Who has been the most entertaining President we've had?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (28 posts)
  1. tobacco lover profile image57
    tobacco loverposted 14 years ago

I can only really remember as far back as LBJ.  Some of you who are older may recall further back.  The most entertaining one for me was Nixon.  Paranoid and maybe a bit off in the head he was always fun to watch.

LBJ was a character himself.  I was actually sad to see him go.

Runners up would have to be Reagan and Clinton.  Reagan could come up with some really good lines sometimes and Clinton kept us glued to the TV to see if he really had sex with that woman. 

So what are your favorites?

2. blue dog profile image59
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

"a family in allentown, pennsylvania -- i campaigned with them the other day... under my plan, they get $1,800 of tax  relief.  under vice president gore's plan, they get $145 of tax relief.  now you tell me who stands on the side of the fence." gwb 10.03.2000

i'm not sure if it qualifies as entertaining, but it's definitely in a league of its own.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  lol  I was afraid to look at a press conference for years and hid in Iowa City, IA going to school, a safe bastion of so many things during those years.  No lie!  smile

3. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Gee Dub for sure (I admit, I've only been around for a handful). The guy was like comic gold - the stand-ups had it so easy for those eight years. The material wrote itself!

4. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

Bill Clinton for sure.
    You never knew what was lurking under his desk!!!LOL

1. RooBee profile image82
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

5. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Brezhnev - if you ask me tongue

6. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I loved Ronald Reagan and the humor he inspired.
    Rubbery figures had a permanent skit on him. It was called "The President's brain is missing!"
    An Australian comic crew showed scenes from a western that Reagan was the good guy in. The fight scene is so funny!
    He looked like a cartoon character in that terrible scene.
    Every time Regan punched the bad guy, the punch rolled the black hatted bad guy along the wall of a shed. The scene just went on and on...he punches, the bad guy rolls along the shed wall still standing, punch, roll, punch, roll, punch... till they ran out of shed!
    It had me on the floor laughing! They showed this just as he got running for election. smile

7. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

So we should be looking for presidents for their entertainment value?
    Let's have a TV program-- "America's Got President: Political Pop Culture".
    I'd like to see some moral, common-sense leadership.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd argue we have that now.  Though some would disagree, definitely.

And 'they' make fun of everyone.  Sometimes it does get a little much...not necessarily SNL skits, wink, but the more mundane bilge.

8. blue dog profile image59
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

"dick cheney and i do not want this nation to be in a recession.  we want anybody who can find work to be able to find work."  gwb 12.05.2000

9. Bibowen profile image87
    Bibowenposted 14 years ago

Definitely a toss up between Carter and Clinton. With Carter, how could a man with that grin be so cheerless?

But in the end, I think I'm with P.J. O'Rourke on this one. In comparing Carter to Clinton, I think that Clinton is going to win this one in that at least Carter had "a nicer wife, a smarter baby brother, [and] a less frightening mom..." Unlike Clinton's $300 hair cut, Carter never paid more than $2.50 for a buzz "if appearances are anything to go by."

And furthermore (these are quotes)

Carter had governed a more important state,
    Carter had once held a job
    He came from a more cosmopolitan home town,
    And he had a more charismatic vice president
    It took Carter weeks to become a national laughingstock
    They were on drugs during the Carter administration--they had an excuse
    and
    Joseph Califano was prettier than Donna Shalala

(I'll stop here unless you disagree with me in which case I'm going to have to continue)

10. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Back in the day Danny Carvey was hilarious when he performed his skits of George Bush sr. on SNL.  Bush invited him to the White House to perform the skit upon leaving office.

11. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Yes I thought that was nice of Bush and a big gesture. smile

12. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Wouldn't it be an insult to vote for anyone other than Ronald Reagan on this one? I mean, he's the one and only Hollywood Hero Prez.
    Just like Ahnold is our very entertaining governator here in CA.
    Too bad. I liked him when he first took office. But I'm not laughing much these days!

13. Tom Koecke profile image60
    Tom Koeckeposted 14 years ago

If the consideration is who accidentally entertained us with poorly worded statements, GW is tough to beat. However, if the question which President displayed the best humor, it would go hands down to Abraham Lincoln with JFK a distant second.

Abe quotes:
    "If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?"
    "These capatilists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people."
    "Things may come to those who wait, but only things left behind by those who hustle."
    "If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my ax."
    "No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens."
    "I fear explanations explanatory of things explained."
    "He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I have met." (about a lawyer)

JFK quotes:
    "Do you realize the responsibility I carry? I'm the only man standing between Richard Nixon and the White House."
    "I just received the following wire from my generous Daddy; Dear Jack, Don't buy a single vote more than is necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a landslide."
    "Mothers all want their sons to grow up to be president, but they don't want them to become politicians in the process."
    "The pay is good and I can walk to work."
    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

14. profile image52
    friskeyperposted 14 years ago

I think Ronald Reagan was great with humor. Almost every speech had a little humor in it . And how can you crack a joke after being shot with out being quick-witted

1. Bibowen profile image87
      Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, if you are thinking "whose sense of humor was the funniest and made us laugh the most", it's Reagan. The assassination is a good point: even under pressure, Reagan cranked out the one-liners. That tells you that his humor was mostly uncontrived. He really thought that way (and that's funny).

But if the question is "who was the most fun to laugh at" it's got to be Clinton. I mean, I think Leno made more jokes about the Clintons after he was out of office! The material was so rich, he couldn't put it down.

In terms of mannerisms, I think Nixon was the most fun to imitate "I'm not a crook." He'd throw his hands in the air and give the "V" for "Victory" sign with his jowls flapping in the wind. But, I don't know if Nixon was in-touch enough to know that the "V" sign was also the hand sign for "peace" in the 60s. That's funny b/c no one denounced the beatniks more than Nixon, yet he looked like he was trying to "fit in."

Clinton is very polished in one sense, but he's such a buffoon in another. That's even funnier than Nixon. Think Inspector Clouseau.

15. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

The most entertaining President of USA will be Ronald Reagan. When he was planning to declare war on Iran for its taking hostage of American soldiers, immediately on taking oath, the US soldiers were released at the same time when he took oath on 20th Jan.1980. That was one of the most entertaining and thrilling moments in history.

16. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

I've always thought Teddy Roosevelt must have been a particularly entertaining president to have around. He had so much more personality than these modern ones.

17. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Oh there were so many moments in history. Ford, the cameras all watching his every step after he fell down the steps exiting the plane. Eisenhower with his clubs. Johnson picking up the dog by it's ears. Nixon was loved by the comics. George Bush Sr. in the boat being attacked by a wild bunny (too funny). Carter and his brother Billy. Reagan was also a funny man. But the biggest comedy ever is what is going on now. Not too entertaining tho'.
    almost forgot that wagging finger of Bill's.

18. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

I haven't been entertained by any of them. lol

19. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Bill Clinton. He had Charisma but took it a few steps too far.

20. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 14 years ago

John F. Kennedy was far away the most entertaining (and he was on television with frequent press conferences where we could see and appreciate his sense of humor. I love the Lincoln quotes, but they weren't "live" on TV.) JFK was witty and quick while at the same time young and genuine. We laughed with Kennedy, not at him.

21. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

Bill Clinton....he didn't inhale a joint...he didn't have sex with that woman...Now that....is entertainment! smile

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second that! haha it was always fun when yet another of his jilted lovers crawled out of the woodwork smile

plus he has a lot of charisma and is fun to watch, even now...

22. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton.

I swear I think the rest of the world didn't mess with us when Reagan was in office because they thought he was nuts and could nuke em at anytime.

Remember the sound check thing at his weekly address?

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia. We begin bombing in five minutes,"

Now could Obama get away with that?

And Slick Willy was just plain bullet proof.
    Forget the Oval Office, him and Monica Lewinsky could have done it on the White House lawn in front of TV cameras and afterward Bill would have been like " Wha? I didn't do that."
    And as long as the economy was good, we'd have just laughed and said " Oh Bill!"

23. Dale Nelson profile image37
    Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

Got to say Jed Bartlett from West wing......seems to get his whole day crammed into an hour in between ad breaks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)