How often should I bathe my dog under these conditions (see below)?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image83
    Laura Schneiderposted 12 years ago

How often should I bathe my dog under these conditions (see below)?

My adult black Lab gets a bath about once a month, more often if she gets into something dirty or stinky. The problem is, she has very dry skin and sheds a lot. I use shampoo for dry skin and shedding (I've tried several brands), all with no luck. My vet just offerred a  prescription shampoo that worked the same as the over-the-counter kind: no difference. I brush her every day or every other day with a Furminator which seems to catch a lot of hair, but yet she sheds and has visible dandruff on her beautiful black coat. Help?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6032757_f260.jpg

2. Cat R profile image68
    Cat Rposted 12 years ago

I don't bath mine that often. Especially in the winter. If it is only mud, I rinse them off or brush it off. They need the skin oils in the winter to stay warm/water 'resistant'.

I would look at what you are feeding and see about some vitamins and such for dogs that gear towards coat and skin.

3. jandee profile image79
    jandeeposted 12 years ago

I bathe my Boxer with water-no shampoo about the same time,monthly, but I do wash his paws every time he 's had a walk such as woods,park.  I put a little anti-bacterial wash in a  bowl of water for this,

4. Brett Winn profile image81
    Brett Winnposted 12 years ago

Laura, I'm not a veterinarian, but I do have a wealth of dog experience. If I were you, I would bathe him in diluted Murphy's Oil Soap. It is vegetable oil based and non drying, and has the added advantage of rinsing extremely rapidly (saves time) and well. Lukewarm to cool water is better than hot for soothing irritated skin. The dry skin and shedding may be a statement regarding his diet ... make sure he's eating a quality diet (meat the first ingredient, low or no corn/wheat additives) and supplement him with a teaspoon of Salmon Oil every day ... all might help greatly, if you're not already doing these things.

Something else that might help ... instead of giving him a full out bath, make a mixture of Seabreeze and water, 50/50 (you can also use Listerine, but Seabreeze smells better, lol) and spray it onto a hand towel until the towel is damp and just wipe him down. That will remove excess hair, dust, and oils from being pet that then in turn attract dust and dirt.

I hope this helps!
    Brett

5. Maria Cecilia profile image82
    Maria Ceciliaposted 12 years ago

Depends on the weather if too hot once a week. If cold as long as they dont smell bad i wont bath them. Use shampoo the one that included oatmeal in the label

6. Linda Bliss profile image86
    Linda Blissposted 12 years ago

Hi Laura. I'm not sure this is a shampoo issue. What food are you giving your dog? Some commercially prepared dog foods that you buy in the supermarket are not very good and it could be that he would benefit from different type of food. Look up your brand of dog food on the internet and see if you could try a better, perhaps organic type.

I'm giving my dog a table spoon of olive oil in his food every week and his coat is always shiny and glossy, and doesn't shed more than what's normal. I also feed mine a raw diet which is supposed to be good for allergies, if you have time why don't you read up about it and try it out?

I'm also not sure you need to bathe him that often - it might actually dry out his skin more?

7. Seeker7 profile image82
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

Hi there - glad to know that there is another dog that only loves the smelly and muddy puddles - like my Collie, Roy!

There is some great advice here and I can't do better than that for you in regards to washing. However, I had one dog and it wasn't the washing that was causing dry skin but his diet. When we changed his diet into a more natural one, and that also contained natural oils, there was a huge difference in his skin - which was dry and flaky. Although we kept an eye on his skin, we didn't have much bother after that. Our vet told me that some of the ingredients in some dog foods, especially if they have additives and some of the proteins, can cause a few issues with dogs and having problems with the skin was one of them.

Hopefully this will help a bit along with the other advice that has been given.

8. SnowsGhost profile image60
    SnowsGhostposted 12 years ago

I have a similar problem with my lab. Since it is more of a skin issue you may want to try switching to a different food. If that doesn't work she may have some type of skin allergy, especially if she is itching or licking a lot.

9. Mardi profile image76
    Mardiposted 12 years ago

Deciding how often to bathe a dog is important for their coat and skin. Most breeds should be bathed as infrequently as possible so get off that routine bath cycle for your dogs good health. read more

10. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't use the Furminator every day - it can irritate the skin. Evaluate the food you are feeding your dog - dry skin can be due to nutritional deficiencies. Feed a good quality food, preferably one with fish oil.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)