Why do you react so negatively to everything Christian?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)
  1. donnaisabella profile image73
    donnaisabellaposted 12 years ago

Why do you react so negatively to everything Christian?

I have noticed that religion, especially Christianity is a 'hot button' here in America at this time. For those of you who seem to be so off put by Christianity, what is your reason for the negativity.

2. irenemaria profile image59
    irenemariaposted 12 years ago

I never react negatively to true Christans and what they stand for. But I do really feel almost ashamed over those SAYING they are Christians when they really ar not.

3. Electro-Denizen profile image79
    Electro-Denizenposted 12 years ago

Perhaps the fundamental ignorance of people who haven't studied the origins of scripture, and everything that went into its making... from the original translations in Hebrew and Greek, to the Roman influence, and the quashing of the so-called gnostic Christians early on (which reflected many truths in yogic traditions i.e. 'my yolk is easy' ... where the root of yolk is found in Sanskrit, yoga etc)

Quoting passages of the bible to support any personal notion...

the guilt/conversion train that is preached nearly everywhere...

the fake conversions which are emotional renewals rather than deep spiritual transfigurations...

and personally, how ignorant words hammered out in the Church an in BS pamphlets made me paranoid as a young teenager and made my life crap...

But actually, Islam is today also guilty of lack of true discussion, which true clerics deplore, but are more afraid to say out loud, since the fear cover is far greater in Islam.

4. ptosis profile image69
    ptosisposted 12 years ago

This animosity is recent because historically science and religion are not mutually exclusive paradigms. The myth of animosity between science and religion began with John Tyndall in 1874 read more

5. grinnin1 profile image68
    grinnin1posted 12 years ago

I agree with your observation, it seems like Christianity in particular is rabidly attacked . I have put in my 2 cents but then stay away from those forums for the most part. I wish there could be more respectful conversation and debate and less  rhetoric and hatred

6. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

i don't react at all to christianity, i react to people who try to act like real christians. the religion itself is silly enough but when a person acts like they follow the "word" but they don't , it bothers me. for the life of me i can't see why people believe in some god but i think it's even worse when they act like they are doing what the bible preaches.if you think christians have it rough, look at how people react to muslims.

7. Ramsa1 profile image62
    Ramsa1posted 12 years ago

I do not react negatively to Christianity or any other religion. People should be free to believe whatever they wish. However, some of the "leaders" in every religion act in shocking ways. And that's all I'll say.

8. Max Shelley profile image61
    Max Shelleyposted 12 years ago

I'm not so much put off by Christianity, it's just the FANATICS we non-Christians hate. Unfortunately they are also the most noticeable ones as good Christians usually just keep to their own business. The Fanatics are the ones who try to convert us every chance they get. Also the ones who are WAY too open about their hypocritical prejudicial bullshit mainly the Westboro Baptist Church, they actually picket the funerals of gay soldiers. My grandmother is the kind of christian I like though she doesn't try to convert people she's just a nice person who's savior is Jesus Christ.

To add to this I'm a spiritual seeker, I believe in god, but I think Jesus was merely the best wise-man of his time. However I also take beliefs/philosophies from the eastern religions too, I believe in reincarnation for example...

9. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 12 years ago

I personally don't myself, I actually respect everything that Christians believe in, because they have every right to worship whomever they choose to worship, just as any other religious person or group has such a right. Those who disrespect any religious group today, are simply ignorant in my book, and don't deserve the time of day, nor the energy to dispute with such folks.
    Ignorance is bliss and that may be the reason for such wrongful acts such as that, this is also the same for anything in life, when people choose to form a personal stance against something that is righteous, and healing for many others.

10. EyesStraightAhead profile image75
    EyesStraightAheadposted 12 years ago

Christianity, I believe, has become a "hot button" because of all the hypocrites. I follow the teachings of Christ, believe that He was the Son of God, and yet I hate to use the word Christian because it comes with a connotation of hating other religions, being ignorant to tolerance, and being a bigot. I am none of those things. I have friends from all walks of life, as Christ did. I have family from all cultures, as Christ did. I find no reason to judge anyone when I am not yet perfect myself. In fact, I find when I read the Bible that seldom did Christ judge so much as He encouraged: "Go and sin no more." "Pick up your mat and walk." "Go out into the world and make disciples of all nations." He didn't judge and cause condemnation, even for a whore caught in the situation. I believe if we spent less time judging others and more time just loving others and actually being like Jesus was, we would find some amazing thoughts and talents here on earth. We should not be afraid of our children studying other religions, thoughts, etc. Like others have mentioned here, I enjoy learning from the Dahli Lama (and I may have spelled that incorrectly) and from my Buddhist friends, I enjoy reading Rumi and learning with my Muslim friends, and I enjoy hearing what my athiest and agnostic friends think about things. The only way one truly knows what he or she believes is to get out there and communicate with others of different opinions respectfully. We can all learn from one another. So I think we bring it on ourselves that people act so negatively because the fanatics have made us look like a group of intolerant, racist bigots when that is not true of those who truly practice Christ's teachings.

11. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 12 years ago

Christianity is one of most widespread religions in the United States. While it may seem that some people are openly hostel to Christians, consider how many more Christians are hostel to them. I'm not saying Christian people are prone to hostility, its just a mater of statistics. A group with one million people is bound to produce more angry/hateful people than a group with only a thousand in it. Most other religions in the U.S. (or lack of religions) are a minority, so it's important to remember that. Also consider that religion is a requirement for nearly all political offices. If an atheist tried to run for president, he would never even get into the primaries. Atheists are one of the least trusted groups in America and it has nothing to do with how they act, and everything to do with the false perception that someone who has religion is inherently good.

Personally, I struggle with Christians who use their faith as an easy way out; or a reason not to think critically about social issues. Anyone who tells me that gays shouldn't marry because the bible says so, has clearly marked themselves as a bad christian and a bad human being. The bible is meant to teach people how to lead a good life, it is not meant to be used as a sword to murder everyone it deems weaker.

12. Freeway Flyer profile image82
    Freeway Flyerposted 12 years ago

I don't react negatively to everything Christian, although there are elements in Christian theology that I find to be nonsensical. What I find irritating is the fundamentalists' tendency to not consider the possibility that they might actually be wrong, and to not judge their belief system by the same standards that they judge the beliefs of others (of of their own beliefs in other aspects of their lives). My annoyance, therefore, is not reserved specifically for fundamentalist Christianity. I feel the same annoyance in response to any fundamentalist belief system.

I also find it irritating when American Christians are so easily manipulated by politicians who claim to stand for family values, and they don't see the various ways that their political beliefs and lifestyles contradict the teachings of the man that they claim to follow. Jesus had some radical moral teachings that few self-professed Christians take very seriously, partly because they rarely read the book that they claim to believe in. But then again, hypocrisy can also be found in all religions.

The only reason that Christianity gets more attention in the United States than other faiths - in both positive and negative ways - is that it is the religion of the majority.

13. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 12 years ago

I'm not really put off by it, except when it's shoved in my face.  If you're a Christian, that's great:  live your beliefs.  If you do that, then I won't need to listen to you; I'll see for myself.

14. tom hellert profile image60
    tom hellertposted 12 years ago

Ladies and gents let me enlighten some of you and let you know the truth-
    when dealing with religeon, helth, love , science, baking, anything else Beware Zealots....anyone who sys they know something so much- ThEre iS no OTHER anything other than what they say- beware that person they are a ZeALOT and beware because they likely dont know it...
    th

15. THEHuG5 profile image59
    THEHuG5posted 12 years ago

I think what puts me off is that almost everyone I meet claims to be a Christian but the way that they live only shows the complete opposite. They'll curse out their boyfriend on Facebook for everyone to see and then have the nerve to put a quote from the bible on their wall 20 minutes later. It's ridiculous. I know that nobody is perfect but if you say you're a Christian at least try to live a decent lifestyle and treat others with respect. If you're a true Christian you won't have to throw your beliefs in everyone's face because they'll be able to see what kind of a person you are by the way that you live. Show don't tell.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't have a problem with REAL Christians. Just the pretend ones.

16. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 12 years ago

I react much more negatively to conservative Christians.  They are the ones who are against equal rights for homosexuals, and who deny scientific findings when they "go against God's word."   It's almost like they completely abdicate their critical thinking skills when it comes to examining their own religion,but they have no problem pointing out absurdities in the Koran or the book of Mormon.

There are many Christians who are not discriminatory towards homosexuals and who also accept the science on climate change and evolution.  Those people I have no issue with.  I may think they are wrong, but I am not going to be as antagonistic towards them.

17. sakimakelly profile image59
    sakimakellyposted 12 years ago

I suppose I have several responses to that.  Let me first preface my responses by saying I do not believe any religion to be bad, but some of the people that practice it use it as a tool for bad deeds.  First, we live in a nation where there is suppose to be a separation of church and state.  Yet, Christians use their religious beliefs to attempt to make political arguments.  As a lawyer, this is ridiculous.  Religion should have no place in the discussions of abortion, capital punishment, gay marriage or gays in the military.  Second, look at the history of Christianity.  People believe radical Muslims have killed the most people in the name of religion.  Wrong, it was Christians: the Crusades, Inquisition, colonialism, Salem "witches", extermination camps in Eastern Europe and so many other atrocities.  Third, I agree with many of the other postings that the hypocrisy of so many Christians is overwhelming.  Example: radical Christians picketing at the funerals of those in the military because they are against gays in the military.  How heartless!  Fourth, and my final response because I can go on and on, I am Jewish, and the hate that Jews have experienced throughout history, especially in the "name of Christianity", will never allow me to view Christianity as something I would pass on to my children.  My boyfriend is Christian, and he and I have discussed several times that our children will be raised Jewish as he himself can't stand the hypocrisy of Christianity.  I find it interesting that Christians get so upset when people view their religion negatively yet they should stop being so insensitive to what other religions have been experiencing throughout history by Christians.

18. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

I'm put off by Christianity because every christian I run into has to tell me I'm going to hell and will suffer eternal damnation because I'm a pagan. People keep telling you that, and you tend to think ill of everything and anything associated with them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)