How do you know when you've reached professional status as a writer?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Richard Craig profile image60
    Richard Craigposted 12 years ago

How do you know when you've reached professional status as a writer?

Is by the first payment you receive, your knowledge on the subject or something else?

2. MarloByDesign profile image78
    MarloByDesignposted 12 years ago

I would say when you have a great HubPages score, and your articles are featured on various websites, i.e. you become a featured writer on Money.com or whatever magazine or site interests you.

What a great question, and I believe that HubPages is a great way to advertise your writing skills to other websites, news agencies, or magazine sites.

i hope this was helpful.

~MarloByDesign
    MarloByDesign.com

3. susanlang profile image59
    susanlangposted 12 years ago

Its really a collection of all three for me. In my case much of the subject matter covered in my book required me to have hands on experience in the field related to lawyer ethics. After all these years it has become second nature for me. The sales of a book is many times reflected on how compelling the story is rather then how well you wrote it. All writers put out books with editing blunders no matter how many times they edit it or how long they have been writing. Its just the nature of the beast. Marketing the book plays an important role in sales as does social media done on the internet. I try to find a balance between them. Right now I'm busy traveling on my book signing tour and have covered 4 states so far. One thing I could use help with here on the hubpages, is for the staff to respond to my flagged hub concerns and to stop Maureen Langford from doing any more damage to the sales of my book by her relentless slander and personal attacks on me. Since Maureen Langford has stolen my copyrighted work here on the hubpages website and used it without my permission in order to cause harm to me, she has hurt the sales of my book and is still trying ruin my reputation. Please hubpages staff, if your listening, ban her as soon as possible. Before any more damage is done! I filed a DMAC complaint and faxed it to you yesterday. The hubber Miss Married, has violated your terms of service repeatedly.  Thank you.

4. kentuckyslone profile image88
    kentuckysloneposted 12 years ago

"Professional" indicates that you get paid for your writing or even that you make your full time living by writing

5. jacqui2011 profile image82
    jacqui2011posted 12 years ago

I have still got a long way to go and a lot to learn, but I would think that you would know you are a professional writer when you can actually earn an income from your work.

6. Dennis AuBuchon profile image61
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 12 years ago

The answer to your question is one each of us as writers will determine.  I have been writing for several years and have found what I believe to be success through the amount of views many of my articles have received.  I have several websites in addition to hubpages that I post articles and in one of those I have earned the recognition of a professional journalist.  I earned this badge based on the quality and content of my articles.  Earning a badge such as this is recognition I have reached the status of a professional writer.

In addition the quality, content and principles addressed in my articles provided recognition to be a part of a unique group.  This group is taking a new approach to reporting the news and providing information about local events.

7. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 12 years ago

You become professional when you get paid. It may be a long time and a lot of work before you become a highly-skilled professional, but you ARE still a professional by the very definition of the word.

8. Jessi10 profile image66
    Jessi10posted 12 years ago

I think Its when you can say that you are earning money while you sleep. Its taken a while, but I am doing it!

9. BizGenGirl profile image88
    BizGenGirlposted 12 years ago

When you feel confident about your ability to preform as a writer. Getting hired or paid for your writing is simple a confirmation of your confidence in your abilities. There are plenty of "qualified" writers who could be professionals, but they lack the drive, motivation and/or confidence to be considered "professionals". Likewise, there are plenty of "professional" writers who may not have a huge portfolio of professional work, but that doesn't necessarily knock them out of the professional status ring.

10. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

"Professional" means of a profession -- making a living at something. Like a journalist or a bestselling author.

I suppose you could include writers who have made a little money, but that might be "part-time professional."

Knowledge on the subject can help one be "competent," but it's no guarantee.

11. profile image0
    Ruach Eishposted 12 years ago

Technically speaking as soon as you have something published you may be considered a professional writer.  Although some would argue that you need to have two or more works published before you reach that status.  (This is in traditional magazine/book writing rather than online writing).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)