What was your favorite musical era ?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (30 posts)
  1. tony0724 profile image61
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

I grew up In the late 70s and early 80s and came up with the punk rock movement . It was a very exciting time . I liked the 60s too. But what era did It for you ?

2. coyjay profile image66
    coyjayposted 14 years ago

Without question, the sixties was my favorite era in music. Bob Dylan , Simon and Gurfunkel, Moody Blues, Joan Baez. This was music that had words that really meant something. Can any piece match Dylan's Blowing in the Wind, or The Times They are a Changing? Or, Simon and Garfunkel's The Sounds of Silence, and The Boxer. I still play sixties music and it hasn't lost it's magic.

coyjay

tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree that the music of the sixties was not only great artistically but so much more socially relevant !

3. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

It was the 80's for me - so much good music...

I loved the 80s !

1. profile image0
        mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just cannot get enough 80's CD's or MP3 downloads...

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i second that!

agreed !

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I was teenager in the late 60's, but I have to say I think a lot of the pop music in the 80's and early 90's was pretty good.  It was couple of "notches" before my time, but I think there was something very nice about the Doo Wop (sp?) era.

5. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I love all kinds of music from the 50' to today you can see I don't really have an era but if I had to pick at least two it would be the 50's and the 90's. I love oldies, hip hop. jazz and blues. smile

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

My favorite musical eras were the 40s (before my time but I love the music), the 60s and the 80s.

Big Band was the precursor to Rock n Roll !

7. marcofratelli profile image77
    marcofratelliposted 14 years ago

I really got into music in from the early 90s, starting with Michael Jackson's "Black or White" video. That's when I started taking notice of it all! 90s is my favorite - the whole decade was great.

8. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 14 years ago

As a little kid, when I heard "Jailhouse Rock" I was fascinated! It sure was real music! Then onwards to Cliff Richards, Billy Vaughn, Mario Lanza ... Flash forward ... Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Bob Dylan, Bee Gees, Chicago, Three Dog Nite ... flash forward ... Madonna. Period.

9. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

I thought I knew what I liked when I was a teenager, then quickly learned that I liked the old country music my parents used to listen to.  Waylon Jennings days were great.

I tried to listen to rock music, but didn't come up with much I liked.  I still listen to Waylon Jennings songs that I liked when I was a kid.

10. profile image0
    gwennies penposted 14 years ago

All music is wonderful in itself, don't you think?  Even some of the 40's had their day in movies and now on cd's.  I prefer 50's and 60's...basically soft rock, smooth jazz and a little of country and classical...but in reality, I think it all has a place in our lives at some point.smile

11. europewalker profile image80
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

Definitely the 80's

12. laquonda1987 profile image59
    laquonda1987posted 14 years ago

im an late 80's baby so i would say the early to mid 90's

13. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

70's, yes, definitely; real musicians...I used to skip over the 80's, but they are growing on me.  90's, yep.  I'm an REM and the like fan... 

I actually like all different kinds of music, especially blues and jazz.  Found out I like Regaton...Latin/hiphop/reggae recently...interesting mix!

14. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

I have a real soft spot for the 80s.
    ::sigh::
    But basically anything before 2000.
    I don't know what happened, but about 2000 it seems like they dropped a "dumb bomb" on the music industry.
    I blame MTV.
    Or rather what it became.

BTW, on a similar note, remember when music videos were like mini movies?
    They actually told stories?

I blame the Boy Bands !

15. bethziemer profile image56
    bethziemerposted 14 years ago

For me it would have to be the 60's and the 70's. A lot of music genre's were born in that time, it was a time of birth and creation in the artist movement, that has given us the music we now enjoy today.

16. Rhianna_Lee profile image61
    Rhianna_Leeposted 14 years ago

Seeing as how I've been only alive 22 years didn't get to experienced first had half of the music generations.  My favourite music eras though are prolly 70's punk rock movement becuase it was the first stepping stone away from mainstream.  Which then leads me to my love of the passive nihilist way of grunge in the early 90's.  I hate the word "indie" rock becuase to me honestly it doesn't really matter if you are on an independent or major record label.  I do love the whole alternative/ "indie" rock sound in general ranging from early 90's to current date.  Then closley relating punk I enjoy 80's new wave music and sound.  I like anything pretty much raw to sh*t musically... don't care if it is "bad" or "good".  I like the mod crappe.

17. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

oh boy, sabreblade hit the nail on the head, what happened? i grew up in the 60's and listen to music from the 1920's to new and must say that every musical form has its greatness and a whole lot of stinkers.

18. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

My favorite eras are the 1800's in general (big classical and opera fan) and the late 1960's-early 1970's, but I like a pretty eclectic mix of music from all eras, I think.

I listen to classical when I leave work , It calms me down !

19. Joelle Burnette profile image71
    Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years ago

I'm an 80s girl. My hubby wonders why I have satellite radio on my car when it is always stuck on the 80s channel. (With a brief respite for Prairie Home Companion on the weekend)

I like Prairie Home and " Wait Wait dont tell me ! "

20. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Every era does indeed have its musical greats, but if I had to pick one particular era, it would be music's Romantic Period for the sheer volume of musical heavy-hitters that period produced.

21. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I love 90's rock.  Grunge, and the rest.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)