Is the concept of "the power of prayer" valid?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Clive Donegal profile image67
    Clive Donegalposted 11 years ago

Is the concept of "the power of prayer" valid?

That is, does prayer work? If so, is it because there is a divinity who grants, ignores, or reinterprets petitions or because it fosters hope and self-confidence?

2. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

i'm an atheist but i do believe that for some praying does help. it gives them faith that something out there is looking over them and some people need that .

3. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

Absolutely, unequivocally, yes. Too many times, in too many situations, prayers have been answered for friends and family members. Sometimes prayer is not answered the way we wish it ot be but that does not give one cause to no longer pray.
    I wrote about being a Lighthouse in one of my articles...praying for everyone on your street or in your town so they may be blessed.
    Fervent sincere prayer keeps the lives of those who pray connected and in tune with God. Be still and listen...He does answer...

4. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

Every scientific experiment that has examined prayer has shown that it doesn't produce any significant healing effects.

Why has God never regrown a limb?  Why is it that ostensible "recoveries" are always something that medicine or the body can heal on it's own? 

Furthermore, what kind of God makes you beg and plead for his healing powers?  If I had a child, and it was dying of cancer, I wouldn't say, "you better ask me often and nicely to heal your cancer, otherwise I won't do it."  Is God incapable of doing something without being asked?  Does prayer somehow make it more likely he will show mercy?

It's an absurd little game.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm....are you sure about that? I seem to recall having read something to the contrary about the healing effects of prayer. God does not ask us to "beg and plead." Who do you think designed the healing process in the first place?

2. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why do you pray at all if God doesn't want you to beg?  God already knows what you are going to ask before you ask.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/healt … wanted=all

Sorry.  The evidence is in.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61

That is true, God does know what we need before we ask. Sorry, but I don't need to NY Times to tell me that. it's in the Holy Bible. You should read it sometime 0 you will be amazed.

4. profile image0

I'd rather not get my moral advice from a book that condones slavery.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61

What book is that? You think the Bible condones slavery? You should read it sometime - you'll be amazed!

6. profile image0

Oh I have.  I grew up in the warped world of conservative Christianity, which says every word is divinely inspired, but has terrible trouble dealing with verses like Colossians 3:22, which claims, "Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything..."

7. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61

Too bad - you should study the Bible under some good instruction.

8. Clive Donegal profile image67
      Clive Donegalposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was enjoying the discussion when it was focused on the issue of the power of prayer. I don't see that personal attacks further the discussion--or benefit anyone.

9. profile image0

When Mr. Dubu stopped even attempting to answer objections, it was obvious what was going on.

10. Caries Mission profile image61
      Caries Missionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

God always answers your prayers. He answers them 3 ways. "Yes, No, or Later." The Lord's Prayer says " Your will be done." You cannot pray to God "telling" him what he should do. You need to ask him what you need if it is His will for you to have it.

11. profile image0

Won't you find out what God's will is going to be when the events actually occur?  Are you saying prayer gives you a sort of road map to the future of your life?

12. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61

God answers prayer. He remains sovereign, but prayer has the power to change things. I have no idea what you are referring to about me stopping responding - I have other things to do than answer irrational, hostile posts all day long.

13. profile image0

When presented with empirical evidence, you backed away and said you "knew better."  Sorry.  If you want to remain irrational, be my guest.  It's a free country.  But don't pretend you actually offered a defense of your position.

14. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61

Ridiculous. I'm done here. Not because I "backed away," as you choose to believe, but because any further discussion would be a waste of my time. By the way, I was napping this afternoon.

15. profile image0

I wasn't referring to your lack of response.  I was referring to the lack of engagement with what I actually said.  I apologize for being unclear.

16. Catherine Kane profile image83
      Catherine Kaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Many scientific studies show that people who're prayed for while sick require less pain medication, and heal faster and regain normal function faster.
      This happens whether or not the person knows they're prayed for, which rules out placebo effect

17. profile image0
      whowasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Catherine Kane,

That is a fascinating comment. Can you tell me where to find the studies you refer to as I'd be very interested in reading them? Thank you so much.

18. Catherine Kane profile image83

Found them years ago as reference for magazine article I wrote  on faith as a survival trait. It'd take awhile to dig up, but if you search the medical effects of prayer, you should find plenty (as I recall, at least one from Mayo clinic)

19. profile image0

Hey Catherine.  I'd like some citation please.

20. Conservative Lady profile image70
      Conservative Ladyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sooner - seems as though you are only here to provoke. I will pray for your peace of mind...... I know that prayers are answered simply from my personal experiences in life.

21. profile image0

I ask for evidence for claims.  If you don't have any scientific studies that's fine.  Just don't pretend like it's a well established fact.

Your personal experience is NOT representative of the population as a whole.  That's a hasty generalization.

22. Catherine Kane profile image83

Sooner, it's a fact, but that doesn't mean I need to spend hours doing your research for you. Googled it yourself -you'll see plenty of references.
      Your comments tho make it clear your mind's made up. No point in proof that makes you uncomfortable

23. Conservative Lady profile image70

Here is a link that references several studies regarding this question. http://www.plim.org/PrayerDeb.htm
      I said I (meaning me/myself) know that prayers work because of MY personal experiences - I am not generalizing or claiming to represent anyone b

24. profile image0
      whowasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi everyone, I am not here to provoke. I am genuinely fascinated by this discussion. I followed the link given by Conservative lady but couldn't find any direct refrence to any research, although various experiments were mentioned.

25. Clive Donegal profile image67

Any discussion of faith or prayer seems to evoke contention. I respect the impassioned responses of believers and am perplexed by those who become exercised about others who believe. I understand being atheistic or agnostic, but not the hostility.

26. profile image0

When you claim something, YOU provide evidence.  It's not that difficult of a concept to understand conservative.

You just keep dodging the call for evidence, and it doesn't help your case at all.

27. derek gulbranson profile image78
      derek gulbransonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How can taking a sugar pill can have an effect because you believe it will, but praying to an omnipowerful god can't have the same effect? The question is about the power of prayer, not the existence of the invisible deities they're praying to.

28. Catherine Kane profile image83
    29. profile image0

Katherine, you are ignoring that opposite studies are coming to different conclusions.  If prayer were consistent, that would NEVER occur.

Furthermore, why is it that limbs don't regrow, and that people who rely SOLELY on prayer don't get healed?

30. Catherine Kane profile image83

Sooner
      Why don't medications/operations always work to heal people either? Because health is not black and white. Both approaches have been found to be statistically effective, but neither works always.
      Knew you'd ignore proof- this was for WhoWas

31. profile image0

Medicine isn't divinely inspired and supposed to be at the helm of an infinitely powerful God who is perfect.  He seems rather limited in what he can do to help his own children, and needs the help of modern medicine to give him a boost.

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

Yes, prayer works. I have heard countless stories of answered prayer. I pray a lot for God to help me find my keys and He always does! But I have heard amazing stories of how God has cured people of cancer and other serious illness or provided for people in other ways that are inexplicable except as an answer to prayer.

However - I do think it is important to pray correctly. God isn't Santa Clause and does not grant our every wish! We need to approach Him with a heart of reverence, gratitude and humility and not always to ask for something, but also to worship Him and "talk" to Him.

He has said, "In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (1 Thessalonians 5:18) and He said, "But seek you first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33).

"The righteous cry, and the LORD hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles." (Psalm 34:17) None of us are "righteous" apart from the saving grace of God.

Jesus said, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hears my voice, and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will eat with him, and he with me." (Revelation 3:20)

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)

"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." (Matthew 5:45). He said, "And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." (Luke 11:9)

You raise some excellent points. In particular I am interested in the idea of "hearing God's voice."
      Is it like Jiminy Cricket or more like (inspired) intuition?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61

If you are really interested, read the Bible and pray about it and you will find out. Also find a Bible-based church to assist you in your journey.

3. Clive Donegal profile image67

I am not sure why you assume that I don't. In fact, I do read the Bible every day, and the Quran most days. I am not sure what you mean by "Bible-based" church. Which churches do not meet that description?

4. Conservative Lady profile image70

Very thorough and useful answer Dubuquedogtrainer, thank you for sharing some great references for all as well. Take care and God Bless.

6. Freeway Flyer profile image83
    Freeway Flyerposted 11 years ago

I would lean toward the latter, although I can't say for sure. Prayer can have several valuable functions, but the idea that my prayer significantly alters the course of events in the world is (to me) ridiculous. At least as often as not, prayer clearly fails to prevent horrific things from happening in the world, and if you believe in free will, God would have to waive this repeatedly in order to answer prayers that require large numbers of people to make certain choices.

http://freewayflyer.hubpages.com/hub/Fu … -of-Prayer

7. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 11 years ago

Perhaps it's only a placebo effect....but I would always be happy to pray for someone who is in distress.....  I think that I've seen "results" in the past.....

1. profile image0

I won't stop someone from praying for me.  There's just not much empirical evidence it will actually make an impact.

2. Catherine Kane profile image83

As previously noted, there's a wealth of empirical evidence that it's helpful. This is something that mainstream medicine has been studying for over 10 years now

8. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 11 years ago

It works for me. I do believe that our prayers need to be sincere and have 100% faith on what we are praying for. Our prayers are answered in many different ways. You will be able to sense or know whenever your prayers are being answered. It is those who lose faiths will find themselves questioning why their prayers are not being answered.

9. Civil War Bob profile image61
    Civil War Bobposted 11 years ago

Prayer works.  I can produce 77 spiral notebooks and part of my computer in which I've recorded 207,184 specific answers since 12/13/1980...slightly more than a series of coincidences over almost 32 years.  Granted, this 'evidence' will not sway anyone not given to believing it, but there it is.
    I should point out that the only prayer God guarantees to answer is "All who call on the name of the Lord will be saved."  Once that is done, the Born Again person (John 3:3) can rely on this verse, "... let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4)...
    In fact, John 15:16 says, "You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you."
    Sorry about the length.  You might check my hubs, "Just How Efficacious (Aint That A Great Word?!) IS Prayer?" and "    Spiritual Warfare Rules of Engagement"
    Have a great day!!

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61

Well said!

10. ibbarkingmad profile image60
    ibbarkingmadposted 11 years ago

I say 100% yes. And it is because there is a higher power who I have come to know and love as my Heavenly Father. That being said, this is an issue of faith. This can't be proven by evidence that I can show you. It is something were you have to test it out on your own. Testing the principle loses you nothing and gains you everything. It is a spiritual application of the scientific method.
    God does answer prayers. Some of them are yes, many are no or maybe. I do not presume to question God's will because there is so much I do not know. I will say that God loves people who are proactive and self starters. Revelation comes on the move.

11. Catherine Kane profile image83
    Catherine Kaneposted 11 years ago

I'd say yes.
    There are a number of studies in medical journals that show that sick folk who are prayed for, recover faster, require less pain meds, get normal function back more quickly, and, in the case of serious or potentially terminal diseases, survive longer and are more likely to go into remission.
    And the funny thing is that this holds true whether the person knows they're being prayed for or not (which rules out the placebo factor)

When the statistics and the data are such that medical personnel are taking this seriously, you know that something's going on there more than wishful thinking...

Prayer's good for you. Prayer is a potential survival characteristic...

I have seen the same--or similar--reports.
      Thank you.

12. Quirinus profile image60
    Quirinusposted 11 years ago

Yes, if one believes in the power of prayer. Our belief has the power to change our physical reality or experiences.

13. Burgeon profile image80
    Burgeonposted 11 years ago

When you pray, you find peace. When you have peace, you are sober to find solutions. This is my understanding about the "power of prayer" in some circumstances. But there are other forms of prayer power beyond my imagination.

1. profile image0

VERY interesting way to look at the "power of prayer."  I'm voting your comment up since it was so clever.

2. Clive Donegal profile image67

Is that the same as the "power of positive thinking"?

14. derek gulbranson profile image78
    derek gulbransonposted 11 years ago

Absolutely. If a placebo can make you feel better, so can prayer.

There is no evidence to suggest an invisible deity is involved.

15. Ramsa1 profile image61
    Ramsa1posted 11 years ago

I can't explain it but it does work. There is a higher power and he does answer prayer, but sometimes he says no.

16. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 11 years ago

Absolutely. Although I do not understand why or even how, indeed there is a power in prayer. If you read my hub, titled There and Back from this link, http://connorj.hubpages.com/hub/There-a … -Version-2
    Perhaps it will help you begin to see the hidden world that is all around us. Perhaps it will not; however, if you read it, it may indeed begin to affect you away from your dis-belief in the power of prayer. I would also suggest reading some C.S. Lewis or perhaps even J.R.R. Tolkien...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)