Are we supposed to interpret the Bible in our own way?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. LailaK profile image69
    LailaKposted 12 years ago

Are we supposed to interpret the Bible in our own way?

2. einron profile image55
    einronposted 12 years ago

Certainly Not.  Interpretation should be based on sound doctrine as taught by Jesus Christ, the prophets and men of righteousness like the disciples of Jesus.

3. JEDIJESSICUH profile image76
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 12 years ago

I don't know, to be honest. But if we don't interpret it, how are we to understand what certain passages mean? Einron said that interpretation should be based on the doctrine taught by Jesus Christ, yet none of us lived in his day. How are we supposed to know how he interpreted something? There are many religions out there that base their beliefs on the Bible and what makes the different is the way they interpret biblical passages.

Who's to say one specific religion is right? I believe mine is the right way to God, but I won't know for sure until I die. I don't think humans have the ability to comprehend every part of the Bible exactly the way God wanted us to. I think together we can interpret it for what it is, but finding out who's interpreted it correctly and who hasn't is what causes religious wars.

4. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

It is not a point of i"nterpreting" it,  to our own way,.....it is more  of a skill and understanding of " applying" it to our own selves.

The same passage that I read 20 years ago, means something different to me today.

Give milk to the babes, and meat to the grown.

The more that we grow, the more we are expected to know.

One is expected to progress, kindergarten, grade school, junior high, high school, and then college...............keep learning......

It is this way with the Bible also.............learn and grow, seek hidden knowledge, understand..........

It is not so much as in " our own way", it is to our level of understanding.

If, 20 years later,  you are still on chapter one...........you are a slow learner.   You have not developed much  understanding and knowledge.

5. profile image0
    Virgil Newsomeposted 12 years ago

I agree with Einron.  2Pe_1:20  Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

The Word of God is revealed to us and we apply it to our lives.  What is not revealed cannot be applied.

6. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 12 years ago

Yes, I think we are too.  Each person has experiences for that individual and as such Jesus said tht we should not look in a book or in another person or in a church for the answers we seek.  He said that they are within us.  Jesus didn't like traditions which church seem to delve in and they still do not listen to what Jesus said either.  Jesus told us what and where the temple is and it is our body.  He also told us that where two or more are gathered there he will be also.  He never mentioned a church as in the gathering place.  All of his works and miracles according to that time were not written in that one book.  Jesus told us that we would do greater things than him.

7. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Yes and no.

"Our own way" is a troubling phrase. It is potentially full of ego (the master of this world).

But if we do nothing, or simply allow someone else to spoon feed us their own meaning, are we not abdicating our responsibility?

Only with humility can we find the truth and the truth will set us free.

Humility means "not our own way." But we also need to be brave and ask for enlightenment. The truth of our youth is not the same as the truth we find with maturity.

I have my own interpretation, but I wouldn't want anyone to follow it blindly. Each person is responsible for their own path, but they have to let God guide them. We may each start out hearing His voice imperfectly. With humility we can improve on this.

8. Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image60
    Eunice Stuhlhoferposted 12 years ago

Before his ascension Jesus asked the disciples to remain in Jerusalem and wait for the promise of God the father which is the Holy Spirit who would teach them all things. I believe that it is the Holy spirit that teaches, reveals, convicts, comforts and so on.

Without the holy spirit, we can do nothing, not even understanding/interpreting God's word because the word is inspired by him. The Holy spirit is the power of God that helps us to live victoriously on this earth...despite all the challenges. He came in the place of Jesus.

9. sroberts9 profile image82
    sroberts9posted 12 years ago

Jesus tells us that once he leaves he would send us a helper (The Holy Spirit) to help continue to guide us and teach us.  This is our first point of contact to the Spiritual World. 

I believe that we should pray to the Holy Spirit before picking up the Bible for the understanding (interpretation) of God's word. (Bible)

If it is done this way; the knowledge gained will turn into wisdom and God's grace and annointing will be on you and you will be guided to do God's purpose over your life - which will surely please Father God, Jesus and make your life better in ways you can not imagine.

In addition, I believe that it is not not meant to just pick it up and read it and decide on what is meant.  The enemy knows the Bible well and can manipulate thinking so to understand what has been read is not meant that way or to confuse you all together. 

This form of manipulation of thought will serve as a seed and root into your mind where it will be nurtured from evil until a product is produced with the mission to have you on the path of lack, self-destruction and on to your death.   

We need to be respectful and careful with such powerful information.  As everything you will ever need to know is in the Bible.

Some religious groups make it a practice to bath/shower their bodies all over and inside and out including (i.e., inside of ears, mouth and all other parts thoroughly) in prepraration to speak with Jesus.  They ask the Holy Spirit to be reminded of any sins or disappointments that they may have caused God - the ones they remember and the ones they do not- so they can ask for forgiveness and repent before they go into Jesus Christ in prayer.

The goal is have a clean mind, body and soul (heart) before going to the Throne of Jesus and in my opinion shows great honor and respect to Jesus.  Since he is pure and holy - we too need to be as pure and holy as we can be so we may be able to connect to Jesus Christ and our prayers are welcomed by him and discussed with the Father in Heaven on our behalf.

I know the Bible says come as you are - no need for these types of formalities to go to Jesus in prayer.  This is my opinion and how I choose to serve my Lord and Savior.

10. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

The interpretation of all Holy Scripture depends solely upon the Holy Spirit of God.

One can read a certain scripture and get a certain message out of it one day. The next day one can read the same passage and maybe go back one or two verses before or read one or two verses after and get a totally different message.

11. profile image0
    Eddie-Perkinsposted 12 years ago

If everyone interpreted by their own rules we could just throw the Bible out because based on everyone’s interpretation it would contradict itself (just read the answers that are given to see my point). There are rules for interpreting any writing including the Bible. I wrote a hub on understanding the Bible that gives some basic help, but there is much more. Just as we interpret what each other say by a given set of rules we must treat the Bible with an even greater respect because it is God’s Word not man’s word.

12. profile image0
    Fatigmonposted 12 years ago

2Pe 1:20  Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
    2Pe 1:21  For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Here God is saying through Peter, that it is not of private interpretation.

13. preacher2003 profile image58
    preacher2003posted 12 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)