Should a Christian own/carry a loaded gun?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (62 posts)
  1. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 11 years ago

Should a Christian own/carry a loaded gun?

I ask because the bible teaches us to trust in God for protection and safety, isn't owning a gun like saying you don't? More over, I don't thing God likes guns to begin with.

First thing I think of is what would Jesus do? - He certainly wouldn't own a gun. He taught to turn the other cheek is someone strikes you.

2. Ian Dabasori Hetr profile image74
    Ian Dabasori Hetrposted 11 years ago

Its not good and bad at the same time depending on the place you live

3. blessedp profile image81
    blessedpposted 11 years ago

Good question and I agree with your views with an exception though.  That is if their jobs require them to carry one.

1. celafoe profile image52
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

and if you believe that and  they believe that WHY would they have such a job so to make them hypocrites

2. Jack Burton profile image78
      Jack Burtonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If carrying a gun is a moral sin, and you feel that others whose "job" it is to carry one should somehow protect you in the time of need you are asking others to shoulder a "moral sin" because you refuse to. There is a word and concept for that

4. WillStarr profile image82
    WillStarrposted 11 years ago

Suppose you saw a strange man with a knife entering your child's bedroom late at night, and a gun is available, close at hand. Would you use that gun to protect your child? Do you think Jesus would want you to let your child die?

Peter was always armed when he was Jesus' disciple. Why didn't Jesus disarm Peter?

I think He wants us to use common sense, and defend ourselves if necessary.

ii3rittlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know people use this reasoning and I understand it, but at the same time there are other ways to protect your children - alarm systems being one.

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In an ideal world. I am not advocating gun ownership, especially irresponsible gun ownership or violence but I think we need to use some sense.

3. ercramer36 profile image92
      ercramer36posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point.  Jesus even told Peter to go and buy a sword. As a husband and father, if you enter my house without my permission you will meet my gun.  I heard of a sign that says "I believe in God and guns, if you break in you will meet both."

4. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Brittles:

An alarm system is not a force field and there are ways to disable it. I love your heart, and as always, you are coming from a good place, but if you were my wife or daughter, I know God would want me to defend your life, with my all.

5. celafoe profile image52

there are a lot of dead people that thought like you.   Criminals have no qualms about killing you if you get in their way.  an alarm system is no defense at all.

6. Jack Burton profile image78

Why would ii3rittles put his trust in "alarm systems" rather than God? And what's up with him locking his doors at night? Or his car doors. Or that fire extinguisher kept in his kitchen. All these violate his "trust in God" but he keeps doing them.

5. ElderYoungMan profile image68
    ElderYoungManposted 11 years ago

The Father is also clear that we are to take care of His temple.  I never owned a gun until we entered into this period of change, where followers of the Most High and the Messiah are hated.  There is an Apocryphal (forbidden) book of the Bible called Maccabees.  These 5 books dealt with the Greek invasion and occupation of the holy land.  Read that and I'm guessing your position about defending your person and those things holy to you will probably change a little bit.

6. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't say what anyone else should or shouldn't do. But I would suggest that this is a good question for any Christian to ask himself or herself. I am a pacifist; "Thou shalt not kill," "Love thine enemy," and "Those who live by the sword shall die by the sword" all seem pretty clear to me. We are called to be fishers of men, not hunters of men.

So, I would suggest that the only Christian use of a gun is to protect ourselves and our families from truly dangerous wild or feral animals, like, say, rabid dogs.

That's how I feel, I don't want to shoot or kill someone else. There are ways to protect your family, such as alarm systems and even owning dogs. I think God would prefer us all to use owning a gun as a last resort, if that.

I don't want to hurt anyone either, but I think people need to be able to defend themselves within reason.

3. ithabise profile image72
      ithabiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is it not a bit simplistic (and unfair) to call people "hunters of men" because they own a gun? I can love my neighbor but use common sense, too. Even if I own a gun, I need not be "trigger happy." It really should be a last resort in a grave situati

4. Jack Burton profile image78

I would give sid more credit if he promises that he'll demand the police leave their guns at the station house when he calls 911 in the middle of the night to investigate the sound of his downstairs window glass being broken into.

5. celafoe profile image52
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

anyone trusting in an alarm system, a dog or the cops deserves what happens to them

7. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

The Bible says nothing about driving a car either and most of us own one - at least in the United States. I don't think God intends for us to allow ourselves to be assaulted or worse. I think it means that we should not be quick to retaliate and leave vengeance to God. I think we are supposed to live in peace as best as possible in this fallen world, but making ourselves vulnerable or allowing someone to attack us without defending ourselves is just stupid and suicidal. God gave us a brain.

1. profile image0
      Gusserposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said. God is not against violence when needed.

Thank you

3. ercramer36 profile image92

God calls us to commonsense, not weakness.  David, described as a man after God's own heart, killed ten of thousands as a warrior.  God even likens his Word to a double edged sword.

4. profile image0

I agree, Ddt. Vengeance is God's, but having the wisdom to defend your family is expected. If God considers those who don't support their families to be worse than heathens, I wonder how He feels about those who refuse to protect their families?

8. profile image0
    Gusserposted 11 years ago

I suppose you think a gun used for hunting is wrong too. Would Jesus use a lame argument to try to prove an invalid point?

I don't agree with hunting unless its for food. Hunting for sport, to me, is cruel.

2. profile image0
      Gusserposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you eat meats?

3. profile image0

I agree with you, Brittles. Hunting for sport is barbaric and morally wrong.

4. Jack Burton profile image78

The African tribes who manage and preserve game animals in the protected areas thrive and survive from the money earned from "sport hunters." Without them the animals would be worthless and soon be completely slaughtered... and the people starving

9. Cherrietgee profile image66
    Cherrietgeeposted 11 years ago

I totally get where you're coming from, but I think this is something that's up to the individual.

I am a Christian, and I trust God with every aspect of my life. However, I don't trust people I don't know. When I moved out of my parents home in Texas to my own apartment, I had every intention of purchasing a handgun for my own protection. I'd heard too many stories of women waking up in the middle of the night with strange men standing over them about to sexually assault them. I didn' next want to be the next victim. The only thing that stopped me from purchasing a gun was the fact that I moved to Illinois where people didn't have the right to carry concealed weapons. I didn't think that owning a gun meant I didn't trust God; it just meant I wanted to be prepared for the worst.

10. glmclendon profile image61
    glmclendonposted 11 years ago

I would think you might want to think and pray about this. What happens if you have to shoot someone? I can not say how you should run your house, but I have no fire arms in the house.

1. ercramer36 profile image92

If I shoot someone who was not invited in my house is not on me, but the fool that is in my house.  I would only shoot if my family was threatened.

Yeppers, I am going to "run from my house" when the bad guy comes in and leave my wife and little children behind to experience his tender mercies. That is the appropriate "Christian" action to take. Or... maybe not.

11. MickeySr profile image78
    MickeySrposted 11 years ago

"I don't thing God likes guns to begin with. First thing I think of is what would Jesus do? - He certainly wouldn't own a gun. He taught to turn the other cheek . . . "

God had His people take-up weapons - they didn't have guns then but He instructed them to use the weapons (swords) that they did have. So, I'm not sure why, or how you come to, think that God doesn't like guns.

And, I understand the appeal of 'what would Jesus do', but that simply doesn't work as a guideline for life - Jesus is God incarnate and came here with a very particular purpose, much of what He did was nothing any of us can or ought to do. At one point in His work when He sent the 12 to go spread the word He told them not to go to the Gentiles but only to the Jews - another time He sent them with no such restriction, He sent them once with no provisions - He sent them another time telling them to take provisions, etc. Many take these as contradictions, asserting that He said or did one thing one place and said or did something else another place - but He knew what He was doing and had a plan and purpose . . . throughout His ministry His disciples urged Him to go to Jerusalem and again and again He answered "My time has not yet come" - finally, when the authorities had determined to kill Him, He announced they were gong to Jerusalem saying "My time has come". My point; if you try to live your life, make decisions, based on 'what would Jesus do' you'll have a very confusing course before you because, Jesus had a very specific work He was accomplishing and it was nothing any of us can follow.

And, because Jesus didn't carry a sword, I assume He would not (today) carry a gun - but we know at least Peter (if not many or all His disciples) carried a sword and apparently Jesus did not disapprove. He did teach that we ought to 'turn the other cheek', but not only and always - He gave very specific circumstances, not a general philosophy, as to when to 'turn the other cheek'. Remember, Jesus very directly declared "Think not that I have come to bring peace, but a sword (or today, it would be a gun)". Many today follow a 'Jesus' of their own imagination or a 'Jesus' taught in a lame Sunday School or a shallow sermon - the Jesus of the Bible is quite different from the one many folks prefer to pretend is He is.

1. MickeySr profile image78
      MickeySrposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The page here says my answer has been "hidden due to negative feedback"? What negative feedback? The red -2 under my answer, or had someone reported me to some authority - I see no feedback at all to my answer. Certainly we can all share our view . ?

2. ElderYoungMan profile image68
      ElderYoungManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Read the first and second book of Maccabees from the Apocrypha.

3. profile image0

Mickey, I gave you a plus, now you are batting .500. :0)

I think the red minuses are considered to be "negative" feedback by Hubpages. So, if the minuses outnumber the plusses, one is often "hidden" down below.

4. MickeySr profile image78

. . . well, now you can at least see my answer (thanks). That strikes me as odd - in a public opinion forum to 'hide' someone's viewpoint if some disagree . . ?! Seems a goofy way to do things to me.

5. rockybashful profile image58
      rockybashfulposted 11 years agoin reply to this

After pentacost, you never find any of the apostles using a weapon. Their lives were in danger and they allowed themselves to get their butt whipped and thrown into prisons and you're trying to justify carrying weapons?

You speak nonsense -.-

6. Jack Burton profile image78

In Acts 23 St. Paul was protected against a murder plot by an armed force of 200 soldiers,70 horsemen and 200 spearmen. I don't recall reading that he condemned any of the armed men for protecting him.

12. iwriteforyou profile image59
    iwriteforyouposted 11 years ago

In the UK guns are illegal so there is only a small minority of people that will have them. I think that gun ownership is fuelled by fear i.e. I need to have a gun because someone else might have one and then I won't be able to defend myself.

Where does it end ?. Do two wrongs make a right ?

Religion is a highly emotive subject so the best I can offer is my opinion. Should we trust in God for our protection and safety. Yes, in terms of being a good person and having 'emotional security', however, physical safety I would say No. If I walk through a bad neighbourhood at 3 am in the morning with my money belt on the outside of my clothes i'm probably going to have a few problems that God won't help me with.

Would a gun save me in that neighbourhood or would a better idea be to not to have a gun and be fast asleep in my bed in a decent area ?. Common sense is our best weapon.

I don't believe any good can come from guns, they are designed to injure and kill.

1. MickeySr profile image78

You're presenting flawed arguments and then validating your view on their premises; someone defending themselves against an attacker is not "two wrongs" - it's one wrong and one right. 3am? What about when you ARE in bed and they come into your home?

If no good can come from guns iwriteforyou would be speaking German right now. along with all his fellow Britons. Would you like to send back to us the millions of guns sent to the UK in the late 1930s to give your country enough to protect itself?

13. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

Brittles, this is a tough question to answer, but let me preface what I am about to say by stating that I do not own a gun...nor have I ever.

It is true that Peter was armed with a sword and even in the presence of Christ was not ashamed to weild it.

It is also true that Christ, Himself, fashioned a whip to use against the money changers in the Temple.

The Almighty told little David to pick up 5 smooth stones, though only one was needed to put down Goliath. The stone did not kill Goliath, so David used Goliath's own sword against him to finish the job. God could have killed Goliath by Himself, but He chose not to.

In all these situations and circumstances, weapons were used, and in two out of three of these situations, the Lord either used a weapon or told someone else to use one.

So, is it wrong? Apparently not. The use of a weapon, I believe, says nothing about one's faith in Christ and sometimes it is out of obedience that one carries one.

Do you not defend yourself from starvation by eating? Do you not protect yourself from the elements by entering your home or by wearing cloths? I am sure these could be construed as being breaches of faith as well, because if one wanted to go down this road one could say, "Why feed yourself when God will do it for you. Why get out of the elements when God can make it stop raining?" This line of thinking could go on forever. :0)

So, herein lies the question: why protect yourself from temporal danger, when God can do it for you? I think I have already shown that you do other things for yourself (with God assisting), so why not protect yourself as well?

Hope this helps in some way. - C.J.

14. profile image0
    AndriyRposted 11 years ago

By all means, a Christian shouldn't be armed. An excellent point and research of Gospel about this issue has been made by Leo Tolstoy in his book "What I Believe". It is in a public domain, and you can find it on "booksshouldbefree" (both Audio and text versions).

so many use  scripture out of context to say what they want to -- welcome to their club

15. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 11 years ago

Should a Christian be writing on HubPages where he/she often judges others or publishes judgemental writings?

Also, I will just say that if various peope who are Christians (e.g. Christian soldiers) did not own and carry loaded guns, their lot would become extinct in no time.

1. ElderYoungMan profile image68
      ElderYoungManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said Old Sage.  Most of us Christians don't remember what life was like before 64.  You do and I've read about it at length.  Anyone that understands what happens when financial systems break down understands that it is defending ones self and p

16. bockshiner profile image78
    bockshinerposted 11 years ago

Jesus' disciples had weapons so Jesus wasn't against carrying weapons.

17. profile image58
    cassiefranksposted 11 years ago

The only reason for owning a gun to begin with is to protect  you  from harm, yes I understand that in the bible it says to honor god, trust in him, but  are you guaranteed that he is going to be there to protect you?  Guns  are also there to help provide food, the way that I think is that if it was made then it must have been inspired by god in order for it to be made otherwise it wouldn’t have been done, I as a Christian own one myself. I have owned one for a long time. There is nothing wrong with owning one it’s not a bad thing. They are there for a reason that’s like asking a Christian person with cancer if they should not get treatment because they trust in god. There is nothing wrong with technology if there was then god would have found a way to destroy it, but it is your choice you don’t have to own one it’s there for protection and for hunting.

18. MrMaranatha profile image73
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

Jesus ordered the apostles to buy swords and carry them... Peter cut off the ear of Malchus with one of them... Jesus had to heal him... put his ear back on if you remember...

There is a time to fight and stand up for what is right.. and then there is a time to lay down our arms... and accept our fate because of certain types of persecution... the difference being timing...

IF its a petty robbery or rape where religion is not the object but rather, a social wrong is being perpetrated against innocent people... then it is for Christians to stand for what is right... for the Shepherds to defend the sheep. 

But... When for example: IF it is the Church being invaded...  it is for the Pastor, Elders and Deacons to fight and buy time... in order that the sheep may be saved... and flee to safety.... when the flight of the sheep has been secured... or when there is no hope left in that avenue.. it is then for the rest of our fate to be turned over to the Lord... and to die as sheep at the hands of the wolves.

19. Team Wiseman profile image80
    Team Wisemanposted 11 years ago

Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. Matthew 26:52
    I think it is safe to replace sword with gun or any weapon really.

Nuff said!

talk about twisting scripture and out of context.  you got it

2. MrMaranatha profile image73
      MrMaranathaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did you forget who told them to bring the swords to begin with?  I think you need to keep the bible in context...nuffsaid.

20. celafoe profile image52
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

we are not of this world but do have to live in it.    Since it is getting worse and we are responsilble for protecting that which is ours or course.    Jesus sometimes, depending on the circumstances told His people to take a sword, others not to.   so we have direction to do what is necessary,   the only time it would not be ok is if the Holy Spirit specifically tells you not to.

1. profile image0

You are right - St. Peter carried a sword...even in the presence of Christ Jesus, the Son of God.

21. profile image51
    simplegospelposted 11 years ago

the question isn't if a christian could own a gun, God gave us animals and permission to hunt them. if your means of hunting is with a gun, then i have nothing to say. but the real question is, that you can answer for yourselve, should as a christian use a gun for taking human life. there a lot of verses in new testament about violence and so on. but while trying  to answer this remeber old testament citys for people who killed by accident and had to flee or be killed. also remeber that the slayer would be guiltless for killing him. killing would be punisble by death by accident or on purpose. so can you own a gun for the purpose of killing a human being?

certainly as long as it is not murder.   plenty of scriptural examples
      and American Christians better get this sorted out soon because that is coming soon unless God intervenes.

22. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

Being a Christian and carrying a gun are not necessarily related or in conflict with each other.

Soldiers, policemen, security people, hunters can all be Christians and carry guns for their own safety, the safety of others and for sport, such as hunting.

If the person is carrying the gun with the idea of finding an excuse to use it, using it in an unsafe manner or to commit a crime, then that person, if he claims to be a Christian is not living up to his Christian values.

Some who know my views on gun control may say my answer contradicts previous comments I have made. They do not. I think a real Christian who owns a gun will use it in a safe manner, keep it out of reach of children and would be willing to submit to background checks, safety classes, etc.

23. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 11 years ago

I'm a christian and I carried a weapon when I was in the Army.

24. Jesus1st profile image61
    Jesus1stposted 10 years ago

God surely does teach us to trust Him and He will protect us. From my own experiences I know that He keeps His Word to the letter.

However, you must know the content of what allows God to intervene on your behalf. It is not arbitrarily done. The protection is for those who keep His Word, who worship Him in Spirit, and in truth, who confess that Jesus is Lord, who hold close to the commandments as is humanly possible, and those who are willing to forgive and repent of their sins, daily.

You see, just as we have to follow man's rules to stay out of problems, we have to follow God's rules for Him to protect, and guide us through all the rough places that are placed in front of us by our enemy, the devil!

Just because you were born on this earth does not put you in a place of the elite with God. Only if you do His will, and follow the Word are you put in a place of protection.

So many believers miss the point of obedience till it's pathetic.

There is no place in the Bible that tells us that we cannot protect ourselves. Yes, Jesus does say to turn the other cheek, but He doesn't say what to do after that, does He?

In many scriptures the Bible teaches us about spiritual warfare. See these scriptures; Isaiah 54:17; Psalm 91; Ephesians 6:10-18; and James 4:7 are but a few scriptures that give us the command to protect ourselves, no-matter how we do it.

The most intense battle that we face though, is our spiritual battles. These are what leads mankind to destruction if you don't know who, or why, you are doing battle in the first place. 

About the gun. God does tell us how protect ourselves. If it's by a gun, then so be it!

25. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years ago

Unless God has given you the ability to bounce bullets off your body, and someone slapping you experiences so much pain turning the other cheek would make that person run screaming, I strongly suggest you invest in a gun if you live in a violent, crime-infested area.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)