them warm and wet.

10. Eight8Consulting profile image58
    Eight8Consultingposted 12 years ago

Yes i had a pet a turtle when i was just 4 years old & i loved playing with it.

11. profile image53
    lenardriddposted 12 years ago

Nope, didn't have any pet turtle.Just cats and dogs.smile)

12. profile image0
    Zooey LeRoseposted 12 years ago

My father bought 3 turtles for my sister's birthday in 2005... they were really small turtles and they grew so much throughout the years... out of the 3 one ended differently and stopped growing and its shell had this dent but they are all quiet and good swimmers... We would throw them in the pool during summers and watch them swim really fast... Occasionally, their tank has to be cleaned because it will smell bad...

13. innovationgeek profile image61
    innovationgeekposted 12 years ago

Yessss! little little ones, they were the cutest things ever, but if you don't clean out their bowls often, it can start to smell hmm

14. sturner1 profile image59
    sturner1posted 12 years ago

yes when I was little. He was so cute, His name was fred. One day while cleaning his tank  in our front yard, he got into the grass and we lost him. For about a week we were devasted, until i was getting off the school bus I saw him across the street from my bus stop. it had taken him that long to crawl there smile

15. Kris Heeter profile image71
    Kris Heeterposted 12 years ago

Yes, a very small one - back 40 years ago when I was a kid.  Back then there were all the rage...that is until it came out that they may carry bacteria that could be very harmful to children.  I still remember the little mini-pond we had for him and the fake palm tree.  Thanks for a great trip down memory lane - I had forgotten about that little guy!

16. profile image52
    michelegoldsteinposted 12 years ago

Yes, when I was little. I named him Timmy. I don't know what kind of turtle he was but he was a small one. I don't have much recall of that time in my life.

17. jKorol profile image63
    jKorolposted 12 years ago

Yes I have, his name was Shelly. Even though it wasn't very creative, he one of the best pets I had ever owned. Even though they don't do much each one has his/her own personality and are all unique in there own way. My turtle was definitely the Einstein of turtles, managing to climb on a shell I had as decoration and climbing out of the cage I had for him.

18. beindustrial profile image65
    beindustrialposted 12 years ago

we have two pet turtles at home but they are not mine... they are my daughter's and my son's...

19. Shanaaya profile image60
    Shanaayaposted 12 years ago

i had one ,a baby quarter sized green water turtle and we named it Iggy.... i don't understand till now how it died..sad its very sad..i didn't like it much but it was great having it.. smile now i have 2 parrots and fishes as pets..

20. thumbi7 profile image61
    thumbi7posted 12 years ago

I have one which I brought few weeks back. My children are its admirers. I think its BMR is too low. It hardly moves around and swims. I kept it in a large fish bowl with little water and some clean stones with edges projecting out of water. Mostly it will be sitting on the edge of stone which projects out of water.

21. JasonLicerioPH profile image74
    JasonLicerioPHposted 12 years ago

YES! When I was a child, like maybe 7 or 8, My parents got me a small turtle I called 'toytoy' (toytoy because I did not pronounce turtle well). Sadly, after only a few days he or she was killed by a cat sad I miss that turtle.

22. flowmeter profile image60
    flowmeterposted 12 years ago

Yes I did. I loved them very much but I never seemed to be able to keep them alive. What a pity.

23. thegamer1 profile image58
    thegamer1posted 12 years ago

Yes. I was six years old and I grew a turtle in a paper box. It ate lettuce and stuff, but even as a young boy I got bored rather quick. My father fed it for a while, until he was bored as well, and we released the turtle somewhere.

24. Ramsa1 profile image61
    Ramsa1posted 12 years ago

One of my children had a pet turtle. He found it and we kept it in the basement. It was smelly and we eventually let it go.

25. danielleantosz profile image76
    danielleantoszposted 12 years ago

Yes!  My brothers and I found a painted turtle we kept as a pet. Very pretty, and apparently pretty rare.  I remember my mum telling me people kept trying to buy it!

26. dumindu89 profile image63
    dumindu89posted 12 years ago

Nope..  Even I haven't thought to have a turtle as pet before.

27. ubod profile image41
    ubodposted 12 years ago

Yes, when I was a kid, but I throw into the pond next to my house, because it bit me.
    until now I don't know the turtle is still alive or not sad

28. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 12 years ago

Yes - I had two turtles in my twenties and had them for years until one got lost outside - you cannot stop watching them.  Three years ago - I had two turtles that were rescued - one from a pet store and one from a bad home environment.  They were a joy.  I let them swim in a large container in the backyard and walk around in the grass during summer - I put colored stickers on their backs so I wouldn't lose them.  They wouldn't eat live fish or crickets.  They ate turtle food, lettuce, fruit or live plants from a pet store.  They were both red-earred sliders.
    Elvis he grew to 51/2 inches across and got sick - I took him to the Vet and what the doctor prescribed made my turle die.  How sad.  Then my other turtle was stolen on the porch sitting in a carrier or he escaped somehow - I never found him.
    I love turtles - they are so intelligent - my cats loved them and they kissed them.
    My Bengal at that time would climb in the water with them.  I kept each one in a 20 gal tank with flat rocks and 4-5 inches of water - with a light clipped on and they watched TV or listened to music - I kept them clean - along with the water - I bought a creme shell protector that you applied with a finger and massage it in top and bottlom and latches on sides once a week or so.

29. Frankly Baked profile image38
    Frankly Bakedposted 12 years ago

no, but i wish i did, i had goldfish tank in college and they all died within a month sad

30. Cresentmoon2007 profile image66
    Cresentmoon2007posted 12 years ago

I did when during a short period in my life. Or rather my foster mom did but I loved that turtle like he was my own. Some people may not think they make good pets but boy I sure liked this one. We'd get him crickets from the pet store and stuff like that. He was great. My foster sister and brother didn't really care for him. My foster sister only found him interesting when we fed him. My brother and foster brother found him to be boring. I loved him no matter what. I kind of miss him now.

31. thecoffeewrite profile image69
    thecoffeewriteposted 12 years ago

Yes. For one day. I decided if he was too scary and boring for me to keep.

32. Pikachusif profile image61
    Pikachusifposted 12 years ago

Well, I have honestly never owned a pet turtle, Ultimate Hubber. From what I have learned about semi-aquatic reptiles, I would say that it would provide me with what I would consider a very enjoyable experience to own a pet turtle.

33. Admiral_Joraxx profile image68
    Admiral_Joraxxposted 12 years ago

Yes! we got turtles in the farm. There's two of them. I've been expecting them to have a baby but I guest they are both male or females. Until now they still do not have one.

34. ehow101 profile image39
    ehow101posted 12 years ago

Yes, I got my tutle when I was eight. I am now 38. So you got it right... my pet turtle is now 30!

35. Little two two profile image85
    Little two twoposted 12 years ago

I presently have two turtles, red earred sliders. One of them, Benedict, I have had since I was 8 years old, I am 36 now. He was a reward from a bowling tournament I won, well, a stage, it was four steps to stardom.

Dipstick, the baby of the two is only roughly 13 years old and he has been with me 10 years now. Dipstick was actually 'damaged/abused' by owners that didn't have a clue. It took a few years but I have corrected his growth problems.

Over the years I have taken many turtles ... two were incredibly large red earred sliders about 20 years of age. Sam and Ella (say it fast ... ); these two had 12 inch shells and personalities. Despite what many think, turtles have personalities and characters. Sam would lead and Ella would eventually follow. Two peas in a pod they were.

I had the privilege of housing a snapper, Canadian one. BamBam was his name and wow was he something to own. As soon as it was lights out, it was demolition time in his tank ... its was always a surprise as to what I would wake to. Interestingly BamBam was housed with a small mouth bass, named Striker ...

You know what? I think I have my next hubpage topic ... thank you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)