Why are so many "Christians" the fist to judge others, when the Bible tells us n

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. dmop profile image80
    dmopposted 12 years ago

Why are so many "Christians" the fist to judge others, when the Bible tells us not to?

Luke 6:37 "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:"

2. noturningback profile image60
    noturningbackposted 12 years ago

Christians have a responsibility to let others know when they are doing wrong and others who are not considered Christians should also let another who is clearly wrong know they are and not just turn a blind eye.
    As far as Christians judging non-Christians, I'm not going to say that doesn't happen, but we must be in alignment with the laws of the community and relate to the offender the nature of their offense. Unless of course immediate intervention is required such as a burglary or assault in progress, then we ned to notify the authorities or perhaps intervene if no other choice exists.

3. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 12 years ago

Well, we're all human. I doubt Christians are any quicker to judge then other religion or non-religion people.

4. RJ68 profile image59
    RJ68posted 12 years ago

Some people think that becoming a Christian means to become sanctified, self-righteous, sanctimonious, and full of "holier than thou".  They do not understand that they have it all wrong and that isn't what Christianity is about. 
    A lot of people have to humbled themselves and establish a relationship with their Father.  They are full of self and have yet to lay down those things.  Just have to pray for them to get an understanding.

5. rdlang05 profile image87
    rdlang05posted 12 years ago

Feel free to read my hub on the topic "Should Christians Ever Judge?" http://rdlang05.hubpages.com/hub/Should … EVER-Judge

6. cprice75 profile image84
    cprice75posted 12 years ago

A parallel passage to the one you quoted is in Matthew 7.  In this instance, Christ commanded his hearers to not judge because they would be judged with the same standard.  He then went into the idea that people would complain about a splinter in their brother's eye while simultaneously having a log in theirs.  He then tells them to get the log out of their eye, so that they can help their brother with the splinter.  In other words, don't be hypocritical in your judging is the moral of the story. Judging the actions of others is permissible when held up against right and wrong.  I don't think Jesus was telling his followers to not make a judgment on someone who is a rapist or a murderer.  It is perfectly right to call such activity wrong and sinful.  Jesus is not saying that we can't call wrong wrong.  Christ also told his followers that you will know people by their fruits, i.e. actions.  I think that many people avoid the context of the verse to justify their actions.  That being said, we as people are not the ultimate judge, and we are not the ones to ultimately condemn.  God forgives (the repentant), so we should as well.

7. Cre8tor profile image93
    Cre8torposted 12 years ago

I too believe that this issue stretches past Christians and that the Bible does make further reference to how judgement is to be passed. It's not the judgement I have so much a problem with...it's the need to voice it as loudly and often as possible that gets me. Perhaps offering a different "path" is the responsibility of a Christian  but don't tell me it's their responsibility to tell someone they're wrong. In my opinion, that approach will push "sinners" away from Christ, not bring them closer. Try talking to that person in place of letting them know how wrong they are.

(And if I'm wrong, please don't prioritize your sins. Make sure you confront every inconsiderate person you ever cross, curser, gumball stealer, and bratty disrespectful child at the store.)

8. Hezmyjoy profile image61
    Hezmyjoyposted 12 years ago

Because everyone doesn't read the bible and follow the instruction like we are supposed to. Also as Christians we must realize that we all have different levels of maturity. While some are doing well in not stealing from another, someone else is priding themselves in following all of the commandments, not knowing that pride is not a good thing in Christ. We aren't suppose to brag, accept bribes, gossip, or stay angry too long at each other. We have all fallen short of His glory, yet we can get back up, ask forgiveness, learn from our mistakes and keep going through Christ Jesus. I am so glad there is a Savior - aren't you?

Excellent question.  smile

http://www.lenorabrown.blogspot.com

9. THEHuG5 profile image60
    THEHuG5posted 12 years ago

Everybody judges, Christian or not. I think what irritates most people about some Christians is the attitudes that come with their judgments. Not only do they judge but they try to tell you how to live your life when they themselves have their own issues that they should work out first.
    People are going to judge each other no matter what but the problem only comes in when people can't keep their judgments to themselves. If nobody asks for your opinion then keep your mouth shut unless the situation is extreme.

10. Prophet4Today profile image61
    Prophet4Todayposted 12 years ago

I call this the Jesus paradox
    Jesus says judge not less you be judged and He speaks of pointing out the speck in your brother’s eye. I realized that when I as a Christian throw these in someone else’s face, I have just violated them myself. In judging someone for pointing out the speck in my eye, rather then dealing with the splinter in theirs, then aren’t I in affect judging there to be something in the other’s eye and therefore must have a splinter in my own? ?If I accuse someone of judging me aren’t I also condemning them for having been judgmental towards me? Isn’t that condemnation in and of itself a judgment?? My point is, Jesus seems to have set up much of His teaching so that His admonishments can only be used by me on me. Jesus is looking to do His will in me and He wants to do the same in you. He doesn’t ask me to fix you, Jesus asks me to point you to Him.

Another aspect; In 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Paul makes a list of some of the unrighteous who will not inherit the Kingdom of God. This list assumes that the individual is choosing to remain in the "unrighteous" life style. Unrighteous is Paul's a way of saying not right or in tune with God.
    If a murderer accepts God's gift of salvation by faith in Jesus, than he has been made right with God. But if he continues in his murderous lifestyle, then there is no way his faith conversion was for real to begin with for by his fruits he is known. Only God can judge his heart, but by his actions I can make a judgement call as to wether I should let my teenage daughter date him.
    Now change murder to homosexuality, theft, lying, adultery, covetousness, and there is probably something in there for each of us. But slipping up and repenting is not the same as continuing in the life style. God wants Jesus to be the only lifestyle you identify yourself with. He doesn't want to be number one on a list of ten. He wants to be number one on a list of one.

11. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

I believe your premise may be faulty. I do not know for a fact, nor have you cited a statistic from a reliable source that provides any evidence that "Christians are the first to judge others." In fact, Christians are called to judge.  Read this: http://www.thebereancall.org/node/8556 

You cannot take one verse from the Bible and ask a rhetorical question that is really just a disguise for a sweeping generalization.

What the verse means that you have quoted in your question above is that we should not point fingers at others without examining the fault within ourselves, as you have done here by asking this question.

I think perhaps your question is really, "Why aren't Christians perfect?" when their Holy Book requires perfection. And why do some point out the error in others' ways?

The Bible teaches that we are all sinners. None of us is good, only God. Even Christians who are saved by the grace of God are not "good." They are just saved and they aim every day anew to follow Christ and His teachings.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)